Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 17:55:32 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Compressed vs uncompressed recordings (Read 3490 times)
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Compressed vs uncompressed recordings
08/01/21 at 16:19:11

Greetings all,

Thetanimal has a tread around here titled vinyl vs streaming, And that got me thinking about compressed vs streaming recording.

Some music like from iTune are (in)famously compressed to save bandwidth while older recordings and modern quality recordings avoid compression.

I understand  (somewhat) how compression works, but I wonder what are the opinions out there about compressed vs uncompressed in our type of systems.

As a side note, are there sites to stream or download HiFi uncompressed music from the Net and if download what is the preferred file format?

Cheers,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Quad mono 303 (x2) + 33 + FM3.
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Thorens TD160 MKII + SME III tonearm. Ortophon OM10.
Oppo CD/DVD.
Celestion Ditton 66 studio.
Lii F15 in Betsy type OB.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Compressed vs uncompressed recordings
Reply #1 - 08/01/21 at 17:43:13

My opinion: a lot of compression applied in mastering can really suck. Some of us with Decware systems are lucky that with "gain riding" we can sometimes alleviate this a bit and tube-rolling also can help.

I myself actually apply some of what I call "natural compression" in gain riding to add some density to the sound and tailor some treble response, to both vinyl and digital (I'm about 99 percent digital these days).

Compression is neither evil nor saintly--completely compression free recordings can sound flat and uninvolving, and heavily compressed recordings can sound HORRID. As in so many things application and use determine favorable results.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/01/21 at 22:05:53

I can’t think of any recording I’ve ever been involved with that did not employ some iteration of audio compression whether is was frequency band selected or overall bottom to top. It is vastly different from digital compression which is math and not musical at all and when used at extremes just disassembles the files until they have no life. I like to think of it as film vs dot matrix printing, when you zoom in on film you still see the image until you get to the very grains of the chemicals, do that to dot matrix and all you see is the medium between the dots of the image as empty space. So in my mind I think of the highest digital compression ratios as full of empty space when they are reconstituted into audio, at least with analog compression you still have the full audio just at a reduced dynamic range. It’s still very true that heavy handed engineers can really squash the sound into a big smear these days and that’s still not good.

IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/02/21 at 21:20:49

Hello EdwardT , Lon,

Thanks for the contributions.
Yes in my head I was thinking compression in the digital world used to save bandwidth and I believe reduce quality by reducing data.

The only analogy I can think of is a pure sine wave vs a square sine wave that is missing the 'curves'.

I am unfamiliar with the analog compression and will have to review it. I kind of remember it from some sound engineering courses  took wayyy back in the 80s.

Cheers,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/03/21 at 00:02:24

Maybe instead of the square wave think of the analog sine wave as a solid line and the digital sine wave a dotted line, the lower the bit rate the wider the distance between the dots. Or something like that.

IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/04/21 at 01:15:36

thx EdwardT, yes excellent way to explain it.

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print