Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 00:27:20 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DECWARE House Speakers (Read 28339 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: High Dollar Speaker Design for our 60 watt Monos..
Reply #50 - 12/12/21 at 03:21:52

Cabinets are finished now, crossover overs are in the works, so it's time to set the stands in place.

The bottoms of the cabinets are now without spikes or threaded inserts, so I purchased flat disks to couple the cabinet to the stand.  Each disk is made up of two halves coupled together with 3 balls that self-center.  It will be a large improvement because it was impossible to get the threaded spikes adjusted perfectly flat.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #51 - 12/12/21 at 03:44:35

The midrange...

This little jewell has every detail paid to the back wave... and obviously requires it's own enclosure that is isolated from the woofer.  

You can see with this open voice coil design that the sealed enclosure for the midrange should be clean to prevent dirt from getting into the voice coil gap.  As I mentioned, this enclosure was a fail on both counts.  It was full of saw dust and the holes for the wires were never caulked.  This means the air pressure from the woofer pushes on the midrange cone.  I noticed that right away when the speaker was playing that the midrange looked like a woofer because it was moving so much.

It's the details that make or break a speaker design and it's a little frustrating to see such a slick design fail on so many counts.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #52 - 12/12/21 at 03:53:27

And here is one of the tweeter crossovers in progress...

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 12/12/21 at 03:54:51

I like the Christmas colors of the crossover!

Brian

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #54 - 12/12/21 at 04:12:22

All I can say is- Steve, you are an amazing man, and I'm glad I stumbled onto your website many years go. I look forward to the future and what you haver to bring to the audio world.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #55 - 12/12/21 at 04:21:36

Let's talk about wire for a minute.

Anyone I've talked to knows that I am a big advocate for getting the right speaker wire, but often bail when it comes to discussions on internal speaker wire.  The reason for that is because almost everything we make has only one driver with no crossover, and some things have a tweeter with a single capacitor.  The wire for such a speaker is a single piece and usually about 12 inches long so as long as you use good quality wire of the appropriate gauge the speaker will sound good.  Will holy grail wire make it better... well it's 12 inches.. and it can but not enough to be a deal changer.  

Working on this simple 3-way speaker project has reminded me that the rest of the world doesn't do the ZEN thing and speakers are complicated.  This speaker for example rather than having a single pair of wires 12 inches long, now has wire going from the binding posts down to the crossover and then another wire from the crossover to the driver.  That's about 36 inches.  And we have this repeated for all three drivers so there is a total of 9 feet of wire in the box and that pales in comparison to the crossover itself, so we must do everything we can to lessen the negative effects of the crossover and all the extra wire by using the best wire we can.  I get it now.

So in this design, silver plated copper with Teflon insulation is the only option.  The Teflon is slippery and by using 6 stranded wires we eliminate vibration and the geometry gives some effect on the field.

This is all I have been doing all day, is making these cables.  24 in total.  It's so ridiculous coming from my world of simple full-range crossoverless speakers that frankly this experience has only reinforced the logic and practicality of that world.  This is absurdly expensive and how much better can it really be?  From what I heard before I tore them apart, they can be better in many ways, but the percentage of improvement is minimal whereas the cost is maximal.

Now I see why Harbeth and similar popular speaker brands use circuit boards for the crossovers and smaller cheaper parts with simple wire that will fit on one. Building speakers like I'm doing now is a somewhat comparably hateful experience and doing it over and over wouldn't be much fun.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #56 - 12/12/21 at 04:52:52

Here are the crossovers for the tweeters nearing completion.  I already installed the other ones in the cabinets and forgot to take pictures after the large beeswax caps were installed.  I spent a hour testing the new crossover and making adjustments to the resistor values to get it to match the originals.  I listened to the midrange on both the original and new crossover on an A/B switch and it was easy to hear the difference.

BTW, a great way to test the quality of a midrange and midrange crossover is to see how long you can listen to it by itself with no woofer or tweeter...  This process will rapidly advance the crossover design well beyond where it would be masked by the woofer and tweeter. The raw midrange can't hide and it has to be really good not to become fatiguing by itself.

