Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 14:32:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any reason this tube would not work in a UFO? (Read 5664 times)
canonken
Seasoned Member

Any reason this tube would not work in a UFO?
05/18/21 at 01:31:08

I bought a few sets of these, but them in, turned on the amp, tubes started to glow, meters settled in as normal...but sound was very quiet, muffled and muted, like there was not...powering of the speakers.

They were fussy to put in (tight fit compared to stock tubes, new production JJ EL84s), and *might* not have been fully seated.

Before I try them again, any reason to think these would not work?

https://upscaleaudio.com/collections/power-tubes/products/ei-6bq5-el84

IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Re: Any reason this EL84 would not work in a UFO?
Reply #1 - 05/18/21 at 01:39:32

Hmmmm, 1 of the 4 has a very dark black area at the top (the right side one in the image).  This is one that went in the amp (one of the two channels...yes I installed both of them together).  I do not recall if it looked like this when I installed it, but there were no 'theatrics' when I turned it on.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Any reason this tube would not work in a UFO?
Reply #2 - 05/18/21 at 03:11:37

Any EL84 ought to work fine. But FWIW in my experience they don't sound nearly as good as the the 6P15P-type tubes.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/18/21 at 03:55:11

I bought these because there just does not seem to be a ton of interesting NOS EL84 and equivalent stuff out there (vs. tons of interesting NOW rectifiers and input tubes).

Understand on the sound preference - but curious if a tube is bad...or maybe they were not fully seated?

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/18/21 at 14:05:36

Those should work just fine. I've rolled several types of EL84, including old Yugoslavian Ei and they all work. I can't speak to that particular tube or to how you may have inserted them, but I can say that it can be a tight fit to get tubes in (gently rocking) when the amp is newer.

You mentioned that you purchased 2 pairs. Have you tried the other pair?

Thanks,
Richard

IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/18/21 at 14:17:19

I have not tried the others because I'm not sure if the amp killed them if not compatible.

When I say not fully inserted, talking maybe 1mm gap.

Tried again this morning after cleaning pins, fully inserted, same issue. I hear sound, but very very quiet and muted, muffled sound.

I'll email Upscale and see what they want.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 05/18/21 at 14:31:10

Is it possible they are actually, perhapps accidentally picked, EL83 (which are not directly compatible)?

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/18/21 at 14:34:39

Well that would be a big mistake as they sold me 84s!

Any way to tell visually?

Thanks!

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/18/21 at 14:46:11

When I hear very very quiet muted sound, I immediately think of the time I had the input switch switched to the other set of RCAs and it took me 45 min of trouble shooting to figure it out. So quick simple test: Can you try hitting your input switch to see if it is switched to the wrong inputs?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #9 - 05/18/21 at 14:47:37

They aren't EL83s. If they were they would do really bad things. I actually use EL83s in my UFOs but you need adapters. My guess is the tube(s) are bad.

IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/18/21 at 15:00:07

Morp, I switched between tubes and the others worked when reinstalled. So while I would never discount me being dumb, everything fine with other tubes installed.

What would EL83s do? Immediately burn out?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #11 - 05/18/21 at 15:40:12

I've never done it myself, but you can search the forums for "el83" to see others experiences.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #12 - 05/18/21 at 16:06:03

Canoken....I have no experience with your amp or that particular tube. But out of curiosity..... which grade of tube did you buy.....silver, gold, Platinum, or Kevin’s stash?   They test all their tubes hence the grading system....if that tube is a bit noisy to begin with and you bought the lower tier grade, maybe that could contribute to the issue you are having.  Just a thought.  

Hope this helps

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 05/18/21 at 17:20:11

Dom, I might not have been clear. Something is very wrong. They are putting out maybe 2% of the volume and the sound that is there is muddy and muffled.

Either the tubes are cooked or don't work with the amp.

There were no grades on these.

IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/18/21 at 18:42:21

Tried second set, same issue.

Either these tubes are not compatible or there is something quirky preventing them from working.

Has anyone found incompatible EL84s? Is that possible?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 05/18/21 at 19:49:00

Something is wrong. If these were true and functional EL84 there would be about the same volume as the stock tubes.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 05/18/21 at 19:56:10

Thanks for confirming I'm not crazy.

They have provided a RMA and I will return.

Any suggestions on other power tubes I can try?

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 05/18/21 at 20:31:28

I've found the tubes that Steve sells to be the best sounding power tubes. Look into NOS rectifiers and input tubes if you want to experiment. It is quite fun.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 05/18/21 at 20:41:51

Pursuitofnow is correct. The only other power tubes I have liked are the very first that Steve used, Sovtek SV83, the early ones made before Sovtek sold out last century. Look for the ones that have the big "S" in gold ink on them--they are the good ones, the ones with smaller "S" are not often the military version. These tubes I find to be slightly different than the ones Steve now supplies. A slightly different flavor. These are not easily found these days. But the most bang for tube-rolling buck are the rectifiers and input tubes (and voltage regulation tubes if you have a model which has them).

IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 05/19/21 at 00:53:56

Thanks!

I was hoping to have these for fun...but might just take the money spent on these and get a few more sets of what Steve sells.

IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 05/19/21 at 22:52:00

After a long thread on another forum - a lot of arguing over this with people claiming what will/might work/might not/won't work.  Very confusing and I am even more reluctant to try other EL84s in this amp.

Are there ANY other cases of 'real' EL84s not working in a UFO?  Are there other tubes that should be avoided (based on not working, not sound quality preference).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print