Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 11:03:25 

Poll
Question: Which one will be more special?
*** This poll has now closed ***

Biamp:SuperZenx2 (poly bypass) CSP3 (poly bypass)  
  1 (20%)
Bridge:SuperZenx2 (poly bypass) CSP3 (poly bypass  
  3 (60%)
Zen Monoblocks x2 (base) CSP3 (base)  
  0 (0%)
Rachel (silver,copper bypass) Zstage  
  1 (20%)

Total votes: 5
« Created by: Arpin on: 06/28/21 at 18:37:31 »

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Vertical bi-amping with two Super Zens (Read 22207 times)
Arpin
Verified Member

Put a great stereo
in every space.

Vertical bi-amping with two Super Zens
06/28/21 at 18:09:53

I’ve long been interested in biamping speakers but have always found that it is simply better to just move up the quality ladder and get one amp that costs as much as the two lower amps.

Everything I’ve read about Super Zens has deeply excited me as to the pureness and transparency available with them. And it got me thinking that a low powered biamp setup could be quite subtle and deep at the same. I am aware that the speakers will not necessarily have more Watts and that sounds just fine to me. This system I’m planning is going into a study/library and will be used principally for low level midnight listening or background to reading during the day. I’m not sure which speaker I’m going to settle on but I’m considering getting a specially upgraded Pendragon with solid core wiring on the inside.

I was considering using one Zen each for the left and right channels so that I could have a simple way to set the balance in the room. I was also looking at doing a CSP3 as the preamp which conveniently can be ordered with two stereo outs which seems perfect for biamping.

I’m wondering if anyone has tried this approach before and how it compares to bridging the Zens or just going with a Rachel?

Exposure Super XV, Exposure CD (original), Rega Planar 3 (1986 - solid silver rewire), Dynavector DV20XH, Neat Acoustics Mystique II, DIY solid silver interconnects, DIY solid copper speaker wire.

Panasonic multibit, Verum, Etymotic, Elac, Pioneer, Schiit
  IP Logged
Arpin
Verified Member

Put a great stereo
in every space.

Re: Vertical bi-amping with two Super Zens
Reply #1 - 06/28/21 at 18:21:53

Another option that seems to be relevant would be a pair of Zen mono blocks. I’ve read great things about these as well in the forums.

So any feedback on comparisons between Zens biamped, Zens bridged, a Rachel, or Zen Monos. With everything I would use a CSP3 except for the Rachel which I was thinking about a Zstage for my multibit CD player.

Exposure Super XV, Exposure CD (original), Rega Planar 3 (1986 - solid silver rewire), Dynavector DV20XH, Neat Acoustics Mystique II, DIY solid silver interconnects, DIY solid copper speaker wire.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 06/28/21 at 18:36:46

Great suggestion. I have a pair of the SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with the 25th Anniversary Mods and I'm completely enamored with them. I have no experience biamping at all.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Arpin
Verified Member

Put a great stereo
in every space.

Reply #3 - 06/28/21 at 18:37:31

Here is a quick poll that I’m hoping will give me some insights from the most experienced Decware fanatics in the world. I’m looking forward to becoming one myself.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/28/21 at 21:20:50

I finally unboxed my Zen SE84UFO and attached it to corner horns.  Are you sure you need two amps?

I can easily exceed 90 db in a pretty large room.  Granted corner horns have over 100db sensitivity but I'm completely rethinking my plan of bi-amping them.  (Not that its out of the question just questioning the need)

If you really want two amps I would think that bi amping would be a better
as you are reducing the work load of the amp.  I have bi- amped both of my previous systems and was very please in the sound over a single amp.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Arpin
Verified Member

Put a great stereo
in every space.

Reply #5 - 06/28/21 at 22:55:34

Very cool to hear that you’ve done bi-amping and thought it was quality. That’s what I’m searching for. Something elusive in sonic signature. Whenever I’ve heard bi-amped systems they have usually offered something extra that is hard to nail down but remains obvious in comparison to a single stereo amp.

I’ve never enjoyed bridging for main speakers as I can always (hear) a reduction in SQ. Although, after reading comments by Steve and others on this forum perhaps the Zens buck that experience fundamentally.

