Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 06:42:21 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
HELP BUILD SYSTEM FROM SCRATCH - ALMOST (Read 27302 times)
dao
Verified Member

Re: HELP BUILD SYSTEM FROM SCRATCH - ALMOST
Reply #50 - 07/11/21 at 18:42:53

Donnie,

I don't have the CXN V2 as yet...due to arrive this next week. As I understand it from some research, the CXN V2 can access media from UPnP/DNLA servers...which seems to infer it can access a music library as in Example A and C. If it can indeed, then the CXN v2 would serve as a preamp for all options? Am I misunderstanding this? Again, this is all new to me so I'm still learning.  Dao

Forte IVs . Reisong A10 (temp) . 2 x SE84UFO2's (on order) . Pontus II . CXN V2
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #51 - 07/11/21 at 20:31:44

dao,
Sorry I was just looking at your diagram and didn't realize that the streamer was already in the mix.

I just assumed that you were going from your computer into your DAC.
By the way, you will love the Denafrips, I sure love mine.

My system goes directly from my computer to the DAC then into the Torii.
I like things real simple and direct as possible.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 07/11/21 at 21:02:18

Dao,
Congrats on you choice of Pontus II DAC!  You have multiple inputs for the Pontus DAC.  With the CXN V2 streamer/DAC, you would primarily use with Roon/Spotify/Tidal...I suppose using an optical cable.  I use my Pontus for Roon/spotify/Tidal using AES/EBU and I2S and CD playback via optical or coax.  For FLAC stored in hard drive, I suppose you can use the USB input. The Pontus II gives you the flexibility to use multiple sources.
HTH

Omega SAMS,Altec 604C in O/B,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800)
Caintuck Lii 15s, T6s, CSP3 25tt , Elekit 8900,IFI Zen Stream, Pontus I
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #53 - 07/11/21 at 21:45:07

Dao,

Looks like you’re on a good track. I have the CXN, but don’t use any of the streaming services like Roon,etc.  I have a NAS connected to a router and play music files via WiFi to the CXN.  YMMV, but I compared hardwired with Ethernet cable from router to CXN, and WiFi, and think WiFi sounded best.

I also experimented with an external hard drive using a nice usb cable plugged directly into the CXN. I was really hoping that it would sound best, as it is the easiest way to play music, but the SQ was worse than the other methods.

Also, on HK’s recommendation, I did end up getting a WiFi extender in my music room that helps me play music with no drop outs, as my router and NAS are in another part of the house.

In addition, when powering my stereo on, i automatically set my SE84 to a predetermined volume, and adjust the volume as needed on the CXN.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
dao
Verified Member

Reply #54 - 07/12/21 at 05:19:04

Geno, Great info.  I will confess, I had to look up the acronym YMMV. LOL

I wonder why Wi-Fi sounded the best of the various methods to connect.  Having my FLAC files on my computer and doing Wi-Fi from there to the CXNV2 would probably be the most convenient since they’re going to be downloaded to the computer anyway. I don’t have an NAS yet but will have very soon so I can do back ups.  I already have one of those little SanDisk Extreme portable drives so I was thinking the best quality would have come from it being connected via USB to the CXNV2.  I’ll get to experiment with it sometime this next week and I will post what I hear.

Again, thank you for everyone’s responses.  Dao

IP Logged
dao
Verified Member

Reply #55 - 07/12/21 at 05:29:49

I’m also very curious where everyone purchases their music. I started a membership with Qobuz and I’ve been downloading files for a couple of days now, however there are quite a few tracks I just can’t find. I’m pretty much just running through my entire iTunes library and attempting to  duplicate it.

One song in particular that I love, is the track, Rise & Fall by Adventure Club featuring Krewella.

For anyone out there that likes to sample new music, I can’t say enough about Trip-Hop a.k.a. Downtempo. Groups like Morcheeba, Massive Attack, Hooverphonic, The Supreme Beings of Leisure, Thievery Corporation, Jem...

