03/28/24 at 13:04:38 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Innuos Users? (Read 10197 times)
Mike Hughes
Verified Member

Innuos Users?
07/10/21 at 23:05:57

Any other Innuos users on here? I’ve had a Zenith Mk. 3 since December. Connected through USB to a Chord Hugo TT2. Quite a contrast between the two. Former is a masterpiece of understatement which invariably “just works”. Latter is downright ugly and has the worst user interface of any device playing music I’ve ever owned. Both sound great.

Innuos have finally released their 2.0 OS and Sense app. A lot of Roon owners squirming. The search is fabulous. Qobuz and Tidal integration with more to come. Most surprising has been the uplift in sound quality, essentially through a significant drop in the noise floor. Finally feels like I’m getting what it’s capable of.  

The streamer/server is neutral, maybe edging slightly to the warmer side of things. Find myself wondering when I’m going to hear something I don’t like.

Any other users here?

IP Logged
Mike Hughes
Verified Member

Re: Innuos Users?
Reply #1 - 07/16/21 at 23:28:14

I’ll take that as a no then Smiley

IP Logged
OKNOTOK
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 09/02/21 at 09:33:43

Hi Mike,

I am with you on this one - I also have the Zenith MK3 and love it too. My ears are not so great anymore and I don't have a Zen amp yet so I don't hear much difference between Roon and Innuos 2.0 but I like (it a lot) what I'm hearing. I am using an ECDesigns PowerDAC or an older Metrum HEX DAC (with a Denafrips Hermes in between) and Elekit tube amps. The PowerDac has a low output and plays nice with tube amps.

Have you experiment with the HQPlayer on the Zenith? I am trying to figure out if this is worth doing. What kind of USB cable do you use as that would be my next upgrade?

Best regards,
Richard.

IP Logged
Mike Hughes
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 09/02/21 at 09:51:10

Hi Richard,

Woo. Not alone.

My Zenith 3 currently goes via Chord Epic into a Chord Hugo TT2 DAC. Signed up for it as it was part of the demo which convinced me to buy the Zenith. It’s an unneeded 2m run as the dealer had no 1m in at the time. They very kindly charged me the 1m price for the 2m run which saved a decent amount of money. I can’t really comment on how much better or not it is than stock USB as I’ve done no comparisons.

The Chord DAC is incredibly ugly and has a dreadful user interface but musically it does the job. Given my time again I’d have gone for a Denafrips Terminator but I’m not unhappy with where I am. Just need to get an amp which better matches my Zu speakers, which is of course why I’m here as Decware anniversary or similar is very much near the top of my shortlist.

You’re using the Innuos with valves. Any issues? Are you looking at moving to Decware too? Any particular reason?

Have to say I tried Roon experimental mode with my Zenith prior to 2 and wasn’t as impressed as I apparently ought to have been. Both sound quality and interface were not as I was used to believe. Experimental mode was better than 1.4.7 but not night and day. The difference with 2.0.5 was for me a huge leap. Massive drop in the noise floor.

Have read about people using HQPlayer but not really got my head around why agd I was under the impression it was more for where there was a PC in the chain, which I don’t have.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/02/21 at 14:19:18

My ZENith MK3 shipped from Portugal today/yesterday. I'm making a hard push to get my streaming to sound better than CDs.

Right now my Roon + HQPlayer computer is connected via fiber to a fiber to ethernet converter that feeds my Sonore MicroRendu. I have a Teddy Pardo power supply powering the media converter (fiber to ethernet) and the Rendu.

I have a Final Touch Audio Callisto USB cable on the way. It should be arriving today or tomorrow. When I get back from DECFEST, I hopefully will have tester of a new USB cable that is coming to market.

I made an expensive impulse buy and bought a used Innuos PhoenixUSB that I put into the system 2 days ago.

I'll give an update after I get it all setup.

I started to rant about why I don't like Roon and decided against it.

I'm really looking forward to the ZENith MK3. I'm looking forward to the SQ increase along with a simple responsive user interface.

The crazy thing is, No matter what source I use on my system it sounds so incredible! It's an awe inspiring experience. I just have to laugh at how crazy I am that it sounds this good and I still look for ways for it to sound better. BTW, all audiophiles are crazy, some of us just lean into more than others.

