Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ohm Walsh vs Decware (Read 6381 times)
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Ohm Walsh vs Decware
10/21/21 at 04:29:40

Aloha,

The internet is a dangerous place.  The last step of my once every 20 year massive system upgrade will be speakers.  I have the Magnepan LRS, which sound terrific, but my room is 12 X 20 (about 2100 cu ft), and the LRS's need to be pulled out 4' from the back wall which annoys me to no end.  Over on the Hoffman forums I started a thread to find an alternative.

That led to Ohm Walsh.  Omni directionals are totally new to me.  But I love the idea of being able to place close to the back wall, and have an enveloping sound with a broad sweet spot as I don't sit to listen to music, I cook and move around.

Contacting Ohm Walsh, they recommended the Walsh 1000's for my room.  Will be $3100 delivered to Hawaii.  In researching Ohm Walsh, I found mixed opinions.  Many love them, others say they sound like a blanket has been placed over them.  And there are questions about their build quality.

One poster reference Decware omni's, saying Decware build quality is better than Ohm.  Despite all my time on the Decware forums, I had no idea Decware made omni directional speakers.

That led me to the HR-1's, which seem to be the best of both worlds, omni and directional.

But the lack of reviews make it difficult for me to frame where the HR-1's fit in with other $5K speakers.  And how they compare to Ohm Walsh.

While I'll soon have a CS3P,  I have no plans for a tube power amp.  Are the HR-1's tube centric?  I read somewhere that they sound dry with solid state.

Reflections welcomed.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Ohm Walsh vs Decware
Reply #1 - 10/21/21 at 06:49:33

I have a pair of upgraded HR1s in storage.  Why?  My DIY F15s in big baffles beat them.  Mainly in volume though so your situation might be different.  Don't get me wrong, the HR1s are fantastic speakers with deep base but the F15s give me a more full and present presentation and get significantly louder, which I really like.  My space is over 8500 cubic feet.  The cost for me was well under 1K.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #2 - 10/21/21 at 07:16:20

DancingSea,

I ran my ERR radials with a Yamaha solid state amp for a while, and I didn’t think they sounded dry.  I was also running it with my ZSTAGE set to unity gain or just a tick above that, so that probably played a factor.  While I can’t speak for the HR1’s ( actually they are now called the HR2’s), I would say that they may behave similarly….but I would wait to hear back from others who own them.  

If you don’t have any plans to buy a tube amp ….then maybe buying a ZBOX tube buffer stage with no gain would be a great way to liven up the sound.  Just some food for thought.

Dominick

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 10/21/21 at 11:52:13

DS, there's an awful lot of user experience and reviews on HR-1 on this forum (HR-2 are too new to have much info on yet). Look around, not hard to find. I personally have had 2 pair for over 8 years, one pair more than 10 or 11 years. I don't want any other speakers though I have a pair of ERR in reserve. When I had a Peachtree Audio Grand Pre Integrated class D amp in my second system briefly I tried them with that. Not dry. . . I just love my Decware amps so much but that was good sound.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/21/21 at 17:40:43

Thanks for the replies.  Wondering how the Decware Omni directional options compare to Ohm Walsh.  I realize the odds of someone experiencing both are long….

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/21/21 at 18:03:48

If I looked up the correct speaker, the HR1s have a sensitivity of 92.5 dB/1w/1m but the Ohm Walsh are 85 to 88 dB @ 2.8V.  I don't know how to compare those units exactly but it sure looks like the HR1s are far more sensitive.  Remember it takes a doubling of amp power for a 3 dB gain.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 10/21/21 at 18:46:27

I've only heard Ohm decades ago, long before I heard a Decware amp or speaker, really can't say more than that I liked the omni-directional sound which is what led me to buy years later a Decware RL-1, then have those turned into RL-2 (my best friend in Texas is still using those) and then buying the ERR and the HR-1.

The HR-1 are efficient enough that I run one pair with a Taboo Mk IV and the other pair with a pair of SE84UFO3 Monoblocks. The ERR are a little less efficient, the Taboo makes them move but the Monoblocks run out of steam a bit if you like to bang heads.