Love it.

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 07/12/21 at 05:57:02

I love down-tempo.
I listen to it at night all the time.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
JohnWatson

Reply #57 - 07/12/21 at 12:44:39

I stream Tidal via Wi-Fi to my streamer exclusively and I never touch my downloaded files because there's always something new to explore and I enjoy finding new artists.
    I tried Roon.  Their AI for finding new artists that suit your taste seems fantastic but I never could get it to play without dropping and skipping, so I gave it up.
  My point is, if you start streaming, the playing field starts looking huge.  Some of my favorite artists are Brian Eno, Hans Zimmer, Klaus Schulze, Amon Tobin, to name a few.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #58 - 07/12/21 at 15:10:29

I use an external hard drive, western digital, with 8TB storage, connected via USB. 7TB of FLAC files inhabit it so far.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 07/12/21 at 21:43:35

I use Amazon HD.  It took me a while to figure out a way to easily use it because Amazon makes it hard to stream true HD files to your home stereo without a commercial streamer but I found the music selection much better than Tidal or Qobuz for the music I listen to and  it  also sounds better than Spotify to me.  (haven't tried Spotify HD)

I tried Chromecast audio TOSLINK,  BubblePNP from my android phone to a DLNA RasberryPI and I'm finally found the solution that worked best for me.

For about the price as an Amazon Link I ended up using an inexpensive fanless I5 PC  with SSD drive.  I run the Amazon PC app from there using Windows Remote Desktop to control it from my laptop on the couch.  There is also a software app Fidelizer that optimizes the USB into my DAC  for better sound.   The PC app provides a better sampling rate than the Amazon Link or the browser version.
Fidelizer works with Foobar which also runs on that PC to play the digital files I own stored on a USB drive.

It's stable, easy to use and sounds really good while being a less expensive option than either Tidal or Qobuz.. I'm an Amazon prime subscriber so the HD family plan if you pay in advance is only $200 a year for 5 users.  Amazon recently lowered the monthly price so hopefully it will be even less next year  :o

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
dao
Verified Member

Reply #60 - 07/13/21 at 06:26:57

Piezomam,

7TB of music!!?? Holy cow!!! That’s a lot,  what was the single major source of all of those megabytes?  Did you rip CDs or download??

IP Logged
dao
Verified Member

Reply #61 - 07/13/21 at 06:29:28

Dana,

Always nice to get what you want at a good price.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 07/13/21 at 08:42:52

One of the great things about this hobby is there are always options.  I'm really happy with two watts I just got more efficient speakers and I can shake the table in the kitchen with them much to my wife's dismay.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #63 - 07/13/21 at 15:02:24

Quote:
Piezomam,

7TB of music!!?? Holy cow!!! That’s a lot,  what was the single major source of all of those megabytes?  Did you rip CDs or download??

dao, all downloads. i don't do cd, to me that's gone by the way of the 8 track and cassette; and they take up too much space.

IP Logged
dao
Verified Member

Reply #64 - 07/14/21 at 06:35:41

Piezoman,

Interesting point. I actually used to have a Craig PowerPlay 8-track in my first car. I seem to recall listening to “Fly Like an Eagle” by Steve Miller band. LOL

UPDATE: By tomorrow evening, I’ll have my CXN V2 and my Reisong A10, so I’ll finally be able to begin connecting things together. The Reisong will fill in until my UFO2’s arrive....many months down the road. I ordered my Pontus II on the 10th and Vinshineaudio just contacted me today to say it is now shipping via FEDEX. I’m going to start with run of the mill interconnects and zero room treatments. One at a time, I’ll make changes and see what it does. I don’t want to move ahead blindly. I want to learn. I’ll try to snap some pics soon.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #65 - 07/14/21 at 20:06:39

Dao, you're one helluva forum member already.....really glad you're into the Decware family! Hey that was a great tune from a pretty good album....nicely recorded as well. Steve GUITAR Miller, yeah!