Any tips for a new Innuos owner? I looked for a manual and didn't find one online.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/02/21 at 14:28:46

Richard, Welcome to the forums. Hope you continue to contribute.

Are you in the market for a ZEN amp?

If you are talking about running HQP on the Innuos and using the Innuos 2.0 software I'm not sure if that would behoove you. The extra processing that the server will need to do might have a negative on SQ. If you set the Innuos up as a NAA endpoint that might be better, however then you lose the whole point of having a custom designed server.

I don't use HQPlayer to upsample. I use it as a pass through because it elevates the SQ I get when using Roon. into the MAY KTE I didn't get any desirable changed with up sampling. I suspect the MicroRendu is the weak link, that might be why I'm not getting the benefits others get. I tried PGGB I found it to collapse the sound stage. Conversing with the creator I mentioned I suspected my Rendu, he said that it could be very possible because most people experienced the opposite from me.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
Mike Hughes
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 09/02/21 at 14:38:53

Manual not really needed @groovysauce.

The app remains buggy but as a whole it’s self-evident how you set a Zenith up.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/03/21 at 15:33:11

I'm confident in getting setup and running. I'm looking for things like turning off iPeng to increase SQ.

IP Logged
Thermionic
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 09/03/21 at 18:58:44

Well, I have a Zenith Mk II and a Phoenix Reclocker.  Running WW PS7 USB between them  The OS 2.05 is a revelation.  With  [smiley=tunes29.gif]the reclocker the combination approaches a Statement and to my ears equals the SE, which is no more.  Good level of detail and slightly warm sounding.  Never got into Roon so no comments.  The OS 2.0.5 does not have me wanting Roon any time soon.  

Smiley

SE84UFO anniversary mods, Coda 02b, Sim Audio LP310, Linn LP 12, Metrum Onyx, MAC mini, PAP Trio15 Classic PiFe, OPPO 103, PSA P15 regen, various cables, many LPs
  IP Logged
Mike Hughes
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 09/03/21 at 19:02:05

Good to see a few Innuos owners making themselves known. I’m planning on the Phoenix reclocker as soon as I’ve sorted the amp.

IP Logged
Thermionic
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 09/03/21 at 19:06:15

M experience with all things Decware and the Forum is it is a very limited community, with Forum responses going unanswered.  Not a complaint, just an observation.  I had reached out for peoples experience with the Li Silver Reference, which I had heard and was seeking owner opinions.  No response, which was telling.  My take away was not a big seller.  I took a pass and went with PAP speakers, happy camper.

Smiley

SE84UFO anniversary mods, Coda 02b, Sim Audio LP310, Linn LP 12, Metrum Onyx, MAC mini, PAP Trio15 Classic PiFe, OPPO 103, PSA P15 regen, various cables, many LPs
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 09/03/21 at 20:11:37

I'm still waiting on my ZENith MK3, estimated on the 7th now. I did get the PhoenixUSB in the system. I'm not that impressed with it.

The Final Touch Audio USB cable made a larger difference than the Phoenix. Next month I'll have another USB cable. I'll get to see if the bottle neck is the Curious Evolved or the Shunyata Venom.

The power cable going into the Phoenix does change the sound a bit.

With the Holo MAY KTE, turning off the PLL with the Phoenix does bring another level of improvement. Once I get the ZENith and another USB cable I'll have a much better idea of how the Phoenix works in my system.

Thermionic, Got your PAP speakers? how's the break in coming along? Enjoying? After 200-250 hours put some ear protection on and play them loud with some bass heavy music. should really help. Make sure not to clip or distort. Tongue  It took a lot of play time and a few really loud play sessions to bring out the magic.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 09/03/21 at 20:22:04

It is a smaller community than the PS Audio for example, which makes sense as it's a smaller company! And there are a number of owners who never post here.

I think the Silver Reference has been a successful enough speaker but with shipment from China being rather lengthy I imagine not as many pairs make it into buyer's hands as pre-pandemic or if there's ever a post-pandemic period. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
OKNOTOK
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 09/05/21 at 12:02:40

Hi Mike, GroovySauce, thank you for having me onboard.

[Are you in the market for a ZEN amp?]

Yes, I am on the waiting list for a 25th Anniversary amp-combo, really looking forward to power it on myself some time in the future and hearing what the magic is about. I'll try to post more about my journey along the way.

