Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 21:30:09 

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
So who fell for the cryo craze? (Read 22053 times)
piezoman
Ex Member

So who fell for the cryo craze?
06/06/21 at 02:47:06

With entities like cryoset and others out of business, who fell for the placebo during those good ole days?

I'll bet they made money hand over fist......until they didn't.

Gotta admit.....pretty funny stuff.

https://blog.thetubestore.com/cryo-tube-controversy-the-chilling-truth/

https://blog.thetubestore.com/cryogenic-treatment-of-tubes-an-engineers-perspect...
ive/

- Brad

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: So who fell for the cryo craze?
Reply #1 - 06/06/21 at 03:02:11

In retrospect it is easy to laugh at cryo-treated tubes. Of course I felt much the same way about spending a hundred bucks for an "audiophile fuse" until I did it, and really heard the difference. So I'm not sure where the that leaves me...

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/06/21 at 03:16:05

James, the cryo hucksters are largely out of business. As per my second link, as written by an engineer, blind tests were done, and no differences were heard. IMO, the cryo facade was all about making money by taking advantage of people prone to being taken advantage of.....until they couldn't anymore. Thats a true marker of capitalism....crap gets 86'd......and its great because capitalism is great.

Maybe in 20 years the cycle starts all over again. After all, we never learn anything in the long run.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/06/21 at 04:06:35

A huxter hoax was not my experience Brad. Early trials, in the few direct comparisons I did with the same power tube, one cryo'd and one not (both with close measurements), I definitely heard some more resolution and speed from cryo treatment. Whether it was better or not was a choice, but I preferred it.

Later, aside from new tubes, I actually had Ron at Cryoset cryo some VRs and input tubes I had used and was very familiar with, and it was not earth shattering, but notable, and to me worth the cost. I really liked the VRs! What I heard: the sound change is generally more clear, fast and solid ....less smeared.

Also as I recall, Ron was one of the least expensive power tube sellers (and by the way, Cryoset went out of business because Ron died, and he was cryoset). Similarly inexpensive, a big NOS tube seller in Spain seems to cryo most or all of his tubes and always has good buys...I am thinking Radio Antigua might be his company, but not positive.

I did not look at the videos you posted Brad, but I have observed that some engineers are fairly conventional and rule oriented people to start with, and at times these folks can be so prone to believing what they are taught, that often can't hear what they don't believe in. Also, if you do not have a well set up system and room that is highly resolving, you might miss a lot of what many of us hear.

On the other hand, many folks who cryo are also engineers or tech designers. I gather you have a fair bit of respect for Dave Elledge at Pi Audio Brad. Last I knew, he cryo'd lots of parts and wires.

But I have to go on what I heard, initially dipping my toe in, and then learning I liked cryo treatment. That said, I like well made tubes and wires, receptacles, etc without also. I just heard a positive difference from cryo treatment the times I was listening for the differences, so came to trust the sound in general.

My experience anyway.

Will

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/06/21 at 06:17:43

Will, extraordinarily interesting. Thanks for sharing.

In my experience, a GZ34 cryod vs. non-cryod [the one ebay seller didnt mention one of them was cryod, after receiving it the box indicated it was and he confirmed it after I followed up on it]......no difference to my ears.

IP Logged
DPC
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/06/21 at 09:53:58

Brad, you have brought up a very interesting subject.

It is our very human nature to believe what we want to believe.
Some folks will go to their grave believing what they want to believe.
There are people who capitalize on this and make loots of money selling
absolute crap.  Think "Jeff Katz".

If this subject lasts, I will view it with amusement!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #6 - 06/06/21 at 11:23:43

I do believe that I have adamantly said all along that cryo doesn't work in anything and that the people doing it were charlatans.

But who am I to say if you can hear the difference?

I'll just put it down to the progress of man.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 06/06/21 at 11:56:11

The real test of the cryo treatment is as Will has done: cryo treat a tube one has been using and is familiar with. I haven't done that.

I bought mainly from cryoset.com Russian input tubes that were cryo'd. And I did have very similar tubes bought elsewhere with no treatment. I will say in comparison there was what I perceive as a mellowed top end, just a hair difference. And I think there may be a longevity improvement. I used cryo'd tubes a long time, longer than I would the non-cryo'd similar, without any noise or hum issues or any lessening of characteristics.

The interconnects that I use in my main system are cryo'd. I haven't used the same non-cryo'd--they don't sell them that way--so I can't tell if there's a difference. They are damned kickass interconnects though. I also have three pair of cryo'd interconnects that cryoset.com sold not in use right now--those too are very very good interconnects; I can't know what the cryo treatment contributes.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/06/21 at 14:17:59

Interesting reads Brad. The giants of the tube manufactures did not capitalize cryo even though one had the means in place. Maybe a cost to benifit thing but there are mainstream engineers that do not see any benifit other then hardening steel.

Makes me wonder if cryo tubes make a difference at the onset of use with diminished benifits short-term.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 06/06/21 at 18:19:49

Back in my Aerospace days I think I remember cryo treatment of electronics as a way of weeding out "infant mortality."

Double blind listening tests would take out half the audio industry!   Grin

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 06/07/21 at 02:39:55

Thanks for this input Archie. I was wanting to mention something similar relative to cryo possibly weeding out early failure with tubes. Over time I became concerned that Ron's (cryoset) cryo'ing tubes may have contributed to early failure, contraction and expansion perhaps weakening already weak connections. I couldn't prove this, but had that feeling after losing only one of several quads of power tubes over time to early failure. Ron always replaced them, though he thought it was most likely bias issues from my self biasing amp rather than tube weakness. But if bias was the issue, I never got why the rest of the quad, and the replacement, then lasted a really long time. This may support your thought on cryo weeding out weak electronics, as well as Lon's impression that cryo can increase the life of tubes (if they are not weak to begin with), since once the bad tube was replaced, these tubes did seem to go on and on.

Strictly assumptions, but perhaps useful in this conversation.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 06/07/21 at 13:43:48

I've heard that cryoing is for tube life. I did get a cryo'd quad of GL KT66 from upscale that outlasted my Quad of KT66 non-cryo. I DO NOT think cryo vs non-cryo had anything to do with tube life. 3 Months vs 9 Months 10-16+ hours a day.

Anyone know where to send tubes to get cryo'd? I have a few pairs of Westinghouse OA3's. I would be interested in sending a pair out along with a pair of OC2 and 6922's. If the cost was reasonable.

Cryo does something, even if there is no perceivable benefit.

The major concern I have with blind or double blind testing is that a small "taste" doesn't always let you know how you will like living with something in your system. Yes, if there are differences they could be found. Is that difference something you want for hours at a time?

Remember the Pepsi Challenge and New Coke? short version, Pepsi did a blind taste test and people preferred Pepsi over Coke. Coke then did research, they found if they sweetened Coke, it would beat Pepsi in blind tastings. New Coke was introduced. It flopped! Why? For one sip people like the sweeter taste. Drinking a whole can wasn't as enjoyable as drinking the less sweet Coke, They scrapped New Coke. That is why it's now Coke Classic.

I've was once told by a speaker manufacture, if you want your speakers to wow the crowd at shows. Boost the treble, people will love it at shows, when they sit down to listen for hours they will get fatigued and not enjoy it for long listening sessions.

Sorry for such a long off topic on blind testing.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
metropolis7
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 06/08/21 at 15:40:20

The analogy is like cotton candy vs. steak and greens. One will excite you at first, then make you sick after a while. The other will satisfy you in the long run.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #13 - 06/09/21 at 02:13:50

I was told by someone that cryo treatment was developed here in Peoria by Caterpillar Tractor Company.  Used to strengthen steel parts for tractors.  I have no doubt that it works well for that.  I have no doubt that if you do it to enough tubes, that eventually the majority of treated tubes might last longer.  

The first time I listened to a pair of Cryo'd output tubes in a Zen amp, I thought they sucked because the apparent high frequency extension was gone.  After I measured I found it was not gone, just free of some of the grain that puts an edge on higher frequencies.  After more listening I realized they probably did actually have more nuanced detail as a result.