Did you build your own corner horns from Steve’s plans?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #6 - 06/29/21 at 04:07:31

I have two UFOs that I’m using as balanced monoblocs. They sound fantastic and I couldn’t be happier.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Arpin
Verified Member

Put a great stereo
in every space.

Reply #7 - 06/29/21 at 05:52:37

Balanced monoblocks! Wow. Very clever. I suppose that the balanced configuration increases fidelity and presence? Any other kinds of sonic differences?

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/29/21 at 06:15:53

Building corner horns is way above my skill set.  I bought an old pair of Speaker Lab SK horns (a Klipschhorn clone).  When I bought them I had all these plans of replacing all the drivers, horns and crossovers but the more I listen to them with just the one Zen amp I'm just floored with the sound. i think I just lucked out and the shape of my listening room just enhances the sound. My plan now is to wrap the mid range horn with car vibration mat and switch out the old capacitors and resistors with the same values but new better quality and see what happens.

The amp really magnifies changes.  Amazon just delivered two $35 10 AWG power cables for my amp and the DAC and power cables do make a difference,  who knew?

Can a 2 watt amp put out too much bass?  

This amp and speakers together are about two weeks old and just seem to get better with the amp burning in and minor changes like cables so I until I can get my arms around what I'm hearing I all my 40 years of  preconceived notions about stereo my not be valid.

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Arpin
Verified Member

Put a great stereo
in every space.

Reply #9 - 06/29/21 at 07:10:51

Well I completely understand having long standing notions totally upended. This is why I’m actually understanding what Steve has been doing over here at Decware. I’ve been an audiophile since the 90s, have/had friends in the business both on the importing side and retail side. I worked part time (discount) at two stereo shops in California, hung out at probably every single hifi shop in the Bay Area. And I never considered cables that important.

This all changed when for fun I decided to solder together a $25 solid silver cable with silver plated RCAs. What I then heard on my main system after 20 years of ownership blew my mind. The difference wasn’t even close. I threw out all my interconnects and replaced everything ($400 of Chord RCAs) with DIY silver cables. On a lark, I decided to see what would happen if I replaced my speaker wire with 99.9% solid round 10 gauge copper inside Teflon tubing. It was unreal. I’ve replaced every cable I own with solid core DIY and continue to have my mind blown daily.

So when I noted that Steve was making his own silver cables and used point to point wiring I totally got it. He has been listening to the sound not the critics. Steve is likely going to be a legend. My guess is that his amps will be spoken of for decades to come. Maybe longer.

I must own a Decware system.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #10 - 06/29/21 at 15:17:04

Quote:
Posted by: Arpin      Posted on: Today at 05:52:37
Balanced monoblocks! Wow. Very clever. I suppose that the balanced configuration increases fidelity and presence? Any other kinds of sonic differences?

For me, I just think balanced sounds better, more detailed and dynamic. And with 2 UFOs I have very short speakers cables and keep the signal balanced all the way to the speakers. I think differencing the balanced signals across the speaker terminals maximizes that advantages of a balanced signal path.

IP Logged
Arpin
Verified Member

Put a great stereo
in every space.

Reply #11 - 06/29/21 at 16:47:16

How do you run a balanced signal to the regular SuperZen and how do you then send a balanced signal to the speakers. I’m assuming that the speakers just take unbalanced inputs.

Would it make sense to just do a SuperZen Select with balanced inputs or is there something a little more interesting/special happening with your approach?

IP Logged
Arpin
Verified Member

Put a great stereo
in every space.

Reply #12 - 06/29/21 at 16:53:23

I saw that someone voted for a Rachel with copper bypass and Zstage. This was going to be my initial approach to setting up a Decware system until I started reading Steve’s development thread on the 25th Anniversary Amp. And then reading how people described even the “entry level” SuperZen really made me ponder things.

I bring it up because if I were to do a Rachel topped out with upgrades does it offer anything sonically (not loudness wise) over a SuperZen with poly bypass.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #13 - 06/29/21 at 17:36:59

Quote:
Posted by: Arpin      Posted on: Today at 16:47:16
How do you run a balanced signal to the regular SuperZen and how do you then send a balanced signal to the speakers. I’m assuming that the speakers just take unbalanced inputs...

