03/28/24 at 22:33:24 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Custom Omegas (Read 2409 times)
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

New Custom Omegas
12/11/21 at 03:18:08

Finally made a decision on replacing my S3HOXRS, and it wasn't an easy decision.  The reason for the change was that in the new smaller space the S3's visually competed for attention far too much.  But what to replace them with??  There was no way that I was going to give up much if any of the speed.  

After considerable discussion and thought I finally ordered a custom pair of OMEGAS.  The cabinet size is 24"Hx14"Wx11.5"D.  The drivers are the new 8", a pair per speaker in a staggered HO configuration.  My wife chose the finish, quartered Macassar Ebony.

Besides the size and proportions what finalized the decision was that these were described as "the RS5's on steroids"... not giving up much if anything on speed and adding slam.  

I guess I'll have to wait and see if it all comes together.  Getting them sometime in late Jan or Feb 2021.  My wife keeps asking "now are you sure that I'll like these as much?"  The threat is not all that subtle  :'(.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Re: New Custom Omegas
Reply #1 - 12/12/21 at 23:49:27

Hey John, thats real great news! I'm glad you found your speakers. Im sure many of us are looking forward to hearing about them!

Brad

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/17/22 at 13:20:33

The new Omega speakers should be ready to ship soon.  In the meantime I have had a pair of custom stands made:

stands.jpg
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #3 - 02/20/22 at 16:22:22

JOMAN- I love the stands, please post some photo's and your impressions when the speakers arrive. Did you fab the stands or get a local shop to help you out? Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/20/22 at 17:49:40

Thanks Chris,

This was a collaboration between a friend who does custom fabrication, myself and with approval from the better 3/4's.

They're patterned after similar stands; KLH Model 5 and JBL L100 with changes and additions of my own:

1. Adjustable feet.  Over the years I've always struggled with the process of placing speakers in a room and then levelling them.  So I decided to use Herbies Sliders to facilitate this and to isolate the stands.  The sliders thread into T nuts that are held in place by steel epoxy.

2. The tubes are sand filled prior to welding.  To prevent the sand from moving around while being welded I used a 1/2" cork/rubber composite as plugs and inserted them so that they are slightly away from the ends.

3. On top of the 1"x2" tubes is a very high density crumb rubber commercial carpet cushion held in place by two sided contact tape

4. There are two additional tabs to the one that you see.  These are meant to support an additional isolating base if I choose to further experiment.

5.  I was going to have the stands powered coated but when I saw the options that were available I choose the paint finish that you see.  This is the type of finish that is put on aluminum wheels.  It does have a very subtle metal flake that is not in your face but adds interest.  The paint does shift hue with changing light conditions going from what you see to a blacker look.

I didn't use any "science" in all of this just what I've learned over the years.  I actually made made a model out of wood first and then decided on the the final selection of tube size and dimensions.

Initially I thought I would save some money and end up with exactly what I wanted.  Part two was accomplished.  I will post pictures when I get the speakers and a subsequent review.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 02/20/22 at 18:25:01

It normally doesn't make that much difference to me, BUT when I see something so well made as these stands, I just have to comment. They look to be in square and that is hard enough at times to get right. The finishing of the metal before painting is impressive as is the welding. Adjustable feet are a must. And then there is the paint finish. If anything that is icing on the cake. Perfect. Of course, nobody will know the difference when the speakers set atop, but YOU will know.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/21/22 at 04:45:06

Thanks 4K!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print