Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 14:33:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oh Sh**t moment ...PS Audio Power Plant 12 (Read 4908 times)
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Oh Sh**t moment ...PS Audio Power Plant 12
07/15/21 at 14:56:54

I have a PS Audio Power Plant 12 in my office at work. I have a Taboo, CSP3, Metrum Jade Dac and Ambre, a small sub, a small network switch and a MAC mini for Roon all connected to the power plant. I walked into to my office on Monday morning and turned on my equipment, device by device....nothing..no lights power etc. Checked the power plant and it seemed okay. The only connected devices that powered up was the MAC mini and the network switch, checked the power plant setting etc...all okay. So I called PS Audio and they answered immediately. (great customer support). They listened to my situation and immediately suggested that I plug one of the non-working devices directly into the wall power recept. and it still did not power up. Next they had me check the fuse, to my surprise every device had a blown fuse! I asked about the chances of that happening behind a power plant and PS Audio told me it happens frequently! I knew that the power plant was not designed as power protection device but thought that it would provide some level of protection against voltage spikes etc. We had storms on the previous day and they thought that might have been the culprit. The good news is that Decware builds great stuff and provides the protection, most high quality electronics are fused I guess, but if you are expecting protection from your power plant you need to re-think your plan. I'm still scratching my head because if the power plant re-generates the power why would it allow more voltage etc to the connected equipment? So now how can I protect my equipment from another power episode?

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Re: Oh Sh**t moment ...PS Audio Power Plant 12
Reply #1 - 07/15/21 at 15:21:47

Food for thought

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/15/21 at 15:36:10

Well that being the case, I wouldn't install expensive aftermarket fuses in your equipment. FWIW I try to unplug my PI Audio UberBUSS from the AC receptacles whenever we have Severe Thunderstorm warnings in the area. I just hate replacing SR orange fuses given their cost.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/15/21 at 16:22:07

What should you plug a power plant into instead? Would this be where a surge protector or similar device is used?  

As a follow up question: Decware''s Zen Line conditioner,  would it be subject to similar conditions? Should it also be plugged into something other than a wall socket?

I am still learning this seemingly vast subject of power generators, line    conditioners etc..........what I need/should be concerned about/consider.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 07/15/21 at 17:49:48

A power re-generator, like the PS Audio, is actually a large power amplifier.  It has a built-in frequency generator on the input set to 60 Hz.  The high current output of the amplifier puts out 120 volts at 60 Hz.  

Being an amplifier designer myself, it is a logical assumption that whatever happens on the input is going to be magnified by the output, so a small power spike has the potential to become amplified into a large power spike.  While I am certain the devices are designed with lots of circuitry to prevent such a problem, it obviously doesn't work well as evidence of all your components having blown fuses, but not the power regenerator itself.

The difference between the Zen Line Conditioner is that it de-couples you from the power grid with a giant toroidal transformer.  Also all spikes and noise are filtered out before the isolation from the transformer.  It is a 100% passive device with no electronics or active circuity to fail.  If there is a spike on the input it is largely blocked at the input, just as I'm sure it is on a power regenerator, the difference is that the toroidal transformer is not a power amplifier and therefor is not going to amplify small spikes into large ones.

The ZLC is a Zen approach to clean power with the only real goal of increasing liquidity and removing grain in the sound which is the result of noisy power. The fact that it also protects your equipment and offers a margin of safety is just a bonus. A power regenerator is the exact opposite of a Zen approach, favoring great complexity that not only employs all the components of a fully working amplifier, but a computer and likely firmware as well.

In theory, a perfect working regenerator that is properly sized for the load, should work as well or better than the ZLC, but in the real world, I doubt that is often the case and if you want to see which one lasts longer, just look at the warranty.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 07/15/21 at 18:29:23

Sorry to hear about the P12 and the fuses blowing on all the devices connected. That seems an unusal result in my experience--whenever there has been a surge that interrupts power to my component my PS Audio regenerators first shut down and has never blown a fuse on them--the connected components have been protected. I use a Power Plant Premier in a system (which I also use a ZLC in), a P10 and a P15 in two other systems. Hopefully this never happens again!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/15/21 at 19:13:56

When I had a P3 if there was an over or under voltage situation it would go into protect mode. It would trigger on a weekly basis. That's different from an electrical storm spike. I was in the Philippines and the power grid there wasn't great.

I now use a brick wall https://www.brickwall.com/ to protect my equipment. Lighting will be more frequent and more intense in the next decade, so a good investment.

I'm waiting on KCC scientific 1000w regenerator to be released.

