03/28/24 at 19:31:57 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decfest 2021 (Read 11603 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Decfest 2021
10/03/21 at 21:03:42

I think this was my 6th or 7th fest.  It seems like each year the ratio of talking to people vs listening to gear goes up.  A few years ago it was maybe 30/70.  This year it was 90/10.

But I got most of what I wanted to get done from a listening standpoint but a few comments:  

1.  Budget deal of the fest:  Caintuck Audio Fast 8 with the W15 woofer.  I’ve heard many of Randy’s creations and this was simple and sounded great for the money.

2. Tube tots.  A very listenable and enjoyable speaker.  I didn’t get the chance to evaluate their real imaging capabilities but I believe Steve when he says they are good.  Steve says they go into the 60hz region but they sound much lower.  Big sound.  Great choice for a small monitor to run with lower power tube amp.

3.  I never got to listen to the new DM945s but they certainly looked good.

4.  Lii Audio big ass cabinets with silver 10.  I liked these as well.  I think the silver has a little on the crystal 10 but I like my bi amp setup with the Acoustic Elegance woofers better. But for an all in one the Lii certainly delivers. I wish we could have heard these with the listening space positioned lengthwise.

5. Steve’s wood shop.  Wow.

6.  Decfest regulars.  Good to see everyone. I don’t always agree with everyone’s opinions but I appreciate everyone’s perspectives and they make me think.

7.  Steve’s new Mini garage.   This was great to see/experience.  Ever since Randy did his he-shed I have been thinking about building one of these.

8.  Schlitz.  What more do I need to say. Nice addition to the brew selection.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Re: Decfest 2021
Reply #1 - 10/03/21 at 22:51:14

Hi, Palomino.
"5. Steve’s wood shop.  Wow."
I was wondering, Did you mean wow! acoustics. Or wow! wood tools?

It sounds like it was a great party. I am glad for all who could attend.

Brian

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/03/21 at 22:54:44

The tools.  As somebody who dabbles in woodworking, it’s a really nice shop.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/04/21 at 00:50:53

Palomino!  Don't forget to give yourself an "Ata Boy"  Your pizza set-up was fantastic and you pulled it off wonderfully.  It was a very fine way to get the group mulling around together.  Well done Sir, Well Done!!!!!

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/04/21 at 02:15:25

Thanks, Palomino.
Tools are always fun.

Brian

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/04/21 at 12:41:07

Wait, I just woke up from my nap. Did I miss Decfest again☹️.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/04/21 at 12:57:37

Yeah Dan, the pizza was a good social event.  Next year, Tacos al pastor.

Good cooking with you.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 10/04/21 at 19:10:35

DECFEST 2021 - Two 11 hour videos:

Friday:  https://vimeo.com/620013088

Saturday: https://vimeo.com/620865295

I was really nice to see everyone who came this year!  Many new faces and for the regulars it seemed like a much needed family reunion : )

We sent the streams out to both facebook and youtube, who deleted it and threatened us if we do it again.  It's a real shame that the ass hats in the music industry and big tech don't realize that their music is useless without stereo equipment to play it back on.  I'm sure every manufacture like us has about had it with this BS since we are the ones that make listening to music possible.

On a more positive note, above are linked 22 hours of live video from the main listening room : )

God Bless everyone who came this year and we look forward to lots of great sound in the coming year!  Keep an eye on the site / forums as we slowly add these new products to our offerings.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/04/21 at 22:20:41

One of these Octobers - before I permanently assume room temperature - I'm going to attend a Decfest!

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #9 - 10/05/21 at 01:55:44

Thank you so much Steve, DeVon, Bob and the rest of the Decware team !!!

Another successful Decware Audio Fest .....

It was so good to see many of the regulars and some new attendees as well.

The smaller listening room that Steve set up was a treat for me.
The size of the room and the overall sound made me feel right at home and if I closed my eyes the similarities were pretty amazing.