It makes sense to me that cryo-treated wire should also make a difference if any of this crap about pure crystal copper and pulling techniques have such an effect to make to wire cost the price of jewelry.  I believe it probably does.  Reason, Cryo has a physical effect that can be seen under magnification.

I'm not saying all Cryo treated audio gear sounds better.  There are over 100 ways to cryo something wrong.  It takes years to develop the perfect temperature over time ramps for a given product, so it's not shocking that there would be a lot of BS cryo audio products hit the scene.

Know what doesn't have a measurable physical effect under magnification? Quantum tunneling. A marketing term used to describe hooking a Tesla coil to a piece of cable and watching it somehow make the wire become worth over 10 times what it actually cost. But then as far as the cable industry goes, it likely has as much chance of altering the sound of the wire as any of the other 400,000 reasons why brand X wire sounds better than brand Y.  

At Decware we're working on a way to incorporate anti-gravity, quantum tunneling and cryo-treatment into a single process by freezing the amplifier, then firing it from a cannon into the air like a giant piece of dry ice and at the exact point where it stops ascending we zap it with a Tesla Coil and then let it fall back to earth and catch it in a pure cotton net that has been treated with a special anti-static coating.

I hope this was helpful.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
CJinArcadia
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 06/09/21 at 02:31:12

Gosh - I hope Steve’s new process is in place for the Rachael I’m ordering soon.

Raspberry Pi/allo DigiOne streamer/server; MHDT Orchid DAC, Unique Audio tube pre; diy Curtis Spud amp; anticable & diy cables; diy Betsy(alnico) & Buck speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 06/09/21 at 15:58:00

I tried an anti-gravity platform for my TT but I couldn't get the cart to track properly.     Roll Eyes

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #16 - 06/09/21 at 17:10:46

Sorry Steve, you lost me at cotton.
Anyone who knows anything about sound knows that only silk netting will work with your method.

The lack of knowledge around here numbs my soul!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 06/09/21 at 17:47:26

I too cryo'd but it was not expensive.  A place here in the Chi-town area. $5 an item.  I can't remember what all I did.  Some outlets for sure.  A couple of tubes.

The delay from the last listening session to putting the cyo'd stuff back in was a week so I don't know if I could hear anything any different, but I felt pretty cutting edge and audiophile.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 06/15/22 at 19:53:20

What a great thread, just a year before the "great cryo" revelation. Ha!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 06/16/22 at 03:59:29

The first time I ever heard of Cryo treatment was when I bought a fancy German geologist pick.

They had imagery that showed what happens during their processes. It wasn't a one time thing though. It was a series of improvements that had shown up as a result of the "cryo tempering" process applied to a damn hammer. It was similar to what racers do with high stress engine parts, but far more complicated.

The changes in copper are widely documented, but so are a few changes noted in harder metals, even iron.
Does it make it better? Subject to what?
If it's a damn hammer and if it holds an edge better because of Cryo tempering, then the evidence for a change after cryo treatment can be measured. Right? We all like measurements.

Does it sound better? I think, maybe so, but I might be biased, becasuse the damn thing holds an edge better than any I have owned. I've had several; I usually lose them.

Just a fun aside ...   Grin

Cryo is real guys, but whether it makes your sound equipment better is up to each of us to decide on our own.

I've only bought four cryo'ed 6N15N and four outputs, so my experience is limited. They are different, but better?
Can't say, yet.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 06/16/22 at 04:24:35

DD, I like your story telling... informative and fun.

100% agree that each person must decide for themselves. That's what made Steve's declaration about the new cryo tubes being all that so odd to me.

I do not have the most resolving sound room, so I'm limited in my ability to determine micro differences. Neither do I have the patience to make such a determination. I find it takes away from the enjoyment of hearing music. For those that do enjoy finding the last . 1% of improvement, go for it.

I have yet to listen to a tube that didn't show its strong potential within 10-20 hours. Whereas amperex 7308 and equivalent Mullard tubes have impressed me within a few hours...minutes even. The same goes for nos SED 6L6GC tubes. The latter used to be rather affordable. The other Russian 6L6 equivalent from the FOTON factory are also immediately impressive.

But that's me. Others I've talked to have been less impressed.

Again, I really like how you presented you're perspective.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 06/17/22 at 18:53:43

I hate to always be the thread ender.
I sum up my experience, which is usually quite limited in this whole sitting down and listening realm, and it seems to end a popular thread more often than not.

I want to show just how much more I need to know before any understanding can set in.

You have my thoughts. I am a hard sell, but I still believe my damn cryo'ed hammer sounds better than the non-cryo'ed ones I've had.

Please, continue with your perspectives, guys!!

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 06/17/22 at 19:00:50

DD,

I'm not sure what you are trying to convey in that last post.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 06/17/22 at 19:04:57

Just that I want the conversation to continue and not end, just because I posted a bit of comedic nonsense.

Oh, my first exposure to cryo treatment which I related is real.
I got the hammer.

I want to know more about tube tech.

Please, continue.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 06/17/22 at 20:22:51

Aloha All,

Who fell for the cryo craze?  Let's investigate.

Brad/ PiezoMan/ Tempest has written the following statements both in this thread, and recently (by Decware forum standards) in the CSP3 thread....

Quote:
James, the cryo hucksters are largely out of business. As per my second link, as written by an engineer, blind tests were done, and no differences were heard. IMO, the cryo facade was all about making money by taking advantage of people prone to being taken advantage of.....until they couldn't anymore.

[And in the CSP3 favorite tube thread]

It was:

1 Valvo or Telefunken AZ1, or Mullard GZ34 smooth plate circa 1958
2 RCA 6SN7 gray glass, circa 1943
1 Voshkod 6N1P-E

The above has been retired.

Its now:

1 Wathen Cryotone 5AR4-WC
2 Wathen Cryotone 6SN7GT-WC
1 Wathen Cryotone ECC88-WC

I must admit, I find this logically vexing.  Our dear friend Brad posts a welcomingly saucy topic about who fell for the cryo craze.  When the evidence suggests that it is Brad himself who has fallen for the cryo craze.

I'm doing my best to come up with a humorous analogy, but will instead differ to the professionals.

This reminds me of the classic Dave Chappelle Show Clayton Bigsby sketch where Dave is a KKK grand dragon (or whatever they call themselves), but he's blind, so he doesn't know that he's actually black.  And the other KKK members have never seen him without his hood on.  So Dave is railing away at how much he hates black people.  They even got one of the 60 Minute correspondence to play along (actually, might have been from Frontline).  Absolutely hilarious.

It's like Brad has a hood on and is opining about what a scam cryo treated tubes are, not realizing that he has all cryo treated tubes!

Oh how I love a good old fashioned irony.  Doh!

Smiley

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 06/17/22 at 22:36:56

Well need some back up EL34 tubes so why not. If they are matched and passed their standards. Maybe some 5AR4's to boot.

Same Old DD,

Replaced the GE 5U4 with the 5c3s Black Plate. It's been a great move. Have many more rectifiers to test out. Think I'll leave these in for a while.

Joseph

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 06/17/22 at 22:37:52

Steve said:

I hope this was helpful.

Actually, it was and maybe more so than I can express.

Thank you again.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 06/18/22 at 00:02:34

Thanks, Joseph,
I'll have to try those. Seem very affordable. Where did you find yours?
(I found some in the UK, right away)
Always looking for a good tube seller.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 06/18/22 at 00:09:53

DancingSea said:

Aloha All,

Who fell for the cryo craze?  Let's investigate.

DOH!

Howdy,

I don't know Brad much, but maybe he is expressing some kind of buyer's remorse and seeking a modicum of co-lateral companionship in his troubling search.

I tend to give people several chances to help me understand them best.
If that's a failing on my part, I'll stand up to it.

I don't mind a call out either, but doing so is best meant as a way to find paths around our differences.

We are doing that, right?
Cool

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 06/18/22 at 00:16:47

Same Old DD,

Ukraine 12 months ago, Added them to an order luckily. Sad time for that part of the world.

Joseph

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #30 - 06/18/22 at 00:54:19

Jec3504 said 5/14/22 Edited:
Edit: I see where DS is coming from most of the time. Or at least understand his position.

Just for the record, would like to correct the record: time changed from most to 33.3% of the time. Really have no clue what his position is.