Brad

IP Logged
dao
Verified Member

Reply #66 - 07/15/21 at 17:53:23

I was very pleasantly surprised this morning to see my Pontus II DAC was out for delivery on the FEDEX truck. From China to the remote Ozarks of Arkansas in just under 5 days. Just WOW!!! So now, I have my Fortes, Reisong A10 amp (just a temp), my Pontus II DAC and my CXN V2 in the house. Sadly to say, the DAC did not ship with ANYTHING...no power cord, no cables, no documentation of any kind. Before I can hook it all up, I'll have to take a trip to the store for some cables. Pics coming...

Pontus_II_DAC.png

IP Logged
dao
Verified Member

Reply #67 - 07/15/21 at 17:54:39

Cambridge Audio CXN V2

CXN_V2_Streamer.png

IP Logged
dao
Verified Member

Reply #68 - 07/15/21 at 17:56:08

Reisong A10 (gotta have something while I'm waiting for my UFO2s)  :P

Reisong_A10_Amp_001.png

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 07/15/21 at 19:54:27

I’ve been in a downtempo, mid-tempo, trip-hop kick for awhile now. Especially the newer stuff is so well created that the sense of space creates a mind altering experience.

My goto for buying music is Bandcamp, I’ve heard when purchased from there, the artists get the most money. I buy most my physical media from sellers on Discogs. I also have a Qobuz sublime subscription and purchase from there. I’ve started to burn CDs and have really been enjoying playing the physical media.

The way the rights work with streaming music I often go to look for a song that was once in a playlist and is no longer available. I also like to support the artist by purchasing albums and tracks. I go through discovery phases and then into repeat listening phases.

Looks like you have gotten a strong foundation. The plus side of not having any cables is that you can experience what different cables offer. DECWARE’s cables are all solid choices, I have only used the power cables though. Zenwave also makes cables I would highly recommend, I’ve listened to a bunch of them and have always been impressed. The BAV power cable from Blue Jeans Cable is also a good cable.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
dao
Verified Member

Reply #70 - 07/15/21 at 20:44:00

GroovySauce,

Thanks for the tips. I'm always looking for more artists to try. Do you have any downtempo artist recommendations for audition? Two sources of music truly changed my tastes over the years. One, was a woman I dated that introduced me to Supreme Beings of Leisure, Portishead and a few others. The second, was Pandora. I can't count the number of new tracks I was introduced to on there. Once I had a large catalog of THUMBS UP tracks, I took that and started buying. Smiley

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 07/15/21 at 22:03:56

Dao & GroovySauce:

For those interested in this genre, I started a downtempo thread in the Music folder forum.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1626382870

Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #72 - 07/16/21 at 21:47:08

If I can piggyback on the building a system question, next week I am scheduled to meet with Steve as I have questions.  One of those questions  I hope participants of this thread might offer some thoughts.  I have narrowed down my purchase choice to Rachael with Anniversary Mods.  From there in one scenario I add a CSP3 and the other scenario I do not. Going without the CSP3 give me enough left in my budget to add the Pontus II or Aries II.  Currently I have the Cambridge CXN v2.  Randy's Open Baffle speakers.  One more addition: ZRock2.   At this time all my listening is through streaming. All your thoughts are welcomed as I am starting to get a little dizzy with so many choices, and may be missing something obvious.  Much appreciated.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 07/16/21 at 21:58:18

Tony, I do a lot of streaming.
After inserting a ZRock2 into my system, I can't live without it.
To my ears, the ability to tweak the bass makes a huge difference.

Also, I run my Rachael with a ZStage. You might chat with Steve about whether a ZStage would be sufficient for your needs over the much more expensive CSP3.

Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #74 - 07/17/21 at 05:33:42

Tony,

I do a lot of streaming as well.  I use my ZSTAGE with my Torii MKIV and I am happy with the results….especially for the price.  I’m sure the CSP3 would really be a serious kick in the teeth, but for the time being I’d rather save the money and use it elsewhere .  I plan to buy a ZROCK2 this fall, so I’ll report back after it’s incorporated into my system.  

I must say though… that when I swapped out the stock 12AU7 in the ZSTAGE to the NOS Amperex Holland D-Foil Gettef 7062 Pinched Waist, it woke up th ZSTAGE and the sound was so much more alive.  Lon turned me on to this tube…..I like it so much that I bought 2 extra tubes to use in my future ZROCK2.

Just some food for thought.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
dao
Verified Member

Reply #75 - 07/17/21 at 06:52:02

Update... I ended up getting busy with some yard work and have yet to cable the system up. I’m crossing my fingers that the Reisong amp won’t smoke upon startup. They mention smoke in the documentation. The whole thing including the tubes was actually packaged up really well. You know, I’m still very surprised the Denafrips Pontus II came with zero cables! Is this sort of thing normal now? It kinda seems like buying a new car and having it delivered only to find it comes with no wheels!

Late in the evenings, I’ve been devoting quite a bit of time on downloading via QOBUZ....well that and reading about cables, room treatments, etc.

I’ll be sure and post again soon to try to keep this thread focused.

Oh, I did toss down a large Persian carpet in Room B. I had it in the drawing but actually hadn’t put it down at that time.

Now to get familiar with ROON.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #76 - 07/17/21 at 07:17:19

Thanks Guys, my agenda with Steve on Tuesday is taking shape.  I have more options to choose from if I put off CSP3 for another time.  I had not even thought of Zstage.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 07/17/21 at 13:45:40

Tony, IMHO, you already have a Cambridge CXN V2 as a streamer and a source.  Perhaps the Denafrips Dacs can wait and you can reprioritize other purchases.  I have the Pontus II as well as others in the Decware family and you will enjoy it if and when you get either Denafrips.

Omega SAMS,Altec 604C in O/B,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800)
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 07/17/21 at 13:49:41

Dao,
With regards to the Denafrips power cables and interconnects, I remember Alvin notifying me that it does not come with a power cable prior to the shipment and to purchase them and even provided a recommendation.

IP Logged
dao
Verified Member

Reply #79 - 07/17/21 at 15:19:02

I’m glad they contacted you to let you know. I only received an order confirmation and shipment notification.… nothing mentioned about cables to my knowledge. It’s no big deal really. I was actually extremely pleased due to the super fast shipment. I believe the order confirmation did include a sentence saying the manual can be downloaded. I actually think that’s pretty smart.

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 07/18/21 at 03:26:47

The Pontus benefits from having a quality power cord such as the DHC-1 from Decware. You will easily hear the difference over a stock power cord.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #81 - 07/18/21 at 03:54:41

Dao,

If Denafrips would have sent you a power cord and/or interconnects, they would have been worthy of the garbage can anyway. So they save $ on their end and aggravation on yours.

Rejoice!

IP Logged
dao
Verified Member

Reply #82 - 07/19/21 at 04:29:38

Quote from ArtMan:

"The Pontus benefits from having a quality power cord such as the DHC-1 from Decware. You will easily hear the difference over a stock power cord."

ArtMan,

I will put that to the test, as I will room treatments and other cables but it may take me some time. I'm a bit of a Doubting Thomas about some of these things...though not all. Are you saying EASY as in ALL the time...low volumes, mid volumes and high? And can you describe the change that you heard? Although I may have some doubt, I never discount anything.

I'm still waiting on cables and have yet to hear my system.  :'(

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 07/20/21 at 00:34:29

dao,

It has been a couple years since I inserted the Decware power cable into my Pontus so my memory of the changes I heard are a little vague. It was for all volume levels, that I am sure of. The two changes I remember was the midrange comparatively lit up and there was more high end energy that was also easier to listen to.

I've also continued to upgrade my system including the recent arrival of my 25th anniversary amp.

