Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 12:47:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zen UFO2 and Steller GCD (Read 3823 times)
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Zen UFO2 and Steller GCD
04/21/21 at 16:05:14

So my UFO is 3mths in the order list and I have 30-60 days for any last minute changes. I have an email into Steve with some room and other questions but know it will be a while till he can get to it. If necessary will phone him. My question for the forum guru's is this. As per my system info I have a Steller Gain cell PRE-DAC that I would love to keep in system, mainly for DAC and remote. Does anyone have experience with this unit and DECWARE amps? If it is very likely a good match (that does not detract) I would consider the XLR outputs as DAC has them as well. Are the XLR connects an advantage and how? New to tubes and about 2years in on my audio journey. Driving Klipsch Heresy 1 rebuilt. Thanks for any assistance

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Zen UFO2 and Steller GCD
Reply #1 - 04/21/21 at 18:33:07

Hey Bilyeaux.

Though DACs and Pre's are clearly a vast arena of sonic variability and associated costs, I suspect your DAC/pre will just sound better with your UFO. So if you like what it does now, you will probably like it with your new amp.

As to the balanced option on the UFO2, if you feel like you can use the full gain addition from your DAC balanced outs, getting the built-in transformer setup might be great. It is not just balanced out you get, but it runs the signal through some good sounding transformers which clarify the resolution smoothly.

With my DAC, I don't prefer the in DAC volume even though it is supposed to be ultra transparent, so I run it wide open. And through the balanced outs, it runs 6 volts rather the 3 volts through the RCAs. I like the bolder/denser sound with more voltage, but not the full 6 volts here.

I am a real fan of gain adjustments, and I use a ZBIT, which is a separate component that is basically the same transformers, but with a variable gain, so you can tune the output voltage to tastes, and being its own component, it can be used with different amps if that ever happens.

This may or may not be an advantage depending on preferences. Adding a pair of RCAs in the blend, a gain pot, and requiring another pair of  ICs, it does add stuff in the signal path compared to having the non-gain adjustable transformers built in.

But for me, I am glad to have the gain adjustment for tuning gains between components for the best sound. I do "gain riding," where you can keep the same volume while turning up the ZBIT and down the amp, or visa versa, changing the character of the signal with more or less voltage from the ZBIT. More ZBIT voltage makes the sound bigger, more powerful, dynamic, present, weighty etc, and less calms all these areas....I really like this for fine tuning the system gains together, and for adjusting for different recordings styles, able to beef up a lean recording some, and tone down and open darker/thicker ones.

But it sounds like the volume adjustment on your DAC remote is important to you. In this case, gain riding may not be your thing, having to manually adjust things. The ZBIT then might or might not an advantage to you for tuning the average system sound. I never use my ZBIT wide open, finding the full voltage from the DAC through it to be too much. Generally I run it in the 2 o'clock to maybe a little less than 4:30 for my system, but I think some might run it wide open.

Hopefully others will comment. And it might be a thing to talk with Steve about if you talk. There are a number of Decware components with this same non-gain adjustable option out there, and it might be just fine for you.

Hope this helps some,

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/22/21 at 16:50:11

Will, first off thank you for your response. From what I gather reading this forum since October 20' or so you have a wonderful reputation for knowledge and willingness to assistance, to even the most humble wanta-be audio folks.
I am new to pretty much all of this. Started with 76 Heresy's, Philips TT, and a Yamaha receiver at 18. Had it till 32 yo and out for a while till I inherited my brothers 74 Heresy's two years ago. Just listened in between, loud mostly and not critical.
In response to your great information I ask or reply;

I certainly hope my PRE-DAC sounds better!

Balanced XLR-I will be getting the UFO2 I believe (on fence with Rachael) and really don't know if I can use the gain? I have read about the gain riding (probably from one of your replies) and it sounds cool. Does this apply with a Zen amp and its gain control and my PRE-DAC? AMP gain up/down with PRE gain?

My unit is an PS Audio Gain Cell DAC-Analog gain cell instead of typical volume controls, fully balanced analog PRE with DAC Sabre 32 bit Hyperstream tech class A (this from web site/manual) Mostly Greek to me....

Certainly may go with Zbit if needed. The big one is my PRE-DAC, will it fit well so I won't need/want to go for the CSP3 as then I will need to add a good DAC as my sources would be weak link I'm sure.

Thanks again for your help. I just don't want to spend 650 for XLR unless it very positively affects my outcome and I just don't have the experience to make that determination.

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/22/21 at 20:57:42

Guessing you have checked this out, but if not, the first question might be: what is the real efficiency of your particular Heresys after any upgrades you might have? This might make the SE84 versus Rachel a more, or less important choice. Whether an amp is loud enough for you would depend on speaker efficiency, room size, how far you are from your speakers, listening preferences and sometimes more. If you feel on the edge power-wise, you said you liked loud, but measured dBs from your listening seat, though not perfect, would give a clearer frame of reference as to how loud loud is. And if you don't have a meter, you can get pretty nice ones for smart phones with some research. Also, you may have come across them, but there seem to be more and more threads these days about "pairing" different speakers (speaker efficiencies) with Decware amps that you might find interesting. Even if they are not referencing your speakers specifically, these might give some insights into matching lower power amps with everything else and expected effects.

