Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii MK4 (Read 5684 times)
Skip
Verified Member

Torii MK4
05/03/21 at 20:29:55

Hello everyone,

New to the site. I ordered my first Decware amp last night. A Torii MK4. After reading up on tube amps and watching Steve Guttenberg's various videos on these amps, I decided on this one.

I've been gathering various pieces of gear, mostly vintage solid-state, over the last ten years or so. I became enthused after a family member gave me an amp and tuner, a Sansui AU-7900/TU-5900. During the course of those years, I picked up a Fisher 500C. I had it completely re-built and fell in love with the sound, through a pair of Klipsch Forte 1's. I then picked up a Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp. I enjoy that as well. It's certainly different sounding than the 500C. Like most folks in this hobby, I have the itch to see what the next piece of gear might sound like.

So here I am, dug in for the long wait.

Cheers,
Skip

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re:  Torii MK4
Reply #1 - 05/03/21 at 21:35:59

Welcome here Skip.

I do want to make sure that you know that a Torii isn't a SET amp, it is a push pull amp.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Skip
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 05/03/21 at 22:26:58

Hello Donnie,

I don't write on the computer very much these days. Re-reading my comments, I see how it sounds. I should have put "tube amps" in place of "SET amps".  Thanks for the clarification.

And can you believe, I'm married to an "English" teacher?

Skip

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/03/21 at 23:46:07

Skip, haha I do it all the time. Terrible typist, I am.

Welcome aboard!

I've been seriously considering adding to my stable as well, and indeed it will be a brand spanking new Torii MK 4, decked with 25th anniversary mods [and will upgrade it further]. Will probably see it in 6 months or more. I had considered earlier going for a older used SE84UFO, but decided against it.....I already have a low powered Taboo MK 4 [SEP amp], very much beloved and will never let go of, and have ultimately decided on going for something altogether different which made more sense to me.

Now all I have to do is figure out which output transformers to order.

You only live once! No fear.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/04/21 at 00:47:19

As a ZMA owner I'm curious as to the why people are choosing the Tori IV.  Is it price or something else?  I had originally ordered a Tori IV but when the ZMA came under development I switched to that.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/04/21 at 00:56:47

Congrats, Skip - I love my Torii Mk IV w/ anniversary mods!

Right now the house is empty, so I sipping on a margarita, and chilling with some Bossa Nova on the Torii... Cool

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 05/04/21 at 01:10:23

And as an owner of the SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with the Mods I wonder why anyone would want a push pull amp of any kind. We're all different with different needs and wants!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/04/21 at 01:28:11

I was asking a sincere question.  I wasn't plugging the ZMA.  Obviously people have individual preferences and I was asking what they were in this case, Torii IV vs ZMA.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Skip
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 05/04/21 at 01:57:15

Piezoman,

Thanks for the welcome.

I ordered the Torii MK4 with the 25th anniversary mods, as well.
I need to read up on the various output tubes. I'm going with the stock tubes to start, then after burn-in, make a decision.

"You only live once"...haha...I used to say that all the time. Then someone said to me, "actually, you only die once...you LIVE everyday". Good point.

Cheers,
Skip

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/04/21 at 02:03:44

Skip, you're most welcome! Congrats on the order and stepping up with the mods.

Arch's post does have me thinking though.....my mind swirls again....

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/04/21 at 02:22:37

I’m not sure exactly why, when I first became aware of Decware I was immediately drawn to the Torii MK4. I’ve always been happy and content with my decision to get the Torii MK4. Interestingly I’ve listened to the Torii MK4 the least and the ZMA the most. I’ve also spent some time with the UFO25th.

They are all phenomenal amps!

The thing is, they are different. I get why people really fall for the Decware SET amps. If I had the UFO25TH I would be very happy. After hearing the ZMA or Torii MK4 I would want one of them. I guess I prefer the Decware PP sound. That said, I’m considering ordering a pair of UFO3-25th mono blocks.

Looking at it from a power perspective 25 vs. 40 watts is just about nothing. According to http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html the difference between 25 and 40 watts is 2.1dB at 8 feet, 2dB at 10 feet.

