Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 13:36:22 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Upgrading from Almarro A205A amp (Read 1684 times)
EPJPhoto
Verified Member

Upgrading from Almarro A205A amp
08/05/21 at 18:21:55

I'm looking into upgrading from my Almarro A205A amp to one of the decware amps and wondering what I should get! I have two input sources (vinyl and DAC) and am powering a set of efficient Omega Super 7 speakers. Trying to decide between the Tori II JR and the SE34I... tough decision!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Upgrading from Almarro A205A amp
Reply #1 - 08/05/21 at 18:42:25

The SE34I.5 would be the same power as you have now, but it would be Triode with zero negative feedback.  Unless you think you would like to have more power than you do now, no reason to spend the extra money.  Only you know how many times you've turned things up and began to worry about power.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
thethanimal

Reply #2 - 08/05/21 at 22:03:17

Why not go with one of the SE84UFO models? Unless you like your pants flapping from the bass that should be enough power for your Omegas. I have similar Audio Nirvana speakers and never crank it all the way up in my open concept living room.

IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/10/21 at 05:19:28

I've owned an Almarro A205, an SE34I.2+, and a Torii Mk IV, in that order.

I agree with Steve that if you're driving the Omegas the SE34 will give you all you need unless you like it crazy loud or have a really big room.

If you think you might want different speakers in the future and you can afford it, the Torii will give you way more flexibility.

You really can't go wrong with either as they both sound great. As a bonus, the Almarro is bringing top dollar these days since they're no longer being built.

David

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/10/21 at 16:06:14

What was wrong with Almarro?

I believe that having power on reserve beats risking a bit of a lean presentation and having to pull the full throttle trick just to get by.

The Torii will give you that reseve, and it will provide more avenues for sound shaping.

Do you want "maybe enough" given the constraints of speaker matching, or more long term flexibility?

JMHO.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print