Look on page 17 of the UFO manual:

https://www.decware.com/newsite/SE84UFO-MANUAL.pdf

and it explains how to wire the UFO for balanced operation (also bridged "regular mono"). Basically you need a special XLR to 2xRCA cable and use the L and R channel of a stereo amp for the + and - phase of a balanced channel. The speaker input doesn't care whether the signal is relative to ground (unbalanced) or the negative phase (balanced).

Quote:
Posted by: Arpin      Posted on: Today at 16:47:16

...Would it make sense to just do a SuperZen Select with balanced inputs or is there something a little more interesting/special happening with your approach?

I'm doing something different, maintaining the balanced signal through the amps all the way to the speakers.

The balanced inputs use a transformer to difference the balanced signal and make it single ended before it is amplified. Decware also sells the the ZBIT which does the same thing in a self contained package so you can put it anywhere in you signal path. And a lot of people around here like that, but I prefer keeping the balanced signal balanced to the speaker. Note also buying a second UFO for this purpose isn't that much more $$$ than the Zen select with the XLR input and you get some extra watts as a bonus.

Of course this really only matters if you source is truly balanced, like if your DAC does seperate conversion for the + and - phase of each channel. Just because a component has XLR output (or input) doesn't mean the signal is actually differential.

IP Logged
Arpin
Verified Member

Put a great stereo
in every space.

Reply #14 - 06/29/21 at 17:47:35

Got it. Very cool.

Yeah, I don’t have any balanced sources and not sure if I’ll ever go that way, but if I did have balanced sources this approach seems to be one of the more interesting approaches I’ve seen to balanced. This approach of using a SuperZen in a mono balanced way keeps signal purity all the way through to the speakers. I’ve always been uninterested in balanced previously precisely because there seemed to be no clean way to run a balanced signal to a speaker. This would be worth hearing.

IP Logged
ZENTISH
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 06/29/21 at 17:48:39

Hi Arpin, Here's something that is not in the poll-
I'm using two mono blocked Zens on my woofers
,and a SE34I.2 stereo amp for the tweeters.
Similar output wattage with ability to adjust output for each amp.
The 34 amp is a little softer than the zens which are a little more punchier.
Works great for my system.
Although I should state that my pre-amp (Supratek Dual Cabernet) has two outputs, one driven by a 101d and the other a 6h30. I use the triode 101d for the SE34i.2 and the 6h30 for driving the Zens.

I took the SE34i.2 amp out a while ago, as I was going to sell ,and ran the speakers with the mono-blocked zens.
Tried both outputs from my pre (101d and 6h30) and the magic or whatever its called went away, so right back in it went and have no desire to sell the SE34i.2 amp now.

Just something different to think about!   TISH

IP Logged
Arpin
Verified Member

Put a great stereo
in every space.

Reply #16 - 06/30/21 at 22:09:45

The variety of ways to utilize these amps is pretty amazing. It's hard for me to think of a single hifi amp in this price range (or really any price range) that has the flexibility of Decware amps. SuperZen, Rachel, mono blocks, etc.

I appreciate all of the responses I've gotten so far on this thread.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #17 - 09/26/21 at 18:07:16

CA,

I’m considering getting a second SE84UFO, and running them as monoblocs - but I’m a bit confused about exactly how to accomplish this, technically challenged as I am🤨

I’ve attached Steve’s example from the owners manual, but isn’t the drawing incorrect? It shows the single wire running from negative to negative on the amp, and positives on the amp running to positive and negative at the speaker.

Also, he mentions a separate Y cable. Isn’t this the altered XLR cable as it connects to the amp inputs?

Also, did you rig this XLR on your own, or do you have it made, and by whom?

To further complicate things, I’m running a biamped setup now, using a subwoofer amp to drive bass drivers. This is accomplished by running a single wire (with resistor in line) from each positive speaker terminal to the sub amp. What would I do differently there? I guess a second sub amp - one for each channel?

