03/28/24 at 11:29:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Schiit Freya+ preamp (Read 6198 times)
danielehrenworth
Verified Member

Schiit Freya+ preamp
09/16/21 at 02:59:09

Hey dudes. Thinking about getting a preamp to match with the Rachael amp and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the Schiit Freya+?  Would love to hear any insights or suggestions. Of course I would love to get the CSP3 but sadly I don’t want to wait a year for it.  My setup at the moment is as follows…

Rega RP8  turntable + Apheta 2
Gold Note PH10 Phono stage w/ PSU 10
Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC
BlueSound Node 2 streamer
Decware Rachael amp
Klipsch Heresy IV speakers

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Re: Schiit Freya+ preamp
Reply #1 - 09/16/21 at 10:55:49

Howdy Dan.  Although I have no experience with the Schit preamp.  But, I can tell you that a preamp will add flexibility and gain to your already excellent system.

For years I have been using a MacMini, Teac DAC with my Rachael and was very happy.  Last year I added the CXN-V2, CSP and a ZROCK2 25th.  The additions have been amazing!  It's an endgame for me!

Watch the classifieds as CSP's do come up once in a while.  One just sold yesterday.

Dennis

IP Logged
danielehrenworth
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 09/16/21 at 15:16:40

Thanks for the reply.  I suppose another question I had was preamp vs. EQ.  There is also the option of adding the Schiit Lokius EQ tone control to the mix which will provide more targeted flexibility to the mix (as well as some gain). What would the advantages of the Freya+ be over the Lokius EQ?

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/16/21 at 18:41:27

How would you incorporate the Lokius?
Do you only use one source?
The Lokius does not provide any gain (unless you count boosting all 6 bands).

IP Logged
Cuff
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 09/21/21 at 03:26:22

Hey Dan:

I'm running a Roon Nucleus to Gungnir MB through Freya+ to a Rachael driving Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S open baffles in a room that's ~600 sq. ft. I'm not inclined to trade the flexibility of having remote control for the potential sonic advantages of a CSP3 since I'm already happy with my setup. I'm sure the Decware pre-amps are awesome, just not the best fit for what I need in this particular system.

I've used a Loki in a second system to try to address some room issues, but ended up taking it out of the chain and using the DSP capabilities in Roon to apply more precise EQ. As much as I like the idea of a 6-band EQ like the Lokius, it isn't the best way to address the spikes I have at 70 Hz and 1500 Hz in my room. Depends on what you want to accomplish.

Dave

Roon Nucleus>Schiit Gungnir MB>Schiit Freya+>SE34I.5>Spatial Hologram M3 Turbo S & Rythmik F25 sub (main system); Schiit Bifrost 2>Schiit Freya>Torii Mk4>DM945 (second system)
  IP Logged
SteveB

It's a fine line
between hobby and
mental illness.

Reply #5 - 09/29/21 at 23:45:17

If not having tubes does not bother you take a look at the Jotunheim 2. It would give you a phono input, an RCA input and an XLR input. You would also have RCA and XLR outputs. The Jotunheim uses the same technology as the Freya S for $499(with a phono card). You also get headphone jacks. Just no remote.

I like the Jotunheim so much I have two (one is for a system I am setting up for my daughter). I have the older model. The Lokius would be the same size and would go between the Jotunheim and your Rachel. I call the Jotunheim the poor man's Freya.

The Jotunheim, the Bifrost2 and the Lokius would all be the same size.  Just grab some of their XLR and RCA PYST (put your Schiit together) cables for easy stacking. Use the XLR cables for the Bifrost2 and the RCA cables for the Lokius... you will have a killer Schiitstack.

SOTA sapphire turntable with Soundsmith the Voice cartridge
Schiit Jotunheim with phono card
Schiit Gungnir Multibit
1959 Motorola EL84 tube amp
Decware imperials with Altec 811b horns and Alnico drivers
Raspberry pi / Volumio as a streamer
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/30/21 at 12:36:24

Underwwod hifi has the Black Ice F360 tube pre that looks good, and Walter is great to work with. If i were considering a pre for my soon to arrive UFO2 it woulb be high on list.

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
danielehrenworth
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 10/02/21 at 21:42:28

These are all great replies.  But now it has to be asked since it's the belle de jour...has anyone tried to Topping Pre90 with their Rachael???

IP Logged
Deep Structure
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 10/15/21 at 01:41:03

I use a Freya Plus pre-amp with my Rachel and very much like the sound. It makes the sound rich, quite "tubey" and lush. It tamed some fatigue I was getting with my Heresy IV speakers. I purchased it from an audiophile who also used it with a Rachel but he preferred a more "dry" sound so he went back to using his Cary. I much prefer the Freya plus. I too would have liked to consider a Decware pre-amp but with the exchange rate and shipping it was too expensive to import to Canada these days. I highly recommend the product. It sounds great, is convenient to use with the remote and is very pleasing to the ears.

IP Logged
danielehrenworth
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 10/21/21 at 18:42:27

OK so I received my Freya+ yesterday and have some initial thoughts.  I'll leave a more detailed review after spending a week or so with it.  Here's what I'm running...

Bluesound Node 2 - Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC - Schiit Freya+ - Decware Rachael - Klipsch Heresy 4 speakers

Point 1:  I no longer need a subwoofer

Point 2:  Why TF is everyone speaking about a preamp as though it's a minimal change.  It's the furthest thing from it.  It's huge.  My music now sounds so rich, so harmonic, so beautiful that I can't even deal.

Point 3:  Will eventually pick up the decware csp3 but didn't want to wait a year for it.

More later!  Thanks friends.

IP Logged
Deep Structure
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 10/21/21 at 18:54:41

In the general audio community I thought it was the consensus that Pre-Amps make a huge, if not the most, difference. It sure did in my system. I do continue to use a small subwoofer though....it adds something. My question to you is what difference the DAC makes. Seems like we have identical systems except I use the DAC in the Node2 and am happy with it. What did it add. Thanks.

IP Logged
derekinla
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 10/22/21 at 20:31:21

Just an fyi... Just checked the Schiit website and it looks like they have 2 Freya +'s in black on sale as B-stock. You save $50 with the B stock deal. B stock is not returnable but does come with the full 5 year warranty (non transferable) ...

IP Logged
Deep Structure
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 10/22/21 at 21:31:54

Buy it!

IP Logged
derekinla
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 10/24/21 at 04:01:04

One day later... and those two B stock Freya +'s are gone! New Black ones ship in 3-4 days and Silver ones in 4-6 weeks.

IP Logged
Deep Structure
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 10/24/21 at 05:02:21

I bought the black and it looks great. Just by it!

IP Logged
danielehrenworth
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 10/31/21 at 00:28:48

Quick questions for those of us using a Freya+ (or any kind of preamp really).  Is it wise to set the volume control on the Rachael to maximum output and just let the preamp control the volume?  Or is there another way of thinking about it?

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 10/31/21 at 01:29:06

A good way to adjust is put the preamp v/c at halfway and then set the amp control so you get your loudest listening levels.
Then use the preamp to control volume.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print