Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 12:43:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thoughts on tidy speaker wire connections (Read 3591 times)
sfw
Verified Member

Thoughts on tidy speaker wire connections
05/13/21 at 23:03:44

I’m about to order some speaker cables for my future SE84UFO. What is the collective forum wisdom about speaker wire termination at the SE84UFO? It seems like banana plugs may be unwieldy, sending the cables skyward… maybe screwing down spades would be better? Thanks for any thoughts.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: Thoughts on tidy speaker wire connections
Reply #1 - 05/15/21 at 17:40:22

Some folks like the look of them coming straight up. Spades would work, but a lot of folks (me included) prefer the sound of bare wire. It really depends on what gauge wire you use though for that to be practical. I use the funky mapleshade speaker wire and it is small enough and designed to be connected bare wire.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 05/15/21 at 17:58:28

Banana cables are hard to deal with on the HR-1--at least for me so in one system I use bare wire (Mapleshade Audio as Geno uses) and in the main system I use spades on both ends with my PS Audio xStream PCOCC speaker cables.

I've always found banana connectors to be problematic wiht my amp and speaker connectors--mainly because of their input diameter or in the earlier days their flimsy plastic construction. I would use then now if I didn't have two pairs of HR-1 that aren't well suited for them on the cables I tried.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
duaneh
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 05/15/21 at 20:07:03

Mapleshade reommends bare ends, but they'll sell you spades or bananas.  Their Double Helix V.2+ sound great.

Decware SE84UFO25, ZROCK2, Cambridge Audio CXN V2 (with Modwright modifications), Klipsch Heresy IIIs, Forte IVs, Mapleshade Double Helix 2 speaker wire, Decware DSR I/Cs, Brickwall surge protector, DHC-1 and Audiocrast power cords, Qobuz/Roon
  IP Logged
sfw
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 05/15/21 at 21:02:23

Thanks all for your thoughts. Would you say it is correct that the binding posts accept bare wire of 12 gauge and higher (smaller)?

As for spades, what size should clear the posts? Do the posts have flats that could be used with smaller spades to prevent rotation?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 05/15/21 at 23:27:29

I ran my Mapleshade's as bare wire for years.
But as I started building more and more speakers I bought some "bolt on" banana plugs so it would be a little easier switching speakers and amps.
I didn't hear any sonic differences. But I may be deaf.

I think that it is interesting that so many of us use the Mapleshade products.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #6 - 05/15/21 at 23:47:34

Donnie, not too surprising because I used yours and Lon’s advice 4 years ago for the Mapleshade when I was looking for a speaker wire upgrade  ;)

And while we are talking about advice on good speaker wire, HK recommended the Duelund 12awg wire when I was looking for an upgrade from my sub amp to my bass drivers. Good stuff, and very reasonable. The fact that the mapleshade stuff is so weird to run, I’m still considering changing to the Duelund for my full rangers too.

By the way, I noticed that the new Western Electric audio manufacturers are selling hookup wire on their website. I wonder how it compares to the classic wire???

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/16/21 at 01:15:49

Geno,

While I have not heard the Western Electric wire myself, several friends have told me it has similar tonality to the Duelund tinned copper cables. Perhaps not as much detail. The 12g wire works well with both my Omega XRS SAHO speakers and the Caintuck Lii15 baffles.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #8 - 05/16/21 at 03:12:28

Roger,

How is your wire terminated on each end?

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/16/21 at 11:55:28

Hello Geno,

I just do bare wire connections to speaker terminals when I use the Deulund 12g wire. Just a twist to keep all the strands together. Easy peasey.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print