Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 05:43:26 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lii audio Silver 10 or Crites style B (Read 4135 times)
Genion2
Verified Member

Lii audio Silver 10 or Crites style B
11/16/21 at 07:28:49

Hello to everyone!

I hope, you can understand my broken English and help me to decide about my next DIY Speaker project...

Im live far away from "audio civilization" and its difficult/impossible  for me to audience different speakers live in showrooms, so I have to make my decision practically "blind" and Im very dependent on honest user reviews... unfortunately, there are to many financed, not objective opinions on the web, so I hope I can get from you honest, firsthand experience opinion...

Actually my system looks like this:
Amp: Fisher X100 (Vintage tube amp, don't want to change)
DAC/Player: Gold Note DS10 (Don't want to change, don't use CD or vinyl anymore)
Speakers: Lii Audio F15 in decwaare style OB.

Im listening to different kind of music, depend on mood... with light Jazz/Vocals the speakers are great, Im very happy with them... they can play from around 50-60 Hz to 12.5 kHz ... but with many kind of music I miss bottom/top end, I miss "body impact"... the fisher amp does have "central speaker out" and I tried it with active subwoofer (JL Audio) - it makes bottom end present, but Im not happy with "coherence" (or binding, don't know how to say)... and Im still miss top end.

So, my Idea is to order Silver 10 and build this big, round cabinets by myself (difficult), or to order Crites style B package and build it.

My question is - does anyone here have experience with this speakers? Or does anyone have experience with Cornwall IV and lii audio silver 10?  What can I except from them compared to my F15 OB?  My listening area is around 20m2. distance around 3.5 m.

Thank you in advance

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: Lii audio Silver 10 or Crites style B
Reply #1 - 11/16/21 at 12:19:44

The only drawback going the Silver 10 route, is that you will also need help with the bass.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/16/21 at 13:01:54

Have you ever listened to horn speakers (Crites)?
They will give you more bottom and top, but not everyone enjoys their presentation.

IP Logged
Genion2
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 11/16/21 at 14:22:56

Geno and Lin, thank you for prompt response!

I have listened to Cornwall IV, which is quite expensive here,  and I hope same or even better experience with Crites cornsaclas... low/top end of Cornwall IV was much more present, but I liked "naturalness" of midrange of my f15 better... but I can't live with midrange only and add sub/tweeter to f15 is not optimal in my opinion,...

Lin, why do you think Silver 10 will need subwoofer? I mean, in big round Lii Audio like enclosure they go down to 30is? Does anybody made real indoor measurements with them? I can't find any in internet...

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/16/21 at 15:03:43

Genion2 wrote on 11/16/21 at 14:22:56:
Geno and Lin, thank you for prompt response!

I have listened to Cornwall IV, which is quite expensive here,  and I hope same or even better experience with Crites cornsaclas... low/top end of Cornwall IV was much more present, but I liked "naturalness" of midrange of my f15 better... but I can't live with midrange only and add sub/tweeter to f15 is not optimal in my opinion,...

Lin, why do you think Silver 10 will need subwoofer? I mean, in big round Lii Audio like enclosure they go down to 30is? Does anybody made real indoor measurements with them? I can't find any in internet...

Can you add OB bass?
A tweeter behind the Lii F15 lying on the floor firing up may give the sparkle you are looking for.

If you like Cornwalls, I think you will like Cornscalas.
Pi Speakers is another kit option. https://www.pispeakers.com/contents.html

I think you meant Geno on the last question.

IP Logged
Genion2
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 11/16/21 at 15:34:53

that's a good idea - OB Sub  (for example w15) would play with f15s much easier, than my JLs, but they will go down maybe to 40Hz, no more?!? and I would keep my system as simple, as possible - DAC>AMP>Stereo Speakers.
I like the idea of Silver 10 in big enclosure very much - no crossovers, full range, sensitive enough for my old amp... but Im afraid to order it without listening...I know, what I have to expect from cornsacalas (because I know Cornwalls), but I have no idea, what to expect from Silver 10... this is, why I would like to know, if somebody compared them with Cornwalls...  

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #6 - 11/16/21 at 18:54:27

I’m sure that the Silvers are similar to my Crystals, and I need (and have) two W-15’s. IMO, open Baffle Bass is magical, and there is nothing like the mid bass they provide. A subwoofer goes lower, but I found that it hurt my overall sound, so I took it out.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Genion2
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 11/17/21 at 07:38:48

I also like OB design and I will keep the f15 for some kind of music... maybe one day I will add w15's to them... but I would like to build "universal" speakers, which can play different kind of music and even use them sometimes for movies or tc concerts... I hope, to have enough bottom end (around 30-Hz), low volume dynamic, good sensitivity for tubes,... and I think cornscalas have all this... what I like about silver 10 in the box, its crossover less one point source, perfect for tube amps, but I don't want to miss bass/top end, like I do with f15... It would be great, if somebody have measurements for this speakers or can compare them with Cornwalls (which I know from listening).

IP Logged
Genion2
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 11/19/21 at 12:39:47

This is my actual system. I like it a lot and,I think, this speakers are just great, specially for the driver price…but, like I said, sometimes I miss top and bottom ends…

444DF993-D888-485C-8276-C055EE9FCC27.jpeg
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/19/21 at 14:24:44

A pair of OB or sealed subs and a tweeter firing up from the floor behind the speakers.😎

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/19/21 at 14:48:18

Also, look up Palomino’s latest post.   He has an interesting tweeter addition to his OB’s.

IP Logged
Genion2
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 11/19/21 at 18:10:30

Quote:
A pair of OB or sealed subs and a tweeter firing up from the floor behind the speakers.

Behind the speakers I have the DIY SUB - sealed box JL Audio 12W6v2 (from my old car stereo) fired with Dayton Audio SPA1000 1000w amp. connected to the central channel of my fisher amp. I think, this is one of the most "musical" sub till today and its makes fun with hiphop for example, but most of the time I prefer without sub...

For me, f15 are good as they are, without Sub, without tweeter. I think, don't need to try to add something to them, they are not made for this... I will keep them as they are. the question is, will I get what I miss on F15 (bottom/top end) with boxed silver 10, or should I go to multiway systems (I really like crites style B or even D)...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print