Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 11:51:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
circuit ground and board shield jumper? (Read 1724 times)
one6180339
Verified Member

circuit ground and board shield jumper?
12/12/21 at 02:08:40

The latest PDF manual dated March 3, 2019 contains this admonition "Also don’t forget to install a jumper between the circuit ground and the board shield (ground plane). There is no specific location marked for this jumper."

I do not understand what this means. What is the distinction between circuit ground and "board shield (ground plane)".

I plan to connect the "chassis ground" point directly to the earth ground lug of my power receptacle. From what I can see in the diagrams and holding the board up to a light, this will connect all grounds in the circuit to earth.

IP Logged
nipsy
Verified Member

Re: circuit ground and board shield jumper?
Reply #1 - 02/21/22 at 21:56:50

I'm wondering if you received an answer to this question. I, too, am wondering what it means and what, if anything, I need to do. I've been running my newly built amp for about 12 hours or so and feel as though the sound just keeps getting better, clearer, fuller and more nuanced.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/21/22 at 23:09:16

Are you guys building this on a board or in a metal chassis?

IP Logged
nipsy
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 02/22/22 at 00:10:50

Right now mine is on a wood board though eventually I'd like to put it in a wood sided box with a sheet aluminum top that I bought from Hammond.

I'm hoping to install the anniversary mods tonight if I can figure out where exactly everything goes.

IP Logged
one6180339
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 02/22/22 at 01:05:12

Per reply #1 in the thread "ZKIT1 oddities - missing 0.1uf capacitors?" the newer revision boards do not need it.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1642393268/1#1

I completed my build on a wood board and just went directly from the ground lug of the IEC socket to the "chassis ground" point of the board.

Amp is running well and sounding sweet!

I have been working on a full write up of my build experience that I intend to post. I have learned so much from reading about others' builds and seeing their pictures and hope others can learn from mine, even though it is not particularly refined  ;)

IMG_4656.jpg
  IP Logged
nipsy
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 02/22/22 at 03:31:49

Thank you for the clarification. I can now rest easy on that element. I, too, just finished my build and am working on a narrative describing my process, successes and pitfalls alike.

I am really enjoying the sound of the amp. It seems to have some qualities that I can't quite put my finger on or describe. To tell you the truth, I'm not entirely sure I can tell the difference between my $300 Nobsound and the ZKIT. I *think* I can, but then I second guess myself...and then, like now, listening to Fela Kuti, I'm absolutely positive that the sound is magical and transformational.  

image0_2.jpeg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print