Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 03:48:37 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tube Tots development thread (Read 11243 times)
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: Decware 2021 Concept speakers
Reply #50 - 01/23/22 at 11:58:35

Good morning!

Very interesting observations. I am going to try the "O" ring decoupling on my setup. My Crystals are set ontop of 8/4 oak slabs that are pegged to the cement floor. I've been shock in the past on what little things can do to give very noticable improvements...this may be one of those.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 01/23/22 at 21:45:16

I tried the o rings and ended up with mixed results. The bass improved with better definition. Better tactical display of instruments. Vocal and detail seemed a bit smeared.

Win some-lose some, the trick is finding middle ground? I only had enough rings on hand to place one at each corner of the speakers. Going to try more rings in line with the bottom front back panels in an attempt to better stabilize while still isolating. Right now the weather here is not to inviting for a run to the hardware store Smiley  

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 01/23/22 at 23:51:34

I've built platforms on springs for my speakers to sit on for really good isolation.  I doubt the O-rings really isolate much.  I've found speaker isolation versus floor coupling to be speaker dependent.  I liked my HR1s isolated but not so much my F15s.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 01/24/22 at 03:53:53

Yes. Painting the center board of the stand black will relieve the cluttered appearance. I think that is the right choice.

Brian

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 01/24/22 at 09:45:43

Archie don’t be so quick to underestimate the power of a o-ring.

The weather did me a favor yesterday by delaying the trip to the hardware store. I found a couple of plastic organizers full of o-rings tucked away in a parts cabinet. It took a night’s sleep to jog the old noodle of its presence in my shop. It’s a bitch getting old!

Anyhow, the rings that were used yesterday, found in a loose assortment drawer, are 3/8” x 1/8”. The ones that are going to be used today will be 1” X 1/8”. This makes the ring’s outside diameter 1 1/4” which will fit completely under the 1 1/2” front and back panels that serve as legs on the speaker cabinet. When placing the new rings under the cabinet it was noticed that I forgot to replace a shim that was used to compensate for a slight warp in one of the oak platforms. This is most likely the cause of smearing mention in my former post here.

After your comment about the o-ring not having good isolation it got me thinking that maybe your right. Basically a o-ring is just a piece of 1/8” rubber that seems to be fairly hard but the bass and attack improvements were real and got me excited until the slight loss in vocal clarity was apparent. So, I got my trusty stethoscope out used many times to isolate noise in machines, replaced the o-rings and started to play doctor on the speaker cabinet.

One speaker was without o-rings and the other with (4) 1 1/4” o-rings each placed at the outside corners. The cabinet without the rings was tapped on the side with my index finger knuckle and the diaphragm of the stethoscope placed on the oak platform with light pressure on the stethoscope’s bell with the other index finger. A ringing sound was produced and could be clearly heard through the stethoscope. The other speaker with the rings, performing the same scenario, eliminated the ringing sound and became more of a muffled thug sound.

I will definitely do some serious listening later today after the system is thoroughly warmed up Smiley

John

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #55 - 01/24/22 at 15:55:49

Direct Coupling or Isolation....

Why does it have to be one extreme or the other?

The O-Ring strikes a nice balance between the two.

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 01/24/22 at 17:03:39

I was just commenting based on the "mixed result" from the O-ring.  Look at it from the perspective of solid coupling passing ALL frequencies, complete isolation passing NO frequencies and then everything in between by tuning with "soft coupling/isolation" devices.  I typically concern myself with keeping all vibration out of my amps and TT.  Speakers are completely different but with an understanding of how the materials might affect vibration isolation, tuning won't be hit or miss.  I've been amazed at how poor certain "isolation materials" such as Sorbothane really are at isolation.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #57 - 01/25/22 at 02:20:59

Archie,

I too am amazed at how bad everything that isolates really is at isolating.  

I made a plinth using magnetic levitation when I was developing the Zen Audio Focus platforms to see if it was viable. By the time I got the field stiff enough to hold any real weight, it was also able to transfer some vibration too! That's when I gave up on the idea of perfect isolation.

Oddly enough, even if I could create an anti-gravity bubble around a component and have it just suspended in the air, sound in the air would collect in it until it began to fill up with vibrations that would have nowhere to drain.  Might be worse than having it setting on something.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 01/25/22 at 02:35:46

Well, if isolation is the goal there is good enough.  lol  

It's like the old joke of the mathematician and the engineer being told they can only approach a beautiful woman by halving the distance each time they advance.  The mathematician says it's impossible to reach her and gives up while the engineer says he'll get close enough for practical purposes!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 01/25/22 at 09:52:14

Well, eight o-rings struck a good balance in my system. What baffles me is why-o-why was it not realized until now! There was every indication that the concrete floor was conveying a mixture of feedback to all the components. It was so obvious when the amps were placed on the isolation stage I built a couple of years ago. But, when the speakers were built and pegged to the floor?!, oh my!

To sum it up in one word; presence, has improved a very noticeable notch in the Chariot. This revelation will most certainly push me to finish the Crystal’s cabinets built last year.

Pennies is all that will be needed for remarkable improvements when striking the right balance. I just replaced the diodes in the ZKIT1 with ultra fast ones. The new diodes unveiled yet another layer of detail in music. Combined with the o-rings the Chariot changed it’s character for the better. The $5 or so investment reminds me of days pass when five dollars could fetch a half tank of gas, pack of cigarettes, and nine pack bag of Schlitz bottles. That is all I needed to be set for a fun full evening then and now Smiley

Smiley

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 01/25/22 at 10:50:21

When I first looked at the TT stands a build up corner of a framing wall came to mind. Have to agree with Brian that darkening the center of the post would be beneficial.

On the other hand a swell from all corners of the base tapering towards the center of the post then transitioning up to the platform towards it’s corners would be exotic.

John

IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #61 - 01/29/22 at 17:07:50

I'm waiting to see what else you come up with Steve. Bookshelves are a great value, easy to ship, easy to move from room-to -room/system-to-system...I REALLY wish these were closer to 100db sensitive to work best with the lowest wattage tube amps. Smiley
Yep, keep at them, every post adds more desire, once I hit "BUY" I want a whole package, speakers, stands and even cable...hmmm...thank you. Smiley

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 01/31/22 at 20:34:42

Townshend Seismic Vibration Isolation Platforms

They use springs wrapped in semi sealed envelope with a pin hole to control the dampening.  

Springs need to be sized accordingly like Goldilocks not to firm not to soft.

There are also some companies that use pods and removable springs to control the weight.

Interesting article IsoAcoustics Testing at the National Research Council of Canada

https://isoacoustics.com/isoacoustics-testing-at-the-national-research-council-o...
f-canada-nrc/

Have you tried Blue Tac?
Any update on O rings being tried on the 3 ways?

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #63 - 03/05/22 at 02:47:50

Steve, any update on the stands? I had the ladies add me to the que for the second batch of tots and now i have nothing to set them on based on your musings…

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Tube Tots development thread
Reply #64 - 07/30/22 at 18:39:13

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print