Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 06:05:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii Jr V2 5U4G vs. 5AR4 (Read 4283 times)
Reptar

Torii Jr V2 5U4G vs. 5AR4
09/27/21 at 15:31:46

Hi - I received my Torri Jr V2 a month or so ago. I've been playing around as it settles in with different tubes and settings on my Zrock2.

I have HR-1 speakers with the recent mods that are also breaking in a bit still (I think).

I ordered the amp with the Tung Sol 6L6 tubes. I've replaced the stock regulators with NOS RCS OA3, the stock Rectifier with a NOS RCS 5U4G and the driver tubes with 6N5P tubes.

My most recent change was to replace the output tubes with Tung Sol EL84 which changed the sound a bit but last night I swapped out the 5U4G and used a RCA (Mullard- Blackburn) 5AR4/GZ34.

The sound of the amp was VERY different with the 5AR4!

I was loving the amp before swapping rectifiers and now just can't stop listening to it, going through my music collection. There is a much fuller sound, it is doing everything much better (including substantial improvement to bass response).

Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone verify the effect of changing rectifier tubes or suggest something better than the 5AR4?

The 5AR4 has a little less voltage drop than the 5U4g and is not directly heated which I'm hoping is ok for the amp (the higher voltage) and am guessing that the slower start will be better for the other tubes.

Comments/thoughts?

Regards,
Steve

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: Torii Jr V2 5U4G vs. 5AR4
Reply #1 - 09/27/21 at 17:33:57

Your experience is normal. Rectifiers “set the stage” for how the amp will sound. In my experience and system 5AR4’s give a richness and thickness. I prefer the 5u4 family as it has the tonal balance I like. If I wasn't running speakers with 8 15" drivers I might prefer the 5AR4's

This can be misleading! All the tubes in the amp change the sound. Currently in my Torii MKIV I’m running 60’s RCA 5U4G, Westinghouse 0A3, RCA 0c2, EH 6922 and GL KT77’s This is perfect for me and I don’t want to tube roll. A few weeks ago I had a KT77 get noisy, as I was waiting for a replacement, HK (another forum member) suggested I try the 7027A’s. I happened to have a quad that I used with a loaner ZMA I had. The 7027A’s were too lean in the current setup. I could have tried a 5AR4 to richen up the sound. It might have sounded very close to what I had with the 5U4GB and KT77 combo.  As I had a replacement KT77 on the way I waited a few days and popped the KT77’s back in.

What I suggest is get a feel for how different tube families effect the sound. Then it’s a bit of alchemy to create the sound that’s right for You, your system and room.

It then get’s even more complicated as cables can also change the sound significantly. I have a few extra power cables to help fine tune the sound along with tube rolling. In the above case where I thought the sound was too lean with the 7027A tubes, I swapped out my Cottonmouth Signature PC with the Cottonmouth Gold PC on my DAC this did end up richening up the sound a bit.

Better than the 5AR4? Others on this forum are more qualified on 5AR4’s.  I do like the new production TheTubeStore.com Preferred Series 5AR4. different tubes in the 5AR4 range will sound different. Not as dramatic as going from a 5u4 to 5AR4.

My understanding is the 5AR4 is a “softer” start than a 5u4.

The ZROCK2 also is a good tuning tool, after changing tubes in your amp revisit the ZROCK2. I like to bypass the ZROCK2 and listen for a bit after swapping tubes. I’ll then set it at 12 o’clock and listen. After a little bit I’ll slowly start spinning the magic dial, I also will back it of just a smidge after I find a position I like.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 09/27/21 at 17:42:52

Good advice from Groove! I like that Mullard in my CSP3 a lot--I have one that took quite some time to bloom. In my SE84UFO3 monoblocks I used Amperex 5R4GWA rectifiers that are slightly smooth and tight, and most of the time use Sophia Electric Aqua 274B which seem to share the best chacteristics of the Mullard and Amperex--a big 5U4G really I think.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 09/27/21 at 17:44:39

+1, absolutely rectifiers make a big difference. And what is more (at least in my UFOs, so FWIW/YMMV) they make some combinations of input/power tubes sound better than others. In other words some tube combos that sound meh with one rectifier will sound great with another, and vice versa. The combinatorics can be a little crazy making. You've been warned

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/27/21 at 20:05:51

Good thoughts all. What to add?

