Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 05:37:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tubes plugged into incorrect adapters (Read 1390 times)
riknbkr330
Verified Member

Tubes plugged into incorrect adapters
11/28/21 at 18:07:20

I was helping a friend this weekend setup his system, he's on the East coast and I'm on the West, so we were doing this over video on our iphones.  
He was telling me that he wasn't getting any audio signal from his new system.  New TORII jr., DAC/CD streamer.

As I wasn't sure about his DAC/CD setup I concentrated on this device.  He's a complete neophyte, but I thought he had at least read his owner's manuals, not.

He then mentioned "should all the tubes be glowing?".  Well yes, I responded.  He then told me that two weren't.  I really couldn't see with the iphone how he had the tubes plugged in, but I then noticed that the brown based EL34s were lined up parallel to each other.  What he had done was plugged the OA3s directly into the EL34 slots and the EL34s into the OA3 slots.  Since I only have a Racheal (simple) I wasn't familiar with the layout of the TORII jr., nevertheless I was surprised that the pinouts would be the same, or at least the guide pins, etc.

After a quick look at the manual (thanks for those being online), I told him to move the rear EL34s to their correct locations, and he started the unit up.  The EL34s, the 6922s and Rectifier all glowed but no glow from the OA3s, so I figure those are blown.

My question is, should he also check the fuses, or just the fact that the other tubes are glowing suffice?  [smiley=dankk2.gif]

Main System:
Decware Rachael; Omega Monitor 7; Omega deep8 sub; Oppo BD-105>Zbit; Rega P5; Dynavector 20X2L;Parks Budgie SUT; Decware ZP3.
Second System: Creek Classic 5350SE; Rega RS1; Dual 1264; Musical Surroundings Phonomena II
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Tubes plugged into incorrect adapters
Reply #1 - 11/28/21 at 18:15:52

Fuses aren't blown if some tubes are glowing.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
riknbkr330
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 11/29/21 at 05:33:56

Thanks Archie!

Main System:
Decware Rachael; Omega Monitor 7; Omega deep8 sub; Oppo BD-105>Zbit; Rega P5; Dynavector 20X2L;Parks Budgie SUT; Decware ZP3.
Second System: Creek Classic 5350SE; Rega RS1; Dual 1264; Musical Surroundings Phonomena II
  IP Logged
Chester
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 11/30/21 at 04:11:33

One more thing to check...The Torii Jr. has another set of fuses that are internal.  The OA3s are pretty tough to blow and I would check those internal fuses before getting new OA3s.  They are slow blow fuses with a different mA that the main fuse.  Just unscrew all the screws on the faceplate and carefully pull up the plate.  As long as you don't touch any of the capacitors you should be fine.  I had a frustrating issue with the OA3s not lighting (and everything else lighting up fine) and it turned out to be those internal fuses.  Best of luck.

- Stephen

SE84UFO25/Border Patrol DAC/Zu Omens/Zu Undertone Sub
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print