Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 16:36:58 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tube Parlance, Please Educate Me! (Read 16984 times)
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Re: Tube Parlance, Please Educate Me!
Reply #50 - 10/15/21 at 17:23:38

Also, I'm not a headphone person at all.  Is there an option with the CSP3 to remove the 2 headphone jacks and install something else?  Could VU meters be put there?  Or some other useful thing, like some additional volume attenuator knobs? 😂

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 10/16/21 at 02:55:48

Hey Dancingsea,

First thoughts.... Since you don't seem to want many of the features the CSP3 offers, including concerns over confusion with its adjustability, adjustments there to offer nice tuning tools to best improve a system and room, I am wondering if the CSP3 is right for you.

But I have answered your earlier questions I hope and maybe this will help.

Dancingsea said: "I'm a little confused about what's the "front", and what's the "back".  Is the master CSP3 volume knob the front?  And the two right and left channel output adjustment knobs?, pot?, the "back"?"

If you bring up the CSP3 image on a browser window, it might be easier to get??? And actually, there is an image on the product page that points to each tube spot and adjustment pot with descriptions.

But what I was talking about... normally the CSP3 is set up on a rack or whatever with the master gain in front (toward you) and the RCA inputs and outputs in the back (away from you). So when I am talking about the front, I am talking about the front of the pre as you would look at it in use. From this view, first, in the front middle, is the master gain pot with a gold knob in the current pic.

As the name implies, the master pot adjusts the gain levels to everything in the basic sound development path, the smaller pots, the signal tubes, signal caps, resistors.... not an expert, I gather that more gain in a traditional sense changes the output signal/sound qualities. While volume in the traditional sense would ideally just change the volume level, the loudness, and without changing the qualities of the signal/sound. It is the gain adjustment/sound aspects of the CSP3 I am most using.

Pot is short for potentiometer, which is a continuously variable resistor. They variably resist the amount of voltage allowed through the pot based on pot adjustments. With less resistance resisting the voltage, more voltage is let through. And the way pots we use are made, no resistance = wide open, theoretically letting all the voltage available get past the pot to feed the circuit beyond the most voltage. Then the resistance to the voltage increases as the pot is turned down, and all the way down, it is functionally fully resisting the voltage so the pot is "closed." If you think of this relative to a volume pot, meant to effect just the volume of sound allowed through the pot, maybe that makes sense?

Then moving back from the master pot toward the tubes, are the small R/L pot pairs, in this case with no knobs on them, so you adjust them by turning the silver colored pot shafts.

The first set of small pots we have been talking about relative to settings are in front of the first tube (the input tube), and they adjust the gain into the tube circuit as well, but with R/L balancing abilities, having one for each channel. And these pots have steps that sort of grab some, so are good for set and forget. Behind these, looking the same, are the output pots, that if I recall correctly are after the tube stage and before the output RCAs.

Dancingsea said: "My situation is sort of the opposite.  I prefer not to live without a remote control for volume.  I can control volume with the remote on two different Marantz devices.  The SACD 30n, or the Model 30 integrated amp (which can be run with the integrated preamp off if desired).  Therefore, in terms of volume control, the CSP3 is the odd man out.

Should I then set the CSP3 to "wide open"?"

Sorry, since you mentioned the possibility of the CSP3 for "volume," I stopped thinking about what a high priority a remote was for you. And as you know I prefer to use the CSP3 for sound adjustment, and not for volume. So I described my take on the traditional use of a pre for volume.... not as a recommendation, but to describe how one might use it for this purpose.

I don't know what running the CSP3 wide open would do with your system.

But I personally do not prefer any of the Decware gain stages I have very close to wide open, and like them less wide open...too much for me. And my guess, they are designed this way.... the best sound  somewhere in the middle, and this allowing leeway to tune that sound for more or less of it. So you can get the benefits from the intended sonic effects, then tune to better balance your system with those effects... Adjustability allows for finding the best sound enhancement in each particular system and for particular tastes.

But it sounds like adjusting by sound is not necessarily your thing, especially if there are a lot of adjustments to tune together. So if this is correct, you might want to just go with the ZRock2 for now. It would likely seem simpler and pretty intuitive to you. Turn the knob and hear the change. Or flip a switch and hear the change. And only one tube also, so less to worry over in adjusting with tubes... I suspect if you like your ZBox, you will really like the ZRock2, and it will likely enhance your experience by adjusting your signal in ways it seems you are after, making it more lucid and rich, and being able to beef up the bass in the balance to tastes. It still depends on adjusting by sound though, to me critical for optimizing the sound for different systems or system changes.