I must admit that I had reservations as to what a ZROCK would do to the sound ..... since I am a died in the wool minimalist when it comes to adding more components and cables to the audio chain.
However ..... I am now a TOTAL believer .....

The ZROCK does not affect any aspect of the sound ..... imaging, focus, clarity, etc. in a negative way.

What it does is add body and weight in the lower midrange and upper bass, as well as "density" to the instruments and vocals.

We played some Metallica with the ZROCK in the system and the jaws of everyone in the room hit the floor ..... amazing !!!

The soundstage bloomed and the end of the room where the speakers were totally disappeared.

If you don't own one, buy one ..... especially if you are using open baffle speakers. It's a revelation.

Looking forward to Decware Fest 2022.

Best wishes,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #10 - 10/05/21 at 06:11:44

Steve… Congratulations on another successful Decfest!
I really enjoyed listening to the live feed on my system while having the video feed piped up onto my television.

I wish the live feed could have went past 12 o’clock. I can remember years in the past when the hardcore audiophiles would stay up until like two or three in the morning to do some critical listening. It was nice to hear their evaluations and comments.

Also..looking closer at the pictures…is it me or do the HR-1s look a bit different? They seem a bit more squared off with a unibody design.  

It sounds like everybody had a great time.… Looking forward to some pictures of the event.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/05/21 at 14:07:57

Dom,
HR-2 now. Cool

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/05/21 at 15:26:21

Someone I know sure has been talking about the new HR2’s a lot lately.

Just sayin’

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #13 - 10/05/21 at 17:25:15

Lin,

Yeah I knew they had been updated, but I haven’t seen any pics of the new cabinet design until now. A lot of the guys are saying that the update is quite noticeable and not minor. I had talked to Bob, and I’m going to pull the trigger on them.  I love my Err’s, but I know these new HR2’s  are going to really blow me away.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 10/05/21 at 18:41:26

Dom,
Good afternoon!
Did Bob indicate what the wait time is for the new HR2's?
Best
Malcolm

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 10/05/21 at 20:19:31

IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 10/05/21 at 21:46:21

Many thanks!

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 10/05/21 at 22:05:10

Are there any good photos available of the HR-2s?

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 10/06/21 at 03:06:51

The pictures above show the HR-2s.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #19 - 10/06/21 at 05:56:26

Tommy,

Now that Decfest 2021 is in the books…i am sure Bob and Steve will work on updating the website.  I had asked Bob to email me some pics, so I’m sure the new pics will surface soon.  

Dom

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 10/06/21 at 06:34:33

It looks like Bob simplified the case by eliminating the angle change.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 10/06/21 at 11:55:47

Maybe I am just so used to seeing the angle that I didn't notice it was not there, but I thought it was.

Pretty sweet looking set at the fest this year.  Birds Eye maple, I think.

Also, this new version uses one of my favorite tweeters.  I just like the way the highs sound with that tweeter.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 10/06/21 at 16:48:38

Missing the dado at about 2/3s up -- where the angle changes.  I like the aesthetics of the break in the case side of the HR1.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #23 - 10/07/21 at 03:11:26

Well, they almost made it!  The new Lii Audio Silver 10 Reference speakers showed up today and me and the cats spent some time this evening getting them unpacked, assembled and situated in the room.

As you can see my little buddy Smokey, after helping unpack the speakers and patiently watching all day as things slowly progressed, is now frozen in the sweet spot. It is no mistake where he is setting. He loves our stereo. You have to realize that for the cat, this is no different than hearing the music of the Gods...  anyway he loves it. He is glued to this pair.

If you ever wondered what a 2nd density audiophile looked like, this is it. When this cat dies, he will have no choice but to come back as a human male audiophile... trust me ; )

Anyway... meet my dearest listening buddy, Smokey.  If only I could hear like he can... but I can't so I watch his ears triangulate to the music and from that we can map out a very precise sound stage and room reflections. If we video taped it and then went back and compared his ear directions with each sound in the recording it would tell you everything you need to know about your room : )

I've been using cats for 20 years to understand room acoustics : ). My first was named Tesla. He was all black and got his name because I would rub him upside-down on the carpet and then let him go -- sparks would fly off his fir in the winter.

