Send Topic Print
The SE84UFO2 Updates (Read 4764 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

The SE84UFO2 Updates
08/16/21 at 05:45:53

click image to view the larger high res version.

This is a SE84UFO2 being tested for channel balance and to make sure the tube harmonics match between the two channels as well as noise and hum.

I know there are a lot of you waiting in line to get one of these and thought you might enjoy knowing that since the web page was written, we have stopped using both the beeswax caps and the copper foil beeswax caps due to Covid Logistic issues with the manufacture. The Copper foil beeswax were an upgrade worth a couple hundred bucks.  We have eliminated the option of two types of caps and are now shipping all amps with the MIFLEX Copper Foil caps which sound as good or better than the copper foil beeswax and will last forever without having to be replaced in 30 years.  

So even though the wait is long, the sound of this amp will melt you face off and it will last forever.  Output tubes are rated at 10,000 hours each, but if you clip them a lot it can be less.  

We have also changed the speaker binding posts, again for logistics reasons and again to a little better model.  

The graph is shown at 1 watt of output where most people listen to it.  The first (even order) harmonic is the only one audible at this output level.  

Here is the same thing but at a higher bin count to accurately show 60 and 120 cycle hum.

Again you have to click on the image to see it full size.

This shows the 60 cycle and 120 cycle hum at -64dB below the 1 watt listening level. In our tests, -54dB is actually the line of inaudibility on 100dB speakers, so -64dB would be if the speakers were inserted into your head. The smaller peaks are the harmonics of the first two peaks.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Thermionic
Verified Member

Re: The SE84UFO2 Updates
Reply #1 - 08/16/21 at 17:48:08

Steve thanks for the update.  I assume the capacitor and speaker terminal upgrades carry forward to the SE84UFO25 as well.

SE84UFO anniversary mods, Coda 02b, Sim Audio LP310, Linn LP 12, Metrum Onyx, MAC mini, PAP Trio15 Classic PiFe, OPPO 103, PSA P15 regen, various cables, many LPs
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 08/17/21 at 02:54:45

Yes, they do carry forward, however the binding posts used on the UFO25 are not the same ones used on the UFO2.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/19/21 at 20:17:52

Cool Steve! Mine hit THE BENCH this week and I am fired up. I wait in anticipation of inserting her in the system and going on a "magical mystery tour" !

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
Trey Hutchison
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 11/24/21 at 04:02:52

That’s awesome Steve!
I can’t wait to get my hands on mine

Trey Basis Audio 2200, Grado Prestige Reference, PS Audio Stellar Phono, PS Audio BHK Preamplifier, PS Audio BHK 250 Power Amplifier, PS Audio Directstream DAC , Magnepan 3.7 , REL Subwoofers
WWW   IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/27/21 at 00:12:43

There are two variations of the anniversary mod: Level 1) poly bypass mod. Level 2) copper foil bypass mod. So how do I change my original order ? Might want a different base and knob also lol. Thought I read somewhere Decware will reach out sometime before the order gets built. Could  Any of you fine gentlemen help out . My first purchase with Decware.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/27/21 at 00:30:16

Use the contact form and tell Sarah or call her.  She will make the changes.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/27/21 at 00:39:26

Thank you Archie.

IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/09/21 at 18:51:15

I need to go fishing and try to ignore this for a while. I convinced our son to order as well. Now, when we speak to one another over the phone, (He's in Ohio) first thing mentioned is how are you? Next comes Decware speak. Love this forum and the fact that Mr. Deckert checks in pretty often. Learning so much just reading here. You folks are awesome! Take care all~ Goin' fishin'.   Mike

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print