Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube Production News (Read 3135 times)
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Tube Production News
08/03/21 at 23:27:32

This is not good. Stock up my friends.

https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/panic-on-availability-of-vacuum-tubes-mike-mat...
thews-future-valve-amps/

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Re: Tube Production News
Reply #1 - 08/04/21 at 00:31:53

long term food storage, water, 10-25% gold on your portfolio, durable goods, guns & ammo, shortwave radio, batteries, your own garden, $50k cash not in a bank, fuel storage, etc, etc

stock up for at least 6 mos. usage food & water......for what's coming will be massive and painful.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 08/04/21 at 01:13:40

The Shugang factory closure in China if it's true, would create a vacuum that would be immediately filled by new factories in China.  I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it.  Decware has never purchased a single tube from Mike Mathews since 1999 when we parted ways, and we also do not use or care for Chinese tubes.  The fancy ones do sound good, but have massive reliability issues in our experience.  It seems that in China and other places that make fancy tubes for high prices, that the emphasis is always on the sound of the tube.  In the 1940's when our national security depended on the quality of a tube, that was the emphasis.  Interestingly, if the quality is top drawer, the sound will be too, but not the other way around.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/04/21 at 01:20:28

From your post Steve, I get the impression that a narrative is being pushed to create panic and sell more tubes!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/04/21 at 02:51:19

I have not had great luck with reliability with some of the Shuguang rectifiers that came with my amps, but not terrible either. For me the issue with them has been more related to my sound preferences.

Chinese made power tubes (none fancy) I have had over the years on the other hand have been nice tubes for the most part, and I can't recall any failing prematurely. Maybe I was just lucky, but I have no complaints. Perhaps more importantly, for my tastes, at least the tubes I have gotten, were better sounding tubes than most of the Russian tubes I have tried. I found those from China generally less solid and hard.... more delicate, nuanced and complex. I can imagine an overall Russian tube sound preference, but not in my setting and for my tastes.

Having preferred NOS 807s for many years, my current favorite all-round power tube in my Torii is a Shuguang (now with many, many hours and still quite nice to me)....open, balanced, and notably resolving of fine detail and space.... It sounds a lot like a powered up 807 in my setting. https://www.thetubestore.com/preferred-series-6l6gc

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/04/21 at 02:55:10

I like that Steve dislikes CCP tubes.....IMO they are either cheap garvage or overpriced garbage. Quality control has never been a communist ideal.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/04/21 at 17:48:32

Quote:
Quality control has never been a communist ideal.

I think the USSR would disagree when it came to their tubes.  I have great success with them.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/11/21 at 02:07:38

I read that piece and it seemed to be a little click-baity as they walked it back a bit, and most of the new production audiophile (vs. musical instrument) stuff does not seem to be from China.

Now if something happens to New Sensor...that would be bad.

Long-term, I hope it could be a blessing in disguise (for audiophiles vs. value seekers).  If there was less new cheap junk coming out...could allow someone to expand in making better new stuff without getting squeezed by the cheapies.  I'd love for more companies to have the space to build higher quality stuff, and at volumes that would make the costs reasonable.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/11/21 at 03:11:46

It is a stupid-ass article to be sure, written by someone who would not know the difference between shit and apple butter.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/12/21 at 03:50:24

LOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print