Sorry DS no disrespect implied.

Joseph

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 06/18/22 at 01:05:36

Same Old DD,

Have no concern, my post is written with a healthy dose of good cheer.

The glaring contradiction was too much to pass up, and shared in a playful chiding fashion.  It’s very far from being a “calling out”. It’s more a poke in the ribs with a slap on the back, and a haha.

I was rather surprised that no one picked up on the great irony of Brad’s post.  Of course it’s possible he is referring to some other era of cryo treated tubes.  But even that begs the question that if Brad has such strong opinions about the hustle nature of cryo treatment, then how does he reconcile that with his enthusiasm for Cryotone tubes?  Not saying it can’t be reconciled, just that it has not yet in his posts.

Is the Cryotone process dramatically different from all other cryo treatments?  And is that manufacturing difference provable by someone independent of Cryotone?  Or is this a classic case of the audiophile placebo effect?  Has Steve’s enthusiasm for Cryotone bewitched Brad?  Or is there something fundamentally different with Cryotone?

I have no opinion one way or the other. I’m just happy to have worked Clayton Bigsby into a post….

Grin

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 06/18/22 at 01:21:48

Joseph wrote:

Quote:
Just for the record, would like to correct the record: time changed from most to 33.3% of the time. Really have no clue what his position is.

Sorry DS no disrespect implied.

My position on what?  I’m happy to clarify.

I write in a very articulate fashion. My position is clearly stated in my words.

I do find it peculiar when someone, like you, has perhaps a different point of view, which is totally ok, but instead of responding or questioning my points, you instead make a random, totally out of context generalized numerical appraisal of me.  Very odd.

I can’t recall, in all my years of Internet forum life, someone randomly declaring to what percentage they understand my position. Huh?  Is that what we’re supposed to be doing, applying randomly stated percentages about how much we understand another member???

I find that uproariously hilarious!

“Thanks for your reply Joseph. I find your comments only 23.7% understandable”.  Hahahaha!

C’mon now, if you’ve gotten something to say, let us hear it. No need to hide behind percentages.

I get a chuckle out of applying percentages to a spousal relationship. Well honey, I really only can relate to 12.8% of what you say.  Hahaha!

Joseph, it is now my mission to raise my understandable score with you.  How am I doing?

Cheesy

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 06/18/22 at 01:24:39

No score D.S. your free to do whatever. Everyone has their own thing.

Joseph

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 06/18/22 at 02:50:57

Jec3504 said:

Ukraine 12 months ago, Added them to an order luckily. Sad time for that part of the world.

Thanks, Joseph,

Any stateside sources you've heard about?
I found Tubeman. Mixed result there in the past.

Never tried him for any cryo's, though.

I am shy on rectifiers, for now. Finding is high up on my list at present.
I appreciate your help.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 06/18/22 at 05:27:30

DS,
Your shit is funnier than mine and I really like that!
But if your references can reach Brad with that pat on the back that you suggested, without Brad stabbing your brain through the neck, then Godspeed to all of us.

We have a chance!
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 06/18/22 at 05:27:53

DS,

I'm assuming Brad's use of cryo tubes has a lot to do with Steve's wholesale support of the cryotone tubes. I don't know for sure, because, like you, I didn't take the time to ask him.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 06/18/22 at 05:29:56

You've said this more gently than I did, yeah!
Thanks, Joseph.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 06/18/22 at 05:39:24

Why did you remove your post?

I get that skirting the thin ice is going to gong Donnie, but I revel in judgment.
Restate!

Please.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 06/19/22 at 01:33:33

I am almost always amazed at how easy it is for us humans to modify reality to suit our desires and preferences, while ending with hard lined opinions that are formed at least in part of limited and edited information. Relative to audio, I guess this amazement is because I am always trying to read causes and effects in an unbiased and holistic way toward better musical experiences. And every sonic change I make changes everything else I hear, making absolutes seem foreign in my experience...

The whole idea for me (and I think most others) is to gradually learn more of how to hear the balances of balances, as well as the sonic influences of parts, wires, power qualities, etc, and thus grow more able to efficiently create a more complete sound. And personally, even seeking to understand my most "trusted" audio friends, I might end up close to them, but no matter how close, there is always a twist as to how it applies in my room and system, and usually these twists are informative for both of us toward better understanding.

This is one reason I rarely read articles like Brad posted at the beginning of this thread, the flavor of his post making it appear that the "facts" from these links might be biased against cryo. And when I consider that everything is in part personal listening skills, and in part system/room dependent, why would I want to fill my head with more "authoritative" views that are likely to be way outside my experience.... I knew from personal tests that cryo treatment can clean and smooth things, so why waste energy on yet another blast of ideology that has nothing to do with my experiences from my own listening tests?

Which leads to what I do listen to....

Talk, posts and articles of folks I have come to believe I can gain real pointers from are actually fun for me. They stimulate creative drive. And though many times, I am not necessarily in full agreement, by investigating how I interpret a "trusted source," I almost always learn. On the other hand, those who set out to disprove what others with better systems and perception hear, sometimes based in "science," often appear not to be seeking insight and truth, but seeking more to discredit and to be "right." Whereas, folks seeking to learn new things, almost always reveal a more open mind, a more responsive and flexible mind, minds that cultivate positive change rather than trying to kill it.

So, toward an objective for making the music more real and entrancing, rationalizing ideologies or the opinions of others is often not at all useful to me. And unfortunately, I suspect a lot of "information" on the web is parroting others more than based in personal experience.

Whereas, for me, a whole lot of the attraction is the fun of discovering what I hear, and adjusting my systems accordingly. Then, as things get better and better... seemingly perpetually, with no end in sight.... I also get a little better at hearing and facilitating it all getting better... With more complete balances and nuances, the musical experience is more complete, balanced, and complex... just like the music. With this bottom line, I really can't see any benefit from "psycho-acoustic" "beliefs" that support "acting like I am right" when something isn't right... So it is hard for me to practically imagine this theory... I just don't get the point....

When I am experimenting, often I find breakthrough openings complete enough that they can contribute to new ways of hearing it all. Many modifications and adjustments might be heading in the right direction overall, but by uncovering more than the initial hopes would have implied, beautiful combinations of revelations can easily show me new ways of hearing and perceiving what makes up the whole sonic experience.

Top to bottom resolution increases are primary for me... As it all opens smoothly, with better speed, and less smearing, less spectral imbalances causing masks, and much more harmonic complexity making it all richer and realer... I can get further into the music. And as new musical information is revealed and integrated, I also hear more of what makes natural musical complexity... opening new listening skill "horizons."

After years of this, someone saying they can't hear this or that does not tend to influence what I listen for or hear. Equally, I like pointers to new ways of perception and revelation, but it means little to me unless the pointer is personalized and realized in my own experience, and in my system. And this is likely not so different than naysayers... except that if they don't hear something, they tend to deny what I do hear as delusional "snake oil" or whatever. Where I tend to feel sorry for those who's system/rooms or body/minds can't uncover a lot of what can be conveyed in more complete system/rooms.

So in seeking the real causes and effects as observed in as unbiased a fashion as possible, I am confident that I do not have it all right at any given moment, but I am also confident that my baselines for perceptions and realizations are always improving... And luckily, I am confident enough in musical perception and experiences not to be held back by some absolutist bullshit that says what I hear is not real.

The "proof" can of course be from "blind testing," but does "blind testing" necessarily solve any of these "controversies?" If a system or a body can't reveal and perceive all that is possible, and a blind test "proves" this.... is that a real test of whatever was being tested? And as bad, to me, most absolutist's "proofs" are designed to disprove what others hear, and not to discover new information. And I always wonder.... how can "absolute" fit in a living thing like a great audio system? As far as I can tell, my sound has never been the same... it is always evolving... never static, creating one absolute I can agree with... everything is in a state of transformations, and hopefully good ones!

