Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 02:00:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Denafrips Ares 2 Impressions (Read 8257 times)
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Denafrips Ares 2 Impressions
07/06/21 at 00:06:40

Hello all,

I've had the Denafrips Ares 2 for several weeks now and I can say it is a really good DAC for the money. When I first listened to it, I was a bit uneasy as it sounded good, but not great. After a few days of it being on, it sounded much better. I mostly use USB from my Mac using Audirvana, but have tried the Toslink as well. My description is not that different from what others have already said:

Detailed - with very good instrument separation
Soundstage - very good front to back and high to low. Pretty good horizontally
Natural Sounding - mostly instruments sound analog-esque
Nice Bass definition - but not bass heavy
Musical - puts everything back together in a thoroughly enjoyable way
Texture - I LOVE aural texture and it does it really well (though my vinyl rig is still better)

I've been using a Marantz SA-8005 SACD player as my DAC. It is warm, musical, has a lot of weight/density and decent detail. It is a little glare-y. The Denafrips is VERY different in approach and better in most regards except the weight/density.

I had to switch out some tubes in my CSP2+ from what I was using with the Marantz to better complement the Denafrips and provide a little more density/bass.

I've used Schiit BiFrost and Modi before and was never impressed with either. My range of DAC experience is pretty narrow as I enjoyed the Marantz sound and usually have a limited budget.

My budget for a new DAC was $1000, was looking at R2R - Denafrips or MHDT.

I'm running it through a Mini-Torii (V1 - I love 6v6 tubes), CSP2+ and Omega CAMs with an Omega Deep hemp Sub.

I think it is a keeper. I've enjoyed the detail and presentation quite a bit. Thinking about a Zbit as a way to increase the density/weight and maybe a bit more tube-rolling in the CSP2+.

The new DAC is NOT better than my Pioneer PLX-1000 with Ortofon 2M Black going through the ZP3, but it is making me listen to digital  A LOT more than I was before. It is a lot of fun to listen to and is making some old music sound new to me. Good times Smiley.

I would say that it is really a good deal for under $800. And I got it within 4 days of ordering it. Alvin at Vinshine is great to work with.

Scott

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Re: Denafrips Ares 2 Impressions
Reply #1 - 07/06/21 at 20:04:07

And I forgot to mention that I've been preferring the OS with slow filter out of the three options: OS Slow, OS Sharp and NOS. More refined audio texture and less harsh than the other two.

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/08/21 at 23:41:29

Two more things to add. First, the Ares 2 is very black - very quiet background in which the instruments just sit. Also is quite laid back in general, but not in a bad way. More like the instruments are just playing from spaces in the room, rather than being projected at you. Second, I have a Cambridge Audio CXU, which has the same Wolfson chips as the CXN - though the implementation may be different. The CXU is more laid back and natural sounding than the Marantz SA-8005 I used, but the Denafrips is more detailed and enjoyable to listen to than the CXU. I prefer the Ares 2 over the Marantz and the CXU. My thoughts anyway... as they trickle into my head Smiley.

IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/14/21 at 03:58:55

A few more thoughts. First, the speaker placement and toe-in make a BIG difference with this DAC. Some experimentation yields truly striking results - much more than with previous DACs/Turntable. Second, I've been listening at low to moderate levels for most sessions. Today, I cranked the volume a bit and hot dang, it really sings. It is really a good DAC for the money - better than I've heard from the Bifrost, Marantz or Cambridge Audio CXU.

IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/14/21 at 14:49:46

Thank you for your impressions!  I have the Pontus II and will experiment on speaker placement/toe in and see if I see an improvement above what i am experiencing consistent with yours.
Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604C in O/B,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800)
Caintuck Lii 15s, T6s, CSP3 25tt , Elekit 8900,IFI Zen Stream, Pontus I
  IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/16/21 at 04:50:21

A few more thoughts. I have been rolling tubes in the CSP3. A fat base Mullard GZ34 (pricey but worth it) and Amperex USA 6922 for power and an Amperex 7308 USA in the input and I've regained all the slam, bass and dynamics from the Marantz with ALL the benefits described earlier with the Denafrips. With the right tubes, the Ares 2 kicks some serious arse.

It's a keeper for me. If anyone else is in the sub $1000 DAC market, like I was, I definitely recommend this DAC! Cheers,

Scott

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #6 - 08/16/21 at 16:21:26

Hi Scott,

I have been following your Denafrips Ares 2 journey, so it was good to see you post again with a  follow-up.  I am interested as I am considering a DAC in the future.

I may be jumping the gun on my Aris 2 interest as I am on the waiting list for a Rachael, which probably will not happen until next year.  Also, my primary source of music is streaming, with Cambridge CXN (v2) and a good, vintage amp.  My weak link is that I use Spotify, and planning to switch to  Qobuz when the time is right. In the meantime, I have been working away getting things ready, which brings me back to the Aris 2.