[You’re using the Innuos with valves. Any issues? Are you looking at moving to Decware too? Any particular reason?]

No issues at all between the Innuos and my tube amps, a lot depends on the DAC of course, but to me there is good synergy considering they are at opposite ends (digital & streamer vs tubes/valves amp) of audio equipment. Last year I decided to step up my tube amps and after a long search ended up at Decware, mostly since these have different tubes in the power and audio signal sections - it's just more intriguing to look at and play with when I desire. I am already used to low wattage output amps and that makes it easier to choose any Decware amplifier.

[I have a Final Touch Audio Callisto USB cable on the way.] [Next month I'll have another USB cable.]

Thank you for introducing Final Touch Audio to me. At this price point there are many worthy contenders. With the PhoenixUSB in the middle which side was more important/sounded better to you? I see you appreciated the FTA above the Curious cable which is also on my shortlist – can you elaborate?

[I started to rant about why I don't like Roon and decided against it.]

I just use Roon when I am exploring music and when the system plays in the background during my workday, it just keeps playing and sometimes it gives me new music that I enjoy and that is priceless. For serious listing and when playing my ripped CD's I switch back to Innuos w/Qobuz as it just feels better/less cluttered to do so.

[Any tips for a new Innuos owner?]

I am using Qobuz to keep track of my online music as I am using it also on my phone/car or laptop on the way. Roon is better integrated with Qobuz then Innuos, when you're missing out on favorites/playlists you have to manually sync Innuos with Qobuz (in the Qobuz > settings menu).  I don't use Tidal so no comment on that.

And like Mike stated it is all very straightforward - setting it up is simple and there are no challenging options (besides switching between Roon and Innuos). When you rip CD's you can store them in WAV or FLAC but to my ears there is no difference and I use FLAC as the files are smaller. Roon has some options but none that seem to matter to my DAC. For assistance you can look on the Innuos website or contact their support, they friendly explained to my why I could not use an SSD in their Zen players.

[Thermionic, Got your PAP speakers?]

PAP as in Pure Audio Project? They also offer a Voxativ full range driver I am interested in - which drivers did you choose and how do they play?

[It is a smaller community than the PS Audio for example, which makes sense as it's a smaller company!]

Yes and compared to other smaller companies it is surprising that Decware even has an active Forum with new posts every day and where we can meet the owner when he is not too busy building amps. And regardless of our limited numbers the members are putting in an effort to support each other when they can and share the fun for this hobby.

Brgds,
Richard.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 09/05/21 at 13:54:08

Richard,

What speakers are you going to drive with the 25th?

The FTA Callisto USB cable made a bigger difference vs the Innuos PhoenixUSB in my system.

The Callisto is in another league vs the Curious Evolved. What I really enjoyed about the original Curious cable was the sense of space and air it provided. The Evolved added a little more body. The FTA Callisto kept the space and air, it also brought a weight and body to the music that made it much more tangible. The layering front to back is more distinct. The tone is also better.

I would still recommend the Curious cable as it’s around half the price of the FTA Callisto. I haven’t tried it, the Lush^3 is another cable that gets a lot of positive mentions.

I’m still playing around with the PhoenixUSB, I do think it’s an improvement. At the retail price, even the used price it’s heavily into the diminishing returns category. Once I get my ZENith in the system I’ll do some tough evaluations to see if I’m going to keep it or not. It could also be the Curious Evolved holding it back too as right now I have the FTA Calliso, Curious Evolved, and Shunyata Venom cables and the FTA is the champ. The other cables might be bottle necking the true performance of the Phoenix.

The Phoenix did respond well to power cables and adding an Alan Maher Designs Harmony fuse.

I’ll report back once I have a better handle on it.

I purchased Roon lifetime a few years ago so I can still use it. As of right now I’m planning on connecting Roon via toslink to my DAC so I can switch back to it quickly if I want to.

Yes Pure Audio Project. I have the 1.6 Voxativ. The 1.6 created a much more holographic presentation. It also pulled me into the music more than the Horn1.

I prefer quality over quantity when it comes to many things, this forum included.