Rectifiers are my most rolled tube these days.... as suggested, powerful tuning tools. And though there is a variety within the Mullard made GZ34s, they do seem to have distinctive family qualities.... and your results make sense to me. I would describe mine as deep, full and powerful feeling, resolving and rich, while having nice spaciousness and extra good speed within their warmth.... refined and engaging tubes if they balance well with the rest.

But for me, much of the time, the NOS GZ34s I have tried tend to be a bit overly powered up.... a little too much of all they do in many tube settings I end up with here. But slightly milder than stock has always been a preference for me with my Torii III and IV. And lately, over years of progressive modifications, my system became more and more spacious, resolving, complex, and fast. In retrospect I think I adapted subconsciously to easier flow, transparency and resolution by shifting to even milder tube sets, still warmish, complex and dynamic tubes, but many of them notched back a bit from max.

I am pretty sure now that since I refined every component, cables and speakers over time, rotating from one to another with the same basic objectives, the end results of the whole have been sort of logarithmic. And as there is less and less to disrupt and modify the power and signal, less slowing and smearing, and more clear space, less powerful tubes act more characterful and powerful! Even with two or three pre stages, I seem to get more and more from each tube as my explorations continue. Related, I tend to feel similarly about KT77 power tubes as NOS GZ34s. To me they share a similar leaning toward tight expressive bass, spaciousness, resolution and speed... really nice tubes, but a touch too dramatic for me in a lot of tube sets here.

But in your setting Reptar, the Mullard GZ34 you got sounds like it put you in a very good place! The way it pulls you in more, it sounds like it is an excellent change there. And in Groovy's setting KT77s balance really well... so I agree with others, it is a lot the qualities of the individual tubes, but also everything else contributes loads to how tubes work together within a given system/room complex.

Relative to RCA 5U4G-STs (coke bottle form), some are bigger/fuller and darker sounding than others, but I find they tend to be generally on the warm/smooth side of neutral.... including relatively neutral dynamics...if a little slow at times with micro dynamics in particular, especially compared to good GZ34s and a few others. Good tubes, nicely resolving ... but not as clearly complex, spacious and dynamic as NOS GZ34s tend to be.... And not better or worse per se, just a difference I recall. Where 5U4GBs have a wider range of darker to lighter, macro and micro speed, and levels of space and revelation, so hard to guess on them. But I think what you are hearing comparing your GZ34 sound to 5U4Gs seems pretty on it to me.

I personally can't say with certainty how flexible the JR2 is with rectifiers, but 5AR4s and many other rectifiers work well in my Torii IV and CSP3, and reportedly, in a lot of the other Decware amps, so guessing you are probably fine, but I hope someone who has looked into this with your amp will comment.

Also, there are a number of threads on the forum from over the years with comments on different rectifiers if you search around.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 09/28/21 at 00:24:13

Lots of info on tube-rolling on the forum as Will points out. . . and it's been my experience that the varying tubes are experienced pretty similarly in the differing amplifiers and preamps. I rolled rectifiers a lot but I really am addicted to the Aqua 274B and I find that I roll regulator tubes for the output tubes more often now, mostly between three different pairs of 0C3 that I have, each having quite a pronounced effect on the sonic nature of the amplifiers.

It can be a maddening endeavor at times so I don't recommend embarking on it until you have quite an experience with the basic sound of the stock tubes and how they present the signature of the amplifier. And then taking baby steps and stand in that spot for a time to get acclimated.