When I was in the thick of sometimes 5-10 modifications in a day, I did enjoy a version of "blind testing" with my wife. She has really good listening discernment, and it was almost always the case that she liked changes I liked, though she had no idea what I had done, or when, or why specifically. For years I was so careful with my modifications, trying to keep a stable reference with my room and gear setup over time, and trying not to shift the balances Steve designed in except with great care that it did not mess up the whole of the balances. So I was/am very careful to avoid getting "off." Supporting this, another critical reference for me was/is maintaining or improving balances from within the broader balances so that my system sounds really good across most recordings. Throughout, my wife's comments, solicited and unsolicited, have been a corroborating reference to help keep me on track... a sort of comfort.

Looking at tubes and cryo, in a fully resolving system and room, obviously everything matters, especially if that complete sound we seek is in fact extra resolving and complex. Not masking, but embracing very fine detail and space musically, I find more fine detail in clear space (right down to rich harmonics and decays) can be way more musical than less. But in a tradition of fears of "detail" being harsh, etc, seeking and finding the fine stuff musically is probably one the the most difficult tuning tasks for me.

I resent how so many makers over decades tried to bridge transparency with "forgiveness," often defaulting to "musical warming/masking" that kills/smears critical aspects of subtle beauty that can make music feel real. And now, really in a new age of home music, refined resolution within open space is more of a realistic goal, so we are learning that resolution with excellent space can be "transparent" without being painful...

But still I fear many developers have yet to integrate smooth revelation and really good timing fully as a measure to create a realistic and more complete musical experience. With fuller resolution comes better timing and space, also revealing naturally fast micro-micro to macro speeds across the spectrum, and if spectrally balanced in all ways, while being unrestricted in musical complexity (resolution and space)... it can be crazy good. Yet in my sheltered world, most sources I have heard kill a bunch of this important information right off... and though these sources can appear to sound pretty right in many ways based on traditional development, they can be missing too much subtle beauty due to designer's tendencies to run from hardness by dulling it rather than making it more musically complex.

So we all hear things based on our wildly variable systems and rooms, but also, we all have different hearing abilities and listening skills.... Under these conditions, even if we can't hear this or that in our system, does that make it an absolute, proving that others can't hear the same things we can't???

Maybe a decade or so ago, my buddy who developed the Tranquility DAC had four primary reference systems to do blind testing with, as well as a bunch of pop DACs (mainly under 5K at the time) to try to do better than... And this guy, and the developers he worked closely with, did blind testing for design and parts parameters when creating this DAC. Here were some guys trying to make a NOS $1K DAC sound better than many "hi-res" DACs costing 2-5 times as much... so guessing it is not glamour or pretense they were after, but real sound that is as affordable as possible... My question becomes, why should blind testing in this case matter unless it helps to give us sound we are after. The safeguard here to me is that this was a creative blind testing process, designed to discover what we don't yet know, to discover beauty. Whereas blind testing designed to disprove something could potentially be another matter... more about discrediting than expanding knowledge.

So "blind testing" can be used a lot of ways....to prove "snake oil" being one. And people prone to mistrust of others, and perhaps not very confident in their own discernment abilities, seem more vulnerable to shouts of "snake oil." I also guess some folks attracted to discrediting this or that are often speaking more about what they have read than what they personally discovered. Or it could be a combination, especially true if whatever it was they tested did not have obviously good effects in their systems and rooms. But again... what of all the countless variables that would allow hearing something or not? If a system and room are held back by design, and/or by room issues... there can be a whole lot on the recording that we can't hear! And obviously we are all different in our musical path, some of us more or less discerning. But with luck, improving discernment can help us solve subtle masks, veils, and imbalances... and in turn make our systems more revealing, so potentially hearing more yet.

I can also imagine, that even if a system has quite good balances and resolution, some tubes may be so well designed and made that cryo may not effect them obviously. I wonder if this might be a possibility with the famous metal based Mullard GZ34s Brad so loved. Seems plausible that they are so good that the particular cryo treatment that was done on one of them may not have done much to improve it? Or maybe the samples were a little different vintage (or whatever), and the cryo'd one would have sounded a little worse without cryo because of subtle variations in parts and construction? No telling really, but to me not hearing a difference between the cryo'd and non-cryo'd tube was not a conclusive argument for throwing out cryo as bunk!

The Cryotone cryo systems, by appearances, are developed specially for each tube they work on...  would they be able to do something more for the metal base... we don't know. But Brad's going from a hard core NOS tube guy with some of the more high tone/rare tubes... and having one test that seemed to show cryo did not work for him, isn't it possible that some time later, when he finally tried Cryotone tubes that he changed his mind? And from my experience with JJ tubes being OK, but not brilliant, it seems pretty likely that Cryotone is really onto a good cryo method. But whatever the final reasons, some pretty serious tube heads claim Cryotones are some of the best sounding tubes many on that thread had heard.

I am just suggesting that Brad's turn from looking at cryo as another thing to be pissed off at, and later coming to love Cryotone tubes, may be just plain old learning through research and listening, resulting in more realizations of what he likes.

I am surprised he has not responded to all this speculation, maybe he lost a bunch of thread notifications with his name changes on the forum.

Anyway, it is all a lot of fun to me!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #40 - 06/19/22 at 11:40:49

Wonderfully written Will.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 06/19/22 at 13:21:40

Wow, artfully laid out Will, and applicable to so much than just tubes. I’ve tired to always operate from a perspective that what I know, or think I know could be, or is wrong.

The scientific method is rarely applied correctly, and even if it is, the motives should always be considered.

Thank you for taking the time to contribute more than just a knee jerk reaction.

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
spyder1
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 06/19/22 at 17:34:22

Will,

In three sentences, can you simplify your 21 paragraph post, as to what you mean?

"Some people like to hear themselves talk!"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #43 - 06/19/22 at 17:39:34

I think the last three sentences might sum it up.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 06/19/22 at 19:08:10

OH how I've tried to avoid posting on this thread!  But Will, buddy, it's all your fault...

Quote:
The Cryotone cryo systems, by appearances, are developed specially for each tube they work on...  would they be able to do something more for the metal base... we don't know.

I had two GZ34 Metal Base at one time and had this very conversation with Don.  It became very obvious that to purchase a GZ34, take it apart so as to determine what adjustments would have to be made to the process would be pointless.

As to "would they be able to do something more for the metal base", that will remain an unknown.  However I did compare the GZ34 Metal Base to the 5AR4-WC.  That for me is now a "known", unquestionably so.  That lead me to sell one of my GZ34 Metal Base.  

Now please don't think that I'm trying to change anyones mind on the "cryo craze", or change the mind of those that feel NOS is still the benchmark that properly cryogenically treated tubes simply cannot match.  I am not! Here's why...

I still have one GZ34 Metal Base.  I will be selling this one as well.  So I'm extremely happy to see that there is a market for it. Oh, yes, in case you're wondering, no I won't follow the trend of extremely high pricing on these BUT, it won't be cheap either.

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 06/19/22 at 19:38:42

JOMAN, what did the wathen-cryotone 5ar4 do that the gz34 did not or were there any differences?

Spyder1, I 100% agree with your request and sentiment. Succinct, concise and brevity are writing styles I appreciate, otherwise I lose interest. I still consider audio a casual hobby that brings me peace and comfort. I'm not willing or interested in reading long explanations like I would for other interests: communication development, leadership, and theology. That's me...no judgement on anyone else.

Will, if it's in your writing repertoire, a summary of your longer narrative at the beginning of your post would be most helpful.

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 06/19/22 at 19:53:27

JOMAN wrote:  It became very obvious that to purchase a GZ34, take it apart so as to determine what adjustments would have to be made to the process would be pointless.  

Why? I'm assuming you think it would be very expensive to buy such tubes as the gz34, plus who would want to destroy an excellent and rare tube. However, there are many broken, used-up, and otherwise useless tubes of renown that could be attained cheaply. Couldn't these tubes be examined for the proper cryo treatment?

Or, could it be that there isn't a plentiful enough of a market for such tubes? If cryo does lengthen tube life, the market would be significant. I would love my Mullard EL34 f2 tubes to last 3x longer. I'm also guessing that cryotone didn't want the liability of damaging such expensive tubes.

This brings me to a final question. Is there a gear mfr who's making use of cryo-ed componentry for their amps, preamps, etc? Can potentiometers be cryoed... they're notorious for wearing out?

