Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 15:14:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Time for a Rachel Re-do? (Read 10021 times)
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Time for a Rachel Re-do?
07/22/21 at 10:24:36

As with the Zen amp, which nobody has yet to return, and now the Torii MK V, this amp, too, should be under revision.

The two things I did not like about this amp was the laid back input bias and the clipping before achieving higher volume.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Re: Time for a Rachel Re-do?
Reply #1 - 07/22/21 at 16:30:53

Rachel has been in the house for over eight years and is an end game for me.  Love this amp!

That said, lately I have had to increase the volume knob more than normal.. My thinking is that it might be time to stuff some new tubes in it.  This set has quite a few hours on em.  O r maybe it’s just me that needs new ears.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 07/22/21 at 18:21:18

Quote:
Posted by: Rivieraranch      Posted on: Today at 10:24:36

...The two things I did not like about this amp was the laid back input bias and the clipping before achieving higher volume.

Tweaking the input stage is one thing, but the only way to get more clean volume is more watts (or more efficient speakers) . JMO of course.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/23/21 at 00:26:28

And, to add to the above, does any body wish to advise me on a more powerful tube to give it a little more poop?

The EL34's in there have absolutely no markings on them. So???

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/23/21 at 11:41:45

Just get new power tubes. Try the 807 with adapters and see if you like them.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/24/21 at 00:12:34

Thanks RR, I will investigate that option.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/24/21 at 16:23:47

If your power tubes have no markings they could be Chinese, made in bulk for equipment manufacturers to brand.

55   IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #7 - 07/24/21 at 22:41:22

I would second the ''807 with adaptors'' comment. Really happy with ours and that set up. Let us know what you end up doing and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/25/21 at 11:58:56

Thanks Gentlemen, the hunt is on!

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/25/21 at 11:59:57

And, to add to the above, does any body wish to advise me on a more powerful tube to give it a little more poop?

DPC You meant "pop" I hope!

55   IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/25/21 at 14:34:41

OK Pop, I'm not the best with my descriptions.

Googling the 807's, Prices are very attractive.  I'm not much of a "tube roller" and would welcome any advise on reputable vendors.  Amazon has the adaptors.

Am looking forward to trying something new!

Dennis

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/25/21 at 19:23:59

Right or Wrong, I'm intrigued by the 807 tube.  Have been reading everything I can find on the subject.

Now,  the advise on where to get em.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/26/21 at 15:21:44

Was a good idea or so it seemed, gave up the quest.

IP Logged
Deep Structure
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 10/16/21 at 00:18:58

I found that 807 tubes sound the best in my Rachel. They also look nice with the large bottle shape. I get mine from The Tube Store in Canada. I got the adaptors from Ali Baba. The adaptors were of good quality and arrived quickly. But I did not like the fraudulent $1200 credit card charges that I assume was the act of the seller in China or someone else along the way.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/16/21 at 12:50:08

"Deep Structure", now that's a interesting name.  Makes me think.

Thanks for the tip on where to look for the 807's.

Last week I looked in my tube drawer and found a pair of Genalex Gold Lion KT88's.  Do not remember where I got them or when.  The boxes say "Cryoset certified" so they gotta be something special.

The data sheet for the SE34 says that you can use the KT88's so I replaced the EL34 tubes.  It could be that the EL34's were a bit tired or it's just me but the KT88's sure sound better to these ears.  The difference is not really huge just better.  Maybe I'll turn into a tube roller after all.

Dennis

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #15 - 10/16/21 at 16:09:53

Dennis- Looking at a couple of boxes of tubes that have appeared over the last many years, but I think I tried everything that Steve said I could in our Rachel. The EL34 the best until I got some adapters and tried some 807's. I have purchased 807's from RAM Audio Labs, Viva Tubes, Tubeman, and most recent from Mullard Magic across the pond. Glad the KT88's sounded better, that means that the EL34's were due for a change. The nice thing about Steve's designs is that there are a LOT of ways to fine tune your system with tubes and IMO the differences are subtle, but always there. Keep us posted on what you try and settle on, this forum is a awesome source of info. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 10/16/21 at 17:47:45

Hey Chris,
Thanks for your interest in my quest.  It really helps when someone who has been down this path offers help to the unwashed.

