Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 11:19:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to HiFi, Looking to Be New to Decware (Read 3005 times)
Alex Scott
Verified Member

New to HiFi, Looking to Be New to Decware
11/11/21 at 06:19:05

Hi there,

Just want to put my story out here and see if anyone can help get me closer to parting with my hard earned cash...

My wife gave me the green light to spend a few grand on a speaker system a couple weeks back, which also happened to be a Saturday where my kids went off to their grandparents for the night and my wife was working. Not having any background with HiFi, and being a painfully thorough perfectionist, I spent that entire freedom filled Saturday watching youtube gear reviews and pouring over web forums. Since that day, it's pretty much every night after the kids go to bed that I'm trying to figure all this out. The last time I went into such a rabbit hole over a purchase was last year when I decided to exercise my second amendment right. I thought gun enthusiasts were the most obsessive bunch of hobbyist I'd ever come across, but I think the folks in this HiFi world have them beat.

That said, I'm attracted to the charm and purist leanings of these Zen amps and have been reading all through this website and forum in order to better understand this technology and hobby. My initial goal was to go for a UFO2 and some Omega speakers, but starting with zero respectable audio gear, a 10-12 month wait is too long for me. ( I used to have a somewhat respectable Sony Bookshelf system until my kids fed it CDs like it was a fois gras duck. Now I'm left with a $120 Bose Bluetooth soundlink  :-/)

I'm a bit stuck on a Plan B. The gentleman at Omega referred me to a SET amp by Analog Ethos as a Plan B. I'm even considering their DIY kit. I have a couple semesters of community college electronics under my belt and building an amp seems like it would be pretty fun and rewarding. It's the same price as a UFO2. I figured I could get the Omegas, build the AE amp, get on the Decware wait list, then in a year maybe set up a second system with another set of speakers. Being on the wait list for a year, I may even go for a UFO25 as that is likely enough time for me to save up (the vacuum air gap power supply liberating electrons from the dirty power supply grid is so poetic)

This is getting a bit longwinded.

If I may, I'm requesting some best option alternatives to Decware, either in kit form or complete. I know it's a bit sacrilegious doing this on a Decware forum, but I'm hoping you see my predicament and can offer guidance. I run a garment factory here in CA with my family, and am big on Made in USA products, so definitely lean towards something domestically produced (although not opposed to smaller/more humble offshore brands eg. Lii Audio).

Any help getting my search dialed in is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Re: New to HiFi, Looking to Be New to Decware
Reply #1 - 11/11/21 at 07:13:16

You would think that shooting and hifi would be counted intuitive.  I'm sure my stereo would sound better if I hadn't shot guns without protection😁

Have you looked at the Transcendence OTL amp kits?  They make several and I'd like to build one.  They even have a single ended version that puts out less power than the se84ufo but a similar philosophy as Defeats of direct sales but kits only.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/11/21 at 12:15:17

Look at the Elekit 8200R integrated tube amp (reviewed in Glow in the Dark:http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/amps.html).  For a good set of open baffle speakers I would consider Caintuck's.  While waiting for my Decware amps, I am enjoying the Caintuck Lii15s with the Elekit 8200R.  What source are you considering?
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/11/21 at 13:45:01

I agree with Louis (Omega), Analog Ethos is a fine choice to fill in while you wait.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #4 - 11/11/21 at 22:45:29

Let add agreement to Bob's recommendation for Caintuck open baffle speakers.  I went with their "Fast 8's" with a bass baffle and the combination has been outstanding.  Seems like most members of this forum choose the Lii 15's, so check that one out too.  Bottom line, you cannot go wrong.  Good luck.

Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Alex Scott
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 11/12/21 at 08:10:57

@Dana, I did see the Transcendance SET 1W kit. Even if I thought just 1 watt would suffice, I'm not feeling the aesthetic.
@kulafu, I have checked Elekit out, but they use a circuit board. I guess I drank enough of the purist kool-aid to only want point-to-point.
@Lin, good to hear some confirmation. The AE SET amp checks a fair amount of boxes for me: price point, aesthetic, point to point, SET, etc. Plus I'm kind of excited to build an amp. I feel like that's a good entry point into HiFi as a hobby.

On the open baffles, I did entertain the idea for a moment. Ultimately the thought of my 2 and 4 year old kids staring face to face with an OB sitting on the floor put that idea to rest. I need something a few feet off the ground and with a grill if it's going to stand a fighting chance. Plus the room I'm planning on setting up in is relatively crowded, so I won't have a lot of space to get the speakers away from the walls, or much floor space for that matter. With OB, there's also the possibility of an exposed energized driver giving the kiddos a decent zap.

The Lii Cabinets with Silver-10's are appealing, and Steve had a lot of good things to say about them in a post last December. $3k is pushing my budget, plus there's the matter and cost of getting it over here on a slow boat. I'm in SoCal and the ports down here have been traffic jammed for months. There were so many ships hanging around off the coast, one of them hooked their anchor on an oil pipeline and bent it like a bowstring till it ripped (see Huntington oil spill). Anyway, the task of importing something coming in on a pallet from China just seems like too much of a hassle right now.

As far as source, I'll likely start with a DAC/Streamer, then bring in the vinyl gear (turntable, stylus, phono stage, preamp) over time once my budget gets more breathing room. My dad has a few hundred records from the 70's/80's in his garage that he'll have no problem sharing.

Thanks for the responses. I'll probably end up with the AE kit. Still not totally sold on the Omegas, so please feel free to suggest any other speaker options, or help sell me on the Omegas. It's outside my budget, but I'm curious what y'all think about the 1.5 way Super Alnico High Output version. I don't fully understand it, other than the lower one cuts off at 200 HZ. I've just read that single driver speakers do face certain limitations, and Omega is touting that this second driver remedies that somehow (better for more complex music, louder, more dynamic).

Thanks again!

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/12/21 at 13:29:01

Alex,
Actually only the 2A3 is a set amp, the other 2 are seul.
My understanding is you can request triode operation and I think even a 6L6 option for the EL34 amp.
Contact Perry for details.

If you don't mind an excellent used set amp check out the link, a forum member is selling it (if I didn't already have too many amps it wouldn't still be for sale Smiley)
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649792689-erhard-ray-6l6-se-amp-integrated/

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #7 - 11/12/21 at 14:48:18

Ultimately the thought of my 2 and 4 year old kids staring face to face with an OB sitting on the floor put that idea to rest. I need something a few feet off the ground and with a grill if it's going to stand a fighting chance.

Smiley  Ah yes,  audiophiles must consider not only sonic variables, but stages of life variables as well.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print