Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZKIT hum issue (Read 10385 times)
seb
Verified Member

ZKIT hum issue
11/27/21 at 19:55:32

Hello Folks

Just completed the build, all test points are good as per instructions. Sounds good, however there is strong hum noise from the speakers. Can someone please help me how to trouble shoot this issue? Checked ground points on the circuit board to frame all read zero. To note the signal coming in is balanced, so I connected pin 1&3 ends to board; pin 2 is signal.? I used another amp previously in exact same system, same wiring, etc. no hum so I know it's the ZKit amp for sure. Speakers are Lii-Audio F12

much appreciated

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qVxc7ft_8eXCNkvSlKFrYHY7FHxXM7Y_/view?usp=drive...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BWsC9XHDGzEW6hqbUF1MThJf9hIU3HBV/view?usp=drive...

IP Logged
seb
Verified Member

Re: ZKIT hum issue
Reply #1 - 11/27/21 at 19:57:07

IP Logged
seb
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 11/27/21 at 19:58:08

IP Logged
seb
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 11/28/21 at 16:49:43

Can anyone with more experience or Steve please assist ? That hum is annoying after working hard to assemble everything

When the signal input is disconnected the hum noise is much stronger/nastier

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/28/21 at 19:29:47

Hello,

Sorry your having problems. The only thing I can see on your photos is your running the amp wide open and the trannys are oriented in a way that any flux that might be leaking from the cans might be introduced into the inputs/output.

I would suggested fully enclosing the output trannies in a metal base along with the circuit board leaving the power transformer(with laminations positioned 90 degrees as compared to the output transformers) outside with the tubes. Your hum is most likely aggravated because the amp is shorted in the full volume setting.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
seb
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 11/28/21 at 21:11:14

Hi John

Thanks for the response. I have built many SS amp, this is my first tube project. Changing transformers location to underside / orientation is a royal PITA as I have a nicely finished plate and like this look, will have to start from scratch again..only want to do this if this will get rid of all the hum...

Can you further explain:
"Your hum is most likely aggravated because the amp is shorted in the full volume setting"

I am using an external preamp, therefore I installed a jumper at the volume control.

Also, the output transformer has an extra blue/white wire not shown on the schematics but is on the silkscreen board, not not super clear which one is correct:

https://www.decware.com/newsite/ZKIT1.pdf

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #6 - 11/28/21 at 21:52:24

OK, I'll just ask some basic questions because I'm an idiot about this kind of stuff.

Can you move your power cord to another outlet?

Is it both channels?

Is it the tubes that you have plugged into it?

I believe that JBzen meant turning your transformers 90 degrees clockwise from where they are and placing them on top of some simple steel shielding. At least that is how I read his post.

Look at Steve's other designs, the transformers are 90 degrees from each other.

Like I said, I'm pretty unschooled in such matters, but usually if you take a problem and break it down into it's basics something stands out.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
seb
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 11/28/21 at 22:28:50

it's unlikely the tubes, as I have good sound. Tubes are brand new and tested. The noises are much worse when the input is not connected. It's not the wall plug either as this noise was inexistant with previous amp, same set-up

Does it matter which power or 2 output transformer to rotate 90 degrees? trying to minimize number of new holes in top plate

thanka

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #8 - 11/28/21 at 22:54:55

seb,

Amuse me by trying different outlets.
As the old saying goes, "it don't cost nuthin".
Different amps, different results.

Remember, don't assume that anything is 100% right now.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/28/21 at 23:40:13

Interconnect proximity to electrical outlets too.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/29/21 at 01:53:11

Turn the PT 90 deg. so Edcor faces the side.

IP Logged
seb
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 11/29/21 at 03:38:49

i just realized that I bypassed the volume pot, no 100K resistor only a jumper

See in red, would that be the issue?