The coils I used have less resistance so everything had to be tweaked back into spec.  I was able to match all the parts in this project to within 1% which I think is probably more important that the actual brand of parts used.  

All of these crossover components are bedded into a thick layer of silicon.  I also covered the coils with epoxy to lock the windings so they can't vibrate.

The cables have the same total gauge as the coils. The resistor for the midrange and the tweeter I created with four 5W resistors in parallel for 20W.  This will gracefully current limit the peaks and protect the drivers should someone decide to see how much power the speaker can handle by hanging a 1000 watt amplifier on them.  

I thought about pouring liquid rubber into a mould around each board to lock in the parts and reduce vibration, but after processing that for a bit I realized that will just lock the parts to the board and each other which will actually have more vibration than floating in the air fully isolated.  Also, having a brick in there won't help internal speaker volume.  The way I am building it now it will become a large diffuser for the back wave of the woofer.  So it will be exposed to direct sound from the woofer, but isolated from cabinet vibrations.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #57 - 12/12/21 at 04:57:36

To get through a two whole days of this... I first teased myself by setting up the stands.

Today I teased myself by setting up the cabinets so I would want to finish the crossovers and start installing them inside.

I will be bringing the 3/4 thick aluminum baffles in tomorrow and installing them onto the cabinets and the drivers with any luck.

I'll have more pictures then.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #58 - 12/12/21 at 05:32:50

Next are the binding post plate and posts...

Nice thick high quality aluminum with brass posts and jumpers that were installed into holes that were too small so that the insulators couldn't fit inside the holes.  This didn't help the look, but more importantly the paint itself became the insulator on some of the posts.  This would be a very big bummer for some guy using a high power high current solid state amp turned up extra loud when the posts short to the plate.

Also notice that screws were used to mount the plate that were too large to fit into the machined holes. It seems like despite real efforts to impress they must have had a helper who wasn't on the same page.

A hi-end speaker design of this quality deserves a better binding post set up.  So after removing the posts, re-chamfering the screw holes, enlarging the holes for the posts for proper fit, sanding the paint off with a brushed finish, painting it black and updating to red copper posts like those used in many of our amplifiers, we have something that looks the part.

We're getting there : )

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #59 - 12/12/21 at 05:58:20

When you look at the wonderful design of the midrange... I would say 'perfect' design of the midrange,  and then you begin to process the thickness of the cabinet baffle you realize the midrange will be loaded into essentially a tube.  With a solid aluminum baffle it would have been easy to make this hole larger and or shaped to keep from getting involved with the back wave.  This would have been easy to do had I thought about it before it was too late.

I will have to line some of this opening with felt to partially fix this oversight. It looks like the last 3/4 inch of the baffle can be slick to help air flow due to the angle relative to the motor shape.  If we were to decide to make a speaker like this for sale, there would be nothing to reflect.  Even the aluminum would be machined to an angle to eliminate all reflection.

Hehe, so many things I would change if we build something like this here, which is the only way I would consider doing something in this price point. We have two wood workers who make me look like the amateur I am, and this isn't a speaker that will have dozens of orders every month due to it's price so who knows what will happen.  I think the sound over time calculated against the cost will be what decides.  

People will be shocked at it's actually size.  It's bigger than the Lii Audio Crystal 10 Reference speaker!  It dominates whatever room it's in.  Stand mounted bookshelf speaker would be very deceptive way to market it.  You will see as more pictures come in during it's completion.  

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 12/12/21 at 11:36:27

The speakers on the stands look great in that last shot! A bit intimidating...wicket.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 12/12/21 at 17:21:51

Hi Steve,

What an excellent tread, I certainly hope you somehow got a partial refund from the manufacturer of these speakers.

I am too late for the paint but maybe not for the varnished wood.

For the paint I would suggest boat paint like "brightside"

For the varnish something like self leveling Epifane

These are products made for boats extremely resistant and excellent finish.

Great and insane amount of work!

