Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:08:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Poly bypass vs anniversary mod (Read 3997 times)
JP
Verified Member

Poly bypass vs anniversary mod
08/13/21 at 18:24:55

Hello. Have a Tori jr that’s soon coming up for build. I could not find an answer to this question.  What’s the difference between  the 2 and is it worth the $250 upgrade ?  
Thanks

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Poly bypass vs anniversary mod
Reply #1 - 08/13/21 at 18:43:36

The difference I am pretty certain is the type of capacitors used in the bypass. The poly is the standard, and the Anniversary used to be Jupiter Type 2 but now I believe that Steve is using Miflex copper capacitors for the upgraded bypass.

There is a significant sonic difference I believe. (Though I have had the poly caps and the Miflex caps both in separate components, I have had the Mifle in a bypass in the ZROCK2 and the poly in a non-bypass ZROCK2. I would describe the Anniversary with Miflex as more revealing of detail and dynamics--noticeably, more than a subtle difference.

But there's this: you'll hear more of everything with the Anniversary, which means you'll hear shortcomings of source and cabling etc. In my case that led me over time to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade. . . and at times to be more about the gear than the music. I've come across to the other side of that now with all my components with great sources and upgraded caps but one (ZTPRE) and very happy . . . but it was a journey of time and money. But that may be just me. I've been susceptible to that on my audio journey, not everyone is.

So for me it's a worhtwhile upgrade, but I can also understand choosing the poly upgrade and being very happy without embarking on a longer audio trek.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/13/21 at 19:12:20

A good rule of thumb with Decware is to ALWAYS go for the full upgrades on the front end.  It will save you from having to send it in later.  Steve tries to keep things affordable so he offers more basic versions but he constantly innovates and makes thing better with time via upgrades.

I see that Lon has responded as I was writing this.  I was going to point out as well that the $250 is an Anniversary mod as the unit is already "type 2."  I still think it's advisable to go for the mod since you can always, and probably will, upgrade sources, etc. as time goes by and you'll want the amp to be the best it can be.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
JP
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 08/13/21 at 20:00:35

Thank you for the quick responses. I will call and add the mod on Monday
As far as  my other equipment, I  have
vpi prime tt, ps audio stellar phono pre, don sachs linestage, bel canto e one streamer , and spatial audio x5 open baffle speakers.  I think my gear is up to snuff at this point and do not expect the anniversary mod to cause any upgraditis ( at least for the near future )

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/13/21 at 22:27:54

Good call.   Wink

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Giggsy
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 08/14/21 at 17:43:04

Steve noted in the description of the type 2 that the Anniversary mod was now standard.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/14/21 at 18:29:51

It's in the shopping cart as a $250 option so it doesn't seem to be standard unless he didn't update the cart info.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/15/21 at 16:52:13

Not sure if this link/thread helps.  Unless I misunderstood, it comes with the anniversary mods....
Bob
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1608681355

Omega SAMS,Altec 604C in O/B,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800)
Caintuck Lii 15s, T6s, CSP3 25tt , Elekit 8900,IFI Zen Stream, Pontus I
  IP Logged
JP
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 08/15/21 at 16:56:52

On a few posts down from the thread link you posted Steve says the following

The Beeswax Bypass Cap mod on the original TORII JR., was $400.  On the new TORII JR., the amp already comes with a poly bypass cap mod standard, but there will be an upgraded version of it that replaces four of the caps with the same Mundorfs used in the signal path.  This option will cost $250

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/15/21 at 17:56:56

Good find.  That clears up a lot.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print