Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 12:00:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Where Does The ZLC Rank? (Read 2585 times)
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Where Does The ZLC Rank?
08/09/21 at 21:35:33

Given it seems there is currently perhaps a 21 month wait on new orders at current shipped production rates, just wondering where the ZLC ranks amongst comparably priced peers?  And what those peers might be at the $1000 or under price point?

I currently have a $140 Furman.  Not opposed to waiting, just curious if I need to.  I do have utter confidence in Decware either way.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Where Does The ZLC Rank?
Reply #1 - 08/10/21 at 01:03:27

My two cents: I have a ZLC and three different PS Audio power regenerators. I like the ZLC but each of the regenerators offer a little more in each system. I would consider a Stellar P3. If I can I will probably get one in the future to take the place of my Power Plant Premier.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 08/10/21 at 01:08:06

My two cents: I have a ZLC and three different PS Audio power regenerators. I like the ZLC but each of the regenerators offer a little more in each system. I would consider a Stellar P3. If I can I will probably get one in the future to take the place of my Power Plant Premier.

I use the ZLC in my living room system for my CSP2+ and ZRock2, and a clock. Its wide flat surface allows me to put a Skylan stand on it to hold my CSP2+. In that system all components fit behind a cadenza my wife loves except the Blu-ray player and the DVR.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/10/21 at 01:08:57

Thanks Lon. I’ve been a bit dissuaded about the PS Audio options based on the thread where the guy had all his fuses blow as well as Steve’s perspective on the topic.  And the PS Audio options are over $2100, right?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 08/10/21 at 01:36:35

That account is the only instance I have ever seen where someone has had such a happening with a regenerator.

I've been using PS Audio regenerators myself since the P300 first came out and nothing like that has ever happened. I've owned a total of five over the years since they were first introduced, and I have never had a single component blow a fuse in any way related to a regenerator, nor have I had a regenerator blow a fuse.

Yes, I think the P3 lists for 2100 but persons upgrade all the time so I imagine a slightly used one could be found and PS Audio actually just ran a sale--though I didn't get an email and didn't see the price.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/10/21 at 01:40:40

Lon, do you still consider the ZLC a relevant product for the price?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 08/10/21 at 01:52:17

I really don't know what to think about the ZLC. It does a good job but lacks the features and ultimate sound I get from regenerators. I compared it to a 25 year old Monster Cable power conditioner and it really to my ears didn't sound that different, even using a much better power cord. I did so in my least resolving system, but that was still a system where the price of the ZLC would be appropriate.

I compared it directly with the same power cord to the PS Audio P15 as the power center for my main system. Clearly the P15 was in a different league, and for the price it should be. The ZLC produced a brighter more forward sound--and I like a darker, more laid back sound. I used it between the wall and my P15 and an identical additional power cord and that did not to me sound better than the P15 alone. I tried it powering my analog components and the P15 my digital components and vice versa. In each case the P15 alone was clearly the better option for my system.

It's a very well made and confidence-inspiring component. I really like its heft and strong case. I wish I liked what it does more. Definitely it is not designed to do more, and is designed to be transparent, adding or subtracting nothing. I'm just sold on what the regenerators do for a system that nothing else I have tried has done. And now won't do without that.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/10/21 at 02:14:43

As always Lon, appreciate the great insight 👍

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print