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Quad mono 303 (x2) + 33 + FM3.
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Thorens TD160 MKII + SME III tonearm. Ortophon OM10.
Oppo CD/DVD.
Celestion Ditton 66 studio.
Lii F15 in Betsy type OB.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #62 - 12/13/21 at 02:24:43

Today I finished up the tweeter crossovers.  I had them wired wrong.  After fixing that and listening and adjusting values and matching I was ready to install them.  So far I have one installed but before I could install it where I wanted it, I had to "insulate" the interior of the cabinet. I chose pick'n pluck foam, 2 inches thick.  This allows me to poke out some of the holes which gives the waves some solid surface to load against, and increases the absorption by increasing the surface area.  Each hole adds 4 square inches of surface area.  

So it all started like this... with a single piece of foam in very back:

Then like this:

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #63 - 12/13/21 at 02:44:52

Completed. Each little 1/2x1/2x2 foam piece on the floor = 4 square inches of absorptive surface area. Actually 3.5 square inches over using a flat sheet of foam. Anyway this allowed me to leave 25% or so of the interior hard to keep the reflex quick while eliminating flat surfaces.  I hate flat surfaces.  If you purchase adhesive backed foam for speaker interiors, despite a subtle texture, it is a flat surface. The more complex the interior of the cabinet the better it will sound. That's why I sat in front of this damn thing for over 2 hours working on the interior.

It looks like it sneezed!

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #64 - 12/13/21 at 03:37:38

Above is a picture of the speakers I originally got with the shallow trim and mitered corners instead of butt-jointed like exhibit A. At some point before I got them the miters split like they are doing in the picture above. Someone got the idea to putty the cracks and then air brush a maroon paint over it. When I got the speakers the trim looked way worse than it does in the picture above.  I felt defeated.

Most of you know I have a thing for cool looking wood.  (Tiny Radials)  In fact it was the wood in exhibit A that attracted me to the design of the speaker in the first place so that's what prompted the major surgery. This wood rail should be floating so it can expand and contract independently of the cabinet and the aluminum baffle.

This one was buried into the cabinet. I had to beat it off with a hammer and then repair all the damage when it ripped the front of cabinet apart.

I was unable to get a good picture of the air brushed corners, but they reminded me of a solid hide stain on my deck. Am I being too harsh? Sorry, I don't think so. If you can't make it like the picture then don't sell it, or change the picture.

This is as close as I can get it to look like exhibit A.

Next step will be to put on the aluminum baffle while I work on installing the tweeter crossover and foam into the other cabinet.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #65 - 12/13/21 at 03:51:26

Bad lighting... but I'll get better pics as we go along.

The aluminum is sealed with a bead of silicon around each driver hole.  Total baffle thickness is 2.5"

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 12/13/21 at 05:56:27

Since you didn't miter the corners, you might have considered a dovetail or box cut.  Maybe for the next pair.   Smiley

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #67 - 12/14/21 at 03:52:37

Tonight I got to finish installing the foam in the second speaker, and lined all the openings with felt...  

I also had the satisfaction of having the aluminum baffles fit perfectly inside the frame not once, but twice.  Nice...

However -- This is about the time when you know you're going to close it up and actually see if everything works right and if it does will it sound the same, better or will you have ruined it ?!?  the anxiety builds...  all the what if's begin to cycle through your mind. So many thing that could have gone wrong despite methodical testing along the way - there is always that wild card called the human element.

Anyway it's time to install the binding posts.  Everything is soldered.  I have never believed in connectors inside a loudspeaker.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #68 - 12/14/21 at 04:32:53

Here is the binding post plate installed : )

So I learned with tube tots and these that the jumpers used to connect all the posts together effect the sound more than you would like.  Even good ones.  So in a situation like this where you have one speaker cable and a three way speaker with your choice of three places to hook your cable up where do you go?  Is there a difference?  

The answer is yes there is a difference, and you go to the driver that you want to sound the best.  That means the driver that has the highest resolution, which means the tweeter is where you would hook your speaker cables.  Of course if you have three pair of cables you wouldn't need jumpers.  Even with a single amplifier this would probably be an advantage.  

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #69 - 12/14/21 at 04:40:15

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #70 - 12/14/21 at 04:41:51

WWW   IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 12/14/21 at 04:46:10

...These are turning out to be absolutely beautiful.

Congrats.