[https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BWsC9XHDGzEW6hqbUF1MThJf9hIU3HBV/view?usp=drivesdk]

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/29/21 at 04:11:29

The blue/white wire is the UL tap not used in this amp.
Even with a preamp I really like a volume control on Decware amps.
Still a good idea to turn the power transformer.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 11/29/21 at 11:34:29

Quote:
Can you further explain:
"Your hum is most likely aggravated because the amp is shorted in the full volume setting"

Perhaps I used a poor choice of words. What was meant is that leaving the amp at its loudest setting the hum will be much more noticable or distracting.

You could try cover the output trannys with a grounded metal can and/or rotate the power transformer 90 degrees. Also put a potentiometer or resistors in. Leaving a tube amp wide open is never a good idea in my opinion.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 11/29/21 at 13:43:25

You didn’t post if it hums without the input cables attached and I see you are unbalancing the signal at the pcb without an input transformer. That unbalances the entire length of the line to the source and removes the balanced line noise (and gain) advantage. Try shorting the input and see if the hum goes away, at least that would isolate the source of the noise.

IP Logged
seb
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 12/02/21 at 02:46:42

added the 100K resistor to ground  in lieu of pot, same hum issue

IP Logged
bobc

Reply #16 - 12/02/21 at 13:21:26

You should measure and test the hum of the amp with inputs shorted to ground. If it hums in this configuration it is the amp. If you have volume control and hum changes with volume could be a ground loop/grounding. Input cables shield should be connected to board, and left floating at jacks.  Shield the input cables. If it isn't it is either a small hum due to ripple, or a loose solder joint. Typically ripple, which you can help resolve by doubling up second PS cap, is small consistent hum independent of volume close to speaker cones. If it is offensive eg hear loud from chair, then you have a might have a loose solder joint? The ripple hum can be annoying,  but you shouldn't hear it from your listening position. As things heat up sometimes a tenuous connection can cause hum.

Also, it appears you added a cap for CCE mod. Shouldn't this be connected between 3 and 6? Looks like you have 1 and 3 connected? I'd double check that too....

Best I got.

IP Logged
seb
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 12/02/21 at 17:00:50

Thanks

To answer your question, the amp hums connected to speakers no input signal connected. A bit louder connected to input, same if I short signal pin to ground. With no speaker connected I hear hum too from transformers, hard to pin point which of the 3.. There is no hum difference regardless of volume levels. So is it ripple for sure?

The small cap between pin 1 and 3 follows the schematics on Decware site; while the silkscreen board identifies pin 3 and 6. Not sure which one is correct

here is a picture of the back with small power supply bypass caps mods..no loose solder joints and all test points DC voltages are within specifications.

That hum bug is pesky. Spending more time on debugging than assembling it!

Any other more ideas? running out of patience!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TZnCMT1Xqf6OlPIRZXDcnmXZCiXsqemc/view?usp=drive...

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 12/02/21 at 17:16:22

1 and 6 are internally connected, so 1 and 3 or 3 and 6 can be used.

IP Logged
seb
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 12/02/21 at 17:31:33

correct

IP Logged
seb
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 12/02/21 at 22:29:41

Discovered The hum noise is much less when the preamp 6922 tube is removed

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 12/03/21 at 00:54:05

Is it possible the anniversary mod .01mf bypass cap that’s at an angle under the board is attached after the 10k resistors instead of in front of them?

IP Logged
seb
Verified Member

Reply #22 - 12/12/21 at 02:30:12

Well after of couple weeks of playing around, fixed some grounding issues and rotated the transformer.. a bit better but not perfect still a slight hum. I guess my conclusion it's a tube amp, not solid state class A and some noisr is expected

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fe2Syfc34T_UhXDmpv66qGamWp_tBk8c/view?usp=drive...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FFszxMNXWAVP1YsmA_mAROgR8EpyUuq_/view?usp=drive...

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 12/12/21 at 14:27:04

That sure is a fine looking build!

I hope it gives you many hours of pleasurable listening.

IP Logged
seb
Verified Member

Reply #24 - 12/12/21 at 15:05:15

Thank you

If I wanted to upsize the power capacitors to quiet the ps down, which ones should I do and values?