I have another recommendation regarding the Pontus. Until recently I was disappointed in the NOS sound and could not understand how the OS, with slow filter engaged, sounded much better than NOS. I would switch between OS and NOS using the the switch between the two and the NOS always seemed to sound more distant/muffled with a much smaller soundstage.

Maybe it is the enhanced resolution of the 25th anniversary amp but I decided the give it another go round between OS and NOS. I got the same results but finally recognized that NOS sounded out of phase. I hit the phase reverse switch and suddenly the soundstage moved forward and dramatically expanded. My biggest surprise was how vivid NOS sounded when in proper phase. As impressive as the Pontus sounded in OS, NOS takes it to another level of reproduction.

Getting the proper phase for the Pontus is not intuitive and it is best to check both phase and reverse phase to determine which sounds best. It may surprise you. I hope this helps.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
dao
Verified Member

Reply #84 - 07/21/21 at 02:44:59

Well, I finally cabled up my current system which is comprised of an external SSD with some FLAC files, the CXN V2 Streamer, Pontus II DAC, Reisong A10 Integrated Amp and the Klipsch Forte IVs. See diagram. I used regular power cables, Metra Ethereal coax digital cable, AudioQuest Evergreen RCA cables and some decent speaker cables I had lying around. I'm happy to report everything worked upon startup and configuration was a breeze. Using the Stream Magic app, I played some familiar songs from QOBUZ...a fair amount of down tempo with female vocals and the occasional Dubstep/Electronic tune and then a couple of rock classics...and a couple of Jazz hits. I was somewhat pleased, but felt the sound lacking as well. My room definitely needs some room treatments and the system could probably benefit from high end cables, but overall I get the impression I may not be satisfied with a tube amp. For instance, to this day, I recall being 18 years old and listening to the tune "Dragon Attack" by Queen, using my Kenwood Amp, Denon turntable and BETA 045s (Heresy clones). I recall getting punched by the music, hearing the snap and force of the drum beats, the bass, the clarity and breathtaking soundstage. It was as if I was right there at a concert or darn close. I will admit I'm hearing a very sweet sound from the Reisong A10, but there's no force there...NOT VISCERAL in any way shape or form. I'll probably keep the A10 and look forward to the UFO2's coming in, but I think I may want to try a really nice SS amp in the mean time. Any recommendations? Dao

Current_Setup.png

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #85 - 07/21/21 at 03:26:39

Dao, if visceral and a knockout punch in the 1rst round as you hit the canvas is your thing, I highly recommend a Bryston 4B SST power amp. A Canadian company that specializes in no frills and all high end jack. You can pick one up in the used market at extremely reasonable prices. They have a 20 yr warranty.

Youre going to need a preamp, CSP3 for example, or a ZBIT at half the cost.

Brad

IP Logged
dao
Verified Member

Reply #86 - 07/21/21 at 07:31:47

Well, I know there is no perfect system, nor perfect component, but I know I need more impact and detail. I just find it hard to believe my old solid-state 90w/ch Kenwood KA-9100 made those Beta 045s (Heresy clones) sing. I will certainly confess the Reisong A10 sounds nice in many ways...but just a bit afraid the Decware amps won't provide what I'm looking for. either Right now, I'm listening to several Phutureprimitive songs that have nice female vocals mixed with punchy electronic rifts. The female vocals are nice, but the instruments are muffled.

Songs - Phutureprimitive: Enemy, Passes Away, Falling

Without tons of volume, those rifts should conjure up images of chainsaws...that raw ripping sensation. I'm pretty sure the Klipsch Fortes are up for it, but they need the right amp.

I don't want to lose the nice vocals and open sound stage, but I need more...

I also just listened to some Herbie Hancock, and the soundstage was open, but again instruments seemed veiled, lacked detail.

I'll go ahead and start with some high end cables and see what that brings to the table. It may be a good idea to also hit up some other forums and put forth my situation and see what everyone recommends.