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #72 - 12/14/21 at 04:52:52

Despite being reversed because we forgot to check when we lifted them onto the stands, the sound is as I remember it which is a huge relief.  As things burn-in it will quickly surpass the original.  In fact after only an hour it already has.  Tomorrow we'll switch the speakers left for right and by the weekend I'll be able to do some serious listening.  

WWW   IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #73 - 12/14/21 at 06:24:01

Steve….What an interesting thread!!  I am currently in the process of building a separate crossover box for my ERR speakers.

I cannot take credit for this idea, since I borrowed it from Will who plans to build them for his HR1’s.  So he deserves all the credit.  

For the platform that houses is the crossover network… I purchased  some car audio self adhesive deadening material. After I installed it you can hear the sound of the wood has changed just by tapping on the platform.   Even though the crossover box is external from the speaker, I wanted to cut down on vibrations. What’s nice about this stuff is that it will take the contour of whatever you apply to and it’s easy to apply. All you have to do is use a roller finish it up.  Now I know it doesn’t have the sound deadening properties as the foam, but I have to say it does work for this application.

Question… What size wire gauge were you using in the crossover network, and why did you decide to go with a silver plated copper over a pure metal?  

My first version of these crossover boxes are really more to just get them working so I can start breaking in my capacitors. The second build will be with a finished wood will come after I move back into my house and allow me to take my time.  

Also… What made you decide to go with four 5W resistors wired in parallel, as opposed to using two 10 W resistors or one 20 w resistor?  I am going to start playing with resistors on my ERR speakers, so I’m curious on the reason for your choice.

By the way… These speakers are drop dead gorgeous!!

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 12/15/21 at 03:50:55

Remember getting bedtime stories before going to sleep as a child?
Steve’s late night progress posts on these speakers reminds me of those.
I look forward to them each night before going to sleep...

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #75 - 12/16/21 at 01:30:31

Quote:
Question… What size wire gauge were you using in the crossover network, and why did you decide to go with a silver plated copper over a pure metal?  

Also… What made you decide to go with four 5W resistors wired in parallel, as opposed to using two 10 W resistors or one 20 w resistor?  I am going to start playing with resistors on my ERR speakers, so I’m curious on the reason for your choice.

The crossover network has no wire, just part leads.  The inductors are 16 gauge, so the wire leading to and from the crossover is also 16 gauge.

Silver plated copper in Teflon is what I had in the shop and is generally unbeatable.  That is what ZSTYX are made from.

Those ceramic resistors don't sound that great, so I find that using 4 in parallel improves the sound dramatically over a single larger value, in part due to the increase in lead diameter.  These are temporary until I have better quality replacements to work with.

WWW   IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 12/16/21 at 20:50:01

They really look greeaaat.
I cannot wait to read more about how they sound and how the sound evolves over time.

Alain

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 12/17/21 at 02:16:21

Such a grand looking speaker!
As with Alain, I eagerly look forward to the listening report. With the teasers given so far, I expect the sound is going to be the new fabulous at Decware.

Happy for you,
Brian

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #78 - 12/18/21 at 03:45:48

A picture of tonights magic as it happens...

I'm glad to be able to report that all is well!  I say that because up until tonight I was pretty sure I was going to pull the woofers and revisit the crossovers.  A nice source of stress for the past several days.  The sound I had was gone.  I craved my Tube Tots in a bad way, which BTW since I added the coil they have gotten 50% better.  They are like a drug.  Anyway that's another story for a different thread.

The new crossovers as I listened to them on the bench with the midrange in my hand and then with the tweeter in my hand were far sharper as I think I mentioned.  This worried me I'm not going to lie.

So over the past few days I have liked them and actually not liked them several times.  Of course in this room things are unhooked and changed constantly.  I think that's called foreshadowing...  

I had two things working against me... the tubes were lean but I didn't usually care because of the detail, and one of the speaker cables was miss-labeled on one end which means the positive and negative were reversed.  This is a page to Father Murphy that is so overwhelmingly loud that he will come from other planets just to make sure he gets you to hook a channel in phase and then out of phase and then in phase and then out --- all at the precise moment for ideal deception.  So at least 3 times I have listened to the speakers from the work area while they were out of phase.  I never went into the listening room because it sounded like crap from out here...if you get my drift...  I am used to a particular magic that comes from there and mostly I was getting confusing mixed and downright disgusting results.