For example, I am testing a brighter USB cable going to my DAC, and put some more translucent/clean sounding feet under it. And all else the same, my system got a little too clean and lean for my tastes, even a slight touch tinselly on top. So knowing shifting the balance a little toward bass might solve that, I upped the ZRock2 pot a little, and the sound got a little fuller, warmer, more dense, and more lucid, allowing me to enjoy and benefit from the new cable and feet.

Or, if you did get your CSP3, you could forget about the adjustments that confuse you and use it in a more-or-less set and forget way. You would have to explore the initial setup and would still have to trust what you hear while doing that setup... adjusting according to tastes in order to more fully utilize its potential to make your system better. But once set up, you could just use the master gain for fine tuning.

Or, perhaps having set it up and realizing what it can do, and having learned some by hearing what adjustments do, you might feel empowered to play with adjustments further, like fine tuning using the small pots and tube rolling to get more of what you want. Considered this way, without getting caught by voltage and gain and volume intricacies, it is pretty simple too. And though the sound influences would be different, once the rest is pretty right, you could just turn the master pot until you find your favorite system sound. So it could be used pretty simply with more optimized settings other than wide open!

That said, I don't think the CSP3 is meant to be very euphonic. Though you could tube it to be more warm and euphonic, to try to go more this way, I think you would have to get into tube rolling. But to me the design is more about musical transparency, lucidity, density, liquidity, dynamics, weight.... basically making most of what is coming in more powerful, more complete with the right settings... So a consideration.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 10/16/21 at 03:36:04

Aloha Will - thanks for the thoughtful reply.  The idea for the CS3P comes from my curiosity about paring a tube preamp with a solid state power amp.  That's something I've wondered about for a long time.  Because of the lengthy waitlist, and because I'm relatively high up the list due to my longstanding ZR2 order, this seemed like the right time to give the CS3P an audition.

I've researched numerous other tube preamps.  In this price range there's the Schiit Freya+ ($900) and the Linear Tube Audio MZ2 (about $1700 or so with the power supply).  The not so exciting Rogue RP1 ($1700). Next are some YouTube infused small Chinese brands like Doge at around $2000.  Then the PrimaLuna offerings starting at around $2100.  And on up from there to the Rogue RP5 and McIntosh C-8 ($3500).

My analysis is the CSP3 is a freakin' bargain in that landscape and could easily cost $2900 (shhh, don't tell Steve).  And because of my position on the waitlist, now's a good time for an audition.  Otherwise it could take 2 years to get one.  And it's a no risk trial to me.

I'm very capable of understanding the relationship between the CSP3's master volume/ the channel output knobs.  The way I learn is to be very honest about my lack of understanding.  I'm not quite the village idiot I pretend to be, yet I know the only way to learn is to ask questions and be unashamed of displaying ignorance.

Steve's style of manual writing is very engineer centric.  I've read a number of his posts on the forums explaining tech stuff, and most of it is over my head.  It's an art to be extremely knowledgable about something and be able to convey it effectively to the unwashed masses.  Not easy.

And my situation is somewhat unusual as I don't want to use the CSP3 for volume control, just for a tube magic exploration.

I'm fine with experimenting once the CS3P arrives.

Is a good starting point, given I'm going to use the Marantz for volume control, to set the CS3P master volume at halfway (12 o'clock), and do the same for the right and left output knobs?  And then see where things are from there?

I'm sure once I get familiar with the whole operation I'll then be able to explore the finer points you so aptly describe.  You've provided a map to hidden treasure.  I'm just trying to get the ship out of the port first 😂

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 10/16/21 at 07:02:47

Will, funny, I never considered trying my ZR2 without my CSP3 although I've done the opposite.  I think it's a good suggestion if someone has enough source voltage -- which I really don't.  I might have to try that sometime.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 10/16/21 at 07:09:59

I have 2Volts out of DAC balanced so ZBIT is necessary but have been very happy with ZROCK2 and 25th Anniversary ZEN and no preamp. Preamp in future though! Yes, there really is no end.......