I've been tempted by the DECWARE ZLC. If the wait wasn't so long I most likely would have one already.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/15/21 at 20:16:27

Thanks to everyone for their input. At home I have a PS 15 that most of my main system is connected to. I also have a ZLC that my turntable etc is connected to. Maybe I should connect the PS15 to the ZLC as well. Thanks again for the insight.
Malcolm

LHY SW10}HiFi Rose 130RS}Holo Audio May KTE}Decware Sarah #003}Spatial Audio X5's
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #8 - 07/17/21 at 04:50:51

Sorry, I was a little dark on the power regeneration, but it's my nature.  This has been haunting me for a long time, and if I just had some -- (time) -- one thing I have wanted to pursue for a very very very long time, is an actual power generator.  Not a regenerator, an actually mechanical analogue generator.

Since I probably won't get lucky enough to have time to make one, I am going to put the idea in the collective consciousness right now. This in past trials has always resulted in the idea manifesting somewhere else and costing you nothing. Of course it makes you nothing as well, but it nevertheless happens.

What audiophiles need is a cast flywheel with precision bearings fixed with magnets and red copper oxygen free copper coils (or silver) designed to create the perfect mechanical sine wave like a giant turntable.  It has to be heavy and large to be silent.  It can be powered by a belt and a precision motor.

This device could in theory create a perfectly honed sine wave at 50/60 cycles or whatever you want, without a single solid state component, computer, or over-engineered process to eventually fail and drive sales of new and improved.

And you can only imagine how say a bronze cast and polished wheel that was around 20 inches in diameter and a few hundred pounds would look silently spinning in the background while it powers all of your stereo gear...  it's mechanical precision is what would determine the resolution of the sine wave so think of it as a giant Swiss watch

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Stefan
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/17/21 at 19:07:39

That is a fantastic idea Steve!
Hopefully someone more mechanically inclined than me picks it up and makes it a reality! Would look really cool with a glass plate so you could see the wheel spinning...

- Stefan
---------------------
Rega rp6, Lounge Audio phono pre-amp, Lonely Raven PC, T+A DAC 8 DSD, ZBIT, ZROCK2+25th, SE84UFO25, Torii IV, Denon AVC-1SE, Infinity IRS Beta, Tannoy Cheviot, ERRx, Tiny Radials, Woo WA-3, Sennheiser HD800S
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #10 - 07/18/21 at 05:28:11

Steve,
When I first read your post, I misunderstood what you meant by a power generator. I thought, Good Lord he will need 40 acres to keep that engine far enough from being heard in the listening room. Then I realized that you are taking an electric motor to drive an AC generator. Now that is separation! I envisioned it to be in the basement spinning away with a bank of outlets to supply needed AC to components. I like it, I really do.
The PS P300 that I have is different than the current models that PS Audio sells. And of course, it has been hot rodded. First of all, it supplies balanced power. Second, if I got this right, it takes AC, converts it to DC, where it is then regenerated and amplified for component use. Yah, I know, that is what they say about the newer models, but my experience with them is a lot of down time.
I do agree that a large toroid transformer that develops balanced power for it's secondaries is the right approach, and years ago I bought an 80 lb. BPT model that also has separate secondary windings for 6 sets of outlets. I will never sell it because like you said it is simple effective and will last a very long time.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #11 - 07/18/21 at 13:16:32

The flywheel concept is currently used in some "UPS" applications.

The flywheel spins a generator to maintain power after an interruption until a generator can come on line and perform an in phase transition.

Caterpillar does a demo at one of their plants where they kill the utility and the entire plant never skips a beat.

There was even chatter about driving the flywheel with an air turbine being spun by compressed air in a storage tank to extend the time for transition to generator run and transition.

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #12 - 07/18/21 at 18:19:40

A friend of mine just offered a medical grade 900VA isolation transformer this morning. I can only imagine finding a heavy duty enough chassis to house it. Very tempting though. Maybe I can use it as a record weight. Grin

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
mperdue63
Seasoned Member

Re: Oh Sh**t moment ...PS Audio Power Plant 12 :update
Reply #13 - 08/05/21 at 02:47:26

Update to my original post. The following was copied directly from the PS Audio web page tonight!
Not my experience at all!
YMMV

An electrical surge, or spiked transient, is an intense, short-duration voltage increase that travels through electrical wiring in our homes. It can severely damage connected equipment. Shielding devices from these potential electrical problems is mandatory if we're to protect our investment and ensure the safety of our homes. These electrical transients are not the only potentially damaging problems faced by our sensitive audio systems. There are also sustained over-voltage conditions that many surge suppression devices will not be able to protect equipment from. Owners who have invested in a Power Plant can rest assured their connected equipment will be safe from any power line event such as over voltage, under voltage, surges, spikes and potentially threatening problems. The input voltage to the Power Plant is fully protected by state-of-the-art clamping devices and the output of the Power Plant is fully regulated so even large voltage swings that would normally damage connected equipment are made safe by either clamping or regulating. In most cases, connected equipment enjoys the protection and performance benefits of fully regulated power, even under extreme circumstances.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print