Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 06:51:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
which amplifer to choose for Tannoy (Read 2316 times)
RossEvans
Verified Member

which amplifer to choose for Tannoy
10/25/21 at 03:52:39

Please help to choose the amplifier for a pair of Tannoy with 93 db sensitivity and listen room is 15 feet by 10 feet.  Sitting position is about 10 feet away from the speakers. Smiley

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Re: which amplifer to choose for Tannoy
Reply #1 - 10/25/21 at 05:52:47

Hello, Ross Evans; and welcome to the forum.

Are your speakers one of the horn loaded models such as the front horn Westminster, or the Scoop rear Bass horn RHR; or do you have one of the more relaxed sounding models without the horn loading?
I think a little different sound character in the amplifier would be called for by the two speaker types. With the horns maybe the SE34I which is a more relaxed sound amp. With the ordinary models I think Taboo or Mini Torii with their sharper sound.

I am only speculating and defer to those who know more than me.  

Brian

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/25/21 at 20:04:49

How loud you listen is very important as well (spl dBs).
https://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

If 0.5 watt is good for 85 dB, you would need 5 watts for 95 dB, and 50 watts for 105dB.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 10/26/21 at 05:31:53

RossEvans…. Welcome to the forum.  Which Tannoy’s are you looking to buy? Apart from how loud you like to listen to your music as Lin pointed, you have to remember that each of the Decware amps have a certain sonic signature.  Some are more relaxed and others are more bold.  

Also….how complex is the crossover network?  While I am not certain, I thought that certain Decware amps do a better job of handling more complex crossovers than others,  but Steve and others here will be able to tell you better.  

EdGuy on this forum runs a pair of Tannoy Canterbury’s  with his Torii MkIII.  Here is a his YouTube video…

https://youtu.be/zVoAxPCbmis

The craftsmanship of their Prestiege Gold Reference line is stunning.  If I ever had some serious cash to burn, I would love to buy a pair just for the beauty of the woodwork.  

Good luck and keep us posted on your journey.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/27/21 at 00:18:21

I have Tannoy Cheviots and drive them with the Zen Triode 25th amp. It get's loud enough for my listening on that system with the 2.5W, but if you want to "rock the house" and listen to concert level volumes you need more than 2.5W. The little Zen sounds so good though that I'm not willing to replace it.

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
RossEvans
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 10/29/21 at 18:56:20

Thanks for all the input. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print