Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 15:16:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Add additional inputs to ZStage? (Read 2452 times)
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Add additional inputs to ZStage?
05/27/21 at 17:35:51

I seem to recall this being asked before, but I couldn't find the thread.

Is it possible to add an additional pair of RCA inputs to the ZStage so that it can accommodate two sources?

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
rrwwss52
Verified Member

Re: Add additional inputs to ZStage?
Reply #1 - 05/28/21 at 16:43:00

Not a direct answer, but you could install an A/B switch prior to the input connection.  I have a tube buffer with both XLR and RCA inputs, and the manufacturer cautions against connecting both simultaneously.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/28/21 at 18:50:55

Tommy,

If you would like a built in setup, it is possible. Mine was an early ZStage, but it looks more-or-less like the same design as now. I have two inputs with a switch. So there are three pairs of RCAs on the back next to each other, one for output and two for input and a switch.

Years ago, but as I recall, Steve was reticent to change the design in this way, so I can't say how he would feel about it now. The most transparent way seemed to be mounting the input switch in the middle of the back, close to both input RCA pairs, and the added input RCAs are mounted between the stock RCAs and the new switch. Also this seemed to be the least confusing setup as the bias and input switches look the same but do different things, so separating them seemed good. Also, there was more room to fit it all in on the back, where the front is notably tighter inside. Having this switch on the back is not as elegant as Steve's base designs are but seemed the best solution all around, and I was perfectly fine with this setup, so Steve agreed to do it when I sent it in for some cap changes.

So if this sounds interesting, my advice would be to call Steve, and see how he feels about it.

Will

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/28/21 at 18:57:15

Will, thanks very much for your detailed thoughts.

I'll reach out to Steve, but in the meantime, do you recall - ballpark - what he charged you for this modification?

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #4 - 05/29/21 at 00:22:11

Tommy,

You really need to see the cost because the other option is to buy the ZSB switchbox.  That not only gives you 4 inputs, but 2 sets of outputs.  I run one set of outputs to my ZSTAGE, and the other set goes to my subwoofer.

If you have no need for the extra set of outputs, or don't feel you would ever use more than 2 sets of inputs, then the switch box has no added benefit for you.  

Will’s ZSTAGE with 2 inputs is a nice feature that I could see being very useful.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/29/21 at 06:03:56

Tommy,

Sorry, I could not find an email invoice, and I really can't remember enough to hazard a guess... too many things since filling my brain!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print