Thoughts? Short answers please.  :)

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 06/19/22 at 20:21:56

Quick update.  I'm only understanding you guys 42% of the time.

Smiley

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 06/19/22 at 20:37:48

Thanks Dr3wman and Lon.

Spyder1 and Safebelayer,

Sorry my post was offensive to you. A big part of why my posts tend to long is that I have very rarely learned anything that helps my audio experience from a 3 sentence post. And to me, that is the only reason to be here, to try to help each other learn, hopefully helping us get better sound. Looking over the information in my first three paragraphs of this post you did not like, I counted 11 different, but interconnected points... And that is just the beginning of saying a lot of related things that to me tie together toward saying more than the words, hopefully for some, providing more useful information due to supporting story and context.

For me, putting ideas forward without meaningful context offers little useful information. And if it is not useful, why write it?  For example, posts like: "I love this tube. It is the best I have ever heard. You should buy it." These are three useless lines to me without context of what the tube sounds like in comparison with others of the same type, others of different types.... without knowing how the writer's sonic tastes lean, their system/room setup, other tubes in their chosen tube set, source, general system qualities....

Even reading into a number of folks on this forum I have been pretty familiar with the preferences and systems of for a long time, and whom I know listen deeply... like say Lon or Steve D...I know how their rooms and tastes lean a little differently than mine, giving me context for how to "read between the lines" as I try to suss out how whatever they are recommending will suit me. And these two generally give pretty good context beyond my knowing them, their setups, and preferences.

Whereas absolutist commands about "audio reality" like my hypothetical 3 line tube recommendation above, worthless to me. So there is little doubt that my posts tending toward fuller context and related information, is in part a reaction to so many audiophile posts that are cryptic, and who's "information" runs on the assumption that the writing and info are relatively absolute, and the poster is advanced enough that they can make a proclamation that this tube is so good in their setup, that it would work really well in any context....to me, this is intrinsically wrong!

That said, no doubt, if I were a more skilled writer, I could probably make my 21 paragraph post a few paragraphs shorter... but would that really solve it for you??? If you imagine that post could be consolidated into 3 sentences, my guess is that you did not really read it, and if so, what I have to say does not suit you or seem worth your time. And of course, if this is the case, you could just not try to struggle through my thoughts in the future...right? Smiley

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 06/19/22 at 22:08:49

Will,

Your posts aren't offensive to me. They're way too long for me to stay interested. Others love your detailed explanations. I was just asking for a brief summary of the tidbits, then go into the explanation... Cliff's Notes so to speak.

I apologize for not communicating that more clearly.

Until next time...

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #50 - 06/19/22 at 22:30:23

Will,

Quote:
And to me, that is the only reason to be here, to try to help each other learn, hopefully helping us get better sound.

I have been on this forum for some time now and have always found your insights valuable in the manner in which you have expressed yourself.  Unfortunately, it seems that the atmosphere of the forum is changing.  Mixed in with the meaningful posts or the posts from members who ask questions with the intent of benefiting from the experience of others are posts from those who's intent is nothing more than to be argumentative.

There have been a number of members, long term and short term who's posts I have enjoyed reading.  But there are a couple who's lack of respect for others I find intolerable.  

For that reason I now off this forum.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 06/20/22 at 00:30:31

Hey Safebelayer,

When you said you "100% agreed" with Spyder1's snarky comments, that got me thinking you agreed in general with him. Your more personal explanations I got too, but the theme appeared pretty close... Sorry if I got that wrong. It did get a little weird for me when you both had instructions for how you want me to be different than I am in my writing, presumably since you are not interested, or are unwilling to use your time to try to learn from my stories as I tell them. That is just fine with me if you are not up for reading my posts, but that you are advising me how I should think/post I find a little bizarre.

I am also sorry it is difficult to hold attention and interest enough to read my admittedly long running posts. But as you know, it is hard to get into the deeper stuff that can help create a more enjoyable musical experience without meaningful context. Sure we can pass around quick opinions posing as "facts" but do you ever learn much from them??? And like I alluded to earlier, I do this deeper posting in part because I had to struggle so much in the past, and made loads of mistakes in starting to find my own musical path... a big reason for this being that many posts generally did not go much past the surface back then.

If we really want to get good sound, clearly it takes deepening knowledge and experimentation. Otherwise, without a lot of luck, with fastlane cursory involvement, we will still be buying loads of tubes, cables, wires, front ends.... more or less staying full blown players on the perpetual audio merry go round. Since this is not my thing... other than the occasional tube, wire, or parts needed to take experiments deeper, it often takes months, or even years for me to buy something new. I just keep making what I have better instead, and learn a lot from this which you really can't learn in many other ways. So just hoping to help others figure out their own paths with less mistakes, based in real experience and real theory, and hoping to support more enjoyable musical experiences.

I get it though... in this world of texts, facebook, and hyper anxiety, including hyper time anxiety, thoughtful discussion is more and more often shunned. Being a bit of a throwback myself, I do find this conceptually defeating, that a post that might take 15 minutes or so to read is too long to settle down enough to try to learn from.... especially if it might present real potential for enhancing the music! But that is of course me.

I guess (hope) I will always reject cultured anxieties that tend to keep people hyper-reactive and unable to "take the time" to learn and grow more optimally, and in turn, to do more optimal work with less mistakes. Tricky times for sure, but to me that makes it all the more important to try to solve.

And my final apology, these posts take a lot of energy and thought to put together, and though I will keep your thoughts in mind, I am not inclined to go to more work than I already do on my posts in order to provide you with a summary.

Thanks Joman,

And I am sorry to hear we may be losing you, but I get it.... I guess you noticed you are not seeing a lot of Lon and I these days either... as well as a number of other thoughtful posters who are becoming more absent...

I too am sorry to see this forum that once stood above many others in terms of respect and passing realer information, degenerate with the influences of glib/anger/hatred/fear patterns promoted in culture by so many these days. I have been reluctantly coming around lately if I felt like I could contribute something meaningful, but, fewer and farther between for me. I almost quit a number of times so far over the last year or so, but I learned a lot from this forum and I guess I still feel a little more reciprocation is a good idea with hope it may grow healthier again.

But when getting on the forum is a bummer too much of the time, eventually, I can imagine myself growing totally over it. Over time, as you are aware, many of us have tried to "fight" sort of typical forum degeneration with relative respect and care for one another, while nurturing the forum's support of making audio better! But this has become harder and harder to hang with and I am sorry to hear that you too seem close to giving it up. As we all can see, the vibe of a healthy forum is innately fragile with so many people involved, and without respect for the cause of audio and each other, I guess there is likely little real hope for healthy forum survival.

So take care John and please keep up the deeper music study you are always in!

Will

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #52 - 06/20/22 at 00:48:46

POSTED

Quote:
Re: Question for experienced Decware owners
Reply #19 - 03/07/22 at 00:32:07 Thank you all  for your replies. Appreciate all your input.

Deposit for gear is worth the cost of admission to the Audio forums and website.

Decware's true strength is the knowledgeable people passionate for their gear

Sounds corny, but true.

Joseph

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 06/20/22 at 15:03:22

Quote:
The glaring contradiction was too much to pass up, and shared in a playful chiding fashion.  It’s very far from being a “calling out”. It’s more a poke in the ribs with a slap on the back, and a haha.

I was rather surprised that no one picked up on the great irony of Brad’s post.  Of course it’s possible he is referring to some other era of cryo treated tubes.  But even that begs the question that if Brad has such strong opinions about the hustle nature of cryo treatment, then how does he reconcile that with his enthusiasm for Cryotone tubes?  Not saying it can’t be reconciled, just that it has not yet in his posts.

Is the Cryotone process dramatically different from all other cryo treatments?  And is that manufacturing difference provable by someone independent of Cryotone?  Or is this a classic case of the audiophile placebo effect?  Has Steve’s enthusiasm for Cryotone bewitched Brad?  Or is there something fundamentally different with Cryotone?

No sweat at all. Its very simple:

1. My original stance was based on 2 internet articles and nothing else. I had no personal experience with cryo tubes, other than one GZ32 in those days. I noticed no differences in my CSP3, then again I couldn't make anything close to a valid comparison because I had no other GZ32 rectifiers. So, in effect I was merely stirring things up and being a smartass. Every once in awhile it's fun to have a bit of a jolt here instead of sleepwalking through the day.

