04/18/24 at 14:34:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vintage Speakers (Read 1444 times)
Kinger
Verified Member

Vintage Speakers
04/25/21 at 00:14:15

I just purchased the entry level Super Zen Triode, the one that sells for 995.00 I plan on using my vintage Altec Valencia speakers which have a
sensitivity of 97 to drive it. Has anyone else tried any of the vintage speakers like Altec or JBL and if so how did they sound?

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Re: Vintage Speakers
Reply #1 - 04/25/21 at 02:46:37

Hello Kinger,
While I don't have any direct experience with your speaker or others of its type, they should thrive being driven by the Zen. High sensitivity and a benign impedance curve are just what the doctor ordered for this amp.
I expect, and predict, that you will be very pleasantly surprised at what you hear.
Welcome to the Decware family

Cheers,              Crazy Bill

IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Re: Vintage Speakers
Reply #2 - 04/25/21 at 14:51:16

That is what this amp the amp was born to do!  I cannot speak to that specific speaker, but this amp is a favorite for things like horn-loaded speakers (a lot of Klipsch stuff), full-range drivers (often very high sensitivity, look at the sort of products in the speaker Store on Decware, those are all a perfect match), or any speakers designed to be sensitive (Zu Audio, Tekton, etc.).

I'm a week into my UFO2, and playing them on an 'inappropriate' 89 dB sensitivity floor standing speaker is just a blast!!!  Plenty loud for hours of listening, and the speakers have never sounded better or more alive.

This amp punches FAR above its class, with the only catch being it does not have a ton of power, which is not an issue for most people and with sensitive speakers (like yours)...is not a problem at all.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print