IP Logged
Thermionic
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 09/05/21 at 19:37:58

Regarding my PAP Trio15 Classics.  Still breaking in with 300+ hours of continuous play.  I'd say they are pretty close to being broken in.  I have been driving them with solid state for the break in so no critical comments to date other than they have opened up considerably, and sound as if there is no speaker in the room.  Basically they do not call attention to themselves.   The 15 Eminence woofers have loosened up quite a bit, and at this point I am not certain if they are completely broken in.  Slightly wooly sounding on some bass lines.  I may need to work with room placement.  Currently they are 30-36 inches from the wall and toed in about 30 degrees.  Separation is about 8 feet and I sit near field at 8 feet from the plane of the speakers.  I must say piano and vocals do sound better than anticipated at this point.  I do have the upgraded Mundorf EVO Silver Gold Oil caps, and Mundorf upgraded resistors.  No graininess to the sound, and at 300 hours I believe I am close.  The full range driver is the Voxativ PiFe, worth the extra coin to these ears.  Did I say the midrange is magnificent.

Regarding the Li Silver Reference speakers I put them in the possibly category based on brief audition.  I investigated them for market penetration, and had a difficult time identifying any US owner.  I did find one in San Francisco who let them go for $1200.  My concern was if I was unhappy with them for the long term was there a credible resale market in the US.  I could not locate them and took a pass partly based on my perception that a healthy resale market did not exist.  I considered that people love them so much they do not sell them, but keep them.  I was unsuccessful in identifying anyone who had actually purchased a pair.  So I moved on.  Really nothing to do with shipping delays from China, more to do with the look, the colored sound, and low resale potential.  Others may have different experience, If so I could no identify any one with that experience.  YMMV.

Regarding the Curious and Curious Evolved cables, I tried them both and was unimpressed.  Highs were good but emphasized, they also lacked weight, body and depth to my ears.  A non-starter.  I use and enjoy WireWorld Platinum Starlight 7 USB cables and am very happy with those, having no reason to change.

Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 09/05/21 at 19:56:16

Thermionic wrote on 09/05/21 at 19:37:58:
Regarding the Li Silver Reference speakers I put them in the possibly category based on brief audition.  I investigated them for market penetration, and had a difficult time identifying any US owner.  I did find one in San Francisco who let them go for $1200.  My concern was if I was unhappy with them for the long term was there a credible resale market in the US.  I could not locate them and took a pass partly based on my perception that a healthy resale market did not exist.  I considered that people love them so much they do not sell them, but keep them.  I was unsuccessful in identifying anyone who had actually purchased a pair.  So I moved on.  Really nothing to do with shipping delays from China, more to do with the look, the colored sound, and low resale potential.  Others may have different experience, If so I could no identify any one with that experience.  YMMV.

You may be right about the "Lil Audio" Silver Reference speaker. I did note that even before the pandemic on their page they said it would take about ten weeks after an order to recieve a pair: two to build, two to ship and six for customs clearance! (I think they did set up a US warehouse since but the pandemic hit and did cause and does cause extensive shipping delays still according to all I can read and what I hear from vendors--can't tell how much that may have deterred some sales, I'm sure the even longer wait deters some for Decware speakers and amps.)
My experience has been taking a leap of faith, as educated as possible as you did with the Trio. I've done that with Decware products and not been disappointed and just kept on doing that. Now--thank the universe--I'm set and don't have to make these sort of decisions again.

Glad the Trio are sounding so good! If I had a different house and a different spouse I might consider such a speaker and presentation. Luckily my HR-1 pairs are so darned satisfying with my amps.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Thermionic
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 09/05/21 at 20:28:30

When I discussed the possibility of Lii Silver Reference delivery with the Lii staff they had speakers available and were offering to the door delivery within 6 weeks.  That was in mid-May.  As I knew the delivery for a SE84UFO25 was some ways down the road I was in no hurry.  I continued looking and identified options more aligned with my listening taste and aesthetic.  I am listening to Craig Harris and the Tailgaters Tales  Shelter.  It is a little al over the place, but still a fun listen.  Sounding pretty darn incredible, and that's with a basic no frills solid state amp driving the PAPs.

I wanted to go for the Lii, as the price difference is rather noticeable, but long term I am very happy with where I landed.  Very happy.

Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 09/05/21 at 20:53:12

Cool! That is what it is all about, being happy with one's system. That's where I am and there is not enough time in a day or week to listen as much as I'd like to! Which is a great thing. . . I keep looking forward with excitement to a listening session.