2. Indeed, Steve's input on Wathen Cryotone made enough of an impact that I ordered a few [5AR4, 6SN7, 12AU7 long plate, ECC88's]. The CSP3 received the full complement, the ZR2 got the 12AU7 long plate. I previously had a 1958 Mullard GZ34 fat base, 1944 RCA VT-231 gray glass, and a 1969 Amperex 6922. [No, I didn't bother to take the iterative approach, I want to hear full impact or go home]. Within 30 secs. I noticed a whallop of a difference, made me sit straight up. Everything was smoother with more detail, top to bottom. No sharp edges anywhere. Clarity very noticeably increased. All that in itself helped check off my goal.....Now this is with a Chinese Line Magnetic 34ia integrated [preamp bypassed] that's been temporarily sitting in ever since the Taboo Mk 4 simply had to go....I can't wait for the Torii MK 5 to arrive for some more Wathen influences.

Brad

IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 06/21/22 at 00:09:14

Will - thank you for your thoughtful posts. I value context and nuance - and I would miss your long missives as they are informative and fun to read for me. I would not expect you to write an abstract or summary of your points, as that is not your point Smiley. One can simply choose not to read a long post if they so desire.

And I think the flow of this thread is instructive. When we hear things for ourselves, our minds change. As it should be. I like the NOS tubes I have right now, but based on the many people sharing the manner in which they have heard positive changes in their systems, I will be trying the W-Cryo tubes in the future. Cheers - Scott

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #55 - 06/21/22 at 03:41:43

Scott, Nice post.  

I, too, appreciate the valuable posts from Will and have benefitted from his perspective and experience.  Occasionally, I have printed out his entire post, which aids my focus and understanding - though it impacts my ink supply. Smiley

Your post was said so well, concise and supportive without shading anyone that I wanted to say thanks.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 06/21/22 at 19:17:38

Thank you Scott and Tony. It helps to hear when my posts are useful to folks. I appreciate it, and sorry for the ink and paper drain Tony!

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 06/21/22 at 19:44:38

Thank you, Will for helping some of us on the fringe catch a glimpse of the inner glow.

I don't always take the time to read longish posts, but yours, I do.
I am rewarded if I can grasp even a bit of what you express.
Light a candle and bless those who live by Cliff's Notes, because they often miss the best parts.

Honestly, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 06/21/22 at 19:55:56

Those who read the abstract of a larger study or analysis can then determine the relevance of the material for their particular needs. Apparently, that wasn't clear.

IP Logged
spyder1
Ex Member

Reply #59 - 06/21/22 at 20:08:36

***If I wanted to read someone's "Dissertation," I'll do a GOOGLE search!

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #60 - 06/21/22 at 20:42:53

Quote:
I'll do a GOOGLE search!

I strongly recommend not using that data trap for tyrants for your internet searches.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 06/21/22 at 22:08:54

Thank you Old DD, I am glad these experiential stories and thoughts can be useful!

Safebelayer, I get your idea, but also guess that is how your forum might be. Probably not mine though, especially when you can skim a long post to see if there are things you are interested in, or not read it at all. But I get what you were trying to convey.

And especially for Spyder, it sounds like I am somehow abusing you by writing as clearly and informationally as I can... And I don't get it... Do you feel like my making a more inclusive and complete post is forcing you to take maybe a quarter hour of your time to read it? As it has been said, if you don't want to read a long post, or if you do, isn't that up to you? Couldn't it just be letters on a virtual page if you don't want to devote your time to see if there are some useful ideas for you?

For me it is good to write. In the context of a writing thought process, stuff often comes out of mind that I had not fully explored or integrated. So I learn while writing, while hoping whatever discoveries I find might help others find their own discoveries.

Also for me, a more complete and natural musical experience is "medicinal" and "healing." And pretty much all of us old audio heads who have dug into putting together extra good system/rooms know, it can take decades of effort to find musical beauty that is realer, more fulfilling, and more entrancing across recordings.... So I hope we can help each other to get there easier. The basis of this forum to me.

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 06/21/22 at 23:02:01

And pretty much all of us old audio heads who have dug into putting together extra good system/rooms know, it can take decades of effort to find musical beauty that is realer, more fulfilling, and more entrancing across recordings..  

Will, I think this is an exaggeration. I have found very real and fulfilling systems that cost hundreds of dollars without much effort. I'm not alone in this. Yes, many of us have spent many years improving our systems. A real and fulfilling system can be simply accomplished, while still fine tuning. Decware was founded off this philosophy.

No?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 06/21/22 at 23:08:09

Sorry, I have no idea what you are disputing about what I said.

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 06/21/22 at 23:26:28

It doesn't take decades of effort to create a beautiful sounding system that is fulfilling. Is that more clear?

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 06/21/22 at 23:50:54

safebelayer,

Show some respect. Will is a talented and giving person, imparting wisdom on those that are willing to receive. If you are not interested then don't take part.
Too many immature people joining and staining this forum.

JD

IP Logged
spyder1
Ex Member

Reply #66 - 06/22/22 at 00:14:50

talented and giving person

Talented - ?

Giving person! What do you get when given a 21 paragraph post that "AIMLESSLY" rambles along! A waste of time.

IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 06/22/22 at 00:26:24

Some people are in a hurry and some are not. And sometimes the same person is in a hurry and other times not. There is no right or wrong here.

It is possible to put together a great system in a short span of time and with limited funds. I can certainly speak to the limited funds part (as I buy most of my components used). I enjoyed my early system immensely. However, as I have learned more and more over the past decade, my system has gotten better and better. Hobbies do take time and that is part of the fun.

We don't have to agree with everything, but decorum and kindness are always welcome.

As a side note, if one is looking for a non-tracking browser and search engine combo, I recommend Brave and Duck Duck Go. Cheers - Scott

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #68 - 06/22/22 at 00:26:59

JD,

So you're implying that Will can express an opinion but presenting a different one is rude. I'm sorry, I don't play safe space games. I have not insulted his character, but rather expressed I don't think his opinion is accurate.

Tell me more about my disrespectful comment.

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 06/22/22 at 00:30:39

Hey Scott,

What did you have before the Denafrips Ares? How do you like it compared to vinyl playback?

IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #70 - 06/22/22 at 00:38:54

I used a Marantz SA8005 as my DAC or a Cambridge Audio CXU. The Denafrips is more detailed and organic sounding. The Marantz was good but more forward sounding. The CXU is pretty similar to the Denafrips, but the Ares 2 is just more detailed and natural sounding - but I could live with any of the three DACs. The Ares 2 is a good investment. I'd love to try the Pontus 2, but that is a bit too expensive right now. So I like it a lot and it makes music quite engaging, however...

My vinyl rig just sounds better. I listen to the digital more out of convenience and a larger selection of music. However, when I want to sink into the music, I spin some records. It's not that it is more detailed or more dynamic, it's just that there is a beauty to the texture that is just enveloping.

I am all about aural texture - and with my current setup the vinyl is where it is at. That's also why I have alnico speakers, there is something about that alnico sound that I love (and as a guitar player too, love alnico guitar cabs). Cheers - Scott

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 06/22/22 at 00:45:17

Safebelayer,

Seems like our incompatibility in communication abilities and preferences are not just in how we put words together, but perhaps also in what the words mean to us. And especially within the very specific context of this forum.... potentially very high quality audio, where the same word can give a little different impressions than in other contexts. Relative to very high quality audio, words that express exceptionally real, complete and entrancing feeling musical experiences, to me, have a flavor that can fit musical experiences well, and mean a lot. Or they can be over-used in contexts that are more superficial seeming, and have little meaning.

So I guess I am not talking about how "fulfilling" a system can be coming from little or no historical reference to real sound in great music rooms where most every aspect of the music is present... like great performances in great sounding chapels and churches.

I am also not talking about very high end systems that can cost 100k or more and sound pretty bad in a bad room/setup.