Tonight I put the good KT88's back into the TORII MONO's and fixed the speaker cable, and guess what?  Murphy left and...

The sound is back : )

In a big way.

Now, you might think "surely he walked in there when it was out of phase and immediately knew... right? "

Actually I did walk in there a few times to see just how bad it actually did sound, and one of the spooky things about these speakers is that they can maintain a locked image in the center when out of phase... not normal.  No idea why, so don't even ask.  

The imaging of these speakers is in another world. I will eventually explain this with great understanding, but right now there's just too much going on.

The sound stage is no better or bigger than anything we have, but the specificity is just sick. I can say this already at this early stage, the tweeter is the best I have heard for precision and really everything else.  It's worth $400 a side and $300 a side for crossover parts...  It actually is.

Scanspeak Rocks.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #79 - 12/18/21 at 04:25:57

I just heard a tiny chime sustain for 7 seconds in a track that I have listened to many times and the chime wasn't even there.  A 7 second decay for something this high in frequency is extremely rare, and to reproduce it is apparently rare as well!  

So there you go.. this is the kind of shit you get from a small dome tweeter that cost $700 a side to hear and a Decware amp. Believe it or not I have still not installed any form of preamp and am just using a 1000.00 Cambridge CXNv2 DAC/Streamer via balanced XLR outputs connected directly the monos.  It's so damn good it defies reason.  

Kind of makes you wonder what's going to happen with the HOLO Audio MAY DAC or a preamp or both!

Tonight when I sat down here, my plan was to measure the speakers so I could see WTF was going on and deal with the stress of figuring out why I don't like it...

Now I have no intension of measuring it.  The sound is there.  However it measures is probably what everyone should shoot for.

So this speaker is actually in the same league as the single driver and other Decware speakers despite being much less efficient.  I can drive them with 20 watts but the extra speed of the Zen TORII MONO's serves this speaker well.  In contrast it can be a bit too fast for some of the ultra high efficiency stuff.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #80 - 12/18/21 at 05:07:44

This is really getting me off, because I am now hearing how good these TORII MONO's actually are for the first time really.  It's a real thrill!  Think of it like you built your ultimate hot rod and for the first 5 years you didn't realize the back barrels on carb weren't opening all the way when you floored it... Then you dialed it in with the right linkage and splurged for the right tires while you were at it and still managed to get sideways in 3rd gear for the first time while doing a 11 sec quarter mile... something you only fantasized about until it actually happened! And when it happens on the street it's a white knuckle experience compared to a sticky track. That is how this combination is making me feel and that's after listening to some of the finest audio there is for over 20 years. It's a different kind of high resolution compared to the UFO25 on single driver speakers... in the same league though.  So there you go, two flavors of exotic ice cream.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #81 - 12/18/21 at 06:08:34

https://youtu.be/rXBk0x0p6no

Here is a sneak peak at the sound of these speakers... interestingly the effect of youtube limiting and optimization is more damaging on this video than any other speaker demos we have done which is to say the extreme resolution in the top end as well as the depth of the bottom end is obviously compromised by Youtube. If you really want to hear/feel this combo for real you'll have to make a listening appointment and drive or fly to Decware at which point you will be taken well care of and if you're someone who is searching for that end game amplifier, you won't be disappointed

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #82 - 12/18/21 at 06:38:27

Thanks for the road trip Steve.

IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 12/18/21 at 06:43:19

like Jen said.

a.

:-)

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #84 - 01/01/22 at 04:31:57

Things are starting to settle in with the drivers and the first of my large polypropylene foil caps have arrived.  These are the original parts I ordered that got held up,  so I will be replacing all the caps in the crossovers as my next project.

Meanwhile the spike replacement were an epic fail, but it was my own fault.  They come with a self-adhevise which liquifies with pressure and vibration.  I knew to take it off, but got lazy.  I walked in the other night and noticed one speaker had slid more than 2 inches and starting to fall off the stand.

Tonight I cleaned up the mess that made and removed all traces of adhesives.  Then on the top I put some felt with it's own adhesive because I'm either brain dead or I plan to create a shallow hole the same diameter in the bottom of the cabinets to locate the spike replacements and make it
impossible to slide off.  The bottoms are now screwed into the stand so they are hard coupled and can't move.

