Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 22:56:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Big Betsy’s or Betsy’s+Bass (Read 2482 times)
M_P
Verified Member

Big Betsy’s or Betsy’s+Bass
12/17/21 at 01:04:11

I posted a few weeks ago about building a system for my photo studio, but have new questions with new parameters so I figured a new post was in order.

I finished building a pair of Betsy’s using specs and advice graciously provided by Randy Rash. I doubled 3/4” Baltic birch for the baffles and tripled the same for the bases. I used the standard Wild Burro drivers. The pair exceeded my expectations sound-wise, but think I can do even better for my next set.

So now I’m waffling between building a pair of Steve’s medium size Lii F15 Betsy clones or a pair of standard sized Betsy’s with Lii F8 drivers and a single larger baffle with a Lii 15” woofer for bass plus a sub amplifier to drive it.

I haven’t run any numbers, but I’m guessing the two options would be similar in cost when all’s said and done. In any case, the main reason for my indecision comes down to sound quality. I’m guessing the F8s + W15 will have a bit more reach top end and bottom, but everything I read makes me think there might just be some magic to the F15s in the bigger baffles. There’s also the hassle of integrating the F8s and the W15, I suppose.

FWIW, I mostly listen to acoustic stuff—jazz, a lot of female vocals, a bit of Bach, a bit of Chopin, nothing too raucous, strenuous, or loud.

I’m a newb, for sure when it come to all this. I have the woodworking skills—I was a cabinetmaker much of my life. But when it comes to evaluating the equipment with respect to sound quality I could sure use some help. So can you guys weigh in on which setup you’d prefer and why?

Michael

Home office: Mac mini => SMSL SU-9 => SE84UFO2 => Omega CAMS or Bottlehead Crack => Sennheiser HD-6XX
Studio: Mac Pro/Roon => Bluesound Node => Elekit TU8200DX => DIY Lii F-15 Big Betsy's
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: Big Betsy’s or Betsy’s+Bass
Reply #1 - 12/17/21 at 12:09:57

FWIW I have a pair of F15 drivers in Randy's smaller + baffles, 1,5" thick curly cherry in my dedicated listening room. No subwoofer. I find this minimalist set up just magical w/ proper room treatment and pulled out ~3' from the rear wall.

Granted you don't get the foundational deep bass, but on most music I listen to I don't find the speakers lacking much. YRMV, but for me they sound amazing.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
M_P
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/17/21 at 16:35:44

Thanks, HK. Your review seems typical with respect to the magical qualities of the Lii F15 and Randy's Betsy design in general. I do wonder how the marked difference in baffle sizes affects the sound. There's not a lot of real estate left on Randy's baffle after the F15 drops in. That's not a criticism in any way, obviously they sound great. I just wonder about the difference in sound between the Caintuck Lii 15 and Steve's much larger baffle.

I notice you also have a pair of Omegas. A comparison between your Betsy's and the Omegas would be useful to me since I have a pair of Omega CAMs driven by a SE84UFO2 and enjoy the output quite a bit. Thanks!

Home office: Mac mini => SMSL SU-9 => SE84UFO2 => Omega CAMS or Bottlehead Crack => Sennheiser HD-6XX
Studio: Mac Pro/Roon => Bluesound Node => Elekit TU8200DX => DIY Lii F-15 Big Betsy's
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #3 - 12/17/21 at 18:41:55

MP,

What size is your room?

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/17/21 at 18:43:40

M_P,

The only thing gained by the larger baffles is a denser presentation, slightly taller soundstage and bass response is a bit tighter. Tradeoff is a heavier speaker that's harder to move around.

Tonally the Omega SAHO speakers are similar to the baffles. They dig a bit deeper in the bass, but not much. The baffles are a bit more dynamic and have a more expansive soundstage. I listen to the Betsy's 90% of the time.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
M_P
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 12/17/21 at 22:31:47

Geno,

The room is nearly 20’x40’ with 16’ ceilings. I’m a documentary photographer and it’s my editing and printing workspace. The windows are all covered with very thick multi-layered cardboard and accordion shades. The ceiling has large beams and the surface is the bottom of the 6” thick floor above. I have arranged the smaller Betsy’s I just built in the center of the long wall. There’s a rug and some soft and hard furniture facing them.

Michael

IP Logged
M_P
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 12/17/21 at 22:41:41

HK,

Your leaning toward the Betsy’s over the Omegas says a lot. I’m familiar with the Omega alnico sound and love it. Looking forward to hearing the F15’s. I’ve certainly got the space for the bigger versions in my studio, but I am questioning the weight.

Michael

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #7 - 12/18/21 at 00:25:36

MP,

With a room that size, go full size with the Baffles. That way you maximize what is possible with the drivers. Forum member Archie has the large Baffles with a room about your size. Archie, you out there?

