Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 06:04:40 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZTpreamp for my Zen Triode (Read 2829 times)
Enrico
Verified Member

ZTpreamp for my Zen Triode
11/07/21 at 08:18:05

I'm back!
is there a schematic for building a simple Zen-style preamp? the CSP3 is much more than just a preamp, but I can't find anything about that either. I would like to build myself a preamp to match my Zen Triode, something simple but well sounding, like a ZTpre even unbalanced. Who can help me? I own a preamp that I built myself several years ago using two 6SN7GT in cathode follower who piloted the power amp very well with the 300Bset, but if I combine it with Zen it sounds worse ... and having read on the forum how happy people are a ZTPRE with the Zen Triode, I'd be happy to build it too.
Thanks for those who want to help me, and for your patience.

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Re: ZTpreamp for my Zen Triode
Reply #1 - 11/09/21 at 03:25:29

I don't know much, but a thought I had is impedance matching. Does your 300B have a different input impedance than your Zen amp?  If so, then changing the output transformer of your 6SN7 preamp may be the answer.

Brian

IP Logged
Enrico
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 11/09/21 at 14:42:01

thanks Brian, I think your thoughts coincide with mine ... for sure the input impedance of the Zen Triode is different from the Triodino 300B but unfortunately my preamp has no output transformers. It is coupled to the power amp only via a capacitor.
I would be so excited to build myself a CSP2 with no headphone output but I can't find a schematic. Meanwhile, I've been looking for a 6N1P-EV for my Zen Triode to replace the E88CC Philips Special Gold. I'm sure it will change the sound for the better, even if it's already exciting now ...  ;)

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/09/21 at 14:56:49

As long as your preamp's output impedance is sufficiently low, which it will be with a cathode follower, then that is not the source of any sound desegregation.  

I don't know what the input impedance is with Decware amps, but tube amps in general have high input impedance and will work with any preamp (frequency response being modified with high out/low in).

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/09/21 at 14:59:41

IP Logged
Enrico
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 11/09/21 at 15:18:10

uhm, uhmm, uhmmm !!! How foolish I am! I was just looking for preamps, but that might work too, if the output impedance matches the Zen's input impedance ... it's very simple, I hadn't noticed about the Zkit4 and now I'm going to study the features and I try on our forum who has this to understand if it sounds good. I would like something that is (like the CSP2) tested and happily working in conjunction with the zen triode.
Thanks Lin !!!

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #6 - 11/09/21 at 16:00:08

Hello Enrico,
Don't forget the 12b4 preamp. There's a huge amount of info available out there. A single gain stage ( around 6-8 IIRC ), an output impedance of 1K with no cathode follower in the mix. Noted for extreme transparency, it would not muddle the sound of your amp. Just google up " 12b4 line stage " and you'll have no shortage of reading material.

Cheers,                 Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Enrico
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 11/09/21 at 20:33:39

thanks Crazy Bill, I'm going to study right away! how nice our forum!

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/10/21 at 03:35:10

Thank you, Lin for correcting me on the impedance matching.
Brian

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #9 - 11/10/21 at 17:12:52

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print