They are magnetized and the three steel balls allow it to move within the confines of the slightly larger concave hemispherical holes that capture it.  The rubber O-Ring on the center guide of the top section (shown placed upside-down for the picture) damps the movement.

I have faith in this design.  It's so much better than the threaded adjustable spikes that came with the speaker.  Those were almost impossible to adjust perfectly so that the speaker didn't rock. Vibration and the spongy adhesive used in bottom part had me adjusting the spikes  every two days.

This is a set it and forget it approach with far superior results.  Remember the stand isn't going to warp because under that wood is 1/4 inch stainless steel plate that can't move.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #85 - 01/01/22 at 04:36:13

Here are some pics of the cabinet on the floor, which I forgot to get help to lift it back on the stand before everyone split yesterday for the holidays so there it sits.  I decided to just listen to it on the floor until someone shows up on Monday to help me.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #86 - 01/01/22 at 04:39:55

A BEFORE and AFTER shot.

And for some reason tonight I got a good picture of the finished speakers.  It looks so much better with the aluminum brushed perfectly flat and painted flat than it did when it was shiny and wavy.

In fact it really looks damn close to exhibit A. : )

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #87 - 01/01/22 at 05:10:06

Interestingly this week I needed to burn-in a Taboo MK4 so I hooked it to these speakers and I've been playing it all week. In many ways I think it is the best I've heard the speakers sound. I have the amp cranked to 100% full and running a preamp to take it just below clipping and the level is surprisingly adequate.  Hehe, it's such a sleeper amplifier : )  Just when I had myself convinced the only thing that will drive them is the 60 watt monos, I drove them with TORII's at 20 watts, and now the TABOO at probably around 4 watts. This hobby is so much fun when math stops working!  

Happy New Year !

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 01/01/22 at 08:24:07

So, you were able to get it up on the stand after all!
Nicely done!

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #89 - 01/01/22 at 09:39:25

Nice design for those spike replacements. I use a similar design in my systems: the VooDoo Cable Iso-Pod:

These have a magnetized center, polymer bases with felt, and ceramic bearings. I find them the best I've used.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #90 - 01/01/22 at 14:42:01

You need to change the power output specifications for the Taboo MK4, it says 1w into 4 ohms and 2w into 8 ohms.

HEADPHONE IMPEDANCE      POWER OUTPUT @ HEADPHONE JACK.
Figures double into loudspeakers.
4 ohms
     500 mw
8 ohms
     1000 mw
16 ohms
     1200 mw

https://www.decware.com/newsite/TABOO.htm

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #91 - 01/01/22 at 16:29:02

The Taboo Mk IV really is an amazing speaker amp. That's why I recommended a full-blown voltage regulated dual mono version of the amp. . . even though I'm not able to afford one and it won't fit where I do have my Taboo (in the space behind a cadenza my wife loves and that is the only authorized audio stand or rack for the living-room). It would be a fantastic amp for many. To me the low wattage amps sound the best, and when they are "all that they can be" they are jaw-dropping.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #92 - 01/23/22 at 02:53:51

UPDATE

I think the crossover caps are pretty well burned-in and my biggest worry since deciding to rebuild the crossover with all new parts was what the resulting sound changes will be.  I'm not naive enough to think replacing all the parts with top grade stuff is going to automatically make everything better. There are almost always tradeoffs.

What I liked about the original crossover was 1) imaging. 2) smoothness  3) 1970's bass.  It all added up to a detailed but forgiving sound that was warmed up by the slower bass.   Interestingly, #3 was also the one thing I didn't like about the speakers since most of the single-driver stuff by comparison was more realistic sounding.

So here we are.  I can still remember exactly what it sounded like back in October when I first heard them.  I can play it back in my mind, then and now, and reflect on the changes.

1) Imaging.  Did not change, still very good.

2) Smoothness.  We lost some ground here because resolution is the edge on a sharp blade.  We now have a very sharp blade. So the speaker is less forgiving that it was when it had the spongey crossover parts and sloppy solder and crappy wire.