I'm eager to hear your impressions of the Trio with the Zen amp. . . and then later with the Anniversary Zen!

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 09/10/21 at 12:44:40

Got my Innuos ZENith mk3 yesterday. Cold out of the box I really enjoyed what I was hearing. After a little playing around I have the Callisto USB between the ZENith and MAY KTE. When I get a second USB cable that is better than my other cables I’ll try adding the Phoenix back in.

The software is very fast! using the iOS or web interface is responsive and easy. There are a few things that are a bit frustrating. Multiple times I've accidentally cleared my entire play queue with no way to retrieve it. They have been taking customer feedback and implementing it. In a few days I’m going to write in to Innuos with my suggestions for quality of life.

The CD ripper works well and is also easy peasy put in a CD and away it goes! It will find the album cover and add all the meta data. I loaded a few indy music CDs and it did a good job finding the data. 1 album it got the wrong album art, 3 mouse clicks later it had a selection of 10+ album covers 6 of which were the correct one. 1 multi disc set I needed to do a quick edit of the meta data which was straight forward.

Copying my already ripped CDs and downloads was straight forward and easy to do.

Overall the software is responsive and easy to navigate. There are a few things that bother me, I’m optimistic they will be addressed in future updates. They just released the 2.0 a few months ago.

The reason I wanted to get a new streamer / server is CD playback with Jay’s Audio CDT MK3 sounded significantly better than Roon + HQPlayer + Sonore MicroRendu. Now I’m 95% sure I’m going to put the Jay’s up for sale.

Thermionic, seems like the PAP speakers are starting to settle in. I strongly urge you to take a few LOUD listening sessions 30-45 minutes, wear ear plugs or leave the room loud. It will really help the woofers settle and sound their best. I'm also looking forward to your impressions of the speakers with the ZEN amp.

IP Logged
Mike Hughes
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 09/10/21 at 17:39:11

No need to write to Innuos. You can log a fault or suggestion through the Sense app/2.0.5.

However, you may want to hold fire as 2.0.6 is out Monday afternoon with various bug fixes. Nuno doesn’t tend to shout about sound quality improvements as they’re both subjective and of course vary according to your set up. However if 2.0.6 is like 2.0 or 2.0.5 then we have another treat in store.

The Phoenix is designed to work with Zenith level boxes and below. It works with other manufacturers but the consensus is that with a Zenith the impact is not subtle. If you don’t hear that then I’d talk to Innuos as something is awry.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 09/10/21 at 18:31:09

I shot off an email this morning. I guess I'll look forward to Monday for the update Smiley

I bought the Phoenix second hand so not sure what kind of support I can get.

Maybe the Holo MAY KTE DAC works in a way that USB reclockers are not drastic changes. I read a lot of rave reviews on forums about it. I prefer ZENith -> FTA Calliso USB -> MAY more than with the Phoenix. I'm going to be out of town for 2.5 weeks, when I'm back I should have another USB cable to try and see if the lesser USB cables are holding it back. The AQ Carbon and Shunyata Venom, are inferior the FTA. My Curious Evolved cable is .2m as such it's too short to try the Phoenix.

The Phoenix seems to be a blending between the two cables in use. It did bring a few things to the table that give me hope that upgrading the weak link will be a multiplicative upgrade.

IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #22 - 09/13/21 at 04:16:01

Zenith MK3>NordstTyr 2 USB >Matrix SPIDF2 > Wireworld silver starlight8 SPDIF > Lampizator Amber 3 > Vinnie Rossie L2iSE > Klipsch K-horns or Omega super 6 Alnico.
Added the Matrix DDC after the last update And turned off Squeezebox, went with ROON RAAT and the depth and height increased in the system. It was a very pleasant treat. I thought about the FTA Callisto cable but i feel i get very nice blackness from the NORDST, good weight to the system too so i don’t want to mess with it.

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 10/29/21 at 16:09:31

I've been out of town for a few weeks so my system sat cold (unplugged) for most of this month.

I've noticed this before and confirmed it again coming back. It takes my system 2-3 days to really start to shine again. I was gone for 2+ weeks and when I came back it sounded good however, it lacked the magic. Most notably the enveloping sound stage. 4th day it comes back strong! I then left for another 1 week, again came back and took until the 4th day to really be magical again.