On your suggestions I just ordered a matched pair of 807/CV 124 Ferranti British Military tubes from Tube Man.  Ordered a pair of adaptors from Amazon.

I expect it will be a long wait as the adaptors come from China.

In the mean time I'm very happy listening to the KT88's.

Dennis

IP Logged
Deep Structure
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 10/16/21 at 19:21:58

Dennis,
I think you'll be happy with the 807s. I sure was. When you get them I hope you relate your experience with them particularly as compared to the KT 88s.

Don

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 10/16/21 at 19:59:09

Will do

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 10/16/21 at 20:46:59

The National Union 807's sound more old time radio. While the 1970s RCAs are somewhat bright.

55   IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 10/16/21 at 22:22:26

Thanks for the advise.  This is giving my savings account a work out.

IP Logged
drford
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 10/21/21 at 17:55:34

I have a pair of Brimar/Ferranti 807s and I really like them - I suspect they're from the same batch you purchased from Tube Man. Let us know how you like them.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 10/22/21 at 10:11:13

Fingers crossed, waiting for the postman.

IP Logged
drford
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 10/22/21 at 18:21:02

Same - have a couple of 7DJ8's arriving in tonight's mail... can't wait.

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #24 - 12/26/21 at 17:16:52

DPC- I was wondering if you rec'd your 807's and adapters? Get them broken in and what are your thoughts? We are just daily delighted with our system are really enjoying some down time this holiday season to just listen to music, watch some movies and relax. Although one goal this weekend is to sort through the three boxes of new, used and don't use'em any more tubes I have upstairs to clean up a corner. Post your findings on the tube when you get a chance and happy listening, Chris.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 12/28/21 at 22:07:16

To answer your question.  So far I have four sets of Russian EL34’s, one pair of Gold Lion KT88’s, one pair of Ferrari 807’s and a pair of NOS RCA 807’s.

I am fond of all of them.  The idea of the 807 tubes (with adaptors) got me thinking.  Found the TubeMan site and he was very helpful.  Pulled the trigger on both sets.

I had become quite happy with the Gold Lions but the 807’s please me even more.  The NOS RCA’s seem to be the better of the two types.

I think that anyone with a SE34 amp would be happy with giving the 807’s a try.  The RCA’s were only about $40.00 if I remember correctly.

Thanks everyone for their hellp.

Dennis

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 03/27/22 at 13:25:16

There are a good many 807s being offered for sale that are marked with European brands, even Service Master on the bottle which are Soviet made. The light gray internals and saucer getters give them away. Steer clear of these unless they are priced accordingly. The Soviet 807s are good and sound warm. They only last around a year.

55   IP Logged
BicycleJoe Lo-Fi
Seasoned Member

It's all in one
note, Just Listen

Reply #27 - 05/11/22 at 23:44:59

Well well? DPC It's been a while! Final thoughts.

"Once there was a note, pure and easy,playing so free like a breath rippling by,the note is eternal, I hear it, it sees me,forever we blend and forever we die".
  IP Logged
riknbkr330
Verified Member

Reply #28 - 05/15/22 at 01:30:26

Really enjoying the sound of 807s on my Rachael.  The music has an airier quality and the soundstage seems more open.

I was running some Amperex 6922s, but switched to Philips ECC88s, which really sound good.

The 807s replaced the stock EL34B Tung Sols that came with the amp.  I do have other backups, some Seimens as well as Teslas as backups. Those sound great as well.  

Main System:
Decware Rachael; Omega Monitor 7; Omega deep8 sub; Oppo BD-105>Zbit; Rega P5; Dynavector 20X2L;Parks Budgie SUT; Decware ZP3.
Second System: Creek Classic 5350SE; Rega RS1; Dual 1264; Musical Surroundings Phonomena II
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print