04/18/24 at 02:10:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Powered sub hook-up. (Read 1507 times)
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Powered sub hook-up.
12/06/21 at 19:25:46

Hi. I was wondering (IF I even hook it up at all.) the best way to ad a powered sub to an SE84UFO2. The sub is an Hsu vtf-3. The very first, front firing version. It does have both high level ins/outs and low level inputs. The source for now will be an Oppo player using analog outs. Thanks much! ~Mike

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Re: Powered sub hook-up.
Reply #1 - 12/06/21 at 19:53:21

Do you use a preamp?

Speaker wire hook up can be:
2 pairs of wire from UFO, one pair to speakers and other pair to subwoofer speaker input
or speaker wire to speakers, then speaker wire from speakers to subwoofer
or speaker wire to subwoofer, then speaker wire to speakers.

With a preamp you can also split the rca outputs with a Y connector.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/06/21 at 20:32:45

I use the speaker output for my sub from my SE84UFO.  It worked out pretty easy.  I use banana plugs from the amp to the sub and then direct connect the bare wire to the holes in the terminals.  

I don't use the high pass filter in the sub so the mains are still running full frequency but that allows the sub to be crossed over lower and requires very little gain from the sub amp.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #3 - 12/06/21 at 23:42:01

Hi Lin, NIce summary, easy to follow.  

Is there a preferred option in terms of SQ or are they the same?

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
__Jon__
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 12/07/21 at 00:14:30

The only other issue with connecting subs, I believe, is that you can only use high / speaker level connections when the amp has a true not floating ground. And I don't believe that the SE84UFO has a true ground. Steve could obviously advise. In terms of sound quality, both options can sound good. Some prefer the speaker level connection to give the same "flavor" to the sub. I prefer it at least when going long distances vs an rca.

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/07/21 at 02:35:45

Thanks for the replies all. Very helpful! Does hooking up from this amp to (high level) deter sound quality /  reduce power? I am brand new to tube amps. Well, not even new yet...it's on order, so maybe in a year. Smiley Other than my own recent 3 posts, I have read a lot of posts on this forum the past few months and am impressed at the know how and genuineness of members here. This just ads even more value to the Decware brand in my opinion. I appreciate this! After I get it together and learn more, I hope to be of some help here as well. ~Mike

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/07/21 at 02:40:37

Tony wrote on 12/06/21 at 23:42:01:
Hi Lin, NIce summary, easy to follow.  

Is there a preferred option in terms of SQ or are they the same?

Thanks
I can't say there is necessarily a gain in sq, but my brain tells me to run wires separately to both the speakers and the subs.
Probably doesn't matter one way or the other.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/07/21 at 02:48:01

Subwoofers can be hooked up to amps with a floating ground, just a matter of whether you use 1 or 2 subs.
2 subs (L&R) can be wired as normal.

IP Logged
petrov
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 12/07/21 at 17:12:01

I have 2 SE84UFO25s with 2 active subs wired directly from the speaker terminals to the corresponding high level inputs of the subs. This method was recommended as ideal for sound quality and does not reduce power to the speakers. Sounds great!

Lumin T2
ZTPRE / ZBIT / SE84UFO25 (x2)
Zu Omen Defs & Submissions
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/07/21 at 17:37:57

petrov wrote on 12/07/21 at 17:12:01:
I have 2 SE84UFO25s with 2 active subs wired directly from the speaker terminals to the corresponding high level inputs of the subs. This method was recommended as ideal for sound quality and does not reduce power to the speakers. Sounds great!

Cool

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/07/21 at 20:11:36

Sending separate lines from amp to speakers and amp to sub(s) is parallel connection. This is the cleaner way.

Run in series, separate loads add arithmetically, e.g. 8 + 8 + 8 = 24 ohms.  Run in parallel the load is the 'reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals' of the individual loads; 1/8 + 1/8 + 1/8 = 3/8, reciprocal is 8/3 = 2.7 ohms.

The common active subs for sale rarely give the input impedance for speaker level, but through many searches I found one claiming 100 ohms and two stating 1k ohms. From one amp  channel's speaker out to one 8 ohm speaker and also to one sub input, connected separately (parallel), this would show 7.4 or 7.9 ohms, respectively, to the main amplifier. Hardly an imposition on the amp either way. But with series connection, who knows?

Aside that, there is issue of  the main speaker driver's back EMF that would be translated to the sub if connected in series (amp ->speaker->sub).

So, as related above: "[Parallel] method was recommended as ideal for sound quality and does not reduce power to the speakers."

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/08/21 at 03:28:24

Edsonic wrote on 12/07/21 at 20:11:36:
Sending separate lines from amp to speakers and amp to sub(s) is parallel connection. This is the cleaner way.

Run in series, separate loads add arithmetically, e.g. 8 + 8 + 8 = 24 ohms.  Run in parallel the load is the 'reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals' of the individual loads; 1/8 + 1/8 + 1/8 = 3/8, reciprocal is 8/3 = 2.7 ohms.

The common active subs for sale rarely give the input impedance for speaker level, but through many searches I found one claiming 100 ohms and two stating 1k ohms. From one amp  channel's speaker out to one 8 ohm speaker and also to one sub input, connected separately (parallel), this would show 7.4 or 7.9 ohms, respectively, to the main amplifier. Hardly an imposition on the amp either way. But with series connection, who knows?

Aside that, there is issue of  the main speaker driver's back EMF that would be translated to the sub if connected in series (amp ->speaker->sub).

So, as related above: "[Parallel] method was recommended as ideal for sound quality and does not reduce power to the speakers."

What do you mean by a series connection?
I have never heard of anyone connecting a powered subwoofer in series with the main speakers.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print