My impression from what I have read is that ordering the Aris 2 now may be premature for me due to Spotify and its limits.  I assume that would not be the case for Qobuz or perhaps when Spotify upgrades to "Hi-Res" sometime this year.  I am also contemplating adding a CD transport to my system, and that would reap the benefits from the Aris, I assume.    
So, my question:  Should I currently stand pat or move on ordering the Aris 2?  Your thoughts and those from others is appreciated.  Thanks for sharing your experience with the Aris 2.  It looks like its price has increased a bit since you bought yours.  Do you know of a seller that is still offering it at a sub- $1K range?  It seems like these prices are firmly set.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 08/16/21 at 17:09:52

I just checked Vinshine Audio and they are showing the Ares II at $809.37

By the way, I love mine!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #8 - 08/16/21 at 17:26:02

Hi Donnie,

I just logged on to Vishine as you suggested, and it lists currently at $1098.00.  I thought I should pull the trigger at a sub $1K price, but could not find it.  Do you have a link that shows that price? Any suggestions? Thanks.

DENAFRIPS ARES II R2R DAC
S$1,098.00Price

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/16/21 at 18:12:10

Tony,

Vinshineaudio lists prices in SGD Singaporean Dollars. At the top you can select USD. The transaction is still processed in SGD though.

If you have been looking at the Ares II I would say go for it! I have not heard one, I do know many people report being very happy with them.

Why the hesitancy to switch to Qobuz? It is a huge increase over Spotify!

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #10 - 08/16/21 at 19:00:41

Brilliant. I had missed that.  Thanks.

My attachment to Spotify is mainly due to years of play list building that I enjoy.  This year as my system has evolved with additions like Caintuck OB's and Cambridge streamer, various weak links (like Spotfiy) are more apparent.  As Rachael is still months away, if there has been any benefit to the long wait it is that I keep learning how to improve my listening environment.   To that end, the Decware community has been invaluable.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/16/21 at 19:16:32

For transferring playlists https://soundiiz.com works well. I don't know any other services out there.

Depending on your musical tastes Qobuz might be lacking some of the albums and tracks that you have in your playlists. The quality is vastly better though.

I have started to notice that Qobuz has some albums that are not available on Tidal. I also listen to more indy artists so might be why.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 08/17/21 at 00:42:48

Hi Tony,

I don't have the CXN, I have a CXU (same Wolfson chips) and I quite liked it. Lots of people on here do, and it can be modded with tubes as well, which seems to up it to a whole other level (there are a few discussions on here about it).

A CD player can be connected to the CXN and Cambridge makes a nice CD transport.

Personally, I would wait for the Rachael amp and use the CXN for now as it is no slouch - and it sounds similar to the Ares 2. I will point out that when using low res files from Spotify or YouTube, the Ares 2 does NOT make them sound great. The Marantz DAC I used to use would make them sound better as it was so dynamic and forward sounding. The Ares 2, in my experience, seems to sound REALLY flat/anemic with low res files. I used to not mind watching a YouTube video and listening, now it is hard to do so. I use Quboz or my CD library saved to a Hard Disk for most listening.

I hope this helps. It is so hard to figure out what to do when you can't hear anything before hand. I hate having to have intestinal and financial fortitude. Smiley Best and let me know if I can be of any additional assistance,

Scott

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #13 - 08/17/21 at 04:06:11

Thanks Gentlemen for the assistance and information that you shared with me today.  Each contribution was novel, creating more options here at the end of the day than had at the start.

Tony

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #14 - 09/04/21 at 00:00:36

Hey GS, I wanted to let you know that I followed up on your suggestion to use Soundiiz.com to transfer playlists from Spotify to Qobuz, and it works like a charm.  Conversion success around 90% or higher.  I still find it easier to create playlists in Spotify, but have been enjoying the improved sound quality of Qobuz.  Thanks again for the tip.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 09/04/21 at 18:01:00

Tony,

Glad it's working out for you. The success rate, my understanding is that Qobuz doesn't have all the tracks that Spotify does. When it "fails" it's because it's not available on Qobuz.

Qobuz just lowered their prices too which is nice.

IP Logged
derekinla
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 10/08/21 at 18:36:12

I purchased an Ares II a few months ago and am blown away by what this thing can do. I am waiting for a Torii Jr and currently have this in my office hooked up to my MacBook Pro and the addition of this DAC has totally transformed my desktop system. It is a night and day difference in terms of the immersive, dimensional change to soundstage. The sense of space, air, and the decay of notes is incredible.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #17 - 10/08/21 at 22:48:35

Yep!

That is exactly what I have been saying!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #18 - 10/10/21 at 02:56:14

Let me chime in on this one too as I got an Ares a couple of months back, and consider it to be one of my best purchases of the year along with the Cambridge CXNv2 and Randy's Open Baffle Fast 8's and bass baffle.  I was hesitant initially as the Cambridge has a good DAC, and I was not sure if the Ares would add anything more.  It did.  Reading derekinla description from above, I just found myself nodding my head "yes" in agreement with each one.

IP Logged
tiffy
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 11/04/21 at 05:34:38

Testing an Ares II vs the Musical Paradise MP-D2 Mk3. It's David vs Goliath! The MP is HUGE and heavy, with a pure tube output stage. Funny thing is the Ares sounds more "tube" than the tube dac, but that may be due to R-2R ladder vs PWM I guess. The MP throws a huge amount of detail at you, the Ares smooths over the presentation. In that respect, it sounds more analog to me. Both are almost exactly the same price (around $800 usd). The MP has user upgrade-able dac section, which I might try later. Mine came with an AKM 4490 chip. One thing in the MP that could have been cool is the variable output, but for some goofy reason the volume control they chose is linear rather than logarithmic, and is basically unusable. You can hear sound with the control set to zero  :-?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print