Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie Alert... (Read 3475 times)
Shep
Verified Member

Newbie Alert...
05/23/21 at 21:59:51

First time poster, long time lurker.
I was most recently drawn here by the Lii Audio F-15 open baffle project and have recently purchased a pair of F-15s and have them installed on temporary baffles while awaiting wood for permanent baffles (Lowes Birch Butcher Block)
This moning I got an SE84C+ on ebay that should be here by the end of the week (I'll try and post a link after my post limit is met)

It comes w/out tubes and so far I've ordered 1 x Svetlana SV83 Matched Pair and 1 x Russian 6N1P/6N1P-EB to get started and see if the amp is in working condition.
So first question as a soon to be Decware owner...I found a CBS branded 5UAGB black base rectifier tube in a box of miscellaneous tubes that was given to me years ago.  All markings are in orange lettering indicating "Made in USA" and '803' marked vertically on the base.  Will this work on the SE84C+?
Assuming amp is operational, I hope these tubes will get me up and running and provide a basis for evaluation, then persue other options if necessary.
TIA for any insights or info regarding regarding this rectifier tube

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: Newbie Alert...
Reply #1 - 05/23/21 at 22:39:38

Hi Shep. Welcome to the forum.

Don’t you mean “5U4GB”?

They are fine to use, but do you have a way to confirm that they are functional? A tester?

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Shep
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 05/24/21 at 13:04:52

Thanks for the reply Geno...yes 5U4GB (that's why the 'newbie' alert).
I have no way to test & I've never used the tube.  Can it damage the amp if the tube is bad?

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #3 - 05/24/21 at 14:51:47

If the tube is bad, one of the internal fuses will blow. There are three internal fuses, and one at the power plug.

Since you got the amp used, with a good rectifier, if you can't get the amp to work, check all of the fuses first.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Shep
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 05/24/21 at 22:10:44

Thanks for the assistance Geno, much appreciated.
The internal photos look good, so hopefully a set of tubes is all that's needed to get her up and going.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294189304247

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #5 - 05/25/21 at 00:33:15

Shep,

From the pictures, it looks like the amp is in good shape. But the seller does state that it is not working. But still a pretty good price. Could be that simply the 3A fuse at the power plug is blown. Check it and see. If not, send it in to Decware and let Steve test it.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/25/21 at 00:49:06

That looks like a great deal.  He may have sold as "non working" since he didn't have tubes to test with.  Either way, great find!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #7 - 05/25/21 at 07:01:32

Shep.....congratulations on a great find !!  I love the look of the piano white amp and really want one.  I would have scoffed that up in a heartbeat.  If the blown  fuse is the only issue..then you really scored.  Otherwise  I would send it into Decware and have Steve go thorough it, maybe even do a few small upgrades, and have him put in the tube compliment.

Just a thought....but try doing a Decware search for the name of the previous owner.   Maybe some posts will pop up that will give you an idea if that owner was having issues with the amp, and came to the forum members for advice, just like the way you are doing.

Good luck and welcome to the Decware community with a great bunch of audiophiles who are truly aces!!  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Shep
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 05/25/21 at 15:50:40

Good idea to do a search, but no luck here or elsewhere finding anything from the original owner.

Like you I'm a fan of the white chassis but I'd have bought it in pink at that price!!

I figure, worst case scenario, it'll have to go back to Decware for evaluation and/or updates and renewal of the lifetime warranty and I still come out ahead at the sale price.  However, given that the internal photo shows no signs of abuse or distress and the overall condition seems very good, I'm hopeful that a new set of tubes & perhaps a fuse replacement is all that's necessary...fingers crossed.

Thanks for the welcome...glad to be aboard.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print