Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 22:15:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
PHONO STAGE- ZP3 or PS AUDIO STELLAR (Read 3099 times)
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

PHONO STAGE- ZP3 or PS AUDIO STELLAR
12/09/21 at 23:23:00

I have an opportunity to get a PS Audio Stellar Phono Stage for $1500.  I had been considering the ZP3 as well.  

Currently I have a Parks Audio Puffin and enjoy it.

Once it arrives it will be  paired to a ToriiMKV with Copper Anniversary Mods, and a SL-1200GR (likely sticking to MM carts).

I know it's not black/white...just curious on people's opinions.  

Thank you,

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: PHONO STAGE- ZP3 or PS AUDIO STELLAR
Reply #1 - 12/09/21 at 23:29:55

What kind of phono cartridge do you plan on using? Do you plan on a moving magnet w/ high output or plan on s low output moving coil cartridge?

Personally if you want to future proof your purchase, you might want to look at phono preamp with MM and MC capability. This will give you flexibility for using either type cartridge.

If you choose a ZP3 and want to use a low output MC cartridge, you'll have to get a step up transformer.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/09/21 at 23:32:24

I may eventually move to a MC cart, so future-proofing isn't a bad idea.  But for the foreseeable future it'll be a Nagaoka MP-200.

Torii MKV/25 mods
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/10/21 at 00:14:24

The Stellar gives you more flexibility and looks like a good deal at that price. I can't speak to sound quality, but PS Audio is known for excellent products, several fans post here. There are a myriad of options out there if you alternatively want to pursue a tube phono preamp. Good luck.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 12/10/21 at 01:16:56

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I will say that IMO a tube MM phone stage + setup transformer is a great way to go for a low output MC. I made that switch a couple years ago with no regrets. It's hard to beat a purely passive transformer for the first stage of voltage gain.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #5 - 12/12/21 at 19:24:08

I would agree that both are a good choice, I just know that our ZP3 and ZMC1 are the best combo that we have had. Bested my ARC SP-11 and NYAL preamps. Keep us posted on your travels down that rabbit hole. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/13/21 at 03:06:45

Well, unexpectedly, I won the auction. I was the only bidder for a 4 month old phono stage, and given that new ones now sell for $2500, $1500 seems like a great deal. I’ve always wanted to own a piece of PS Audio, so this should be a fun addition to my system.

I’ll be moving from a solid, but entry level phono stage, I’ll be curious what differences I pick up on.

Torii MKV/25 mods
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
metropolis7
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/13/21 at 14:23:54

FWIW, my ZP3 soundly bested a PS Audio GCPH, Tavish, and EAR 834p.
In all three comparisons, it was apparent within the first few minutes of listening.

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/14/21 at 22:33:32

I'll bring over the ZP3 with anniv mods sometime and we can compare them!!

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/14/21 at 22:50:15

Awesome.  Maybe when you come down to help me set up the ToriiV when it arrives.

Torii MKV/25 mods
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print