These amps Steve designs and builds are so revealing and so expressive. . . everything eventually matters and you can spend periods on and off exploring and enjoying. Heirloom material!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #6 - 09/28/21 at 16:00:54

Thank you everyone! Your comments/advice are very helpful. I agree that some of the changes are more nuanced and some very much in your face. I have a 274b that came with my SE84UFO, I'll try that out as well.

I'm also wondering about the KT77, I hadn't considered that before - thank you. I have a Zrock2 that is wonderful and the fine tuning it affords is great.

I see that some of you have HR-1 speakers. I think mine are still breaking in as they don't have a lot of hours on them. I've been struggling with my input source as I find the system to be so revealing that some of my CDs sound like crap and others simply gorgeous!

Question: my system right now is awesome for Jazz, Vocals and some symphonic but for Rock just not as magical. Is this something peculiar to the HR-1s or 1- I need more break in time or 2- something else is going on and my expectation should be that the HR-1 can play rock as well as it does Jazz?

Thanks again for all of your help - greatly appreciated!

Stay safe.

Warm regards

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #7 - 09/28/21 at 17:18:03

Quote:
Posted by: Reptar      Posted on: Today at 16:00:54

...Question: my system right now is awesome for Jazz, Vocals and some symphonic but for Rock just not as magical. Is this something peculiar to the HR-1s or 1- I need more break in time or 2- something else is going on and my expectation should be that the HR-1 can play rock as well as it does Jazz?

I think the short answer is all bets are off until the speakers are fully broken in. Once you have a hundred or more hours on them then reevaluate.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/28/21 at 18:16:29

I think trying the 274B is a good idea as another frame of reference if nothing else...

On the HR-1s, I agree with CAJames, those drivers will need to loosen up to show the whole story. Playing them a lot will be a big help for smoothing highs and upper mids, and clarifying bass ...finally allowing more integration and nuance.

Your amp and HR-1s are capable of producing strong bass, and in my room/system, with the Torii III and IV, so much so that it was overblown, making it too thick for me... So sometimes what can sound like not enough bass, can be too much of it, making it too full and inarticulate... or even bloated... not tight/fast enough. And room can have a lot to do with this, with resonant frequencies muddling the sound, or cancelling frequencies.

But there are some pretty simple ways to try to fine tune the HR-1 sound, especially if the problem with rock is in part soft/thick bass that makes the balance sound off relative to more articulate mids and highs.

So I wonder if you can describe a little more of what makes them great for Jazz and others when the recordings are good, and what makes bad recordings sound bad. Also, do you have a sense of what might be causing the sound to be less magical with rock? With a bit more info, I might be able to help with some temporary mitigation measures to help as your speakers burn in, and perhaps beyond depending on the issues.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Reptar

Reply #9 - 09/30/21 at 13:46:17

I think that's a great question - why are Jazz/Vocals sounding so incredible and Rock/Reggae etc not as grand.

I think it has to do with bass response? I get the sense that when music has a lot of mids and treble, everything shines. When the music is "thicker", more complex? is where it's falling short to my ears.

The system is sounding better as time goes by - I still think it shines in mid to upper and wish they were a bit more fuller with bass but this may be changing as I put more time on them - obviously time will tell.

I haven't kept track but I don't think I have more than 50 hours or so. Some people are saying I need 100 hours or more - I'll have to wait and see. Using the Zrock2 has helped tremendously, I have the control dialed almost all the way up. This may be a case where I just need to be patient and let the speakers break in more. I find myself listening to genres that let the system shine more than R&R but am hopeful this will change.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and help.

Stay safe!

Warm regards

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 09/30/21 at 14:33:41

I honestly think you will hear improvement into the hundreds of hours of use.

I have had two pairs of HR-1s for over 8 years now (and the first pair a few years longer) and although I mostly play jazz and Brazilian music rock, reggae and R&B sound pretty darned good. They could sound even better if I were to tune/tailor the system with tube choices and speaker positioning etc. for rock, reggae and R&B.

