Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 07:47:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DIY'd Betsy Baffle - FREE - Local Pickup in NC (Read 1869 times)
CJinArcadia
Verified Member

DIY'd Betsy Baffle - FREE - Local Pickup in NC
06/05/21 at 18:47:45

These are the first prototype baffles that I made to see if I liked the open baffle sound, and especially the Betsy. They aren't too pretty, but they work! (See my thread in the DIY section for more info on my journey with these.) The baffle and base are made from 1/2" MDF that has been glued and clamped together so that they are 1" thick. The back supports are just from an old 2x4 I had laying around. On this version, the driver would mount to the front side of the baffle.

Rather than break them up and toss them in the trash, I thought that there might be someone relatively local who wanted to try the sound of a Betsy in an open baffle. These were inspired by the low barrel baffles by Caintuck Audio, and are close to the same size as those. So, if you went this route and liked the sound (but not the looks), you could then get in contact with Randy (Caintuck) or Steve (Decware) and get a pair of their awesome baffles (or make a nicer pair yourself).

These DO NOT include the Betsy drivers! You would need to buy those separately from Doug of Wild Burro Audio.

They also do not include binding posts or hookup wire. (For $40, I'd be willing to buy and install the same style post that I originally used, and get them wired up.)

Again, no shipping! Pick up near Winston-Salem, NC.

Chris

" alt="" title="" border="0" />

Raspberry Pi/allo DigiOne streamer/server; MHDT Orchid DAC, Unique Audio tube pre; diy Curtis Spud amp; anticable & diy cables; diy Betsy(alnico) & Buck speakers
  IP Logged
vdebart
Verified Member

Re: DIY'd Betsy Baffle - FREE - Local Pickup in NC
Reply #1 - 07/23/21 at 16:40:55

Hi ..I think you did a nice job ..any chance you have a template?

thanks vince
videos@msn.com

IP Logged
vdebart
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 07/23/21 at 16:43:12

what did you think of the sound?

IP Logged
CJinArcadia
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 07/25/21 at 13:32:48

Sorry,  no template. On this first prototype I simply cut the sandwiched mdf into rectangles reflecting the overall width and height that I wanted. I then determined how wide I wanted the top and bottom to be and marked them. A string and pencil were used to draw the arcs; saber saw used to cut the arcs. I know that there is a way to calculate correct radius for the length of string, but I just used trial and error with length of the string and placement of the string relative to the edge. I used a router jig to cut the holes. On subsequent versions, I used a much larger jig to router the arcs which gave a much cleaner and uniform curve. (Trying to cleanly cut the arcs with a saber saw was a real challenge.)

I really liked the sound, but decided to go a step further and explore doing the Betsy & Buck idea (which I like even better.)

If you are going to make a pair, I suggest making them similar to the ones that Randy (Caintuck Audio) makes, or larger. My take, in the case of this design, is that bigger is generally better. Take note that the Decware baffles with a similar shape are significantly larger.

Chris

Raspberry Pi/allo DigiOne streamer/server; MHDT Orchid DAC, Unique Audio tube pre; diy Curtis Spud amp; anticable & diy cables; diy Betsy(alnico) & Buck speakers
  IP Logged
CJinArcadia
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 07/25/21 at 13:45:27

This pair of prototypes is still available, but I’ll be getting rid of them around September 1, 2021.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print