Sorry for the twenty questions, but this is WAY above my pay grade😵‍💫

Thanks for the help,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Re: Vertical bThe i-amping with two Super Zens
Reply #18 - 09/26/21 at 18:50:39

The description for mono with 1) and 2) is not the same as running them balanced which is illustrated using xlr to rca.
Follow the written instructions for mono series operation.
Follow the illustration for balanced operation with balanced xlr source.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #19 - 09/26/21 at 19:00:35

“I see” said the blind man. I was trying to look at the example shown as all and the same. Thanks Lin. You and CA are definitely the tech guys, as far as my opinion goes anyway.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #20 - 09/26/21 at 19:03:28

But, what about having the special XLR to 2-RCA cable made? I’d want to pursue the balanced version.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 09/26/21 at 19:33:51

Anyone that makes cables can do it.
Premade ones that I have seen (1 xlr to 2 rca) just split the signal like a Y connector.
XLRs have a positive, negative, and ground, the + and - need to be separated.
As shown, run positive and ground from XLR to one rca, run the negative and ground from XLR to another rca.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 09/26/21 at 19:39:36

What amplifier are you using to run the subwoofer?

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #23 - 09/26/21 at 20:48:27

Lin,

I’m using a Crown XLS 1002.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 09/26/21 at 21:24:53

Geno,
You have 2 bass drivers and are using the Crown in stereo?
Seems to me you would keep it the same way, one off of each side/tube amp.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #25 - 09/26/21 at 22:28:22

Yep. Two bass drivers driven from the Crown.

Seems to me you would keep it the same way, one off of each side/tube amp.

One more stupid question. How would I wire this? One positive speaker terminal on each amp - one from each amp to left/right inputs on the sub amp? Or would I need to Y each Zen so that I’m coming off of both positives from each amp to inputs on the sub amp?

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 09/27/21 at 00:04:45

In the diagram you posted, one positive speaker post goes to your main speaker positive, the other positive goes to the main speaker negative. One amp, one speaker. You can no longer look at the binding posts and think in terms of red is positive and black is negative.

The reason for this is because of the way they are wired at the input, one side (output tube) is the positive half of the signal and the other side (output tube) is the negative half. Now one red post is positive (same side as positive xlr signal) and the other red post is negative.

Positive post from left amp to left rca in on the Crown.
Positive post from the right amp to the right rca in on the Crown.

Hope this makes sense.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #27 - 09/27/21 at 00:15:17

Hey Geno,

Just getting caught up with this. I run my UFOs as balanced monoblocks, and yes, pretty much anyone who makes cables can make the the XLR -> 2x RCA splitters. I actually made a pair myself but they were pretty rough. I got a pair from:

http://signalcable.com/index.html, just send him an email explaining what you want. I think it was $99 for a 5 foot pair.

Also https://www.ebay.com/itm/124295003300?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=42518590... does really good work in my experience.

The pro tip is to ask specifically for the + phase to be the red RCA, that way you know which speaker terminal is which. See below re: your subwoofer amp.

As Lin says, you don't want to get off-the-self cables, they don't do what you need. I wish Decware sold these cables, that would make it lot easier (and maybe sell more amps...). The way I think about this is you are using the L and R channel of a stereo amp for the + and - phase of a balanced mono signal.

What is your source? This only matters if your source is truly balanced, and not just a single ended signal on an XLR output. I think the balanced monoblocks are fantastic, and if you pursue this you're going to be very happy.

About your subwoofer amp, you just need to know the + terminal on the side of your red connector (pro tip above) is the same as the positive connection on your current speaker and other + terminal is the negative/return/black connection.

This can be kinda confusing, but soooo worth it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 09/27/21 at 00:21:56

One source is a Cambridge streaming unit, I can't find any specific information, but Cambridge calls the XLR out "balanced".
He also lists a turn table, R2R, and a ZBIT.

The benefit is lessened with non balanced sources (TT/R2R).
Wiring them mono would work just as well.
Passive bi-amping with 2 UFOs is a waste of money IMO.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #29 - 09/27/21 at 01:49:26

You guys are great. I really appreciate your help!

We have a horse of a slightly different color on the Cambridge DAC. It has been modified by Dan Wright of ModWright. If I’m reading correctly, both RCA’s and XLR’s are balanced as part of the mods. I’ve included a photo. Look at the numbered items to see what’s included:

So, I still need the y cable, but I can use either the RCA or XLR out of the DAC?