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 10/16/21 at 07:27:39

I generally find that I don't miss a component until I put it back in.  That sounds weird but we are generally dealing with "great, greater, greatest."  I did take out my ZR2 and I thought I would leave it out until I eventually put it back in and love it again.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that for me, every one of Steve's components has been an improvement.  The only way to stop adding components seems to be to stop trying new ones!  lol

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 10/17/21 at 03:05:19

Hey  DancingSea.

Sounding all in on the CSP3, I wonder if you have considered the 25th version? If you got the standard version fully modified, it would still cost less than the Anniversary CSP3, but the new version has no headphone jacks, and is perhaps set up more like you would like. Also fully modified in its design, and having more inputs, tubes that can be used sort of like meters, and other interior and exterior design advancements .... being Steve's current state of the CSP art, if you have not checked comparatively, it might be worth a look.

Thinking of your thought of using your CSP3 for signal enhancement and not for volume as somewhat usual, maybe I am off, but I imagine lots of us Decware heads, including some of us responding to this thread, might use it mainly for sonic improvement more than volume.

As for initial settings with the standard CSP3 version, I think there are several ways you could approach it, Steve's instructions being one, or the way I suggested in post 41 of this thread, or to be closer to your idea, the following.

You would have to see how it goes with your amp, and after full burn in, you may want to re-visit this. But I think you could start with the all 1/2 settings you suggest, except (so far) I have always liked the sound with more input pot influence in the small pot area. Before my particular modifications (a bit different than Steve's), after lots of variations over time, I ended up staying more-or-less with the input pots at 9, and the output pots usually 7. So I might try to start with 9 on the inputs, and 6 on the outputs, a little less on the output assuming your amp has more usable power than mine.

Then, this would be backwards from Steve's instructions, but I would think you could try it this way safely. With your amp volume all the way down, and with the CSP3 all warmed up, set the master pot at about half as you suggest.

Then with music playing, slowly bring up your amp volume and see how far you can go up to get to preferred serious listening levels. If you love the sound, and you have plenty of leeway left with your amp volume, you might want to start playing with the CSP3 master gain to see how it effects your sound. But if not much range left on your amp volume dial, like your top listening level is quite low on the volume adjustment, you may want to try the CSP3 output pots at a notch lower, or more. Or if the initial setup allows your amp to be set somewhere in the middle ranges, you could try to the output pots at 7, like I used, and see how that sounds to you.

Once all seems pretty good, then maybe listen a while to get a feel. Then maybe try adjusting the CSP3 master gain, say up to 6-7 o'clock, while compensating for the volume lift from the CSP by lowering your amp volume pot. The big benefit of this "gain riding" method of keeping relatively the same volume, is that you are not tricked by the volume increase making it sound better. Alternately, if you adjust the gain balance so that the volume stays about the same, you are hearing mainly what changing the CSP3 gain does. So you learn its sonic character shifts from adjustments. Then if after a while, this seems good, maybe go for a while and see how you like that sound playing music as usual, using your remote for amp volume.

Then after getting a good feel for it, if all seems well, you might "ride" the amp down and the CSP3 up more, say 7-8 o'clock on the CSP3 master, learning what even more CSP3 in the blend does, while practicing gain balancing for a consistent volume. Raising the CSP3 master more, at some point the sound will likely become too intense in some ways. If so, listen a bit to get a feel for that, but know that for that recording, and likely for many recordings, you are approaching, or into, a max CSP3 threshold for your favored sound.

Also, as long as your base volume is in a nice sounding middle to high range of your listening preferences, I don't think the actual volume you use in these experiments has to be the same from test to test. But I think being in a relatively full and complete feeling sound range is helpful for hearing subtler differences and learning the effects with gain adjustments.

So having reached a high threshold area, I would suggest trying going back down with CSP3 lower in the balance. Raise the amp a little, and lower the CSP3, and listen for a while. Then go further, lowering the CSP gain influence in the equation. This is harder to do because we get used to the more hyped up sound from the CSP3 pushing its sonic feel harder, and even if one of these lower settings might generally sound more natural relative to real music, it might sound duller for a while. So going down with the CSP while the amp goes up can take more adjustment time to let each change settle in. But it would be useful to explore in order to find your bottom threshold for the CSP master gain in your system and room.

