Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 12:32:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My DIY made ZOB based on SEAS SEAS FA22RCZ driver. (Read 2501 times)
Piccaso
Verified Member

My DIY made ZOB based on SEAS SEAS FA22RCZ driver.
07/29/21 at 07:05:32

Finaly. my DIY hand made ZOB speakers are done. I was inspired by Kimpple, and made them with SEAS FA22RCZ driver. Efective cost, and parameters are very close to original Fostex driver.
The front panel is made of two MDF boards with a thickness of 22 mm, glued together. They have 1mm thick walnut veneer. The side walls are made with 25 thick MDF boards. The rest is made of standard HDF board with a thickness of 20 mm. I magnetically shaded the magnet on the driver speaker with an aluminum cover, of course so that the ventilation hole is still accessible, functional. It is, of course, also a design element. There are a few bugs in the original plans, but I managed to deal with them. At first I started without any mute on the speaker. The sound was incredibly open, airy, far more spacious than the room. The disadvantage was the very sharp, midrange-focused sound. On the one hand, I enjoyed microdetails, but I couldn't stand listening for a long time. First I tried damping 3db. It helped gently, but it wasn't permanent. And my Shanling A 2.1 amplifier is weaker at highs than on bass. So I put 6db damping in there, which remains for now. Personally, I would probably accept a damping of 4.5-5db minus. And not so high tones as midrange tones. Bass was now given strength and depth that I didn't even expect. Even trial electronic music has juice. In any case, these boxes are designed for jazz, acoustic, classical or ambient music. Not techno or heavy metal. And in conjunction with an electronic amplifier, they excel. On the other hand, the damping removed the microdetails as well as slightly narrowed the space. It's no longer the ZOB that played more space than my room. Even though it's still the open, accurate, extremely fast and invisible sound. Very similar to the original. The tonality and color of the sound is extremely close to reality. Poor quality recordings are immediately detected. As you can see in the photos, I glued the foam triangles to the back sliding plate. For better attenuation from resonances. The front plate is fastened with screws. Internal cabling using a coaxial Monster cable, 2.5 mm thick. The whole crates stand on conical tips made of brass.
I do not have the technical capacity to make an accurate measurement. What is the frequency response and the like. Sorry for that.
Even if you don't hear them, I hope you like them at least a little. Are you interested in them? I'm here ... although very far from the US.

mal_3.jpg
  IP Logged
Piccaso
Verified Member

Re: My DIY made ZOB based on SEAS SEAS FA22RCZ driver.
Reply #1 - 07/29/21 at 07:09:24

more picture

mal_4.jpg
  IP Logged
Piccaso
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 07/29/21 at 07:10:40

next one

mal_5.jpg
  IP Logged
Piccaso
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 07/29/21 at 07:13:40

next one

mal_6.jpg
  IP Logged
Piccaso
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 07/29/21 at 07:15:23

next one

mal_7.jpg
  IP Logged
Piccaso
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 07/29/21 at 07:17:28

next one

mal_9.jpg
  IP Logged
Piccaso
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 07/29/21 at 07:18:52

last one

mal_11.jpg
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #7 - 07/29/21 at 13:12:29

Wow! They are beautiful!!!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Piccaso
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 07/30/21 at 17:44:05

Thanks Geno... i did my best... :) And today i get happy. One of my member was on listening. He have some Herbert top model, for which he paid as second hand ower 3500€. And he said, that they are shit front of these one, Decware ZOB... :) I feel proud... :)

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #9 - 07/30/21 at 19:38:28

Concerning the midrange trouble that you hear, I went the route of using a Decware 'Gizmo' made for just that problem. They may be still available.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Piccaso
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 07/30/21 at 19:56:38

Thanks..i will check it. Btw, i have to look on the market in EU only.. :/ And as i have fast short reading about that  - it can touch freqencies 8KH to up, what mean, ower midrange... But be shure, is beter ask someone who have it, or here ask Steve, if Gizmo is right way for that...

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #11 - 07/31/21 at 00:30:11

Well,

I have owned a set of them for many years, and depending on the driver, it can make a big difference in the midrange.
I built a fine pair of ZOB speakers using various drivers including the FRX, AND the FRX2 and a few others. FWIW, the FRX and later the FRX2 both utilized the Gizmo. The FRX2 has a switch to choose the best sound for you.  Again it depends on the driver. Now that you have the information, you decide.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Piccaso
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 07/31/21 at 08:48:26

Hi 4krow. Thanks for the info and advices. I definitely agree, that each driver make huge differenices mostly in midrange and hights. And try any others, itīs about bill and possibility to find them on the market. Some models are already out of production. Some one is crazy expensive. And etc... But true is, that best way is try it by our self. Room, all parts from the system, and personal preferenices in sound, all is very individual. And what is best for one, is not good for other. Even, be close as possible to real natural sound, we will be in one point at all. Than, what it is personal preferencies.... Btw, first i will try leave them burn, for couple of weeks, and than or slow i will think, what i will try to do. In this case is very small change for me big. Use different DAC, different configuration in system and etc... One more time, thanks. BTW: when you use this GIZMO, how saw changed sound, how was touched highst and midrange, or generaly frequencie range/graph? Thnx...

IP Logged
Piccaso
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 08/16/21 at 07:44:01

Finaly, i made some "simple" and small modification. Itīs still open baffle, just/but... What ever i try or though or etc, if i wanted to "push" down this harsh midrange tones, i also lost microdetails and highest frequencies. For that i made a decision, add small tweeter. I didnīt changed anything on way from terminal to full range driver. Just i add tweeter, with 12db crossower at 6000Hz, mount him close as possible big driver. I use SB acustics textil dome tweeter, 90dB sensitive. Yes, on the market are beter drivers /also much more expensive/, but now iīm no OK with high investition. Before i made hole for him, i just try tweeter fixed with tape, how it change sound. Jus by my ears. And i was lucky - he extend highst and microdetails very softly, sound start be more opened and airy. Just sensitivity of the speakers fall down for 1dB. But itīs still acceptable i guess. Because i no have and software or harware for right and accurate measuring. i use just mobile with app. Microphone have limitation from 30hz to 17kHz. And he showed me now graph - 45Hz to 17kHz in tolerance +/-5db. Tweter run untill 22kHz, and my old broken ears canīt hear ower 14kHz... Sad Btw, now i can say, they are more balanced and sound is no just accurate and fast, but also silky and good for listening.... even some other can say oposite... Smiley

mal_14.jpg
  IP Logged
Piccaso
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 08/16/21 at 07:46:38

add

mal_12.jpg
  IP Logged
Piccaso
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 08/17/21 at 10:55:18

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #16 - 08/28/21 at 19:15:40

You can read about the Gizmo sold by Decware on the 'catalog' page. They do exactly what is described there. I don't have the knowledge to explain it better than the paper written about them. They were originally created for a Fostex driver to control midrange shout but will work on various speakers as well.

IP Logged
Piccaso
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 08/29/21 at 08:44:37

Thanks for add info. I have checked it, readed it. And also i searched  more info or words on the net or any forums. And honestly i have to say, it was half and half possitive&negative. Many people said, that gizmo donīt touch just middrange, but also highst and etc. And after that i was little bit afraid. If i can build it with my self, something simple just for a trial, low cost "gizmo", i will go for that. But i no have any scheme or which parameters must have all parts. And just pay for test ower 100bugs...hmmm... :/ Any way, thanks a lot for your help or advice.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print