As to the DAC sounding better, if your new amp sounds better, yours being a current DAC by a company a lot of pretty serious listeners like, your DAC will likely sound better. I can't be positive,  but my guess is that this is likely a case where a more resolving and liquid presentation from the amp, will let the DAC do its thing better, more than showing problems with the DAC.

Personally I can't answer the DAC pre versus ZBIT or other Decware pre stage without trying it. But it brings up a few considerations.

Checking this on my DAC, perhaps with a different gain design, I hear pretty subtle differences in musical attributes from riding its gain with my Torii gain. Maybe a little, but negligible with a quick test. The main thing I hear is that it does not sound quite as good to me (in this very resolving system/room). So guessing it is designed to not change the character of the sound at different gain levels. Whereas, riding the ZBIT with the Torii makes notable differences in signal intensity and associated dynamics, weight, clarity, etc. And the CSP3 makes more than the ZBIT, the CSP3 having much more of a voltage range. The CSP3 being a lot like an OTL amp made as a preamp (Output TransformerLess using tubes as the output instead of transformers), it imparts a bigger dose of its tube and design qualities on the sound as well as loads of voltage potential.

So I am sorry, I can't answer your question about DAC gain riding, and hope others who have experience with the "Gain Cell" can help. But I would imagine it might be designed as a transparent volume to give a similar sound from the DAC at different volumes. And if you can't easily figure this out to your satisfaction, you could try it once your amp comes, and see if it works, then consider adding a ZBIT and/or CSP3 later.

Another consideration in this would go back to my first comment here. If your amp is close to maxed out in your room, cutting the gain from the DAC might quickly kill any headroom you have. Alternately let's look at a high gain CSP3 between DAC and amp. Assuming your DAC voltage out matches or exceeds the recommended voltage for your amp inputs, the CSP3 would not make your amp notably louder per se, the amp maxing out at a given level anyway before distortion. But you would not loose anything, and the CSP3 would add its tube and other design character, with liquid gain riding clarity, tonal, dynamics, weight and density tuning.... The CSP's sonic contributions/characters being imparted using gain balancing between amp and CSP3, you can variably adjust the qualities of the sound you do have from your amp with the sonic characters of the CSP3.

The ZBIT would not be the same, but similar. Being simpler in design, having no tubes, and not adding voltage itself like the CSP3 can, its max voltage being the same as your DAC balanced-out voltage. But balanced typically creates more output voltage than that from the RCAs out. So the upper parts of the ZBIT gain range would be higher voltage than the RCAs, adding more signal power from the DAC, and that signal intensity being adjustable with the ZBIT. So it gives the things many of us like about having adjustable voltage. Associated, the ZBIT transformers do more than allowing higher gain from the DAC. As the signal goes through them, they sound like they do something, not just alike, but "tube-like" to me. They seem to clarify and articulate the signal with smoothness, giving a greater sense of musical resolution and density. So to me, it is more than just a way to get more voltage into the amp, and a gain adjustment.

I think the XLR inputs on the SE84 would offer the latter traits from the transformers like the ZBIT's, but without direct gain adjustment on the transformers... This is not just the same as a ZBIT, not being a separate component, so having less to run the signal through, but I think it would be more-or-less like a ZBIT on full gain, which could be nice also.

I hope this helps!

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/23/21 at 03:33:48

PS: Sorry, I forgot to write more specifically about something really important with most of Steve's pre components. With the pre stages that can up the voltage over the usual source output, by increasing the voltage (gain) in the pre, while keeping the same volume we hear by turning the amp down, sonically, you increase all the things I mentioned before, but the dynamic contrasts can be so notable I thought I should give it more attention.... For example, if you "gain ride" the ZBIT or CSP3 gains with the SE84 volume/gain, keeping the same volume by turning the SE84 down as you turn up the pre stage, by increasing the pre voltage beyond the source component voltage, it does all the things I mentioned earlier, but with more clarity and potentially a quite notable increase in dynamic contrasts as you crank up the pre stage in the balance.

IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/26/21 at 16:42:12

Will, sorry for the slow get back. Great info, had to read a few times to get  a good feel.
Heresy's did not change according to Crites 98db
These are my brothers speakers I inherited and could not part with them.
Room is 14.6 x 14.10 x 10avg, I know a square......
Typically listen up to about 85 AVG db on my Iphone app.
Jazz mostly, new and classic, blues, classical, rock in that order.
From all I've read most remarks are that UFO2 would be enough power. And if my PRE-DAC is good then all good! If not then CSP3 likely next step. I will first break in amp direct to source, then experiment.

Thanks for the time and effort in your responses!

Bilyeaux

IP Logged
JohnWatson

Reply #6 - 04/26/21 at 19:28:32

Klipsch Heresy as well as most or all of the Heritage line is a perfect match for the UFO.  You will love the combination.    

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print