And once found, you have a basic idea of your favorite master pot range for sound, and if you are like me, you will proceed to find your average level somewhere in the middle. For my needs, to have it play well across more recordings, I go for an awake and alive sound that is pretty neutral in spectral balance, allowing a little leeway for a little bassier and a little leaner recordings to sound good with the same setting. Then in time, using minor adjustments as you get more attuned to the sound, you will find your favorite average settings for that tube set, and knowing the sound well, adjusting for tube changes or other system sound changes will be more fluid and easy.

The whole idea is just to come up with a relatively calculated and comfortable way for you.... to get a feel for the sound potential from tuning the master gain for sound, not volume. And once learned, you are in a good place for creatively practicing finding more optimal potential, whether fine tuning over time for a more-or-less set and forget average sound... or for taking that further and tuning for different recordings.... or for easy compensation when adjusting while playing with tubes... or changing the small pot setting balances for better sound... or for integrating other overall system sound changes....whatever....

Hope this is of some use, and have fun!

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #57 - 10/18/21 at 12:57:06

This thread and so many others lead me to think we are all so different, with different rooms, components, tastes and even hearing and perception of sound.

Above Brad says he felt he sometimes wanted more power with a Taboo Mk IV and highly efficient speakers in a near-field listening situation. I am using the same Taboo Mk IV with less efficient speakers and filling a very large space and not running out of power and listening as loud as I'd like! And after living with Toriis Mk II and Mk III for many years I have come to really appreciate and prefer the sound of the Zen amps and the Taboo, they seem more natural and less "hifi" to me--I didn't realize that til the Taboo Mk IV came into my life and then I moved from Torii Mk IIIs to the SE84UFO3 Monoblocks and that impression was even further realized.

Maybe I don't find I need more reserve or headroom because I use the PS Audio regenerator (in this living room system with the Taboo it's the lowly Power Plant Premier) or whether it's because of the multiple drivers in the HR-1. . . but I come to very different conclusions with the same amp in a larger room.

I think it IS very important to have an amplifier and speaker combination that works for your room, sources and tastes. And that's not easy to find "cold" . . . but when you do there's a relaxation and satisfaction in listening that IS easy to recognize and enjoy. I hope we all can get there, and stay there!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 10/18/21 at 16:26:12

I agree Lon, what we like and think is loud enough is pretty variable, especially with different system configurations and rooms literally changing the sound of systems, on top of personal listening tastes. When I had a Taboo III in my pretty large spaces, well burnt in for a trial period from playing it a lot in my second system first, with my HR1s it was pretty lean and quiet, especially after having adjusting my system sound with Toriis.

But I have also worked from the start with tube choices, etc, to make my Toriis "more SE-like," more resolving across the spectrum, faster and more defined down low, more nimble/fast and spacious overall... more complex, fluid, and less forceful. And later, I was able to go further with modifications. So another variable, how each of us sets our sound up within our variable systems and rooms.

No doubt at this point my Torii MKIV sounds pretty different in some obvious areas, and lots of the subtler areas than when stock and with stock tubes. And we know a lot of subtle areas can add up to pretty big differences. In my case, it is the same with my pretty heavily tuned HR-1s also.

So just wanting to expand on your thoughts, that another potentially giant variable beyond system component combinations and room is that it is not particularly cut and dried how one amp can sound, or how it can sound in relation to another. Even without modifications, we know we can do loads to influence the character of a single component using adjustments, tubes, cables, power, feet, etc... and compounded by all the rest of those pieces that make a system... #$%^&*()

To me, another variable in this ongoing dialog is that the amps are always evolving, and listening to Steve's recordings, with Steve's current design choices, the new Toriis are different than ours were stock... family, but different... and then the bypass mod options change everything further..... so no doubt, conceptually putting together any system based on the ideas of others is tricky. But especially a lower power one where a threshold of acceptable loudness for a given person and system and room can clearly be quite real.

On that note, I guess that without a pretty accurate meter to define exactly "what" "loud enough" means for each of us, at the listening seat, and at our highest preferred volume levels, that saying so-and-so is "plenty loud" can be relatively limited information for this sort of analysis.

I hope all this dialog helps others though, and I am with you, I hope that everyone can find the beauty!

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 10/19/21 at 00:37:43

Will wrote:

Quote:
Sounding all in on the CSP3, I wonder if you have considered the 25th version? If you got the standard version fully modified, it would still cost less than the Anniversary CSP3, but the new version has no headphone jacks, and is perhaps set up more like you would like. Also fully modified in its design, and having more inputs, tubes that can be used sort of like meters, and other interior and exterior design advancements .... being Steve's current state of the CSP art, if you have not checked comparatively, it might be worth a look.