That said, I have heard of people putting together very resolving and real systems (based on deeper audiophile standards) pretty quickly, but usually with very well thought out gear (that is often costly), and a room very well designed for bringing out that particular system (also often pretty costly).... And these choices made and implemented by people who have enough experience (decades usually) to pull this off. And even then, to get entrancing, complete, balanced and real sounding music across recordings is a notable rarity in my experience...

Then there are the many more of us who go along as we can, trying to build up an exceptional system and room over time, in part as a means to get more from less cost, and hopefully making it better and more complete as we go. My path for sure. And yes, my first steps into Decware's inner space and smooth detail were revelatory, but my system and room now are way beyond that in lots of important ways, and especially in terms of most things I put on working very musically and feeling complex and complete.

Look at Steve's development threads.... on my... so verbose.... and oh my, if he can keep making stuff that sounds that much better to him, why do that if there is not more to find, more to make the musical experience more fulfilling, more real, more captivating. I find we humans tend to stop trying if we think we "are there." And if we are still trying in higher end audio, it is probably still not complete, not fulfilling, not entrancing enough for us, so we seek more. And of course, in a broad sense, what that means to a person can vary, but in the world that we are in in this forum... hopefully less so.

So in my world of language and audio, and that of my most serious audio buddys, I hold to this line as real:

"And pretty much all of us old audio heads who have dug into putting together extra good system/rooms know, it can take decades of effort to find musical beauty that is realer, more fulfilling, and more entrancing across recordings...."

I have always been able to get some recordings to sound good once I got into pretty nice stuff in the 80s, but to get system/room resolution, space, speed, with all the subtle balances, to be as good or better than music in really good rooms, and entrancing across lots of recording styles... still working on that... but getting there.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #72 - 06/22/22 at 01:03:47

Why does everything need to end up in a argument anymore?

What has changed?  I've been hanging out around here for over 11 years and it hasn't been this contentious until the last year or so.

I suppose once the orders went way up and a lot of new folks came in the balance tipped towards a more in your face style.

If you don't like what someone writes, don't read it!

All I ask of everyone is to respect the other members, I have no problems with differences of opinions but please don't get out of line.

If I see anyone attacking someone with personal remarks, well I won't see them the next day.
That is everyone's one warning!

Donnie

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

0Re: So who fell for the cryo craze?
Reply #73 - 06/22/22 at 01:06:50

WILL,

TLDR.  

If you're going to write to someone specifically, who has expressed that brevity is appreciated, how does it make sense to do otherwise?

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #74 - 06/22/22 at 01:11:34

Donnie,

I don't recall there being an election for global messaging enforcement officer. Before you decide to pull the rug out from anyone, read the book The Coddling of the American Mind, by Jonathan Haidt

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #75 - 06/22/22 at 01:14:41

TLDR eh? Just ignore his posts then if they are too long to read. Will's posts are one of the reasons I come to this forum.

Though I don't come as often as I used to.  TATS. (Too argumentative/aggressive to stay).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #76 - 06/22/22 at 01:22:32

Donnie is the owner of the famous red Torii and an administrator here. He does get to advise posting manner and demeanor here because he has the hammer! Wink

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #77 - 06/22/22 at 01:34:48

Okay, to bring this around to cryogenic treatments again, I'm using the Cryotone 6SN7 and have managed to "manage" the brighter than neutral (by my standard) sound by changing others in the tube complements and by using the Cryotone 6P15 tubes Steve supplied them. The latter have finally opened up and they are a bit richer than the "stock" which helps to alleviate the 6SN7 tone. And a pair of Westinghouse 0B3 are giving them just the right support as well. I also added an Audio Magic M-1 fuse in my regenerator which all the cool kids over at the PS Audio forum are trying out and have to say that is the best (and most expensive) fuse I've ever used and the nice icing in the system cake here.

So. .. as this all seasons in and settles in I'm getting the benefits of the Cryotone tubes and a tone signature that is almost just right. When I pop in my other favorites I get a bit better tonal balances, but a bit less clarity and dynamics, so there's always trade offs.

Next week or possibly this weekend. . . I'm going to swap out the Tesla regulation tube 0A2 variant I am using for the input tubes with a pair of RCA 0B2. I haven't messed with these input tube regulation tubes for over a year, maybe near two. It's time, and that may be the "ticket." One never knows, do one?

I have been working on my system for going on three decades. . . and it gets incrementally better as Will notes. And . . . I think the Sarah 300B when it arrives moons from now (this week I am going to write a check to pay off my house so that will help it be financially possible in the future) there will be new sonic mountains to climb.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 06/22/22 at 02:29:55

Thanks for moving the thread closer to track Lon... And thank you all for your support of my posts and intents. And not least, thanks to our fearless moderator for his insights.

I just have one more thing to say off topic and I am done. Smiley

Safebelayer. I often start a post responding directly to a person if their writing creates the context that leads to whatever I hope to say. But I rarely think of my posts as specifically to anyone. There are thousands of hits on this forum from folks who rarely, if ever post... (many coming from Google searches Spyder)... so I don't tend to imagine I am writing for just you or anyone else SB. I am not sure, but I think I recall a little over 3000 hits on this thread when I first wrote the post that got you and Spyder talking about how you thought I should improve my posts. So something like 1000 hits in several days, and how many posts in that time?

And as I have said, as have others, if my posts are TLDR or whatever for you, that is your opinion and fine... just don't read them. But if you don't read them, is it really helpful to the cause of great audio to comment on them?

To me, whatever drives your thing about TLDR, is your thing, and not mine, so please quit trying to put that on me. If you don't like my posts, I am fine with that.

Will

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 06/22/22 at 08:40:15

Will, just keep on sharing your insights, they are invaluable to many of us here on the forum. I have benefited immensely from your deep dives and years of experience.

FWIW, I am enjoying a few of the Cryotone tubes in my 25th Anniversary modified CSP3. Should be receiving a pair of OA3 regulator tubes to try out in the Zen Mystery Amp next week.

Enjoy the ride folks and insights of others.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Melvin
Ex Member

Reply #80 - 06/22/22 at 12:50:54

Audio forums in general have become much more combative and rude over the past couple of years. I have hope this friendly and informative one remains so (Donnie!). Will, count me among the others who've benefitted from your sharing. Peace.

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 06/22/22 at 14:08:46

Hey Will,

Though I’ve been posting here for only a couple of years, I’ve been soaking in your thoughts and ideas for many years.  Guys like you have motivated me to continue moving my system forward a little bit here and little bit bit there.  I’m even thinking about popping the hood on my CSP3 and doing some tinkering……..we’ll see.

Anyway, thanks for all of your outstanding posts over the years.  

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 06/22/22 at 14:56:02

Amen to Lon and Will!  Both of you as well as others having been very helpful.  I tend to ignore the None Value Added/Slam posts! Brad and Donnie, I do appreciate the humor you provide to this forum.

Bob

Omega SAMS,Altec 604 8K, Liionidas Silver 10/W-15,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800, SFDBs and future STR-1002)
  IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #83 - 06/22/22 at 14:56:32

I was seriously considering petitioning Steve on the possibility of adding a new section on this forum, “The Crying Room”, where feelings reign supreme and are the determinant of outcomes.

Unfortunately not a good idea though.

I find thin skin beyond exceedingly annoying and actually a threat to national security, as it is what it is.

Brad

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #84 - 06/23/22 at 01:38:22

Ok, I responded to the curiosity regarding the about/face from my op to my recent findings.

Any comments??

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 06/23/22 at 02:19:38

Quote:
on the possibility of adding a new section on this forum . . .

In that direction, an alternative most pertinant to the situation obtaining on the forums in the last year or so would be to have a "Romper Room for young teens with behavioral issues - who are in fact just ill mannered grumpy men."

Those chafing under the tyranny of adult civility and social decorum, those who are so directly 'in touch with their inner 13 yr. old brat,' would have a place to go where they can carp and whine and shoot spitballs and throw chairs to their puerile heart's content, with out suffering the annoyance of having others in the audience telling them to sit down and be quiet, because the rest of them are trying to pay attention and learn something.

IP Logged
jec3504
Ex Member

Reply #86 - 06/23/22 at 02:58:31

Brad,

Think I understood before you explained yourself.

Question: any thoughts on the differences between Cryotone rectifiers? Have you tried both in your CSP3?