For those that have the UFO2, UFO25 or TORIIs, etc...can those amps provide the visceral impact contained in the Phutureprimitive albums; Kinetik and Searching for Beauty in the Darkest Places 1 & 2?

I'm hoping so.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #87 - 07/21/21 at 12:34:44

I would have to say that with the Taboo Mk IV and the SE84UFO3 Monoblocks, each with the 25th Anniversary Mods, and with the Torii Mk IIIs that I had for years, there definitely is DETAIL and IMPACT to the sound if the speakers can deliver it.

I've remembered really fantastic feeling sound in my past and when I've revisited similar equipment in the near present. . . well not so much. My listening skills and my emotional reaction and my hearing are all different now. But I've never heard detailed separation of instruments and the impactful presentation of drums and bass etc. as I hear them now. Just gobsmacked with the sound of my systems and feel I want for NOTHING.

Be patient. .  I think you'll really enjoy the Decware amps.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 07/21/21 at 12:47:15

Dao,
Allow burn-in of your Denafrips and your Reisong A10.  Possibly tube roll your Reisong as well.  I had similar experience with the Denafrips but after some burn in, it opened up!
Bob

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 07/21/21 at 14:28:34

Dao,

Before I experienced what a DECWARE amp can do I was really skeptical about only 25 watts from the Torii. I bought a 15 watt KT88 amp from Oldchen to see if it was enough power. It did play plenty loud. The mid range was really syrupy sweet, top end was soft and laid back a lot of spatial cues got lost, the bass was super warm and bloated.

Enter the DECWARE Torii MKIV My mind was blown! read the sales page for the Torii, it is NOT hyperbole! I didn't know what "fast" meant until I had this amp in my system. The ability for it to do low rumbly bass, think distant thunder rolling through the hills at the same time have a kick drum hit so suddenly and fast it make my heart skip a beat. The speakers disappeared along with the room (Acoustically treated).

All this is to say, DECWARE is in a completely different universe compared to "budget" amps.

How many hours do you have on your speakers? The first 50 hours will  be the most dramatic, over the next 200-300 they should start to open up more. Bass will improve significantly. I'm also a fan of playing them loud for a few hours to really loosen up everything.

I was really disappointed with my PAP Quintets when I first got them. They sounded very dark and bass was fat. I replaced 1 power cable and life was breathed into them and I really started to enjoy them. I've now changed a bunch of cables and am really loving what my stereo does.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
dao
Verified Member

Reply #90 - 07/21/21 at 15:06:25

Thank you for everyone’s encouragement and advice. I will try to burn in the system, then start adding better cables. I may try to rotate the speakers (entire setup) 90 degrees CCW so the speakers are firing towards the kitchen.  We haven’t had the custom bookshelves installed yet so I thought I’d give this a try to see how this changes the sound as well.

Current_Setup_90_CCW.png

IP Logged
dao
Verified Member

Reply #91 - 07/23/21 at 07:25:27

Well, I have a significant update. Since the bookshelves had not yet been installed in my listening room, I rotated everything 90° CCW (as currently shown in the diagram above) and everything changed for the better.  Significantly better. A true soundstage developed and I was able to make out much much more detail.  I would have to say that the dynamics of a room play the most significant part in what you’re hearing based on what I found out today. Since I have family visiting for a few days, I won’t be able to make the cable changes until after they leave but I can tell you that I am so much more happy now. I can tell the amplifier is still not able to provide punch and detail in the bass region, but when I listened to Pink Floyd’s The Wall this evening , I was just blown away by the realism I had never heard before. ... subtle voice fluctuations, the sounds of the guitar and the slightly distant drum beats. That, and so much more. I honestly couldn’t get up until I heard the whole thing.  I can’t wait to get my UFO2s now.  :)

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 07/23/21 at 12:47:00

Yeah dao sounds like your in the groove now. Decware will make the soundstage so much larger!

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print