The HR-1 sound out of this world in any room (six so far) that I have used them and lived with them in. I am just not interested in another speaker as I have tailored my system around these very happily.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/21/21 at 19:44:24

Sensitivity isn't an issue for me as my Marantz Model 30 is 100 wpc into 8 ohms.  Steve Guttenberg gushed about the Walsh 2000's.  Ohm says their Walsh talls all have equal sound quality, the model differences is strictly based on room size.  Thus a Walsh 1000 ($2700/pr) produces the same sound quality as the Walsh 5000 ($9000/pr).  My room is small, thus Ohm recommended the 1000s.  

Obviously the only solution is for Lon to order a pair of the Walsh 1000's and compare them directly to his HR-1's 😂

Whew, glad I can check that one off my list.....

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 10/21/21 at 20:07:58

I'm not sure what you are crossing off your list.

You won't find me comparing Ohm and HR-1. Smiley My audio spending is pretty limited (fixed retirement incomes are like that) and I've got a system that I truly enjoy listening to and don't have the "audiophile nervosa" raging in me any longer. Nor am I seeking after the best possible sound any longer. I want it to be about the music. . .it's becoming about the music more than ever again. . .life is good!

I don't think the Ohms would work well in my systems anyway.

Just want to note that I have been told that the HR-2 are NOT omni-directional, so it's the ERRx that is the omni-directional (plus) model able to be ordered now. So glad I have my two pair of HR-1!

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 10/21/21 at 20:45:54

I was joking about you buying the Ohms. The absurdity of you buying Ohms to compare to the HR-1for my benefit, is the joke 😂

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 10/21/21 at 20:54:47

Ohm has a 5 month waitlist. Does the Guttenberg curse know no bounds?!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 10/21/21 at 21:40:07

I knew you were. I have a feeling they are inferior to the HR-1 but that is just a feeling.

In your case I'd stop looking at speakers. Wait until you have your new components in hand and seasoned and digested. I think you'll be happy and willing to just listen for some time.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 10/21/21 at 22:11:05

I’m with ya!  The speaker purchase is at least a year away. I’m targeting Christmas 2022.

I enjoy the hunt. It’s my entertainment and keeps me away from the news 😂

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/22/21 at 00:12:08

The HR-2s use some different drivers and the design was adjusted accordingly, but they still have the same driver layout with a radial driver on top.

HR = Hybrid Radial = Radial with front firing monopole drivers

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/22/21 at 00:25:00

WRT comparing rated sensitivity numbers from different companies; near impossible.

Peruse some Stereophile measurements on speakers, some are very close to spec and others are way off.
Manufacturers use different methods to rate their speakers which leads to apples vs oranges numbers.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 10/22/21 at 01:10:09

Lin wrote on 10/22/21 at 00:12:08:
The HR-2s use some different drivers and the design was adjusted accordingly, but they still have the same driver layout with a radial driver on top.

HR = Hybrid Radial = Radial with front firing monopole drivers

Okay, thanks. I was given conflicting information!

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 10/22/21 at 01:53:33

Is radial the same as omni directional?

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 10/22/21 at 02:51:24

I think so but my OBs have a very similar effect as my radial HR1s.  Sound seems to come from all directions at once.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 10/22/21 at 02:56:45

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 10/29/21 at 12:58:12

Quote:
Wondering how the Decware Omni directional options compare to Ohm Walsh.  I realize the odds of someone experiencing both are long….

Not to despair, Decware forums are there:

ERR Impressions from long time Ohm user https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1279652113

ERRx vs Ohm https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1510447335

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 10/29/21 at 17:43:32

Great detective work Edsonic!  Does Steve make the ERRx himself?  Do they come with grills?  What kind of wood is it?   Is it a veneer, or solid wood? Is there a rule about proximity to walls?

The ERRx present a compelling option to the Ohm Walsh 1000s I’m considering.  I do like the many veneer choices Ohm offers.  Along with their 120 day trial and $350 shipping to Hawai’i.

I put a pair of ERRx in my shopping cart to get a shipping quite, only $833 to Maui!  Oy vey.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 10/29/21 at 17:46:32

The HR1 has a similar top driver geometry to the ERR and Steve specifically told me that the HR1 is good for situations when you can't get good distance from a wall.  I'm guess the ERR is also not sensitive.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 10/29/21 at 20:49:43

Thanks for the info Archie.  Do you know what wood they are made of?

Are speakers part of the same long waitlist as amps?  Or does someone outside of Decware make the speakers for Decware?

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 10/29/21 at 22:29:02

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 10/30/21 at 00:49:57

The HR1s and I assume the ERRs are MDF with wood veneer.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print