Be patient. Keep experimenting with the interaction between your speakers and the room. It gets better and better albeit often slowly.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 10/01/21 at 01:21:05

I agree, time will tell, and it might take 100 or so hours to start to more fully hear your speakers, and more to hear your amp potential more fully. Perhaps around three hundred the speakers will have reached a nice stride, and your amp burnin probably long enough to be evening up and resolving more sonic potentials, making everything better. Especially bass seems more obviously unresolved during burnin in general, and I have even had some power tubes need 200-300 to resolve more fully, especially the bass!

But patience with softer, less defined bass in contrast to more articulate mids and highs in particular, is not easy for me, and may indicate other problems.

Bass being off could be from the system/room having poorly fleshed out and/or masked bass defining qualities... perhaps bass that is otherwise good, but lacking the leading edges, space, and harmonic complexities needed to sound like real bass instruments. When these defining qualities are not there enough, and/or masked behind too much softer and less defined bass qualities in the balance.... all the bass level in the world won't solve it. In fact, in my experience more bass makes this particular situation worse.

Whereas, as I mitigated thickening, undefined bass aspects over time, and increased the definition aspects over time... my bass has progressively become much stronger feeling. And it took both efforts here, reducing the smearing frequencies that overwhelm bass clarity and articulation in my setup, while finding ways to get better resolution, better speed, clarity, and dynamics down low. With more defined leading edges and all the other subtler bass attributes, I got a more natural, impactful and powerful bass feel. But measurement wise, there likely would be notably less quantity of some low bass frequencies here, though they sound stronger because you can actually hear them well from being in balance with the rest.

I can't say if this is part of the issue there, but it may be. And positive changes from a GZ34, one of the faster, more defined rectifiers bottom to top, and extra good at big, but faster bass articulation... and from your ZRock2, a gain stage designed for EQ adjustment, but as much, being tuned to better articulate resolution and speed for the bass as well as the rest..... in a lot of settings, these two together could notably help define bass better, so improvements from them may point to this issue.

But it is still hard to figure out what is what without more tests, and it may be something that goes beyond waiting for the speakers and amp to wake up more.

If this is the case, less bass overall, can increase the impact and power of the bass that is there by helping to reduce inarticulate low bass dominance, and hopefully reveal more of the dynamic contrasts and sound complexity needed for a strong, natural bass to be better heard.

So if you want to try to find out, it might be informative to try a few tests. One might be to listen to a few favorite tunes that sound a little off with the speakers wherever they have been. Then especially if that location is close to the wall or corners, where low bass stuff can built up more, it could be interesting to move the speakers out about 4-5 feet, and then listen to the same tunes. And if that helps, you may well be experiencing what I am pointing to.

Another easy test that became a lasting one here, and is easily tunable, would be to leave the speakers where you like them best, listen to some test tunes.... then carefully plug some of the little spaces between the speaker cabinet proper and the thick bottom plate, the "plinth." This can be done smoothly and easily with some "caulk backer rod" - closed cell round pieces of foam....or if on hand, other weather stripping that is a good size so that it goes into the space without too much force, but on expanding, fits in the space tightly enough to block sound some.

I carefully press it in with the blunt end of a small chop stick or similar, and just enough into the space to clear the outside cabinet edge a bit. This way it looks pretty low key, and I avoid the passive bass diaphragm tucked away in the bottom of the cabinet.

In my case I ended up closing the back space all but two ± 3/4" spaces left, one on each side between the foam and the wooden spacers on the sides of the plinths. And in front, I ended up reducing the space using two pieces of foam that are maybe 2 - 2.25" inches long, leaving open space between, and on each side of the foam pieces. This or similar may be a good starting point to test to see if this method improves your sound as you continue to burn in the amp and speakers. And if this shows promise, then playing with how much plinth space blocking you find best, along with speaker placement experiments could be rewarding.

There are quite a few other things you can do if this is the issue, including trying a rectifier with similar traits as your GZ34, but with a little less power push, so faster and less full/thick. But I think these would be good tests to more easily find out what is going on, while hopefully increasing musical enjoyment!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print