Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 19:52:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CSP3 w/Anniversary Mods and Miflex Caps (Read 5141 times)
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

CSP3 w/Anniversary Mods and Miflex Caps
05/03/21 at 01:18:58

I have about 50 hours on the CSP3 now, possibly more, and I'm finally able to figure out what it's doing.  I thought I would give some insights at the 25 hour mark but I've had to reset settings on the UFO25 as well as the ZR2-A and make two tube changes.  The ZR2 now has a mid 50's GE 12AU7WA'6189 and the CSP3 input tube is now a ADZAM/Philips E188CC.  Also I have made changes to the gain structure of the system.  As I made these adjustments the WOW factor kept escalating and became a motivating factor in starting from zero.

The major change is that everything is now emanating from the blackest background you can imagine, not dark, just pure black.  The analogy that comes to mind is that of looking at a night sky away from city light pollution.  The smallest stars become visible, nothing competes everything is presented in a harmony that is completely captivating, because the sky is now BLACK.

The CSP3 is now the equivalent of that black sky.  The slightest sound, texture, timber is obvious from beginning to the last decay.  This does not require analysis.  It's just as obvious audibly as the stars that are presented visibly on that black background.  It's not about details, it's about beauty and fun.

Is it because of the input tube? No.  I had that tube in the input position prior to having the CSP3 modded and didn't care for it then.  Now the CSP3
is able to bring out the best character of that tube.

The sound, vocals and music now becomes an immersive experience that is just plain fun, in fact his is the most fun I've had yet.

IP Logged
JohnWatson

Re: CSP3 w/Anniversary Mods and Miflex Caps
Reply #1 - 05/03/21 at 21:32:45

That's nice to hear, I am settling in for my 6 month wait for the CSP3 I ordered a couple weeks ago.  After much back and forth I finally decided to pull the trigger and add it to my UFO25.  Your comments are a nice confidence booster that I did the right thing.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/03/21 at 22:55:50

JohnWatson, that's going to be a crazy good set up.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #3 - 05/04/21 at 01:50:03

Joman,

I’m green with envy! Next on my audio to-do list is sending mine in for the mods. I had planned on doing that before now, but have not been able to work it into my budget.

Your description doesn’t make it any easier to have to wait!

Anyway, glad everything is gelling for you!

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/04/21 at 05:39:56

John & Geno, to quote HockessinKid that's going to be a crazy good set up.

Be happy that you have waited, "good things come to those who wait".  I think that the Miflex are contributing factor.  Not that I'm in any rush to send my UFO25 in for a cap change.  One would think that the Jupiters in it may be a limiting factor.  I don't think they are even though they are downstream.  It seems that the combo just likes to play together and have fun!

When you do get yours be prepared to let things settle in and as they do take time to work with your gain settings and the settings of the bias input on the amp and the speaker settings as well.

I have been listening since I posted but I'll refrain from commenting as I do not want your wait to be any more difficult than it already is, what I will say is... the wait is worth it!

IP Logged
tubeshy
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 05/04/21 at 20:06:28

I keep saying that once my fully "kitchen sink'd ZP3 arrives then I'm done with my system but I have to say if I make another change it will be to a CSP3. I don't hate my current linestage but its a complicated relationship.

IP Logged
JohnWatson

Reply #6 - 05/04/21 at 20:39:20

Funny, that's what I thought after the UFO25...that's it.  Since then it's been the CSP3,  different speaker cables, another DAC and a Subwoofer.  I have to say the Sub was way overdo.  I have it sitting right next to me and I now have a very nice bass coming from my Heresys.  I didn't think I needed one until I added it and now I highly recommend adding one to them.

IP Logged
tubeshy
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 07/06/21 at 22:21:12

Nice! I, too am running Heresy (IV) speakers and love them. I also have them with a set of Rythmik subs (my room gobbles up bass). I'm very happy with it how it sits but my current phono isn't endgame. That's where the ZP3 comes in. Then I'm set.

I hate buying gear as there's no guarantee a great piece of gear will sound great in my system, plus its expensive and anxiety inducing. I'm excited to not have to buy any more. That said I can see selling my current line stage and going with the ZP3.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/07/21 at 02:21:55

Hey John, thats great news!

I'm motivated to modify my CSP3 with Miflex caps, DIY, and save the expense.

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 07/13/21 at 21:04:24

Hey Brad,

Just noticed this, been distracted lately.  If your CSP3 is the Anniversary edition or has the mods I would speak with Steve to see how much of a difference the Miflex make and whether he would recommend that changing caps is a candidate for DIY.  

In my case the Miflex were part of the A-Mods as mine was not an Anniversary edition and Steve also felt that it needed some additional work.  So the end result was the cumulative effect of everything that was done, which is SHOCKINGLY GOOD!  

I usually do not like to recommend that someone follows suit as tastes vary but in this case I strongly recommend the A-mods with the Miflex for the CSP-3.  

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #10 - 08/20/21 at 15:18:31

Could anyone expand for me what is meant by the "Miflex Caps?"  Is this something that differentiates the CSP3 from the CSP325?  Unless I missed it, I do not see Miflex Caps listed under either on the website.  I assume this is not a reference to the "Copper Bypass Mod?"  Thanks, I was enjoying reading JOMAN's post, then realized I had no idea what was meant by this descriptor.  Thanks.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 08/20/21 at 15:30:08

Mentioned on the forum, though not updated yet on the website pages I believe, is that due to unavailablity of parts the Jupiter caps that Steve had been using as the "upgrade" caps in the build and for the bypass Anniversary mods are being replaced with Miflex caps, the copper model I believe.

I have these as an upgrade to the second ZROCK2 I purchased and they are excellent sounding, not vastly different from the Jupiter caps, each are great choices.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #12 - 08/21/21 at 04:23:45

Got it. Thanks Lon.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
kulafu
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 08/21/21 at 12:38:21

Omega SAMS,Altec 604C in O/B,UFO25th/Cary SET Monos/Torii Jr,CSP3 25th Holo May KTE ,HQP/USB/Pulse/EtherRegen, Roon/Thorens 1600(Decware ICs, speaker wires/Equi=Core 1800)
Caintuck Lii 15s, T6s, CSP3 25tt , Elekit 8900,IFI Zen Stream, Pontus I
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #14 - 08/21/21 at 15:27:38

Very helpful indeed.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print