IP Logged
funch
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 12/13/21 at 01:55:15

A choke in the PS worked well for me in my headphone
clone SE84.

IP Logged
seb
Verified Member

Reply #26 - 12/13/21 at 03:35:55

I like the concept of it very mucj

What size would be needed and where does it go on this circuit? Would have to be a Edcor!

IP Logged
seb
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 12/13/21 at 22:47:34

Where should a smallchoke be located to get rid of that ripple noise?
before the 6.8K resistor in series?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19rorSrMCvX4_-pmXT3XlU-KnUzHiJzf1/view?usp=drive...

Would this 2H one work from Edcor:

https://edcorusa.com/collections/power-chokes/products/xc75-2h-200ma-2h-200ma-ch...

IP Logged
funch
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 12/16/21 at 01:22:23

I used this choke: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Hammond-Manufacturing/158L?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsWX...

I also replaced the 1K/5W resistor with a 500 ohm one since the choke has a 400 ohm resistance.

The choke should mount inline and after the wirewound resistor between the two 33uF PS capacitors. In other words left of where you have it in your drawing.

IP Logged
seb
Verified Member

Reply #29 - 12/16/21 at 02:22:36

Have you notice a change in the ripple noise levels??
Curious as to why the choke is not implemented in the DIY circuit design as an alternative

IP Logged
noob2009
Verified Member

Reply #30 - 12/19/21 at 13:43:55

DECWARE ZKIT #1 Hum/Buzz issue as well

Having similar, possibly related hum/buzz problems as you.  I do not want to hijack your thread and I have questions related to your experience (as it relates to mine).  Hoping for help, thanks

A. Transformer hum with or without inputs connected (heard at power transformer) - annoying, but not horrible

B. Mild hum heard through speakers when nothing is connected to the RCA inputs

C. Loud “harsh sounding” hum/buzz through the speakers in both channels
- 1 - Harsh buzz goes away when no RCA input is attached
- 2 - Loud when RCA is attached of either aka no difference with shorting RCA plugs
   - 2a - RCA cable (to preamp) - loud buzz/hum
   - 2b - RCA shorting plug (no cable/no preamp) - loud buzz/hum - maybe modestly quieter
- 3 - volume of hum/buzz grows louder as volume pot is turned up
- 4 - Hum/buzz not reduced by hum buster plug into wall (brand - Ebtech HumX)
- 5 - Hum/buzz not reduced by balanced/isolation transformer (brand - DECWARE)
- 6 - Hum/buzz not reduced by RCA based hum reducing transformer (brand - Rolls)
- 7 - Hum/buzz not reduced by power conditioner (Brand - PS Audio PPP)
- 8 - different tubes - no change
- 9 - Loud Hum/buzz reduced by putting mu metal around power transformer

Solutions:
For A - I will pot the power transformer

For B - I think this might be a grounding problem
     - The ZKIT instructions say to “Also don’t forget to install a jumper between the circuit ground and the board shield (ground plane).  There is no specific location marked for this jumper”. Am I missing something?  Or is the “chases ground” on the circuit board connection to the chassis at the same place as the power line ground (as a ‘star ground’) sufficient?

For C - I think this is a problem of interference of the power transformer with the RCA inputs (and thus cables) due to placement proximity.  The RCA jacks are on the top of the enclosure on either side of the power transformer with the decor labels (bells) facing the RCA jacks. So, I think the RCA plugs/cables are acting like an antenna.  In hindsight, this is a terrible choice of locations of the RCA jacks.  Plan to pot the power transformer in an iron transformer enclosure.

Questions:
- Feedback on my thoughts above
- In your build - you put a 100ohm resistor across the input (since no vol pot was used) - is that similar to having the vol pot turned to ‘zero” aka fully counterclockwise or turned to ’10’ aka vol pot turned all teh way up (clockwise)?
- You also tried a choke - did this help? Would this help my problem?  I don’t know how to test for ‘ripple’ related noice?

