Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 07:51:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
High Readings on Rachel mA Meters...60+ milliwatts (Read 2059 times)
Deep Structure
Verified Member

High Readings on Rachel mA Meters...60+ milliwatts
10/15/21 at 02:08:49

My Rachel SE34i.5 amp (purchased new in 2016) has consistently shown very high readings on the mA meters since new of 58-62 milliamps. The manual suggests a max of 50. What power, pre-amp or rectifier tubes I use makes no difference. Does anyone know if this significant or damaging in anyway, or the possible cause? Tube life seems normal although 5u4 rectifiers tend to arc after 6 months but 5AR4 rectifiers last. Any ideas? Thanks.

IP Logged
Deep Structure
Verified Member

Re: High Readings on Rachel mA Meters...60+ milliwatts
Reply #1 - 10/24/21 at 05:37:20

SadWell with no help from the Forum and no response from Steve after nearly two weeks and two emails, it would seem Decware's service is going down the tubes. That's ironic.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/24/21 at 06:39:23

Did you call?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 10/24/21 at 11:56:07

I suggest always using the contact form on the site page and/or emailing Sarah as well. If I cc Sarah on communiques with Steve I get a response within a week or so.

Sarah informed me Thursday that Steve was away for over a week and they were struggling also to get caught up after Decfest.

I know it's hard and perhaps seems unnecessary but patience is needed when communicating with busy Decware staff.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 10/24/21 at 22:22:38

Deep Structure,

First please refer to the following post: https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1615347859/174#174 and then understand that the emails that come in my inbox I have kept up on all year with the majority of responses coming within 24 hours.  I am not backed up on my emails, despite the large amount I get I have been able to answer all of them, no exceptions.  That means one of two things, either I replied and the email came back non-deliverable, or your original email never made it, and was caught in a spam filter.  

That said, Sarah is currently overwhelmed with emails and there aren't enough hours in a day to answer them all so she is backed up, and most of my emails come through her contact form on the web site so it's not unusual to be a week old before I even see it.

Now to your problem; There are two versions of that amplifier floating around, some biased at 40mA and some biased at 50mA.  The vast majority are at 40mA.  Since it is a cathode biased amp, depending on the actual tube, there can be as much as 5 or in some cases 10 mA difference in either direction.  Since your amp seems to read high on both channels regardless of tubes installed, it makes sense that you have a 50mA model and that the meters are out of calibration.  I can assure you that the amp isn't drawing 60mA, but even it were you couldn't hurt it until it got past 80mA.

You are welcome to have the meters calibrated and the amplifier brought into current production specifications under warranty if you're the original owner.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Deep Structure
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 10/25/21 at 03:27:13

Thank you very much Steve. First and foremost, take care of your health.[See post 174 under Waitlist] Little is more important than that. With all the recent positive reviews in the audio press, I would imagine that Decware is overwhelmed with orders and requests. Do take into account that one person can only do so much. And now that Decware is entering the consciousness of more and more audiophiles, the pressure will likely get worse. You ever thought of selling out to Sony? (just kidding).

Anyhow, thanks for the explanation about the meters. If it's simply a matter of calibration and nothing is getting fried, I'll just ride it out. So I appreciate that. Now, go back to bed and stay well. Or I'll spread rumours that you're moving your plant to Quanzhou. That would keep you really busy with emails.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print