3) 1970's bass.  Something I enjoyed because I haven't heard it in nearly 50 years, but pretty much totally gone now.  The bass is easily twice as tight and twice as fast as it was.  And as a result it no longer draws attention to itself.  I find the change very refreshing and it has raised my opinion of this particular Scanspeak woofer.

If I was retired and bored, two things that will never happen in my life, I would update the woofer coils in the original crossover and leave everything else alone -- except the solder and wire -- and then I would compare that to what I have now.  I expect that I would probably like it as much or more because it had a touch less resolution and was more forgiving which is a way of trying to say it was slightly more musical.

The current crossover is no disappointment, but my instincts I shared when I tore into the crossover were largely spot on.  BTW, the final cost of two crossovers not including labor or installation was $1K.  Suggesting that when you see a 3 way loudspeaker for sale at a killer price, it probably doesn't have a 1K crossover in it.

So what does this higher level of performance do to an already impressive sound?  Well, the final result so far seems more than worthy.  I'm glad to have them, they make listening to the Zen TORII Mono's a thrill.  In fact the other night while flexing the system for the first time and really seeing how far I could take it, the bass shocked me on one particular track of electronic music, it was splitting the air like a knife and I could feel the concrete slab moving - literally.  I'm not kidding.  That got me off pretty damn hard, I'm not going to lie because nothing has ever quite done that in this way in this room before.  The only thing that has done it in a different way is the Imperial SO subs that I have in here.  Some DECFEST attendees will remember what that sounded like.  It was more than memorable.  But this was actually better, more visceral.  I was standing during this test, which is often the case because I am short enough to get away with that.  But feeling the slab moving under my feet and the crack going through the space was just priceless.

In fairness I should add that this was done at around midnight against the blackest of backgrounds, so the dynamic range was +10dB vs. during the day at work.  It was just grazing 100dB where I was standing.  This is the luxury of having a free-standing building with a listening room in it. You can rock out without pissing anyone off including your beautiful wife : )  And frankly it is the ultimate time to listen to music.  I recommend it highly.

To put that SPL in perspective you need to understand that it's not about SPL.  It's about dynamic range.  Quietest blackest (idle ear drums) to loudest and how fast the rise time is.  So at this time of night the noise floor in the room is about 31dB on an A-weighted scale.  That's 69dB of dynamic range, where most audio systems during the day playing streaming limited music resulting from volume wars, are lucky to have 20dB of dynamic range.

My only regret was ignoring the strong urge to make the crossover external, but honestly that's only because I have more exotic caps I would like to listen to and as you saw, I buried that baby so deep that the only way to make a change is to remove all three drivers, and the binding post plate and both crossover boards in each speaker... an entire weekend.  So it's obvious that the Flat Stacked Cryo Treated Beeswax bypass caps were going to be good enough I made it impossible to upgrade.

It would have cost a fortune to do it in an external crossover with enclosure and the speaker cables for each driver would have made the experience cost $3K or more.  I like the clean look and having it inside the speaker where I can't jack with it... ; ) so I probably made the correct decision, given the fact I have to run a business as well.

Steve

P.S.  Back to the discussion of dynamics... It's a lot like drag racing.  20 dB of dynamic range is like a 16 second quarter mile.  My moms station wagon would do that back in the 1970's.  69dB on the other hand is like being in a top fuel funny car.  It had me grinning from ear to ear that's for sure.  For those of you new to tubes, this is fun because there is ZERO ear fatigue or trauma. What wrecks the ear is bad harmonics from odd order distortions at high SPL. You could literally listen to this for several hours at this SPL and feel like you've never even listened to music that evening when you were done. This is important to understand. You can listen loud without consequences to your hearing when done in these conditions with these amplifiers and cables.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #93 - 02/06/22 at 05:12:55

Quote:
If I was retired and bored, two things that will never happen in my life, I would update the woofer coils in the original crossover and leave everything else alone -- except the solder and wire -- and then I would compare that to what I have now. I expect that I would probably like it as much or more because it had a touch less resolution and was more forgiving which is a way of trying to say it was slightly more musical.