Also, is a picture of the back of the Crown sub amp:

I guess the real question is, how much will I benefit from this, as I listen to albums and R2R almost as much as music files? I don’t use streaming services at all, but just play files from my NAS to the DAC via WiFi.

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I had to get my presentation together☺️

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #30 - 09/27/21 at 02:04:26

I play CDs and files (and a few LPs) and I know nothing about streamers, and literally just saw the modwright page that you posted. So yes, it looks like your Cambridge is in fact "fully balanced."  If you want the balanced connection you need the XLR splitter to your UFOs.

But if that isn't your primary source then it's a tough call about how much you benefit. For me personally, I really like balanced, and my preamp (a Woo Audio WA22) is fully balanced as is my DAC. I also really like monoblocks for the short speaker cables and separate power supplies, so the balanced UFOs were a nobrainer for me (in fact that is the reason I went with them). I didn't do it for the extra watts, but it seems like they are a happy bonus when I get a chance to crank things up. So I'd say there is a benefit, but whether is it worth it to you is your call.

Of course, it is possible that once you hear how good your Cambridge sounds through a fully balanced connection you will start listening to it more !

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #31 - 09/27/21 at 02:48:04

Thanks again, CA and Lin.

All of your input gives me food for thought.

Very best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 09/27/21 at 02:49:12

The extra watts are only 3 dBs, a little bit, but not much.

I think* what people probably* notice** most with mono SE84 amps is the output impedance is cut in half, which means less speaker frequency response modification from the amp.

* I use think and probably in this post because I realize I could be completely wrong Smiley
**even though most probably don't know this fun fact

IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 09/27/21 at 02:53:06

Conventional mono operation gives you some benefit with all sources.
Just sayin' Smiley

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #34 - 09/27/21 at 03:32:51

I agree Lin. Based on our exchanges, that may very well be the way to go.

The thing that I have not mentioned with all this is the fact that I have fallen in love with an 18 wpc 1969 SS Sansui Integrated Amp that I acquired. It sounds so right with my open baffles.

I was really hoping that another Zen might give me a bit more headroom as well as the clarity.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 09/27/21 at 03:54:46

If you don't already (and you can), place your amps where they are easy to swap in and out.
Keep what you have and enjoy them for what they do. Cheesy  

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #36 - 09/27/21 at 04:00:55

I’ve been doing exactly that. Totally different sound, and I do enjoy both. The Sansui just has that extra “something”.

Blasphemy on this Decware forum, I know, but…

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #37 - 09/27/21 at 15:27:48

Quote:
Posted by: Geno      Posted on: Today at 04:00:55
I’ve been doing exactly that. Totally different sound, and I do enjoy both. The Sansui just has that extra “something”.

Blasphemy on this Decware forum, I know, but…

Since you bring up blasphemy... and I mean this in a totally nonjudgemental way, cuz everyone has her or his own priorities and tastes... but its funny because for as long as I've been on this site my impression is some folks are putting in a bunch of time and effort to make their Decware amps sound more like.... 300B amps. Not that there is anything wrong with that. .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #38 - 09/28/21 at 00:33:08

I do get what you mean, though in my case I move the system towards sounding more like . . .the classic system I grew up with, which was a Dynaco tuner, preamp, amp and AR Turntable in a really wonderful cherry wood cabinet that had 12" ElectroVoice full-range speakers built in. As my system is necessarily housed and placed in a similar way in my "negotiated" listening space (all components on a Samson Ver. 3 rack and the HR-1s pretty darn close to either side of the rack) I guess that is why I am leaning to that sort of presentation, though the room pretty much shapes that as well.

What I love about the system sound I have now is that more than ever it sounds like the best of solid state and tube to me. I get the body and dimensionality of tubes, but without the slow richness; I get the dynamics and punch of solid state but without the edge and grain. And things disappear enough that I become engrossed in the music and just keep spinning discs. . . and finding more discs to introduce into the system. I never thought life would be this good in this particular way. It is, and I'm grateful.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #39 - 10/13/21 at 03:37:31

Well guys, I found another SET amp to pair with my Zen, and will setup the balanced connection.

