Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 09:06:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
UFO2 possible upgrade paths (Read 6479 times)
E045717
Verified Member

UFO2 possible upgrade paths
05/17/21 at 23:06:33

Wanted to pick some of your brains on maybe getting a good strategy for getting the most of my Decware purchase. So I have the UFO2 with modifications paired with my Klipsch Cornwall IV's. I enjoy the sound very much. I've read about some of the various boxes to increase bass, resolution, etc.  I wondered whether the best way to move ahead with Decware was to add the ZROCK or the others or would a more appropriate "upgrade" be to add another UFO2 or a Torii?  I have the phono stage on order. I listed to classic rock mainly on vinyl and use the Bluesound Node ocasionally (popping noise from the node has made me think of moving on to another DAC).  Noise continues even with a strip power conditioner.

Appreciate any input!

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: UFO2 possible upgrade paths
Reply #1 - 05/18/21 at 00:34:30

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Do you have any room treatments? Is adding a little treatment possible? If you can that I'm betting will be the best and best bang for the buck.

What cabling are you using? Maybe a weak link?

The Zrock2-25th is a great component! It's really increased my enjoyment of music.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
E045717
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 05/18/21 at 01:04:01

Using SVS cables. Seem to be good.  The equipment is in the living room but i may be able to get away with some room treatments. I need to do a little more research on that.

I noticed that when i turn up the music that it "thins" out a bit. Seems like my options were the ZBOX, ZROCK, and ZSTAGE.  The descriptions suggested a "fuller" sound.  

I enjoy what i have but based on what i read there are some ways to bump things up a bit. I'm going to look at the ZROCK some more.

Thanks for the response!

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/18/21 at 01:19:49

If you have some thinness and want a more full sound, the Zrock2 is the ticket.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/19/21 at 11:57:22

E045717,  if your cabling is SVS soundpath, these are your weak links. A couple years ago I made the mistake of buying their IC's, thinking an extreme budget big box store type of cable was a good idea.....they turned out killing the soundstage and making my previous system sound very thin, no detail and uninspiring. Flat as a pancake.

IP Logged
E045717
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 05/19/21 at 13:26:16

What would you recommend in it's place?

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/19/21 at 14:11:40

Oh boy thats another can of worms, but for performance vs. cost and value I would start with Steve's DSR-II IC's and Zenstyx speaker cables.

They will destroy SVS Soundpath anything.

After I experinced SVS, I cut them to shreds with an axe and smashed the connectors with a sledgehammer. Never bothered to even try to sell them.

IP Logged
E045717
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 05/19/21 at 14:18:44

I'll take a look. Thanks for the feedback!

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/19/21 at 15:24:05

If your system is thinning out with increased volume, suspect the cabling. I went from #14 silver plated to #8 SP. Big improvement in dynamics and hit.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
E045717
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 05/19/21 at 15:31:21

Appreciate it.  I've got a call in for Steve on Thursday to discuss. May end up getting some of his cables.

Thanks for the input!

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #10 - 05/19/21 at 22:54:51

Hi all, I am following this post as I am thinking of IC cables myself.  I was thinking that I would order the DAG cables until just now learning of the DSR-II.  Initially, I was thinking that could get by with the SVS, but this discussion has put that to rest.  Any comments on choosing the DSR-II over DAG?  Thanks.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
E045717
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 05/19/21 at 23:00:42

Interested as well.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 05/20/21 at 15:16:06

There are so many good cables that work with the Decware amps! Looking at my "extras" drawer I see Tara Lab RSC Reference, cyroset.com Version 2, PS Audio Lab xStream Reference silver, My Audio Cable (MAC) Silver, and Synergistic Research Alpha Sterling RCAs and WireWorld and Dyson Audio XLR, all of which I have used in the past and don't have a place for at the moment. (Probably should put some up for sale).

I'm using VooDoo Cable interconnects now and LOVE them but they are very expensive new and even used they take some courage to push the button on and order. Excellent cables though.

I've used Decware Silver Reference in the past as well. Good cables. . . I have just preferred others. At a certain point system synergy and personal taste both become deciding factors in cable choice.

If you can find a pair used a no-brainer choice is Granite Audio silver interconnects--these are phenomenal. Worth the price new, and rarely seen used.

The biggest surprise I have found in cable choice this past year is using AudioQuest coaxial component cables as interconnects, YIQ-5. Of course they are no longer made, but I found two sets used each for less than 100 dollars, about a quarter the original price. They are smooth and articulate and full-bodied; I use them in my audio-visual system in between ZROCK2 and CSP2+ and between CSP2+ and Taboo Mk IV (all three Decware components have the Mods.) Could not be happier with the sound. I just don't use the 3rd cable. Recommend trying these if you run across them.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
E045717
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 05/20/21 at 21:25:25

Update: Talked to Steve a bit today and he felt the ZROCK would work really well. We touched on many of the suggestions discussed above and all are very valid suggestions.  Room treatment to cables is all part of it.  Thank you all for your suggestions. I intend on addressing all of them to see where it takes me!

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #14 - 05/21/21 at 14:42:39

Hello EO45717,  Sounds like you have made progress, and I hope you will continue to post things to find/learn as you go forward.  For example, anything more on choosing the DSR-II over DAG? May your system become all it can be.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
E045717
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 05/21/21 at 16:07:59

i don't want to speak for Steve on cables and such but what I took away from our discussion is you start with one you like and then through trial and error search until you find the one that is best in your system.  Seems like it can be different for everyone.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #16 - 05/21/21 at 21:33:48

Thanks, E045717.  Much appreciated.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print