Send Topic Print
Ken Fritz Documentary (Read 2563 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Ken Fritz Documentary
05/16/21 at 08:38:13

I stumbled upon this documentary and just had to share it.  It’s about man’s journey to build the best speaker system/music room in the world.  It’s about an hour long, but to see what this guy accomplished out of a true passion for music is mind blowing.  27 years in the making.  His 27,000 vinyl collection is incomprehensible.  I can only imagine what it must sound like.  

Enjoy!!

https://youtu.be/4b2IOOhJmxw

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Ken Fritz Documentary
Reply #1 - 05/16/21 at 18:50:58

I quickly skipped around the video.  It didn't seem that he did any room treatment but I could have missed that.  He did seem to take TT isolation seriously though.  He had the $8000 version of an isolation platform whereas I use an $8 DIY version that does the same thing.  lol

It'd be fun to hook up one of Steve's Zen25s and a pair of OBs and A-B in his room.  

I bet he has one hell of a cooling bill!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #2 - 05/16/21 at 20:40:55

Archie..... he mentioned that the ceiling was constructed in a stepped transition, where the design was taken from a Japanese theatre for acoustics.  The foundation and walls were insanely thick ( I forget the figures).

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #3 - 05/16/21 at 22:32:24

Dom,

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed it. It was worth watching just for his TT setup 😳

It makes me glad to be into audio at present. You can do so much more with so much less now - equipment and money wise.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #4 - 05/17/21 at 00:33:23

Dom -  Thank you for providing the link to this video. Wow, pretty extreme attention to detail in every aspect. One shop I worked at in my audio history sold a lot of Krell and Thiel but not on that level. I never warmed up to Krell, though I did have one of their DAC's for a long time but it's built to last till the end of time. I hope Ken has enough years left to enjoy his family and his room/system. Me? Happy as heck with our Decware/Omega rig spinning away now as I type. Happy listening all, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #5 - 05/18/21 at 09:24:38

hdrider.....Your welcome.  Unfortunately he has come down with the debilitating disease ALS which only gives him 3-5 years left to live.  

I decided to subscribe to his channel and this was a new video that was just posted within the past 24 hours. As you watch this video you can see the disease is starting to take hold and it’s truly heartbreaking. His motor skills are declining and limit his movements, and he mentioned how it’s hard for him to eat. For a guy to endure a lifelong construction project out of his love for music, to then get diagnosed with a disease that will eventually sideline him is just unfair. My heart goes out to him and his family.  

BUT....I find this documentary inspiring.  He is the epitome of a true audiophile who has strived to find perfection in music, and will not let this diagnosis stop him from enjoying his true passion.  I was able to locate his handle on Audiogon where he is currently starting to sell off some of his vinyl collection. I will probably buy a few of his vinyl albums as a token of appreciation.  

It would be great if someone could setup a live feed like Steve does for Decfest, so everyone could experience and enjoy the music he plays from his room.  

https://youtu.be/nfuIKh1UaGU

Happy Listening!!
Dom

IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/01/21 at 16:33:47

Ouch, that 6min. video got me to shed a tear.

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Quad mono 303 (x2) + 33 + FM3.
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Thorens TD160 MKII + SME III tonearm. Ortophon OM10.
Oppo CD/DVD.
Celestion Ditton 66 studio.
Lii F15 in Betsy type OB.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print