I have 2 candidates to make the needed XLR to Y-RCA cables. Both know exactly what I need, but neither seem to be in much of a rush to give me a price. The other amp will be here Thursday, so I don’t want to have to wait very long for the needed cables.

The plan is to use the tube amps primarily for balanced digital play from my DAC, but I can swap to a standard connection pretty quickly. I have 3 vintage solid state amplifiers now that I will use primarily with my phono and R2R play.

I never thought that I’d be able to enjoy solid state after listening to Decware tubes for the last close to 4 years. But there is a synergy between the SS amps (Early 70’s Sansui & Pioneer) and my Lii Open Baffles. It is a nice flip side to a very special audio coin, the other side being my tube setup.

So, over the next few weeks, as this all comes together, stand by for probable stupid technical questions, and I thank you in advance  :)

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #40 - 10/13/21 at 18:35:25

I'm surprised no one is in a hurry to sell you custom cables, but I guess a lot of things surprise me these days.

Looking forward to your updates in any case.

IP Logged
Arpin
Verified Member

Put a great stereo
in every space.

Reply #41 - 10/13/21 at 18:46:44

Hey Geno. I can make you some custom cables that might explode your brain. They aren’t super pretty, but they work! I’ll post some photos of some of my “interesting” work when I have a chance today.

I use either solid 3N copper (very affordable) or 4N silver and I can fill you in regarding connector options.

What solid core does is eliminate time smearing caused by quantum tunneling between strands. It sounds bizarre but I can tell you that time smearing seems to equally effect bass and treble. Connector and jacks quality also matters. I’ve tried every option and combination on a wide variety of systems so I’ll be able to diagnose the best solution for you based on your budget.

And frankly speaking, the SQ gains from solid core 3N are as amazing as the solid core 4N silver. The main difference to me is really nuanced. Silver has some benefits associated with a higher prevalence of options vs copper connectors and jacks. The solid silver connectors and heavily plated jacks definitely sound better.

PM me if you want to have simple wire sound leagues better than any stranded wire ever could.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #42 - 10/14/21 at 01:51:51

Thanks Arpin. PM sent.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #43 - 10/14/21 at 19:39:49

I found someone to make the XLR to Y cables. Attached is a description. You choose termination type at each end. Female XLR at one end and male RCA’s at the Y end. They said balanced, but I want verification. This is from Morrow Audio.

Thanks,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Arpin
Verified Member

Put a great stereo
in every space.

Reply #44 - 10/14/21 at 21:25:20

Here's an example of some of my "handy" work. It's not the most beautiful thing to look at but it is pure solid silver Eichmann bullet to solid 24ga 4N silver, to rhodium plated 3.5mm. It cost around $50 in parts excluding time to make. I'm fundamentally lazy but the SQ on this stuff is next level.

IMG_9597.jpg

IP Logged
Arpin
Verified Member

Put a great stereo
in every space.

Reply #45 - 10/14/21 at 21:26:55

That file size was clearly too big.

IMG_9597_001.jpg

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #46 - 10/14/21 at 21:37:02

Arpin, I sent you a PM yesterday about possibly making a pair of Balanced XLR to Y-RCA cables for me.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 10/14/21 at 22:13:27

These look a bit like my DIY speaker cables I made out of soft 14 ga solid silver.  They use Teflon tubing around the wire with the two leads gently twisted together and covered in a mesh sheath.  I started with bare ends but I eventually soldered on Cardas solid copper bananas.

I terminated the tubes and sheath with waterproof heat shrink tubing to keep out the air.  I like them and not hard to make.  I used a recipe from a DIY site.

1230041803a.jpg

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lin
Ex Member

Reply #48 - 10/14/21 at 22:16:10

Geno, the Morrows will just be Y splitters with the same signal going to both rca plugs.
What you need will be custom and you will need to communicate with them on construction.

IP Logged
Arpin
Verified Member

Put a great stereo
in every space.

Reply #49 - 10/14/21 at 22:18:30

replying presently. It's a long message and I'm doing some research into parts as I type.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print