Thinking of your thought of using your CSP3 for signal enhancement and not for volume as somewhat usual, maybe I am off, but I imagine lots of us Decware heads, including some of us responding to this thread, might use it mainly for sonic improvement more than volume.

Thanks for all the great tips!  I'm looking forward to trying them hands on.  The part that I imagine/ guess that is unusual in my case for Decware adherents is that I'm using the CSP3 with a class D solid state amp.  Granted, my amp was just rated Class A by Stereophile, which makes me pretty fancy (g).

The 25th Anniversary CSP3 looks amazing.  I'm still dipping my toe in the tube world.  I began over 20 years ago when an Ah! Tjeob CD4000 (has 2 output tubes) bested an Audio Refinement (YBA) CD player.  Had that for 16 years.  As mentioned, auditioned an entry level PrimaLuna Prologue power amp, and didn't like it.  Then in the past year, added the ZBox.  So my tube experience is far more romantic than actual.  I believe the CSP3 (and ZR2) will open an entirely new door of tube experience and exploration.  The PL experience, which granted is a very small sample size, makes me think I prefer the SS amp side mixed with a tube preamp.

I've read soooooo much about tubes.  Yet experienced very little.  Tubes hold a fascination for me.  Just got a 1960's Mazda 12AU7 from Brent Jesse for the ZBox.  I love the old box, and the idea that something older than me can play such an interesting part in my current stereo.

To Infinity And Beyond!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 10/19/21 at 02:13:08

Yes infinity and beyond... lets hope you find that path more fully with your new toys!

And by the way, I could not tell for sure from the way you talked about the CSP3 Anniversary version and segued right into tube use in the past, and a preference for your solid state amp with tubes in front of it (and I don't know what PL means).... But knowing Decware has a lot of pieces of gear with odd names and numbers, I gather it can be a little confusing to those who have not been researching it a fair bit... Anyway, guessing you know this, but just in case, the new CSP3 version is a preamp, not an amp.

And I suppose I had already mentioned this, but if you can swing it, I would just go ahead and get the modifications if you have not already decided to do that, on both the CSP3 and ZRock2. Sending them back and forth to have them done later is a real cost these days and could probably pay for a notable part of the work!

And I have not heard Steve's in person, but know what similar in my gear has done, so can imagine, and I would hazard a guess that if I were not doing it myself, I would not have anything without them at this point. In mine, bypasses etc are such a big refinement that refinement is not strong enough a word. But I say refinement because they make everything about a really good piece notably better....same thing, but a lot better in every way to me.

That said, pretty subtle stuff can make pretty notable differences with how each modification part works with everything else. So I can only guess on Steve's mods, and hopefully others who actually have them will comment. Along those lines, if you look around the forum, I would imagine you might find they are well liked!

Exciting times ahead.... Have fun!

Will

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 10/19/21 at 03:48:30

Thanks Will.  Sorry for the confusion.  Because I'm just dipping my toe in the tube waters, I'm not yet ready to commit to the expense of something like the 25th Anniversary CSP3.  I really "ought" to just get either the ZR2, or the CSP3.  Which is what I would ordinarily do, one at time.  Live with the ZR2 for 6 months and see what that gets me.  The waitlist, and my ability to skip it thanks to the ZR2 order, pushed me to get both.

I'm also angling for some new speakers thus am content with the base models.  Once the Decware stuff is here I would've spent a lot on an entirely new system over the past year (except speakers).  I'm thinking a speaker upgrade ought to come before going head over heals into the Decware universe.  Who knows, the CSP3 might be too soft sounding for me?  I honestly don't know what to expect.  I might be "where the heck is the magic"??  

You guys are doctoral level Decware owners and really know your stuff.  I just graduated from tube high school and am visiting the Decware campus before enrolling.  So to speak.

Mahalo Nui Loa!  (fancy thanks in Hawaiian)

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 10/19/21 at 06:06:37

You are welcome and best of luck with it all!

Also a lot of us lived happily pre bypass modifications, and many still do! So though I don't think I could go back from where mine has gotten, it is all relative. The CSP3 too soft... I can't quite imagine that.... One of the wonders of it is its great flexibility, you can make it softer or more hard hitting with adjustments and tubes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print