Every cat I've ever owned was a rescue from certain death. That's why my cats are so good. They appreciative, and thankful.

Also, you can see sexy new HR-2's in the photo. I will have these on the site this fall with lots of great pictures. The sound is so refined it really has to be heard to be appreciated.  

You will be hearing a lot about both of these speakers this winter and both will be for sale on the Decware web site.  

Listening to these Lii Audio Silver Reference speakers off to the side while I work -- I can understand why Smokey is locked-in to these somewhat giant Lii-Audio Reference Speakers...  having some experience with a drum kit these reproduce cymbals as realistically as I have ever heard.  And even without break-in, the bass is refreshingly clean, tight, zero bloat, fast, free, and has no aftertaste.  This is pretty impressive considering the low end weight that is also there.  It's just so flat as the bass drops it really commands notice.  Very exceptional.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 10/07/21 at 03:17:30

Nice to see Smoky and the two new speakers. I really like the new HR2 look! Elegant.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 10/07/21 at 07:08:46

"If you ever wondered what a 2nd density audiophile looked like, this is it. When this cat dies, he will have no choice but to come back as a human male audiophile... trust me ; )"

2nd density!  Steve has read the Ra books!  
Carla was my pen pal for several years.  It is a delight to find someone who has read those writings.

Brian

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #26 - 10/07/21 at 08:27:30

Steve… The new Silver Reference 10’s and the HR2’s are absolutely beautiful!  While I did like the design and shape of the HR1’s , the new design of the HR2 is just as captivating.  Looking forward to the write up of the new speakers.  

Could you elaborate more on the comparison of the sound of the HR1 vs. the new HR2’s?  

Dom

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 10/07/21 at 19:31:59

My wife's comments when I shared Steve's cat post and picture:

"This is awesome how he uses cats as helpers! His posts just need more close ups of his cats. I can’t find them in the photos.

Oh there he is! sitting turkey legged! And that room looks crazy."

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #28 - 10/08/21 at 05:26:52

I had to smile at Smoky listening to music as my cat Chunk does the same thing most nights.  When she's into it,  her ears independently move to what she hears from the speakers. It’s a hoot. I just thought she was peculiar, and she is, but good to know there's another cat that appreciates music.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #29 - 10/08/21 at 05:36:09

The best picture of my cats comes from Neko who sat motionless for 30 seconds during a long exposure shot.  Only the fur on his chest is blurry from the heart beat.

click for full size image.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #30 - 10/08/21 at 05:48:51

click to enlarge

Here is another one of Smokey when he's not listening to music...

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #31 - 10/08/21 at 06:15:33

Quote:
2nd density!  Steve has read the Ra books!  
Carla was my pen pal for several years.  It is a delight to find someone who has read those writings.

It's a brain melter... at first.  Thank God the universe isn't our distortion of it.  If you ever communicate with Carla give her my gratitude.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 10/08/21 at 07:04:38

Nice! Healthy cats are so cool... I love them.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 10/08/21 at 16:25:16

Thanks for sharing Steve! She will love these.

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 10/08/21 at 16:44:34

From Jen: "These are excellent. I especially like the second one! Thank Steve for me!!"

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 10/09/21 at 03:49:16

Yes. Gratitude. That is exactly the word.

Brian

IP Logged
BadWolf
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 12/28/21 at 03:53:32

My photos from the fest.

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzwuCu

Zen OTL, SE84UFO25, Mini Torii II and III, “El Camino” MTM speakers, Schiit Gungnir Multibit, DIY "Zbit", dedicated circuits.
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 12/28/21 at 10:24:51

Excellent work!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 12/28/21 at 13:29:42

Yes, great shots. Thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print