Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 06:46:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Speaker Recommendations (Read 9199 times)
George M
Verified Member

Speaker Recommendations
12/01/21 at 04:09:15

Hello All,
I'm new here today.  I just put in my order for an SE84UFO2.1 today.  I've been researching speakers to pair with it.  I have a budget of about $2,500.  I'd like to hear what others who have this amp are using for speakers that are a good match for this amp.  My musical taste range from acoustic, jazz, rock, etc.  I'm looking forward to hearing about your speaker choices.
Thanks in advance,
George M

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Speaker Recommendations
Reply #1 - 12/01/21 at 04:32:22

I'm a big fan of Omega speakers.

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/

I have the Super AlNiCo Monitors, resplendent in Macassar Ebony, and they look and sound fantastic with my UFOs.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #2 - 12/01/21 at 06:42:27

That's a gorgeous looking speaker.  If it sounds as good as it looks,  you have a keeper!

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
George M
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 12/01/21 at 15:26:15

Thanks for the reply, CAJames.  Much appreciated!
Yes, those speakers of yours sure are appealing, however a bit above my budget.  One speaker, on my list of considerations so far, is the Omega Super 3 High Output XRS, closer to my budget at $2,295 a pair.  Sure wish I could audition them live though.  Another pair I just started looking at are the KLH Kendalls.  With a sensitivity level of, I believe, 97db they might be a good match.  Seeing how I just ordered the amp, I should have a good amount of time to research speakers.
Thanks again,
George M

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 12/01/21 at 15:37:27

The Super AlNiCo monitors start at $1995 a pair FWIW.

IP Logged
drford
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/01/21 at 16:53:19

I'm using Randy's baffles with a Lii 15'. Site is here: http://www.caintuckaudio.com/.

Running with a Martin Logan Sub and a new Rachael. It's very revealing and liquid. I love it. I listen mainly to acoustic jazz, but that combo will also play Enter Sandman pretty well too for when the spirit hits you. I'm really happy with the setup. Total cost w. the sub (which is not required, IMO, for acoustic jazz) is within your proposed budget. YMMV - I haven't listened to a lot of other systems, so can't give you a good comparative, but I can say I love this system.

IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/01/21 at 21:51:31

Both of the above speaker recommendations are ones I would strongly consider if not utilizing my Klipsch Heresy. I think they sound great but have never heard the aforementioned two. I would also look at strongly the Klipsch Forte as well. efficiency my friend! Enjoy the journey! I received my UFO 2 little over a week ago, in heaven…..

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #7 - 12/01/21 at 22:01:13

Hi,  I'm running Randy's OB, too, along with his bass baffle in addition.  Sounds great.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Melvin
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/02/21 at 00:03:46

Omega's here as well. I've had the Super 3i's for about 4 years now and added the sub about a year later. The sub made a world of difference.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #9 - 12/02/21 at 00:20:09

I'll also mention the Decware DM945's.
They ain't no slouches. And all for a grand.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Drew T
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/02/21 at 00:24:35

George M - thank you for posting this question . I ordered the SE84UFO25 and I’ve also been trying to figure out which  speaker would be most compatible and give me the most bang for my buck . I’ve never actually never heard a Decware amp which makes it even more challenging trying to choose the correct speaker .  Hoping to spend no more then $2000.00 . Congrats on your purchase .

IP Logged
George M
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 12/02/21 at 01:45:07

First, I'd like to apologize to CA James.  Somehow I missed the Monitor section on the Omega website.  I was only looking at the Tower section, where the only pair of Alnicos there cost $4,695.  Thank you for pointing me towards the Monitor section where there are some fine choices within my budget.
So far in, the recommendations seem to be Omegas, Lii, and Decware.  All seem to be fine choices.  All, seemingly very unique. Thanks all!  Sure wish I could hear some in person, though.  
Drew T., sounds like you and I are in the same boat, waiting for our amps and having similar budgets for speakers.  Maybe we can trade our speaker research finds.
Again, thank you all responses!

IP Logged
DAKO
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 12/02/21 at 02:31:11

Hi George,
   I can attest to the Decware/Omega combo. I own a ZMA and have Omega Super 8 XRS speakers and the combo is indeed magical. I also have a friend who is using a Zen Taboo headphone amp to drive Omega 3 super HO monitors and it is wonderful sounding. I can’t speak for the other speakers, but I am sure they are just as good. It would be nice if you could find some folks near you who have similar to what you are looking for so your ears can help with your decision.

You might want to reach out to Louis at Omega. He is very knowledgeable about  Decware/Omega combos and can make recommendations. His products are flawless in d3sign and sound.

Dave

Decware ZMA
Omega Super 8 XRS
Omega 8” sub in a CAM enclosure
Esoteric K-07
PI Audio UberBuss
Acoustic Zen Speaker cables
Decware IC's
ELF gold IC’s (current)
Decware Power cables
TimberNation Rack
Mapleshade Speaker platforms
Mapleshape isolation and H
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #13 - 12/02/21 at 02:54:45

FWIW I bought both my UFOs and Omegas “sight unheard” and I’m extremely happy with the results.

IP Logged
Melvin
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/02/21 at 02:58:22

I purchased mine unheard as well, within a few hours and despite some rough patches I knew I wouldn't return them. FWIW, I believe there's a 30 day trial period. Best of luck.

edit .. and I'm in the "entry level" of both Decware and Omega. Just sayin'.

