Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:07:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My experience with adding a Sub (Read 1740 times)
drford
Seasoned Member

My experience with adding a Sub
06/13/21 at 17:08:39

Well, I’ve been waiting for what feels like forever (but in truth, it’s not that long, only since November) and my Rachael has now shipped and is making its way across the country. While I will be posting a review (probably long  ;) ) in a few weeks, I thought it might be helpful to follow up on my thoughts on the Caintuck F15s I’ve been running – and the Martin Logan 800x sub I added to them.

Cliff notes: with the sub, even running from a cheap “Tubecube” amp, these speakers spring to life. I have two systems (one SS, Marantz and B&W speakers, and the one with Randy’s speakers run by a Tubecube). There’s no question the Tubecube combo is infinitely more resolving and not at all fatiguing to listen to… however, as the months passed I started to miss the “solidity” of the B&Ws. While they’re clearly less transparent, there’s a foundation there that I didn’t get with the new system.

I researched subs ad nauseum and settled on the Martin Logan 800x. It’s got line and speaker level inputs, app control, Anthem Room correction (ARC), and it’s not ported. That, and I am not interested in HT applications, and Martin Logan is more of a HiFi name. The reviews looked good, and Martin Logan has a good Factory Refurb program which brought the cost down.

As all I have are speaker level outputs to tap in to, I wired it to the back of the Lii drivers (using the world’s cheapest speaker wire – don’t ask… it’s temporary). When I turned it on, it was easy to set up. ARC gets set up from the phone, using the phone’s built in mike, and it’s simple. You can turn it off and on in the app. I set the crossover and phase, and then cued up some tracks. Boy, what a treat.

First off, you don’t know it’s on when it is set right. The app helps here, as you can turn it off remotely and do an easy A/B comparison. And there is no question about the results. Randy’s speakers sound good all alone, but for some tracks the sub makes a night and day difference – I will never go back.

I say some tracks because I listen to a lot of 60’s acoustic jazz and for some of these recordings the differences are really subtle. To test this, I went through the evolution of Miles Davis, starting with older albums (like “Relaxin’ with the Mile Davis Quintet”) and ending with “Tutu”. The sub was much more “required” in the later stuff. By the time you’re listening to Come Get It on “Star People” the sub really makes a huge impact. In contrast, in “If I Were a Bell” on Relaxin’, the sub adds a thickness to the sound, but you just don’t miss it much when it is not there.

I had the same experience with Big Band music. The better the recording the more I wanted the sub. Don Ellis’ “Whiplash” from Soaring became a visceral experience with the 800x. Joy. In terms of classical music, I also found the Lii’s remarkably good, but they came alive when I added the sub in. For modern stuff, the Martin Logan blended remarkably well, not adding bass as much as just adding a firm foundation on top of which Randy’s speakers shone. Love it.

Finally, ARC is pretty cool. The difference in my room is subtle, but it’s there. For me, with ARC on, the bass is just a shade crisper, and the response feels flat all the way down.

In terms of complaints, I do find myself tinkering with the volume on the sub depending on the recording. I have a feeling the high-sensitivity of the Lii drivers isn’t helping as it’s just ‘tickling’ the sub. I’m looking forward to Rachael arriving so I can drive the 800x at line level. On speaker level inputs, I have to have the gain cranked to get matching volume, which can’t be good. Other than this (and because of the phone app it’s no big deal), I am extremely happy with my purchase – and with Randy’s speakers. You simply don’t know the subwoofer is there until you turn it off… and I think that’s high praise indeed.

IP Logged
Waldo
Verified Member

Re: My experience with adding a Sub
Reply #1 - 07/10/21 at 04:01:28

You nailed it when you said that adding a sub springs the F15s to life.  I went the cheap and easy way by adding a Dayton Audio 12" using line level inputs and dialing it in by ear just to the point where you're not sure it's on.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print