Thanks

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #31 - 12/19/21 at 18:34:23

At this time, I can only address the actual transformer hum itself as it has related to my own experience. Two things come to mind. It is possible that the laminations of the transformer itself are not completely bonded, allowing a physical hum. You could be quite right about potting the transformer to at least acoustically contain the hum, if not hold it tight enough to stop it.  Secondly, I was curious as to what actually happens when some transformers are connected to a power regenerator such as a PS Audio P300. The interest here is how changing the frequency of the incoming AC affected the transformer, as if in some cases it sounded 'upset' as though it were struggling, and then smoothed out at another frequency (not always 60hz by the way). In a case such as yours, it does make me wonder about the incoming AC power. I don't think that a power conditioner would make any difference, but like I have said, a power regenerator likely would.

The rest of the hum issues are independent according to your particular wiring, connections, placement, and so forth. Makes me want an entire system built upon batteries regardless of a batteries' shortcomings.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
noob2009
Verified Member

Reply #32 - 12/19/21 at 20:40:26

Regarding #1 Transformer Hum

- I tried my PS Audio Power Plant Premier - the hum was made worse than it was when plugged directly into the wall.

- on my digital multimeter - the Wall is 119 VAC
 - the the PPP it was 118 VAC in and 118 VAC out.

- the PPP says 3.5% THD from the wall

Additionally the hum/buzz was also present through the speakers and again louder with the PPP in the chain than without.

I do not have an explanation for worsening of hum/buzz with the PPP - it could be faulty but I did just have it in for servicing (all caps replaced) and it showed a clean sine wave on my oscilloscope (safety precautions taken).

Thanks

IP Logged
seb
Verified Member

Reply #33 - 12/19/21 at 20:50:21

trust me bro I understand your frustration, I am OCD and this hum drives me nuts!

Have you tried either power or signal isolation devices? I mean safe ground lift and signal tranformers? Like Jensen ISO-MAX between your source and ZKiT is a good product. Recommend to do one thing at a time to isolate your issue may be different than mine. It could be as simple as the cable box.. just saying

IP Logged
noob2009
Verified Member

Reply #34 - 12/19/21 at 22:28:00

Thanks - I tried that.  I used the Rolls box to isolate the RCAs from preamp to ZKIT amp.  Aka RCA from preamp in to Rolls isolation box RCAs out to ZIT.  Sadly, no change.

Any thoughts on my question about the ground plane connection form the KIT instructions?

Rob

IP Logged
seb
Verified Member

Reply #35 - 12/20/21 at 00:44:49

Rob

There is no magic recipe for eliminating hum, try different things and go by elimination. I am still working on it, problem with this kit is the DIY circuit board is prone to noise, long signal paths crossing HV does not make any sense.Look at all the serious tube amp builders, do they use circuit boards? no. It's all point to point old school wiring.

Next amp ..

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 12/20/21 at 04:10:50

FWIW there are "serious tube amp builders" that use circuit boards.
Turn key and kits.

IP Logged
seb
Verified Member

Reply #37 - 12/20/21 at 23:39:15

Try this fix about 50% of my hum issues ground loop isolator:
https://www.ooctolab.com/ground-loop-eliminator

IP Logged
noob2009
Verified Member

Reply #38 - 12/21/21 at 11:42:44

I will give that a shot.  And, I am far from a serious tube amp builder.  This is my first attempt and i thought i would start with something relatively easy (aka a circuit board design).  I have Decware made amps and they sound wonderful, so I was simply learning on this one.  I am currently trying to translate this circuit into a point-to-point one that I will soon start to build.  

IP Logged
seb
Verified Member

Reply #39 - 01/01/22 at 15:57:04

Final configuration with choke added, even much more quiet. I would still say that the hum eliminator made the largest difference followed by upping the capacitance then choke last.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FU2spnQTyG5nCKu11SS_x6tF91e7KrnP/view?usp=shari...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print