GZ33 Rectifier? (Read 1825 times)
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

GZ33 Rectifier?
12/18/21 at 22:54:38

Has anyone else tried a Mullard GZ33 rectifier? I'm interested in your experience.

I guess I hadn't spent enough money on tubes lately and have been looking (in vain) for a reasonably priced backup fat base smooth plate GZ34 when I decided to take a chance on the GZ33. Technically it is essentially a higher current version of the GZ34. My pair arrived today and I've got to say they really sound fantastic. Images are big and tactile, the sound stage is huge and the overall tonality is rich and maybe even dense (as Will might say) but still fast, detailed and extended. At least as good as my fat base smooth plate GZ34s.

These tubes aren't cheap, but they are considerably less than any of the heritage GZ34s and I'd recommend anyone who is lusting after a fancy GZ34 but is unwilling to pay that kind of money consider the GZ33 instead. Of course this is JMO, FWIW, YMMV.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
__Jon__
Verified Member

Re: GZ33 Rectifier?
Reply #1 - 12/22/21 at 10:29:29

I think I might have one of these somewhere (either a gz33 or a gz37). Will check when I get back in town. I still have months on the waitlist but will keep it in mind for the future.

IP Logged
__Jon__
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/01/22 at 17:09:11

Turns out I have a pair of  EL33s and a gz37. The latter was pretty good in my DAC but not as good as others.  I’m holding on to it to try in my Decware preamp once I get off the waitlist sometime next fall. The EL33 power tubes in the DAC, working through the ZMA, transformed my listening room into a smoky bar room. The most warm and “tubie” sound off all the tubes that I tried, though really too much and lacking in detail and airiness in the upper frequencies. Still enjoyable for a few less well recorded songs I enjoy but don’t normally prefer to listen to using the ZMA.  Happy New Year!

Jon

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 01/02/22 at 15:21:03

Just FWIW the GZ37 is rated for a 16 uF first power supply cap (or maybe just 4 uF, depending on where you look). For me personally I'm not really hung up on the capacitor rating, I pay attention to the maximum anode current, which is 0.75 A at 500 Volts i.e. really high for a preamp so I wouldn't hesitate to use it, but that is JMO/YMMV.

IP Logged
whynotnothing
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/13/24 at 10:24:42

I bought a few Mullard GZ33's from Billington export ltd.

In my UFO2.1, it flashed/sparked 2-3 times on start up, then it went through discoloration, sort of turned brownish, definitely far from clear/transparent glass prior to play time. I think it had about an hour - not more than two - of play time.

Would that be normal/expected or is that a sign of early failure? I bought 3 pieces, so if need be I can send pics of how the nib NOS looks like compared to this shortly used one.

Other than that it sounded good, but the most noticeable thing was that bass seemed a bit boomy. It could be a bad input tube matching? I used the french mullard RT e188cc/7308.

I know I ask a lot of questions, but what input tube could/should be a good match for the GZ33's?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 03/13/24 at 10:44:24

That is definitely NOT normal. 2000 hours or so would be normal. That was a defective or damaged tube.

You're using a very good input tube--one that with the 6P15P tubes I used it with gave a tight bass and a full treble. . . I think only an Amperex Holland 7308 would top it in my own system. If you want to tighten up the bass try perhaps a German or Eastern European tube. . . . Or the Wathen Cryotone ECC88, a wonderful all around rich sounding tube.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
whynotnothing
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 03/13/24 at 13:29:34

Alright, thanks for the advice. I guess I'll write back in order to get the replacement.

My understanding is that maximum allowed capacitor value after the tube far exceeds the value that's in the UFO, and that no adapters are needed to run them. So I wasn't expecting any issues.

I also got a Ken-Rad hanging filament 5U4G and a 5Z3 Brimar hanging filament to play with, but I expect to settle with the GZ33 in case this was just a single defective/damaged tube

Based on some notes I gathered from this place, people usually recommend the 7308 with the GZ32/34 family, assumed the French Mullard 7308 should be a good match for GZ33 as well. So I still have hopes that bass being loose is the result of the tube being defective, will have to give it another run with another GZ33.

I was wondering if anyone had tried the WE 396A with the GZ33? Or the Tesla 6CC42 or something alike.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #7 - 03/13/24 at 21:35:37

FWIW I agree with Lon, that is definitely a bad tube. I’ve done a lot of businesses with Martin at Billington, and while I’ve never had an issue I’m confident he’ll make things right. Also FWIW I used GZ33s in a pair of UFOs for about a year with no problems, and the same tubes for a while in my UFO25s.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #8 - 03/13/24 at 22:04:08

Just to add another experience, I have been using the Mullard GZ33 and Sohpia 274B in my amp, going back and forth over time, and I like them both.  I have had no problems with the GZ33, and I too, got it from
Billington.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
whynotnothing
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 03/15/24 at 11:55:04

idd, it was a faulty piece.

A working GZ33 sounds glorious, very happy with it, I'm a noob in terms of describing what I hear, all I can say is all things shinning with this one and nothing to complain about, thank you very much for the recommendation!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print