Currently I’m listening to the UFO25TH on the Pure Audio Project Quintet 15’s that’s 8 x 15 inch drivers! I’m getting more volume than I want 98.2% of the time. I still prefer the Decware PP sound. It’s not about power, it’s about the emotional connection, the mind altering experience, reality bending experience music can be. The Torii MK4 delivers this! The ZMA and UFO25TH do this too, the ability for ME to experience this is easiest with the Torii MK4.

I’m looking forward to finally getting my Torii MK4 back and spending more time with it. (it was 8,500+ miles away in another country for the last year+). My Torii MK4 is currently at the mothership getting converted from 230v to 120v and having the MiFlex caps installed. Once it’s back it will have fresh caps, I’ll have a chance to compare it to the ZMA.

Photo for fun Smiley

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/04/21 at 02:51:04

REALLY NICE, Groove! I'm gassed  [smiley=beer.gif]

IP Logged
Skip
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 05/04/21 at 05:23:50

Archie,

In the end it was mostly about the $. When I first got on Decware's website, I read everything, about every amp offered. My head was spinning...haha. I went back and fourth for days. At some point I just landed on the Torii MK4. I liked the description of the amp and liked that it had 25 watts. I listen primarily to a set of Klipsch Forte 1's. They're old but have been gone through with new crossovers, tweeter diaphragms , and wiring.

Cheers,
Skip

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 05/04/21 at 06:41:53

I don't think Steve offers any bad amps.  It's nice that he serves different price points.  I figured if $ were no issue I'd go Mono Blocks for the power end and the UFO25 if I could get away with a few watts.  Although, I've never heard anything other than my ZMA.

Several years ago Steve posted some power curves for the ZMA and I think I recall it actually performing at 140W peak.  I get the impression that the 2W UFO25 peaks far higher than its rating too.

Trying to pick a "best" amp to buy based on Steve's impressions is hopeless though.  Every time he releases a new or improved amp I want that one!  lol

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #14 - 05/04/21 at 07:17:48

Skip,

First off welcome to the forum and congratulations on purchasing the Torii MKIV.  I just took delivery of my Torii MKIV just al little over a week ago after placing my order back in October.  I plan to post my first impressions of the amp in the upcoming days, but I can tell you that you will not be disappointed.  From the first moment you turn on the amp, you will be grinning from ear to ear.  My amp has the full the 25th Anniversay mods, including the Miflex caps along with the glass resistors.  If you can swing the cost, I highly recommend adding them to your order, as well as the KT66 tubes.  

When I joined the forum over 7 years ago, the Torii MKIV was Decware’s second most expensive offering next to the Monoblocks.  The ZMA then filled in that gap a few years later.    As Archie stated...Decware does not make a bad amp.  They do have their own sonic signature, but they all sound phenomenal in their own way.    

Everyone here on this forum are truly helpful, so feel free to ask questions.

Congratulations again!
Dominick

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Skip
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 05/04/21 at 14:45:56

Dominick,

Thanks for the welcome. It's great to hear from all you MKIV owners.

I'm a bit confused now, regarding the 25th anniversary mods option. At the bottom of the MKIV options sheet it shows the two 25th anniversary mods options; the glass resistor mod and the copper by-pass mods. So does going with those two options take in the entire 25th anniversary package? Or is there something I'm missing. Undecided

Skip

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #16 - 05/04/21 at 17:12:49

Skip....the copper bypass mod is considered the 25th Anniversay mod.  The glass resistors are optional.  According to Steve the glass resistors are a bit hard to hear, but I’m sure Steve wouldn’t offer them if it did not make a difference in a very revealing system.  I felt that that the internals are important enough that adding them upfront was the way to go for me. You will be happy either way, so don’t sweat it.  If you are undecided, put a call into Steve with a scheduled appointment.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Skip
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 05/06/21 at 20:36:54

Well I woke up yesterday morning knowing I just wouldn't be satisfied not hearing one of the SET amps. This morning I cancelled my order for the Torii MKIV and ordered a SE84UFO25 and a CSP325.

I am now a proud member of the "Flip-Flop Society". Cool

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #18 - 05/06/21 at 22:40:57

Aww, You should have stayed with the Torii.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #19 - 05/06/21 at 22:58:06

Hey Skip....it’s summer time 😎...so there’s nothing wrong with being a part of the “flip-flop” society.  I’m more of a Croc guy myself, so it’s all good.  These amps are a lifelong investment so it’s not a decision to take lightly.  Congrats!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print