As these continue to break-in I have to start backing away from this statement.  Keep in mind I am giving them a worse case scenario by running a bone stock CXNv2 directly into the ZEN TORII MONO's.  Ultra clean, ultra precise, not forgiving.

At this stage that sense of ease is returning but with just insane resolution, and frankly I haven't gotten to listen to them long in the sweet spot because I keep jumping out of it shaking my head in disbelief and then I have to go walk it off. It's the image focus and surgical precision to a level I have never actually heard before that is responsible for this behavior.

And being less than a fan of the bass driver from before the beginning due to it's scary looking response and lower efficiency... I have to say that the cool 1970's bass I enjoyed from a nostalgic perspective was also a let down because it in no way meshed with the midrange and tweeter on this speaker. I considered it a somewhat glaring weakness, yet it had some potential as it certainly had no issues creating deep powerful low end. Now with the new crossover, I am amazed at the transformation.  It's tight now. In fact it has more or less disappeared, which is what we want. I can't hear it anymore, which is what I am used to with all of our other speakers.

So I am feeling pretty good, like all the trouble was in the end worth it because I picked up another perspective on the music. I also like that they are too heavy to move so I pick up another level of reference quality that I can trust. The corner horns are the only other thing in the room that can do that and for the same reason, they can't be moved. I need more than one concrete reference in this room that never changes so I can evaluate frequency balance and imaging with great accuracy. When you have a million speakers in a room and they are always being moved, even by 1 inch, it is no longer worthy reference material and in fact becomes deceptive/counter productive.

Also I am enjoying the discovery that for my in the chair listening level I can easily enjoy these speakers with either of the 20 watt TORII amplifiers.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #94 - 05/09/22 at 05:33:42

As a final followup to this thread you must be very careful when buying from AliExpress. You can see what was delivered to me and what I had to do to make the speakers right. We got zero compensation for these speakers and sadly 8 pair of other speakers we had also ordered for evaluation were lost in shipping and there has been 6 months of run around with zero compensation or refund. Once my patients clock finally ran out on the missing packages they changed their tune and decided to claim that 7 had been delivered with different UPS numbers and only 1 was missing. Big shock there.

The store name is circled in green.

And the owner's picture

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #95 - 05/09/22 at 10:54:06

More posts are needed like this to put disreputable dealers in the spot light. Sorry you had to go threw the waste of time and resource. This is one good reason of using eBay and Amazon for purchases. Their policies keep the sellers honest and diligent.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: DECWARE House Speakers
Reply #96 - 09/09/22 at 02:23:59

So with some great irony while I update my personal pair of TORII MONO's, I have been using the House Speakers to evaluate the new 300B amplifier that is in development called Sarah.  It has 4 watts with reasonable headroom and turned up as loud as it can go without hearing any distortion, it gives me the perfect listening volume in this room on these 88dB speakers.  This has allowed me to listen to the amp in the high end of its range.

Anyway, the sound is very compelling.  I plan to use them to demo the amp at this years DECFEST.  As well, the TORII MONO's will get some more air time which is to say I expect these speakers to be well liked during the fest.  

I have also used them for several YouTube demos over the summer, so you can check our YouTube Channel and with some headphones get a good feel for what they sound like.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 04/06/23 at 23:32:45

I know the tread is old but I just saw it.
I feel compelled to ad the following.

Asian culture is much much different than N. American culture and that is also reflected in transactions.

In Asia and other part of the world, products that do not pass QC are not destroyed or sold as "B" quality.
They are stacked somewhere and sold as-is as a bunch at auctions.
Often this 'auction' is "by the container" i/e when a shipping container is full of 'stuff' the doors are closed and it is sent to an auctioneer.
A third party buys them, repackage them and sell them, often on Ali or EBay etc.
So buyer beware.

That being said not all products sold on these sites are repackaged 'stuff', just do your homework. I do not think it is 'bad faith' just a different culture.

Have you ever had Cheung Fun meal? It is very good.
Did you know it was made with chicken feet?(EEEEuuuuu).
Well the menu won't tell you, but you are suppose to know.

If I am not willing to lose the money when I buy on these site I simply don't.

Cheers,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Beehoney
Verified Member

Reply #98 - 04/24/23 at 09:03:50

appreciated!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2