I'm really enjoying the ZENith MK3 and the Sense2.0 software. I'm currently running 2.0.7 I have no desire to go back to Roon or try running the ZENith as a Roon endpoint or server.

I do miss Roon Radio a little. If I really want it I can setup to have Roon work via Optical so if I want some back ground music or want to discover new music I can do that. I have yet to do that though.

The time I have been home the ZENith has been playing music 24/7 even with all that time it doesn't have 1000 hours on it yet.

I did have the Innuos PhoenixUSB hooked up and did have 2 new USB cables for it. After getting 200+ hours on the USB cables and hearing them really open up I decided the PhoenixUSB wasn't for me. It did sound different than ZENith -> Holo May, better? I not really did some things I liked, it also brought a little bit of a "hifi" sound with it that I didn't like. I found the Phoenix to sound different with both power cables and USB cables.  I would have liked to try it with different DACs to see how it performed. by the time I got the PhoenixUSB a nice PC and USB cable it was so much money for such a modest change in sound it wasn't for my system. If I had unlimited funds I would keep it and play around with power cables, USB cables and fuses to see if I could get it to really maximize my system. If I had unlimited funds I would have gone for the Innuos Statement  ;D

I sold the PhoenixUSB to someone with a SOtM USB-tx. He just received it, I'm looking forward to his report on the changes to his system.

Nick, I didn't have good results with my Matrix X-Spdif2 I took it out and am going straight from the ZENith to the Holo May. I still thing the X-Spdif2 is a great product and keep finding uses for it.

If you found a combo that works for you don't touch it!

IP Logged
Mike Hughes
Verified Member

Reply #24 - 10/29/21 at 19:15:00

As sources go this is probably the most music I have played in the past 30 years of being interested in hi-fi. I am torn in terms of amp upgrades. Decware or Ampsandsounds but equally I’m not in a rush as things are still so enjoyable at present.

Seeing as how I’m using a cheap wireless bridge my next upgrade may be the PhoenixNET but… all in good time.

Can’t say I was ever a fan of Roon. In terms of music dyscivery I prefer to read but being able to read and then flick to Qobuz or Tidal to find what I’ve just been reading about is a joy, as is listening to stuff on radio and being able to instantly find it on Qobuz.

IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #25 - 08/01/22 at 03:28:04

I finally tried the Sense 2.0 software and stopped using my ZENith mk3 as a ROON core.
The Sense software allows for an increase in detail. It is a sizable difference in sound quality as far as detail retrieval with my current DAC.

I’m building a custom ROON core to compare the software SQ quality next. I want to know if i can keep the current SQ using ROON on a dedicated server or if the Sense 2.0 on the Zenith is so good that ROON simply can’t compare. I have proven to myself that the Zenith does not operate at it’s best as a ROON core, this topic is no longer a question. It’s not terrible but so very much detail available in the music is lost. The sound is subdued enough that when i first experienced the difference it really surprised me. Sometimes you just need to experience something for yourself to believe/understand it.

Next, i have played with 3 different DDC’s this past year; SoTM, Matrix-XSPDIF 2 and Singer SU-6.  With my current Innuos-Lampizator combo the SoTM and Matrix both restrict the soundstage and shrink it more than i like, the background  gets blacker, details stay crisp and depth stays very distinct but the shrinking soundstage is enough for me to not like the combo’s.
The Singer SU-6 does not affect the soundstage BUT the system losses bottom end grunt and a good percentage of “richness”, it leans out in a nice way but all the wonderful extra’s the FTA Callisto USB brought to the mix are negated.

My personal preference currently is Innuos running Sense 2.0, feeding my DAC directly via FTA Callisto USB w/ NO DDC in line. I don’t mind losing some background blackness and extra separation in order to maintain a richer fuller SQ with the increase in detail the software change made. I can highly recommend an FTA Callisto USB to anyone using a Lampizator  Baltic3, this particular usb brings out really wonderful bottom end heft that in turn leads to a “richer” sound signature. It works well for me in my space.

I look forward to trying the new ROON core in a month or so. I will then make the determination to keep ROON or not. I am working with Innuos to figure out what options i have to use the sense 2.0 across the rest of my systems by trying to configure my other streamers as UpNP endpoints.  Plenty enough work to keep me occupied for many months figuring out differences and options for myself.

Happy listening to all.

