Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:46:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thomas & Stereo YouTube Review (Read 5153 times)
derekinla
Verified Member

Thomas & Stereo YouTube Review
09/14/21 at 06:55:54

Just dropped on YouTube... Cue the bump in orders....

Link: youtube.com/watch?v=aMUn8lR4rVo

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Re: Thomas & Stereo YouTube Review
Reply #1 - 09/14/21 at 15:36:12

Thanks for the post.  I thought this was overall a good review.  Perhaps I have seen too many reviews in that I anticipated most of points discussed, so nothing new.  Still words of praise never get old.  

Whoever did the video recording did a great job as the UFO2 looked great.  I had never seen the unit with the wood knobs before, nice.   Anyone familiar with these?

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/14/21 at 16:32:27

I have wood knobs on all my gear.  They are all hand made by me.

Years ago a friend gave me a couple of boxes of exotic hardwood scraps.  Mostly burl wood.  Mine are far from professional quality but they have character.  I installed gold service pins from my past employment.

Also, I made a bunch of speaker wire stands from some of these wood scraps.

Plan is to bring a couple of samples to the Decfest.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 09/14/21 at 16:38:44

In my main system I have all ebony knobs from Steve except on my ZROCK2 (I ordered it with an ebony knob option but got a black chickenhead instead--and I got used to it and left it).

I love the way they feel to the fingers. And the way they look on the components (which all have walnut bases).

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #4 - 09/14/21 at 20:15:57

I love the way they feel to the fingers. And the way they look on the components (which all have walnut bases).

Lon, you are referring to the wood knobs?  Is it a different feel than the gold knobs?  I tend to go with my sense of touch, so it would make a difference.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/14/21 at 21:08:16

It's funny, I have a draw full of those wood knobs.  I replaced them almost immediately with knobs that have an index line on them - and they always looked clunky to me.  I'm a fan of the chicken-head knob look but I generally use black metal knobs with much smaller diameters, especially on my CSP3 given the tight spacing.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/14/21 at 22:01:18

Quote:
I'm a fan of the chicken-head knob look but I generally use black metal knobs with much smaller diameters, especially on my CSP3 given the tight spacing.

+1 on the classic chicken head knobs.

I did the same with my CSP3, soon to go under surgery, installing those little black knobs with the white line over the 4 bare posts.....much better visually and functionally.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 09/14/21 at 22:05:56

Tony wrote on 09/14/21 at 20:15:57:

Lon, you are referring to the wood knobs?  Is it a different feel than the gold knobs?  I tend to go with my sense of touch, so it would make a difference.  

Yes. The gold knobs are knurled and feel like metallic dull pin heads. The wood knobs. . . feel organic and a tiny bit giving. I like the way they feel. But it's all a personal preference. I come on my mother's side from a long line of cabinet makers and instrument builders and wood has always been a fascination of mine.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #8 - 09/14/21 at 23:18:01

I have either too much time on my hands or running out of things to add to my still to be built amplifier or both, but for some reason this idea of  "knob rolling" has caught my attention.  I just googled "wooden knobs" and it opened up a whole new world!  Generically, would "guitar" knobs fit Decware amps or is there a specific knob size to match?  And, I promise, this is my last knob question.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 09/14/21 at 23:31:59

1/4" shaft with a set screw.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
OKNOTOK
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 02/01/22 at 17:02:45

Thomas also got his hands on a new Torii MKV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ6Ix07Edss&t=505s

IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/01/22 at 17:57:03

Woah! He does have one, that is early in its production.  Looking forward to his review!

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
urbino
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 02/11/22 at 00:13:34

I'd missed that vid, Oknotok.  Thanks for the link.  Will have to keep my eye out for the review.

Michell GyroDec SE w/ Sumiko Celebration II \ E.A.T. E-Glo Petit phono \ McIntosh C49 \ McIntosh MC152 (on the list for a Torii V) \ HiFi Rose RS250 \ Denafrips Pontus II \ Tannoy Stirling GR \ REL T9i (pair)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print