Thanks,

Joseph

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #87 - 06/23/22 at 03:34:20

Hey Joseph,

Sorry, Ive only tested the 5AR4 in my CSP3. I had liked the Mullard GZ34 fat base for its liquidity particularly in the midrange, so it was reasonable to follow up with the Cryotone 5AR4. I did purchase a pair of Cryotone 5U4G’s, but I have those set aside for the arrival of the Torii.

Thanks for asking, again I’m sorry I can’t answer this one.

IP Logged
tempest62
Ex Member

Reply #88 - 06/23/22 at 03:37:27

Quote:
In that direction, an alternative most pertinant to the situation obtaining on the forums in the last year or so would be to have a "Romper Room for young teens with behavioral issues - who are in fact just ill mannered grumpy men."

Those chafing under the tyranny of adult civility and social decorum, those who are so directly 'in touch with their inner 13 yr. old brat,' would have a place to go where they can carp and whine and shoot spitballs and throw chairs to their puerile heart's content, with out suffering the annoyance of having others in the audience telling them to sit down and be quiet, because the rest of them are trying to pay attention and learn something.

Perfect.

Romper Room, The Crying Room……either way, the thin skinned can go play and cry, wheeze, and whine there.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #89 - 06/23/22 at 04:31:04

to those that choose to "argue" about opinion's - it's an OPINION and everyone is entitled to their own!  If you don't agree - OK, but that doesn't make either party right or wrong - it's an "opinion".

the other point some folks on this forum seem to miss from time-to-time, is that there are no absolutes when it comes to "hearing" (or most things for that matter).  
Hearing is a "perception".  And furthermore, it is an individual perception.  Everyone hears a little bit different and has different bias', priorities, things they consider important, specific things they listen for, etc.  This alone insures that we are not all going to hear the same thing.  You can not tell somebody that they do not hear something, if they think they do.  If they think they hear it - they do.  You cannot tell them they don't - it's a perception.  And there are just as many reasons why double-blind testing is not 100% reliable as there are reasons for justifying it.  It's kind of like an "eye witness".  History, statistics and facts have shown time after time, that eye witnesses are very unreliable.

And as for cryo treatment... it is a real science.  It has been used for years (and still is) to treat gears and other metal components in internal combustion engines, transmissions, axles, etc. as well as countless other components.  The before and after results of cryo treatment can be documented under a microscope.  Vacuum tubes for sure have metal components in them, along with glass and various materials for the base.  I'm sure they are subject to the same "changes" when they are cryogenically treated.  Does it make them sound different?  Only the individual listening can answer that question.

I suspect, that a lot of the mistrust and bad rap given to tube cryo treatment, is due to outright lies about actually having cryo'd the tubes and/or the cryo treatment was not done properly.

You can't just dip a component in a vat of liquid nitrogen for a few seconds, pull it out and say it was "cryogenically treated".  The component being treated has to be brought down in stages in a controlled manner; x amount of time at x temp, then lowered another x amount and held at that temp for a certain period of time until you reach the desired negative temp.  Same thing applies when the component is being brought back up to room temperature - it must be done in a controlled fashion over some period of time.  And the process is different for each component being treated - if it is to be done right and produce the desired alteration to the metal involved.

In the case of vacuum tubes, to be ideal, there is likely a different process for each tube type, i.e. 6922, 12AX7, EL34, KIT66, etc. because each has different amounts of various metals.  Developing the individual process for each tube type and the actual process of cryo treating takes time and time = $$.

I bought a ton of tubes from Ron at Cryoset before he passed on.  I have only had 1 tube, purchased from Cryoset go bad prematurely.  One time  I tried to engage Ron in the discussion about cryo treatment on tube sonics.  Ron was too smart to fall into that trap!  He did tell me one time, that he believed cryo treatment weeded out bad tubes that might have bad or weak joints.  As for what I would hear... well I would have to decide that for myself.  Ron was a smart man!

So take a chill pill dudes and dudettes.  If somebody starts a thread with "everybody who fell for that...... is an idiot".  They're obviously looking for a fight/argument.  It's so easy to be argumentative and combative in virtual space - much tougher to do when eye-to-eye and toe-to-toe.  We should all honor that person by politely ignoring their post and not responding at all - they'll get the message eventually...
Smiley

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #90 - 06/23/22 at 05:41:14

Maybe this, non cryo, discussion would be best conducted in another thread. I'm as guilty as anyone for getting and keeping things off topic here. For those that aren't aware of what I just said it's called ownership...try it sometime, it's a great thing to do.

That said, Maddog, good points on having different opinions. It's not a threat to personal safety. Even the occasional sarcastic comment, "talking to hear oneself", is not creating a safety issue for the individual or our trusted friends here in the threads. What does that mean? It means we don't have to stand up for them as if they're being assaulted. For the individuals who receive such responses, there is not a personal threat to your well being. We can all be resilient. If you feel it's threatening, do some personal work or, at the very least, read a book like The Cuddling Of the American Mind, Jonathan Haidt.

As for ignoring someone's "aggressive/rude" post, it can be ignored, for sure. Good point. It can also be respectively addressed privately, PM. For those who don't know how this is done, here's an example. "When you said thus and such (what they actually said), I felt uncomfortable (or some other actual feeling, not judgement). Would you please not say that again?" Keep the personal discussion personal and outside of the threads and we'll avoid the hijacking of a thread. Again, I own my part in that .

Every communication venue has an opportunity to grow in communication ability. This thread and others on Decware forums are no different. Avoidance breeds insecurity which leads to dysfunctional engagement.

Peace to everyone. For those that are interested, I'm creating a new thread, "resilience and differing opinions". Feel free to take your disagreement, agreement, or harsh comments there. We can get back to the subject at hand, "cryo and is it worth it"

Brad, thanks for staying this thread, it's a good discussion topic.

IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #91 - 06/23/22 at 06:52:47

Cryo treatment.

It's a process that affects the structure of metal and affects the other non metallic parts. I think we all agree with that, yes? Steve directed us to a study that explains the process. Btw, saying something is a science doesn't make it fact, just that something is being observed and conclusions drawn (generally, as a best guess). Hopefully we can all agree on that too.

What certainly is not fact is whether it improves anything in the vacuum tube arena. This is the science. We are individually experiencing/observing the sound and durability. It's perception. To that end, this thread and others, are useful to this listener to the extent whatever is stated resonates with me. Thank you to each person who has contributed their experience. Unlike our venerable leader, no one claimed expertise, just personal experience. Great stuff.

Maddog, I believe this thread did not start with "whoever fell for the cryo craze is an idiot." It started with just a question.

Has anyone directly compared the cryotone 6922 to an amperex 7308 or equivalent Mullard? What was your experience with sound differences? What type of sound presentation do you want?

Thanks

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 06/24/22 at 03:04:26

Has anyone directly compared the cryotone 6922 to an amperex 7308 or equivalent Mullard? What was your experience with sound differences? What type of sound presentation do you want?

As soon as my freshly ordered Cryotone ECC88/6922 tube arrives, I will be comparing it to various Amperex, Mullard, and Telefunken 6922’s I have on hand, and, of course, to the stock Russian 6N1P in my CSP3.

It’s difficult to describe the type of sound one is working to achieve, but in general terms I’m looking for as much detail, resolution and airiness as possible, without any analytical, bright, edgy, grainy, harsh, thin sound that is so difficult to avoid.  I also want excellent imaging and sound staging, with a good dose of the liquid, lush, smooth midrange that many are working to achieve.

As far as cryo treatment goes, I couldn’t care less whether or not a tube has been cryoed.  The only reason I decided to dip my toes in the Cryotone pool is because Steve said the tubes sounded excellent.  So far, having used three Cryotone 6SN7-WC tubes for nearly two months, I am in agreement with Steve.  We’ll see how well the Cryotone ECC88-WC tube fairs over the coming days and weeks.  I will also be comparing my go-to Sophia 274B Aqua rectifier to a Cryotone 5AR4-WC rectifier.  

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 06/24/22 at 04:12:37

Awesome! I look forward to reading about your observations. Have you ever tried the nos SED 5u4c? I find it gives clarity and richness.

Thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print