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
Mike Hughes
Verified Member

Reply #26 - 08/02/22 at 21:18:51

An interesting read thank you. I’m a little surprised though. The general consensus is that no-one has gotten Roon to deliver more than Sense on any of the series.

IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #27 - 09/25/22 at 20:44:00

Might as well put some updated thoughts to this thread. For many weeks now I have been experimenting w/ Innuos Sense 2.0 software on my ZENith MK3 vs using the server w/ ROON.

1.) The Sense 2.0 simply works best on the ZENith mk3, Sound Quality, to my ear, by tiny fractions of improvement in clarity, detail, and separation, when I am doing my part in a critical listening session continually pleases me. If I had only 1 system, w/ all my files/CD's saved to the Zenith mk3 hard drive and was using a paid streaming service like Quoboz or Tidal I would leave it alone and be happy. The support, service, and performance of the Innuos product are top notch and I feel extremely satisfied w/ what my money/$$$ gets me. If you were on the fence about Innuos streamers, especially since they primarily focus on a USB output (there is a multi-output option on the new series on 1 unit, at least from their advertising) I would not hesitate to build a system around their equipment and software.

2.) Innuos server using ROON as an endpoint option. My initial impressions of the NEW ROON 2.0 are positive, in blind A/B testing my own listening skills are such that I do not feel confident in being able to identify if my system were operating on Sense or ROON after the newest update. For weeks now knowing I was using Sense or ROON I felt I could hear small improvements in my system using the Sense 2.0, now that ROON 2.0 is out and installed on my system I am NOT sure if I am duplicating the same results. Thus if for no other reason than the extra convenience, easy multi room and on the go features and incredible interface ROON offers I cannot complain currently about any shortfalls of ROON software SQ.

3.) Innuos streamer used as a ROON core. The sound quality takes a hit, we have veil of details and a certain thickness in the lower midrange and bass regions that caused me for a long time to work on my suystem not realizing the problem was my streamer software service combo. I would not recommend using your innuos equipment as a ROON core unless you are actively looking for a more muted and veiled sound signature that is thick in the lower mids and bass in order to complement your equipment or preferred sound preferences.

Sorry for the long post, just capturing the info here best I can based on my experiences. YMMV -Happy Listening.

IP Logged
Mike Hughes
Verified Member

Reply #28 - 09/25/22 at 22:17:48

Still loving my Zenith 3 and have abandoned thoughts of a Decware amp to bring my Zu to life now the little Enleum has appeared and this forum is so quiet I can’t get answers to simple questions. Zero inclination to even try Roon again as Sense does all I need.

IP Logged
Ahb3u
Verified Member

Reply #29 - 09/26/22 at 13:41:28

Hi Mike
With the zu superfly sensitivity at 101 dB, a zen se84ufo will have no problem playing loudly enough in your 12 x 15 room.  The impedance is no issue.  You could short the speaker wires and the amp would be fine, so current delivery is superb with the usual output transformers.

I made the switch from zenith se > oppo 205 Modwright modified > modwright 200 integrated amp > Wilson Duettes in a 22 x28 room.  The sound was good but not holographic.   So, I made the change to se 84 ufo 25 with high efficiency speakers in a smaller room (15 x16).  With some diffusers behind the speakers I have a 3D soundstage and sound that blows away the old solid state nice amp.

I am like your family with regards to eclectic tastes, enjoying it all!  Minor Threat recordings suck but it doesn’t matter!  

I also think sense sounds better than Roon, but Roon may be catching up with their recent update!

Go for the se84ufo25!

Andy

EtherRegen/AfterDark Double Emperor clock> Innuos Zenith SE> Phoenix USB reclocker>Modwright Oppo205 and TD125>VosneRomanee>SE84ufo25> Caintuck Magnum Lii F15, Rel S510, Townshend Supertweeters and vibration control; Sound Application SA-XE Line power conditioner
  IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 09/30/22 at 03:57:22

Late to the Innuos party.  I have the Zenith Mk3 also.  I use Roon so I don't know anything about the Innuos ap.  I stream to a Chord Dave and am very happy.  

I'm currently upgrading ethernet cables and looking for an audiophile switch.  Leaning toward the Etherregen.

Buying all relatively inexpensive but silver plated cables.  I find that excels for digital.
Jerry

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print