Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 18:02:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about Super Zen vs Rachael (Read 2343 times)
derekinla
Verified Member

Question about Super Zen vs Rachael
06/11/21 at 02:18:08

Newbie here. I currently have an Elac Debut bookshelf, a Yamaha solid state amp, and a Cambridge Soundworks subwoofer with 6 drivers in a sealed boxer design.

I am plan on getting a Klipsch RP-8000F tower with reported sensitivity of 92 dB (although Klipsch claims 98 dB). I do mostly 2 channel listening in a medium sized room with speakers that go within a few feet of a corner next to a media console where my TV sits. I listen to mostly classical, pop, rock in the <90 ish dB range (probably most < 80 dB) but also enjoy using my speakers for the occasional home movie with 2.1 sound.

1) What is the sonic differences between the 2.3W Super Zen and the 5-6W Rachael? Since they are both single ended triode amps, I presume they will be fairly similar.
2) Let's say I'm listening to something at an average volume of 75 dB, would there be any differences in dynamics between the two amps? Does the extra 3-4 watts translate to anything audible or palpable
3) Am I correct in assuming that since the Rachael is 5-6 watts, I'm getting an extra 3dB of potential volume over the Super Zen? In the case of the Klipsch with a 92db sensitivity, I presume I may get up to 98 dB (depending on room placement, listening position) over the Super Zen topping out at 95 dB or so?
4) I am leaning toward Rachael with the variable output to connect to a sub for watching movies. Any feedback on how well this work?

Thanks!  :)

IP Logged
EdwardT
Seasoned Member

Re: Question about Super Zen vs Rachael
Reply #1 - 06/11/21 at 12:45:42

I can’t comment on the Zen but the variable output on Rachel works very well. Since Steve taps that off the speaker transformer it’s a lot hotter than a solid state reciever's sub output and I find that I keep my sub input volume control close to the minimum setting. It’s very coherent with the speaker output by design and it works well.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/11/21 at 21:08:22

Hey Derek,

I am sorry more replies have yet to come in but fingers crossed. This is a common sort of question here with various thread names, and I suspect if you wander through General Discussion and Frequently Asked areas, you might find useful reads.

In my medium/large room, relatively near field, the speakers are more-or-less centered on the long wall of a wide and shallow rectangular shaped space. So the speakers are relatively close to the seat, and have lots of room to the sides. My head in my seat is about 8.5 feet from the tweeters of the HR-1 speakers that measure only about four feet apart inside to inside. They are rated 92.5, and Bob, the maker, to me is utterly honest and forthright, so I trust that.

My loud listening for total immersion, using a .10 second speed setting in a iPhone app called Audio Pro, I get 70-80 dB averages, and pretty occasional transient peaks from something like 82-90 depending on the recording.

With a pre-Rachel version of a SE34, in this setting it was really good on a lot of music with my 94 rated speakers by the same maker, but lacked enough headroom to avoid distorted peaks for immersion listening on enough recordings to be an issue for me. I loved the sound, but got a Torii to fix the issue, which has many traits I like more, especially after taming the extra bass it brings to my system/room, and tuning for fine and inner detail with cables and tubes, etc. A bit of a trade off between SE and Steve's extraordinary push-pull versions, but to me the Torii, especially set up for it, can have similar spacial clarity but with richer/fuller sound and more ample power. Overall, I came to prefer it aside from having more headroom with my speakers. But I could well have loved the SE34 more with the right more efficient speakers, and applying all the years of system/room refinement tuning I did with Torii... both really good amps to me.

All this projected listening volume stuff is pretty hard to predict it seems, so many variations in room volume, distance, absorption versus reflection, treatment, speaker setup, front end voltage, etc. But I was running a pretty standard voltage 2 volt front end and was at times underpowered for my serious listening preferences with the SE34 and 94 dB speakers pretty close to me. Who knows if this would apply to you and your setup, but my story.

And by the way, the fairly widely held view that a pre stage can raise the source voltage and end up creating more volume is in my experience a myth for low powered amps, unless the source is rated at a less voltage out than your amp is rated for. I love pre stages for sound tuning, actually using a heavily modified ZBIT, ZRock2, and CSP3 in series now! But greater voltage into the amp, though it can make the sound bigger, denser, tighter, more extended, the Torii still drops into distortion at about the same volume level, just lower on its dial.

My experience anyway.

Hope this helps.

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/12/21 at 03:48:52

Here is what I have read here in the forum:

1) What is the sonic differences between the 2.3W Super Zen and the 5-6W Rachael?

The EL34 amp has a more laid back sound, The EL84 a more lively sound.

2) Let's say I'm listening to something at an average volume of 75 dB, would there be any differences in dynamics between the two amps?

The EL84 has the more dynamic sound, more especially the anniversary model SE84UFO25. The extra power of the EL34 does not make a more powerful sound.

4) I am leaning toward Rachael with the variable output to connect to a sub for watching movies.  Any feedback on how well this works?

I like that feature of variable output to go directly to the sub speaker without the need of a separate sub amp. However, If your sub has it's own amplifier with volume control, You can connect the speaker outs of any Decware amp to the sub amp.

As always, somebody correct me if I got something wrong.

Brian

IP Logged
derekinla
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 06/12/21 at 06:03:54

Thank you Edward, Will and Brian!!! Appreciate the thoughtful, helpful comments!  [smiley=icqlite20.png]

- Derek

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #5 - 06/13/21 at 17:02:18

Derekinla - We settled on a Rachel (and that sounds like I had to lower my standards, NOT AT ALL) and I bought a ZEN SE84CS Kit years ago to prove to myself the 2.3 watt concept (with the correct speakers). I agree with Brian's comments regarding the EL34's in a Rachel. I ended up running 807's with adaptors in our Rachel. I did try every applicable tube that Steve says you can run in the Rachel, there wasn't a HUGE difference IMO, the amp sounds so darn amazing with anything but liked the EL34's more than the KT77, KT88... I was a Klipsch dealer years ago and ran my lil'Zen on some towers with good results ,but proved to myself that putting a crossover between my amp and the driver was impacting the music in a less than positive way. I choose to use a single driver system with sub by Omega and am very happy with that combo. I do think that the addition of a pre-amp/gain stage will be a positive with either of the two amps. I did have Steve make our Rachel with a line outs to drive the sub, but choose to run it at speaker level instead. Keep us posted on your progress, welcome to the forum and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print