Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 06:31:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Film capacitor soldering help (Read 1232 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Film capacitor soldering help
12/09/21 at 14:04:10

Guys,

Just received my Miflex and Duelund capacitors from Partsconnextion and Hifi collective.  I’m getting ready to solder a 3.3 and a .47 Miflex KPCU-01  together as a bypass, and then after some break in, I’ll be looking to bypass that with a .022 Duelund Silver Foil.  This is going to be for my ERR crossover network.

I use a Haikko variable temperature soldering unit ( I forget the model off hand) and  I’ve done plenty of general wire soldering but I never attempted film capacitors.  I did some quick reading about soldering temps. and quite honestly it gets a bit technical.  My biggest concern is over heating the capacitor where is would cause internal damage to the dielectric and potentially cause  an issue.   I just dropped like $350 bucks on capacitors, and before I  just “wing it”…. I figured I would try and get some feedback on a temperature setting to solder them.  

A quick crash course would help to ease my mind and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Re: Film capacitor soldering help
Reply #1 - 12/09/21 at 15:14:33

Hello Dom,
Heatsinking is your friend.
I turn my iron up high ( 750-800 deg or so ), and I get in and get out quickly. I heatsink on both sides of the solder joint and solder away. The heatsink draws heat away from the component w/o limiting the heat applied to your solder joints.

Since I also fly fish, I have many pairs of forceps lying around. They are perfect as heatsinks.

Good luck.

Cheers,                  Crazy Bill

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 12/09/21 at 15:45:53

get in and get out quickly

That would be my advice too. And obviously use plenty of flux. I personally suck at soldering but that point was impressed on me by the people who tried to teach me. More in the context of soldering expensive transistors but it applies to your situation as well (and is probably good practice in any event).

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 12/10/21 at 02:46:08

Thanks for the insight. I just ordered some copper alligator clips for heat sinks off of Amazon.  I’ve always used my helping hands as an extra set of hands and never had the need to use them as heat sinks.   Almost  everything I’ve soldered has been for automotive and home wiring… like repairing frayed wires so I never had to worry about overheating the wires.  With these expensive caps…I’m just being a bit cautious.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print