IP Logged
spyder1
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 12/02/21 at 03:02:58

George M,

I have to agree with previous recommendations about Omega Loudspeaker pairing with SE84UFO amplifiers. I have my SE84UFO powering Omega Super 3 XRS mini tower speakers, in a medium room setup. In choosing speakers to be powered by your SE84UFO2, Omega has different speaker models that will work with your AMP, specific with the room size you have.

Paul

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 12/02/21 at 03:12:51

I've had my S3HOXRS since they appeared on the Decware site.  Couldn't be happier.  But it seems that change is inevitable.  My system is in a smaller room now and the 35" height of the S3HOXRS along with the finish is somewhat imposing, visually competes too much.  That's the only reason that I'm looking at alternatives and having a terrible time making my mind up.

Whatever I do, the next pair will be Omegas.  No doubt about that.  I'm in discussions with Louis about smaller custom builds that might work.  in the end I might end up buying another pair of S3HOXRS in a different finish if that will do the trick.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 12/02/21 at 17:56:15

Have you looked at the used market?  For that kind of money there are some incredible sounding speakers if you have the time and patience to research and wait for the right deal.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
George M
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 12/03/21 at 02:08:22

I want to thank everyone again.  I appreciate all your insights.  Seems to be a lot of Omega fans.  Omegas certainly seem to be a good pairing with Decware.  
Yes, I have, and will continue to look out for used speakers also.  Since I just ordered my amp this week I'm guessing I have quite a bit of time yet to research and decide.  Liked the Tom Waits reference.
CAJames, you said you have two amps.  Are you using one per speaker?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #19 - 12/03/21 at 03:03:48

Quote:
Posted by: George M      Posted on: Today at 02:08:22

...CAJames, you said you have two amps.  Are you using one per speaker?

Yes, they are setup as balanced monoblocs.

IP Logged
George M
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 12/03/21 at 03:33:08

Sweet!

IP Logged
Audionumber3
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 12/03/21 at 04:37:30

I also own Omega speakers. I've owned a pair of super XRS 3s, and now own Super XRS 8s. Funny thing is, i received delivery of a brand new se84UFO just yesterday. Never owned a tube amp before. So far, it sounds awesome with the 8s....plays way louder than I thought it could. Looking forward to the next few weeks as it burns in but, I'm already super happy with the sound.

IP Logged
Drew T
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 12/03/21 at 04:41:18

Awesome - please keep us updated on how things progress as the amp breaks in  over the coming weeks . Enjoy

IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 12/03/21 at 04:48:27

Not that the Omega-Decware pairing needs any more support, but I have a SE84UFO and a Mini-Torii. I use Omega 3 XRS and Compact Alnico Monitors with Omega Sub - and have Super3i's waiting to be used in a bedroom system.

Love all three of the Omegas with both of the amps. And they sound good with, god forbid, solid state. I bought them without trying them too and can say they sound lovely - both the alnico and the 3's.

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
George M
Verified Member

Reply #24 - 12/03/21 at 11:40:14

Congratulations on receiving your amp Audionumber3.  Just wondering, how long did it take you to get your amp from when you placed your order?

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 12/03/21 at 12:12:25

Perhaps explore if any Decware owners are in your neighborhood and take a listen to their setup.  My Decware amps are on the way but ATM I can at least say that the  Caintuck Lii 15 Open Baffles are better than the Heresy IIIs in my current rig.  I live in Richmond, VA.  I bought my Lii 15's sight unseen based on folks here and communicating with Randy.  Very happy that I did!
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
Audionumber3
Verified Member

Reply #26 - 12/03/21 at 14:24:06

I placed my order on January 15th, and I believe I was number 350 or so. Longest I've ever waited for something for sure. Not to derail the topic, but I'm not sure I would be willing to wait any longer then that for any piece of audio equipment.... regardless of how good the sound is. But that's just me.

IP Logged
George M
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 12/03/21 at 16:13:41

I just checked the list.  I guess it's too full yet since I didn't see my name on it yet.  I'll keep looking at and researching speakers, however I don't think I'll be making any purchases until it gets close to delivery time for the amp.  For now I'll keep enjoying my current system which consists of a Willsenton R8 integrated tube amp, a pair of Paradigm 200B speakers and an RSL Speedwoofer sub.
For any interested, I live in the Boston area.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #28 - 12/04/21 at 15:56:07

Throwing down a big vote for Decware/Omega. Best system we have had. Buy with confidence. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #29 - 01/23/22 at 00:41:51

I adore my Ωmega’s and bought them specifically to use with my Decware equipment. Having said this I also added several Klipsch speakers to the stable and at times prefer them due to their higher sensitivity and ability to play louder and the fact that they present completely different than the Omegas. Next will be some open baffles for their own unique presentation, thus the recomendation is yes you should purchase them all slowly.

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 01/23/22 at 12:44:28

Decware/Randy's 'Lil Audio F15, no boxy coloration. Might want a bass cube for rock.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
George M
Verified Member

Reply #31 - 01/23/22 at 18:42:10

Thanks for the advice, Nick324.  Looks like you have a nice stable of equipment.
Thanks, also, Rivieraranch.  Looks like we have some similar equipment.  I also have a SL-1200 MK2 turntable and a pair of Sennheiser headphones.  I have the HD660S.  I use the headphones with a Schitt Vali 2 headphone amp and a Schitt Loki equalizer.  I listen to a lot of Youtube music videos so I find the equalizer helps a lot with these.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print