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/18/21 at 14:19:52

M_P,

I agree 100% with Genos suggestion on the full sized baffles given your room size, it's enormous. I have a much smaller listening space. The larger baffles will give you a much better listening experience.

HK

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/18/21 at 17:06:41

Yes, I agree!  Full size baffles.  Although I've never heard anything smaller.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
M_P
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 12/18/21 at 17:28:46

OK. I’m pretty well convinced to build the medium sized (35 1/2” H) clones. Now I need a bit of advice on materials. I see Steve offers these in a range of species from Poplar, at the low end of hardness and density on up to some pretty rugged domestic and exotic hardwoods.

I sold my shop and all the equipment when I left PA. Now when I build anything it’s pretty much just cut and assemble. So, the easier choice for me is Baltic birch. It’s pretty straightforward, even without much equipment, to glue up layers of 3/4” BB ply. My educated guess is that Baltic birch will be as effective, sonically, as the solid wood options especially considering the low-density options. Any thoughts?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 12/18/21 at 17:39:24

Two thoughts.

1:  If you're building the Medium, just go ahead and build the Big.

2:  Look for Maple butcher block in the rough size needed.  I've found several options on-line.  1 1/2" or 1 3/4" is available.  Go for the 1 3/4" given the choice.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/19/22 at 23:28:54

What kind of hardware do you use to mount the Lii f15 to 1 1/2 maple butcher block? Just received my F15 today and the countertop yesterday.

Any thoughts on mounting from the back vs flushing them on the front of the baffle?

Thanks

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 01/20/22 at 00:00:46

I just used big wood screws, maybe #14?  I predrilled and also used a screw to run in the hole without the driver in place.  I like the look of the surface mount on the front.

IMG_2770a_001.jpg

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/20/22 at 00:26:27

What no audiophile screws? Thanks Archie

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 01/20/22 at 00:53:31

LOL!  I'm sure an Internet search will turn some up!   Grin

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 01/20/22 at 11:56:53

JEC,

No audiophile screws here, but I can apply a non resonant ceramic coating (patent pending) and then cryogenically treat the screws at a cost of $300/screw. Guaranteed results! 😆

HK

IP Logged
Shomei’a
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 01/22/22 at 17:21:47

I’m planning a build using the Lii Silver 10’s. Probably something on the order of 24-26 inches wide.  From everything I read I will need to beef up the lower registers and lower base.

Steve sells the Z-rock with his 10 inch OB’s. I’m wondering if I should go this route, or build a “Betsy” with a Lii W-15.  Dual OB base units would not be an option; I’d have to go with a single summed channel.

Anyone have experience or suggestions about which way to go?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 01/22/22 at 18:55:58

I use a ZR2 with F15s in big baffles.  Steve posted that he did not use the ZR2 with them.  I did pull it for awhile thinking I didn't need it or it was taking something away but I eventually put it back in and I think it considerably enhances the sound up and down the range.  For OBs, I think even Steve preferred the F15 to the 10s.  If size is an issue the calculus will change.

If you haven't yet, spend the time to go through Steve's Big Betsy Thread.  I think he covers all of this.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
M_P
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 01/23/22 at 22:11:24

Hi Folks,

The baffles and thick rear plinths are built, all according to Steve’s Medium ZF15M plans except that I’m using baltic birch. I’m about to build what I’ll call the front outriggers, but am now second guessing the need for them. I see lots of folks following Steve’s Big Betsy adventures have built without them and the disparity begs the following questions:

=> Will leaving the front outriggers off lead to an imbalance issue?

=> Is there any consensus on whether those outriggers affect sound quality?

Michael

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #20 - 01/24/22 at 20:04:59

Michael,

Without the outriggers, I don't think the base per Steve's design, is deep enough to prevent it from leaning forward. Making the base several inches deeper will even things out. I do not think that lack of outriggers will affect the sound.

Another suggestion to help with vibration, is to use lead shot on top of the bases. This was Archie's suggestion back when folks first started building bigger baffles based on Steves scaled up Caintuck baffle. I am using several bags of shot on each speaker, but Archie made a box on each speaker base and filled them with the shot. Really cool idea. Archie, photo please.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 01/24/22 at 20:08:05

One

IMG_2741_a_001.jpg

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 01/24/22 at 20:10:19

Two

IMG_2742_a_001.jpg

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
M_P
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 01/25/22 at 15:26:47

Thanks, everyone. Thanks especially for the pictures, Archie. I have a bunch of surplus concrete pavers I thought of piling on, maybe I'll try it.

I do already have the outriggers made so I might as well use them.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print